PDA

View Full Version : What was your favorite '05 World Series moment?

thomas35forever
10-26-2011, 05:42 PM
For me, definitely Pods' walkoff since it was so unexpected.

Chez
10-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Paulie's grand slam. It felt like time stood still when he connected. I was watching the game from my hotel room at the Detroit airport and remember shouting (to no one), "Oh my God" upon contact.

sox1970
10-26-2011, 05:49 PM
All of them, plus Bud handing the trophy to Reinsdorf.

palehosepub
10-26-2011, 06:01 PM
I have been fortunate to have attended hundreds of Sox games including every Sox playoff home game from 1993 on but by far the greatest moment I have ever experienced at any sporting event was Paul Konerko's grand slam. I felt just absolute elation -it was surreal, almost dreamlike.... the kind of stuff you daydream about...

nsolo
10-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Pod's walk off home run. I'm 56 years old, have been a Sox fan for as long as I can remember. Same for my parents and grandparents.

It was a magical season, and when the Sox finally got into the Series, I was so nervous having never before experienced the same. But when Pod's was running around the bases, his face showing that he was in an obvious daze, I somehow knew the Series was ours. From that point on, I just knew we were going to be champions. I was no longer nervous.

I'm also not too proud to say that I cried. I still get emotional when I relive the moment on DVD. Can anyone who might have experienced the moment at the park please try to put it into words?

roylestillman
10-26-2011, 06:24 PM
I have been fortunate to have attended hundreds of Sox games including every Sox playoff home game from 1993 on but by far the greatest moment I have ever experienced at any sporting event was Paul Konerko's grand slam. I felt just absolute elation -it was surreal, almost dreamlike.... the kind of stuff you daydream about...
This was it as well as Pods walk off. I have never, nor probably ever will be in a crowd experience like that. As another poster said time stood still and then at once the crowd jumped up and the roar commenced. There are some YouTube clips from fans in the park that come close to capturing it.

ChiSoxGal85
10-26-2011, 06:46 PM
Pods walkoff - really, the unexpected factor was it for me - but followed closely by Konerko's grand slam.

A little while ago I was watching the Youtube clip taken by a Sox fan in Houston of the clinching out. Not that I'd trade one second of the 2005 playoffs for anything...but how awesome would a clinching game have been at the Cell?

joebro25
10-26-2011, 08:06 PM
When Juan Uribe went into the stands for out number 2. An amazing play, even without the circumstances surrounding it. I remember watching that play unfold and thinking to myself, holy ****, the Sox are going to win the World Series.

Bucky F. Dent
10-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Pods walkoff.

But my favorite moment of that unbelievable playoff run, and one of my absolute favorite moments as a Sox fan, was El Duque pitching out of the bases loaded jam at Fenway.

DSpivack
10-26-2011, 08:30 PM
I voted for the final out, as the best part to me of the 2005 World Series was winning it.

chisoxfanatic
10-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Blum's 14th inning blast. Had Houston won Game 3, the whole series would've been altered. It's what gave me that final bit of confidence that the Sox were going to go all the way.

I was probably one of only about 20-30 people left in Puffers when he hit that.

DumpJerry
10-26-2011, 08:44 PM
I was at Game Two. Pods' walk off is what replaced Robin's Granny on 7-31-91 as my number one Sox moment in my WSI profile. I blew out my vocal chords from yelling at the top of my lungs nonstop for about 20 minutes. Took two weeks to get my voice back and it was worth it!

Hopefully there will be some Robin moments in the upcoming years to match it.

guillensdisciple
10-26-2011, 09:01 PM
Definitely Paulie's slam. I was not even in the stadium, and time seemed to slow down while I was watching on TV. All I remember is hearing it come off the back end and watching Paulie run through first. While doing this I was paying attention to the background and saw all the fans going crazy. To this day, every time I watch that highlight and see the fans jumping and screaming in their seats, I have shivers run down my spine.

A magical moment to be sure.

eastchicagosoxfan
10-26-2011, 09:02 PM
A minute or so after Pods hit the walkoff, it dawned on me that I probably just saw the last home game of the season.

kevingrt
10-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Konerko's GS. Completely changed the momentum of the game and probably turned around the series. One pitch and we had a WHOLE NEW ballgame.

Madvora
10-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Pods walkoff.

But my favorite moment of that unbelievable playoff run, and one of my absolute favorite moments as a Sox fan, was El Duque pitching out of the bases loaded jam at Fenway.

I agree with you completely.

thomas35forever
10-26-2011, 09:44 PM
What made that moment even more awesome was when it came out a few years later that El Duque got on the bullpen phone and DEMANDED that he be put into the game. That's the '98-'00 Yankees magic rubbing off on us!

russ99
10-27-2011, 12:26 AM
Without a doubt, the parade.

Most fun day ever in 40+ years living in Chicago.

If I have to limit it to a thing on the field, then Pods' walkoff.

cub killer
10-27-2011, 01:25 AM
After the Pods walkoff, after McCarver muttered "How do these things happen", there was a shot of a girl in the stands holding a sign that said "PINCH ME!". If you watch it again, pay attention to the look on her face as she held that sign. That look says it all.

DSpivack
10-27-2011, 02:04 AM
Without a doubt, the parade.

Most fun day ever in 40+ years living in Chicago.

If I have to limit it to a thing on the field, then Pods' walkoff.

I was in college at the time, my work-study was at a desk in the library. I remember watching the live stream of the parade on mute, and then seeing the replay later that night on WGN America.

Daver
10-27-2011, 02:22 AM
Crede's glove throughout the series, throughout the whole post season for that matter.

AJ stealing first base was probably the highlight of 2005 for me.

skobabe8
10-27-2011, 08:46 AM
konerko's gs. Completely changed the momentum of the game and probably turned around the series. One pitch and we had a whole new ballgame.

+1

asindc
10-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Pods walkoff.

That was my favorite moment of 2005, period, aside from the final out. When El Duque struck out Damon, that's when I knew we were going to win it all. A strong sense of destiny just came over me. (By the way, a close second for favorite moment of 2005 is the "Joe!! Crede!!!" HR against Cleveland.)

SoxThunder
10-27-2011, 09:47 AM
I was at every 2005 home playoff game as well. The thing that made the Konerko grand slam so great was how the drama was building up for an extended period. Sox were down 4-2, loaded the bases and Houston made a pitching change. There was so much electricity and anticipation as Konerko stepped to the plate. Then Paulie takes Chad Qualls's very first pitch deep to left, giving the Sox a 6-4 lead. I was in the second row of the upper deck behind third base, threw my cardboard sign that said "Let's kick some Asstros!" about 20 feet in the air...jumping, screaming, hugging everyone and literally running up and down the aile high fiving everyone. It's the loudest the Cell has ever been. When Jose Vizcaino tied the game at 6, it took a lot of energy out of the crowd, like that "oh no" feeling. When Pods hit the walk off, I was so emotionally drained and shocked, I could barely believe what I just saw.

C-Dawg
10-27-2011, 10:06 AM
When El Duque struck out Damon, that's when I knew we were going to win it all. A strong sense of destiny just came over me.

I recall we were having some sort of marinated chicken for dinner that night, and as luck had it we were eating and watching the game in the kitchen during that 6th Inning. I think I had to get a whole glass of water for every pitch just to get that chicken down. I was that tense!

When Jose Vizcaino tied the game at 6, it took a lot of energy out of the crowd, like that "oh no" feeling.

Watch close when Guillen yanks Jenks; Bobby looks like he's going to cry. But who is it who greets him on the top step of the dugout, with a big smile and a pat on his head? Mark Buerhle, who had just lost his chance at a World Series win. That'll forever be my definition of a "good clubhouse guy".

SI1020
10-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Blum's 14th inning blast. Had Houston won Game 3, the whole series would've been altered. It's what gave me that final bit of confidence that the Sox were going to go all the way.

I was probably one of only about 20-30 people left in Puffers when he hit that. This is it for me too. I live in the Eastern Time Zone, it was very late, and I yelled loud enough to wake up my neighbors.

When Juan Uribe went into the stands for out number 2. An amazing play, even without the circumstances surrounding it. I remember watching that play unfold and thinking to myself, holy ****, the Sox are going to win the World Series. For me this is a very close second. I thought the same thing you did. My whole being was tensed and ready. I've waited for this since I was 6 and now the Sox are about to win the World Series.

JoeyCora28
10-27-2011, 01:14 PM
I was lucky to have snagged a Game 2 ticket off Ticketmaster the day they released a couple thousand.

Wow! It's a day that is forever etched in my memory. Obviously, the game highlights stand out. Konerko's slam and Pods walk-off I can remember like they happened yesterday.

I also remember the people in the crowd around me that day. The father and his young son sitting in front of me creating memories that they will share forever. The older woman and her husband behind me witnessing something that they had waited their entire lives to see. The unbridled joy of the crowd after Paulie's slam where people were running up and down the aisles hugging and high-fiving complete strangers. Repeated again after Pods game winner.

I remember the train ride home after the game. I felt like I was floating on the walk home from the station. My team, my Sox, were halfway to accomplishing the unthinkable and I was fortunate to have been there to see a piece of history in person.

MarySwiss
10-27-2011, 02:59 PM
I voted for final out, though Chris Berman's agonized "Oh, Nooooooo" will be with me forever. :D:

spawn
10-27-2011, 03:31 PM
For me, it was Dye's single up the middle, giving the Sox the lead in Game 4.

GlassSox
10-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Pods walk off! My wife is a huge Pods fan and when he came up to bat she was praying. We were standing in upper deck with our silly plastic ponchos on and when he hit it we were screaming our heads off, hugging everyone, & high fives all around. We still talk about it from time to time.

Soxman219
10-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Konerko's GS was IMO the best moment of that series. I was about to cry tears of joy when PK it that ball. It was something I never seen before, my favorite team in the WS with one of my favorite players hitting a clutch HR.

Underrated favorite part of the 2005 run: Iguchi's HR to make it 5-4 after (Graffino?)'s error. That's when I felt the Sox would win the WS.

guillensdisciple
10-27-2011, 10:10 PM
I voted for final out, though Chris Berman's agonized "Oh, Nooooooo" will be with me forever. :D:

Hahaha, does anyone have the clip to that?

Somebody had to have made a youtube funny remix about that call. That was so great.

DSpivack
10-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Hahaha, does anyone have the clip to that?

Somebody had to have made a youtube funny remix about that call. That was so great.

Nah, MLB would never allow something as crazy as having highlights of their games easily available online.

guillensdisciple
10-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Nah, MLB would never allow something as crazy as having highlights of their games easily available online.

They have the WS highlights, but they are horrible quality.

TomBradley72
10-28-2011, 08:51 AM
It's fun to take another tour of all the great moments-

PK's grand slam after enduring a day of cold/rain- we were completely water logged and talking about how we could be home in front of the fire when PK turned it around on the first pitch.
Six years later-I STILL can't believe Pods hit that homer
Blum's homer- I kept dozing off as the game went late into the night- he hits it-the cell phone starts going crazy-Willie Harris yelling "Group 4, Group 4.."
I give Ozzie alot of credit for adding El Duque to the post season roster-not an obvious move and alot of people were clamouring for Brandon. I was attending a wedding on a farm up in the U.P.- we were out of range of any technology other than a Red Sox fan who was there who was getting text messages from a friend at Fenway- which he could only receive if we stood on a specific hill in a specific place- he was smiling as it was "bases loaded, no outs"- a few minutes of "radio silence"- then he stares at his phone and just mumbles "they got out of it- Sox coming to bat".
And all the other great moments of that fall- Crede's homer vs. Cleveland, clinching at Detroit, the blow out of Game 1 vs. BoSox, Iguchi's HR, AJ's "stealing 1st base" + Crede bringing him home, the dominant starting pitching, Uribe's tumbling catch into foul territory, Nancy would play a few notes of "Don't Stop Believing" just at the right time- that was just 5-6 weeks of complete obsession and fun around the White Sox.

TheOldRoman
10-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Pods walkoff.

But my favorite moment of that unbelievable playoff run, and one of my absolute favorite moments as a Sox fan, was El Duque pitching out of the bases loaded jam at Fenway.Absolutely. That was the single biggest event of the White Sox season. The importance of his performance can't be overstated. I keep a picture of it on my desk at work. One of the single greatest pitching performances I've seen.

http://a.espncdn.com/media/mlb/2005/1007/photo/g_orlando_275.jpg

Smokey Burg
10-28-2011, 01:09 PM
AJ's heads up play to take 1st base. It seemed to me that was the back breaker.

Railsplitter
10-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Scottie Pods' walk-off. The last guy you'd expect to do it. Posibly, the only walk off homer in Series history by a guy who didn't get one in regular season.

cheezheadsoxfan
10-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Pods walkoff.

This sums it up for me also. When he got Damon I finally felt it could really happen.:bandance:

MrT27
10-29-2011, 08:11 PM
The moment that sticks out for me the most was Blum's HR. My buddy and I were in college and had no classes or work that day so we went up to the restaurant that is at Miller Park for the game (we thought it would be cool to watch the game at a ballpark).

Anyway the game took forever but they stayed open for my friend and I so we could watch it. And of course if Houston wins the series is completely changed around. When he hit that and the Sox won I finally realized we were one win away from a World Series.

For the entire playoffs I would say El Duque vs Boston was the best. Such a huge moment for him!

gaelhound
10-30-2011, 10:55 PM
Pods walkoff.

I know it was not the Series, but that was a moment where our guy cut out the heart of the reigning champs. You got to beat the champ to become champ, that was the spur for the rest of the playoffs and Series triumph.

soxnut1018
10-31-2011, 01:58 AM
You can tell how special the 05 World Series was by the fact that no one has voted for the churro option.

Bucky F. Dent
10-31-2011, 08:52 AM
I know it was not the Series, but that was a moment where our guy cut out the heart of the reigning champs. You got to beat the champ to become champ, that was the spur for the rest of the playoffs and Series triumph.

And the end of that inning I "knew" that we could win the World Series.

JB98
10-31-2011, 01:19 PM
For me, it was Dye's single up the middle, giving the Sox the lead in Game 4.

:thumbsup:

That great at-bat by Dye often gets lost in the shuffle because the big home runs are the moments history tends to remember.

Cotts punching out two hitters prior to Jenks' strikeout of Bagwell in the eighth inning of Game 1 is another example of a moment that gets lost. If Cotts doesn't do his job, Jenks can't do his. The two combined to get the Sox out of a first-and-third, no-outs jam that could have changed the course of the series.

TDog
10-31-2011, 02:34 PM
Among things that happened between the lines in Chicago and Houston, my favorite moment was the Konerko grand slam. Jon Miller's call was one of my favorite all-time moments of live radio. The Sox were losing late in the game and only had a one-game lead in the series. That one swing turned the game and perhaps the Series. Heroics would still be needed that night, but the Astros never regained the lead.

My favorite moment of the World Series, a personal moment that no one else experienced, came after I got to see Buehrle get the last out of Game 3 before I left work, walking out to my car in cold, still night, shrouded in the fog rolling in with the smells of the Gastineau Channel, but feeling the warmth from the elation of knowing that my team was going to win the World Series.

kruzer31
11-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Konerko's GSlam for me, was at my brothers with friends and as soon as Paulie hit it we just turned and started hugging each other,spilling beer and ended up in a huge dog pile on the floor. After hou tied it in the 9 th I was so bummed that Pod's walk off was more of a relief

Jeff

EastCoastSoxFan
11-19-2011, 09:28 PM
For me it was Buehrle coming in and getting the final out of game 3 on a popup to Uribe (who had just made an error).

To me that epitomized the difference between the White Sox and the other team that supposedly plays in Chicago -- the White Sox (at least that year) overcame mistakes instead of allowing themselves to completely unravel.

shingo10
11-20-2011, 12:13 AM
[QUOTE=EastCoastSoxFan;2854837]For me it was Buehrle coming in and getting the final out of game 3 on a popup to Uribe (who had just made an error).

This is my favorite moment too. This was before his no hitter and perfect game but for me it was the moment he became a White Sox legend.

nsolo
11-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Another moment I'd like to share....

It was October 18th, my wife's birthday. Her being a HUGE Beatles fan, I drove her into Chicago from Michigan to see Paul McCartney at the United Center. She cried when Paul came on stage. Mega points for Daddy!

Anyway, after the concert, we were walking around the building back to the car. I was wearing my Sox jacket and hat. Three people were walking toward us, two of which were wearing Cubs hats.

They said something negative about the Sox, but I couldn't make it out. To reply, I yelled as loud as I could "Go, Go White Sox!!!!". Their response was that if the Sox made it to the Series, they'd get their bu**s kicked by a National League team.

It kind of harshed my drive back to the Great Lakes State, but after winning it all, I sure wished where I could have looked up those losers.

Just another fun memory of 2005.

TheVulture
11-22-2011, 05:30 PM
But when Pod's was running around the bases, his face showing that he was in an obvious daze, I somehow knew the Series was ours. From that point on, I just knew we were going to be champions. I was no longer nervous.

I kind of had that feeling a couple times in the earlier playoff rounds. When Iguchi hit that hanging curveball for a three run dinger against the Red Sox I thought man, these Sox are not going to lose.

Again against the Angels, I can't recall which game but the Angels got on board early and Konerko came right back with a 2 run homer the bottom of the same inning and it was like I knew it was going to happen because I just felt like Konerko was going to do it because that's the way it had to happen. I don't know how to explain it, manifest destiny or something.

Taliesinrk
11-22-2011, 07:30 PM
:thumbsup:

That great at-bat by Dye often gets lost in the shuffle because the big home runs are the moments history tends to remember.

Cotts punching out two hitters prior to Jenks' strikeout of Bagwell in the eighth inning of Game 1 is another example of a moment that gets lost. If Cotts doesn't do his job, Jenks can't do his. The two combined to get the Sox out of a first-and-third, no-outs jam that could have changed the course of the series.

Absolutely. I voted Jenks (I'm partial because I was at Game 1), but two others that stick out were JD's HR in the 1st inning of the World Series off of none other than Roger Clemens. The place roared (I'm sure not like the next night, but was still pretty special).

The other moment - and this one, for whatever reason, I'll definitely never forget - was Josh Groban's singing of the National Anthem, with the fly-over, a flag that covered the ENTIRE outfield, and the servicemen sending ripples through it when he sang "star-spangled, banner yet wave"... that was a sight that I had waited a long time to see.