PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to the World Series Champion St. Louis Cardinals!!!

spawn
10-28-2011, 11:41 PM
You've proven that getting hot at the right time does matter! :gulp:

Moses_Scurry
10-28-2011, 11:44 PM
It's cool seeing them celebrate at home. That is the only thing I wish was different about the 2005 Series.

soxnut1018
10-28-2011, 11:50 PM
We can all rejoice in the fact that Nick Punto has more rings than Ted Williams.

DumpJerry
10-28-2011, 11:53 PM
We can all rejoice in the fact that Nick Punto has more rings than Ted Williams.
So does Geoff Blum.

Fenway
10-28-2011, 11:53 PM
This is more improbable than the 2006 win.

Congrats to St. Louis

Viva Medias B's
10-28-2011, 11:54 PM
Congrats to Edwin Jackson and Octavio Dotel for getting rings.

BoysMom3
10-28-2011, 11:55 PM
That was a seriously exciting series!! Congrats, Cards!

spawn
10-28-2011, 11:56 PM
So does Geoff Blum.
And Willie Harris.

GlassSox
10-28-2011, 11:59 PM
Congrats to the red birds. That was a great series. What a post season by Freese.

StillMissOzzie
10-29-2011, 12:00 AM
You've proven that getting hot at the right time does matter! :gulp:

True, but so is having home field advantage as determined by an otherwise meaningless exhibition game.

Edit: Not to mention a rainout that allowed Carpenter to pitch game 7. I doubt he gets the ball on 2 days rest.

SMO
:gulp:

Fenway
10-29-2011, 12:49 AM
How viewers outside of the US saw the end of Game 6

Gary Thorne with the call

gRj-27eqZhg

LongLiveFisk
10-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Congrats to the Cards, but I feel really bad for the Rangers and their fans. Two years in a row. :scratch:

Soxman219
10-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Exuberance for Cardinals fans
Heartbreak for Rangers fans.

That's baseball though. The Cardinals WS run proves that has long as you are hot going in and get some breaks, you can win it all.

AnkleSox
10-29-2011, 12:29 PM
I've always had a soft spot for the Cards because of family and friends in St. Louis, plus always having a good time when I've gone to games down there. However, part of me wanted to see the Rangers win this even though I hate Texas sports. Hopefully for their sake they don't become the Buffalo Bills of the 90s.

Soxman24
10-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Wow, I picked them to win each series they were in but I voted with my heart (They are my N.L team Sox always come first). I didn't think it would actually happen , Go Cards and congratulations!!!:gulp::gulp::gulp:

downstairs
10-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Congrats to the Cards, but I feel really bad for the Rangers and their fans. Two years in a row. :scratch:

They're half way to Buffalo Bills land.

tebman
10-29-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm not much of a gambler but I know enough never to bet on baseball. A good thing, too, because I'd picked the Rangers to take it all and do it quickly. Shows how much I know. :tongue:

A series like this just reminds me again why I enjoy this game so much. Giamatti was right when he said that when you need it most, it's gone.

thechico
10-29-2011, 04:01 PM
(They are my N.L team Sox always come first). I didn't think it would actually happen , Go Cards and congratulations!!!:gulp::gulp::gulp:

I'll second that motion. :-)

SOXSINCE'70
10-29-2011, 04:02 PM
The more impressive thing,to me at least,is that they did this WITHOUT Adam Wainwright, who they lost
to season ending Tommy John surgery during Spring Training.Imagine how good they could have been with
even a HALF season of Wainwright starts

Fenway
10-29-2011, 04:07 PM
I do think it is wrong for a wild card team to have home field but....

Under the old system the AL would have had home field being an odd year.

sox1970
10-29-2011, 04:15 PM
I do think it is wrong for a wild card team to have home field but....

Under the old system the AL would have had home field being an odd year.

Post strike of 94, the odd year was NL.

Fenway
10-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Post strike of 94, the odd year was NL.

I forgot about that - I stand corrected.

MLB claims they can't use best record as they need some leadtime to set up hotels. MLB really got burnt in 2004 when they CANCELLED the reservations in Boston and St. Louis wound up staying at a Marriott in the Boston burbs. LaRussa was livid.

Their stay in Boston was miserable on and off the field. A shortage of hotel rooms in downtown Boston, caused partly by the annual Head of the Charles Regatta last weekend, forced the Cardinals to a hotel in Quincy, Mass., a 45-minute bus ride from Fenway Park.

The Boston hotels demanded that MLB pay for the reservations as the boat race people needed rooms. MLB figured with Boston down 0-3 there was no chance.

sox1970
10-29-2011, 04:37 PM

MLB claims they can't use best record as they need some leadtime to set up hotels. MLB really got burnt in 2004 when they CANCELLED the reservations in Boston and St. Louis wound up staying at a Marriott in the Boston burbs. LaRussa was livid.

The Boston hotels demanded that MLB pay for the reservations as the boat race people needed rooms. MLB figured with Boston down 0-3 there was no chance.

I've always thought the logistics of hotels was a crock.

When they expand the playoffs--either division winner trumps wildcard winner always, or best record of two division winners in the World Series.

If I had it my way with no divisions, then just higher seed would get homefield.

Another thing they have to lose is the rule about two teams from the same division playing in the DS. When they expand the playoffs, that rule has to go too.

Oblong
10-29-2011, 04:55 PM

MLB claims they can't use best record as they need some leadtime to set up hotels. e.

I've thought about that as a reason.... then I wonder... how on earth do the NBA and NHL manage?

I don't think that's what it is. They just did it that way "because" for decades, then they needed a gimmick.

DSpivack
10-29-2011, 05:14 PM
I've thought about that as a reason.... then I wonder... how on earth do the NBA and NHL manage?

I don't think that's what it is. They just did it that way "because" for decades, then they needed a gimmick.

As he said about 2004, obviously they don't know which city it will be played in until the LCS ends.

TDog
10-29-2011, 05:29 PM
True, but so is having home field advantage as determined by an otherwise meaningless exhibition game.

Edit: Not to mention a rainout that allowed Carpenter to pitch game 7. I doubt he gets the ball on 2 days rest.

SMO
:gulp:

This year's All-Star game was vindication for the winner deciding homefield advantage. Washington might have managed it as if it was a meaningless game. Putting in Wilson was a big reason the AL lost. Bochy certainly didn't manage the All-Star Game like it was a meaningless game, and the game wasn't close. Look at who Bochy did and did not bring into the game.

You could flip a coin to decide which league or team should open an potentially close the World Series or alternate leagues the way they used to. Both would be fairer, or at least no more arbitrary, than comparing records from teams in different leagues who play under different rules. Managers who have been to the World Series generally have hopes of getting back. They should have incentive to make the All-Star Game mean something.

Really, though, I am surprised the Cardinals needed a homefield advantage to beat the Rangers. I thought the Cardinals were the better team. Neither team had great pitching. I thought the Phillies and Brewers were better than the Cardinals, but I believed the Cardinals held the edge over the Rangers, especially with Molina shutting down the running game. The Rangers might have lost Game 2 but for a misplay in the ninth by Puljos. If the Rangers should have won Game 6, the Cardinals should have won Game 5.

It would be disrespectful to attribute the Cardinals championship to simply getting hot at the right time. Playing your best baseball when you get to the postseason is always a part of winning a championship. In 1964, the Cardinals were 6.5 games out with 12 to go in September 1964, and they beat the Yankees in October. The White Sox certainly got hot at the right time in 2005, but they led their division wire-to-wire and finished with the most wins in their league, despite what some remember as their historic collapse. But the Rays were the hottest team in the AL when they faced the Rangers this October, and the Rays went down fairly easily.

The Rangers played so poorly in Game 7, and even in Game 6, that I don't see how anyone could blame it on the homefield advantage. Does anyone not have a list of right fielders they believe would have caught the triple that tied the game in the ninth? From now on, when I see someone totally lose it, I will compare that to a Rangers pitcher one strike away from winning the World Series.

In a way, the Rangers have become Cubs light. They are the oldest franchise (including their DC roots) never to have won a World Series. And just when they appear to be poised to win (although with the Cubs it isn't winning but getting to the World Series -- maybe later 20th century Red Sox is a better example), they lose it in such memorable ways.

Personally, because of the years I spent in Texas, I was happy to see the Cardinals win, especially in such a memorable way. Last year there wasn't much shame in losing to a clearly superior team. This year, what kind of a team allows two runs while down a run in the seventh game of the World Series without allowing a hit in the inning?

And I was happy not to see Nolan Ryan win another ring.

Fenway
10-29-2011, 06:09 PM
As he said about 2004, obviously they don't know which city it will be played in until the LCS ends.

Another headache is the media. While MLB officials, FOX and the teams use charters, the rest of the media is left to scramble.

On a personal level, the Cup finals this year were a horror show travel wise. Vancouver to Boston to Vancouver to Boston and Vancouver again with only the one travel day. The Boston outlets flew everybody into Seattle and then rent cars to travel the 100 miles to Vancouver simply because Bos-SeaTac had more flights and was much cheaper.

The person in charge of all this for MLB is Eddie Einhorn's daughter. She is in charge of all MLB 'special events'.

But in the end Texas blew 2 run leads in the 9th AND 10th of Game 6....

ChiSoxGirl
10-29-2011, 11:32 PM
I'm not much of a gambler but I know enough never to bet on baseball. A good thing, too, because I'd picked the Rangers to take it all and do it quickly. Shows how much I know. :tongue:

A series like this just reminds me again why I enjoy this game so much. Giamatti was right when he said that when you need it most, it's gone.

You said it! :thumbsup: I went to bed after the sixth inning on the night of Game 6, since I have to be up at 6:00 in the morning for school and when I woke up on Friday, I was stunned to find out what I'd missed. When I heard about it, I said that games like the one on Thursday (and really throughout all of the month of October) are the reason why baseball is the greatest game in the world.

thomas35forever
10-30-2011, 12:49 AM
We better get our tickets for the Sox series at Busch next year quickly. I doubt there'll be many available.

manders_01
10-30-2011, 01:04 AM
We better get our tickets for the Sox series at Busch next year quickly. I doubt there'll be many available.

I told my nephew, who is a Cardinals fan (always has been) and graduating from HS in the spring, that if the games were close to when I would be home, that would be his present. Depends on when my sister schedules his party; it might be close. I better at least be able to get he and I tickets!

Fenway
10-30-2011, 04:00 AM
The big winner is this guy

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/lucky-gambler-rakes-375-000-winning-st-louis-cardinals-bets-worth-500-article-1.969071

rockinrobin23
10-30-2011, 12:18 PM
congrats cards fans...i know my mom is super happy in haven cuz her redbirds won it all...go crazy mom go crazy mom

SOXPHILE
10-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Congrats Cardinals. Like others have posted, they have always been my 2nd team, only to the White Sox, favorite NL team. Also have had good times in St. Louis back in my "yute", when we used to stop there in the summer for a day or two on the way to visit my grandmother who had retired down to Mt. Home, Arkansas, as it was about the halfway point. Actually made a quick visit back to St.Louis this past Labor Day weekend, and went to a Cardinal game. That was pretty cool, and I obviously brought them the luck and karma needed to win the Series. So outside of the Sox winning it all, this is the next best thing for me.

On a little side note, I was out with a couple of friends on Friday night at some establishments in Wrigleyville, and got to see the Cardinals win it while figuratively, and literally if the sun was up, in the shadow of Wrigley Field. Absolutely hilarious.

Lip Man 1
10-30-2011, 11:35 PM
If the White Sox can't win the series, it's always a good year when the eventual winner isn't the Yankees, Red Sox or Cubs.

Congrats to the Cardinals.

Lip

cub killer
10-31-2011, 05:08 AM
http://i.imgur.com/FTwXV.gif

soxfanreggie
10-31-2011, 06:42 AM

You're talking a pittance for a multi-billion league. That's pathetic that they wouldn't just have the rooms no matter what.

On another note, congratulations to the Cards on their 11th in 2011.

Oblong
10-31-2011, 08:35 AM

Yes, I understand that. However, neither does the NBA or NHL know which city and on what days their championship games will be played until the conclusion of their respective series. How is this any different? They seem to be able to figure it out. What makes MLB unique?

I simply don't buy that as a valid excuse. Back in the day they figured the NL and AL were different enough that it wasn't fair to base it on record due to unbalanced schedules and it was easier logistically for them so they went with the alternate years out of tradition.

I can see why they'd do it because it's easier/cheaper knowing ahead of time but I don't accept that they have to do it that way. The NHL and NBA are able to make it work and they also have a 2-3-2 format in their championships.

The Cardinals were my NL team growing up in the 80's. But now with La Russa and after 2006, no more. So no congratulations to them. I am happy for their fans though. It's a real baseball town.

chisoxfanatic
10-31-2011, 08:46 AM
If the White Sox can't win the series, it's always a good year when the eventual winner isn't the Yankees, Red Sox or Cubs.

Congrats to the Cardinals.

Lip
Believe it or not, but the playoffs went 100% the way that I had wanted them to go! The outcomes to every series in every round went my way. I don't recall that ever happening in previous years...Plus, both teams I wanted to get the wild cards did!

This playoff year couldn't have gone any better...Well, of course, unless it involved the Sox kicking butt like they did in 2005.

Oblong
10-31-2011, 09:08 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/8590096/33004320

I didn't realize that there were 38 out of a possible 41 games played in the playoffs. 3 of the 4 LDS went 5 games and both LCS went 6.

It was really a great month of baseball.

TommyJohn
10-31-2011, 09:19 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/8590096/33004320

I didn't realize that there were 38 out of a possible 41 games played in the playoffs. 3 of the 4 LDS went 5 games and both LCS went 6.

It was really a great month of baseball.

Before the playoffs started I felt that all the matchups were great-I didn't think there was a weak team in the bunch. I was happy that psycho/whacko/nutjob/schizo/jerko Kirk Gibson got forearm-shivered out in the first round, and in such great fashion. Go scream on a street corner, nutboy. I was mad that the other jagoff (LaRussa) wasn't eliminated-until I realized that they had the Ex-White Sox Factor on their side, at which point I realized that they were pre-ordained to win, and I predicted correctly that they would. Thanks, y'all. I accept your praise.

Trivia note: The 2011 Cardinals join the 2000 Yankees and the 2001 Diamondbacks as the third World Series winner since 1995 to go the five game distance in the LDS.

Lip Man 1
11-03-2011, 05:25 PM
The Cardinals have something in common with the White Sox...both got screwed out of the traditional cover shot for Sports Illustrated, replaced by a football themed cover.

Guess it wasn't the Yankees or Red Sox so no one cared.

Lip

Fenway
11-03-2011, 06:40 PM
The Cardinals have something in common with the White Sox...both got screwed out of the traditional cover shot for Sports Illustrated, replaced by a football themed cover.

Lip

http://www.sicovers.com/data/default/images/catalog/medium/SPR20111107GBP.jpg

TommyJohn
11-03-2011, 07:02 PM

Lip

At least the White Sox aren't alone.

cub killer
11-06-2011, 07:37 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61V9Ev6UpnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Texas-Triumph-2011-World-Champions/dp/1597253626/

:?: