PDA

View Full Version : Next Year's Outfield/Borchard

hold2dibber
07-16-2002, 08:47 AM
What do the minor league experts around here think about Borchard's ability to be a productive major leaguer next year? His numbers this year are pretty ho-hum, although he is coming off an injury early in the year. Is next year the year we see him starting in the majors, or is 2004 more realistic? Also, can he play center field? With the recent resurgance by CLee, I, for one, am pretty gun shy about dealing him - the guy has so muc h potential, I'd be horrified that he'd go on to great things with someone else if he was dealt. But that means CLee in LF and Borchard in CF (unless they some how deal Frank and move CLee to DH).

If he isn't ready next year and/or isn't capable of playing CF, then what do we do? Willie Harris? F.A. (Erstad?)?

LongDistanceFan
07-16-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

If he isn't ready next year and/or isn't capable of playing CF, then what do we do? Willie Harris? F.A. (Erstad?)?

you brought up an interesting idea. i still would trade lee, bring up borchard to play lf and harris in cf. if an opening opens up in the "if", then i would consider erstad via the fa to play cf. loosing a compensation pick for him might be worth it.

Jerry_Manuel
07-16-2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
But that means CLee in LF and Borchard in CF (unless they some how deal Frank and move CLee to DH).

That's what I'd like to see.

DH: Lee
LF: Magglio
CF: Harris
RF: Borchard

LongDistanceFan
07-16-2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

RF: Borchard what about big frank and paulie?

Jerry_Manuel
07-16-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
what about big frank and paulie?

Paul at 1st.

Frank can go away if he wants, I don't care. We know the team is going to rebuild after this year. So by the time they get good again 2004 or 2005, Thomas isn't going to be much of a help. Let him go play for a winner.

LongDistanceFan
07-16-2002, 10:48 AM

Paul at 1st.

Frank can go away if he wants, I don't care. We know the team is going to rebuild after this year. So by the time they get good again 2004 or 2005, Thomas isn't going to be much of a help. Let him go play for a winner.

i wonder who have more upside, harris or hummel? that being said, i can't give up on frank yet, b/c of what he has done in a sox uni. so what i would love to see is.

1b - paulie
2b - harris
ss - jemmiez(sp)
3b - crede
lf - brochard
cf - erstad
lf - maggs

or maybe harris in cf with hummel at 2b. if you notice i have omitted the dh position until i am convince of frank.

hold2dibber
07-16-2002, 12:20 PM
I would like to see:

1B: PK
2B: Hummel/Jiminez
SS: Valentin
3B: Crede
LF: Lee
CF: Borchard or Erstad
RF: Magglio
DH: Hurtus Maximus

Of course, one problem with that line up is, there is no lead off hitter among the bunch of 'em. That's going to be a real problem if we don't get a CF, SS or 2B that can lead off. Maybe Hummel or Jiminez eventually, but not next year. I don't think Harris is going to be an everyday player. The only way I trade CLee is if it is for a young front line pitcher (which would probably require throwing in Malone or someone like that, too), like Jeff Weaver, Javier Vazquez or one of the Astros young starters. I will be :angry: if KW brings one more single overpaid, mediocre veteran. If he had bundled Kip Wells, Josh Fogg, Aaron Myette and Sean Lowe together (and gone without Alomar to save money), we could have scored a serious front line pitcher and had the money to pay him (i.e., by not having to pay a total of about 9 mm this year to Clayton, Ritchie and Alomar). Instead, we're paying all that money to those stiffs, while Wells and Fogg tear it up for the Pirates. Where's that picture of the guy hurling when you need it?

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-16-2002, 12:39 PM

RF: Borchard

the only thing about lee being dh is that eventually he will be just like frank, with no defensive position. not that is bad, but he will lose any defensive ability he has (not much) if he dh's consistenly.

Randar68
07-16-2002, 12:45 PM

i wonder who have more upside, harris or hummel?

At the plate, Hummel.

1b - paulie
2b - harris
ss - jemmiez(sp)
3b - crede
lf - brochard
cf - erstad
lf - maggs

People are all excited about Jimenez, but have you ever seen his defensive stats? He makes Jose look like a Gold glover at SS!

Jimenez is a utility guy and perhaps a 2B. That's it.

Daver
07-16-2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

At the plate, Hummel.

People are all excited about Jimenez, but have you ever seen his defensive stats? He makes Jose look like a Gold glover at SS!

I agree.

delben91
07-16-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by daver

I agree.

Daver, ever verbose. :D:

palehosemike
07-16-2002, 11:27 PM
Borchard has ok season this year due to injury rehab - He will have a chance in Spring Training to make the team - though I think he will come up later next year, unless LTP puts together an impressive spring. Also it depends on if he plays winter ball this year & does well.

Mike

LongDistanceFan
07-17-2002, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

At the plate, Hummel.

i am just remembering all the hype around this guy, before he wass hurt. i hope that he doesn't have any lingering effects from the accident and is capable of coming back to that level of play.