PDA

View Full Version : Six years

thomas35forever
10-26-2011, 01:02 AM
It's been that long since the night we celebrated a world championship. The players and coaches from that squad get lesser every year, but at least we can still appreciate the personnel that brought it. Happy anniversary, everyone! Make sure you watch your World Series DVD today!

October26
10-26-2011, 06:23 AM
It's been that long since the night we celebrated a world championship. The players and coaches from that squad get lesser every year, but at least we can still appreciate the personnel that brought it. Happy anniversary, everyone! Make sure you watch your World Series DVD today!

Thank you! Today is a very happy day for me as a Sox fan and also personally. :D: And I look forward to that day when our White Sox will once again be World Series Champions!

Sig update time ...

ps -> I would like to wish my wonderful husband a Happy Silver Wedding Anniversary today.

skobabe8
10-26-2011, 07:40 AM
Seems MUCH longer.

Over By There
10-26-2011, 09:01 AM
Seems MUCH longer.

It sure does.

Although I obviously want the Sox to win another one, I find it hard to believe anything would be quite as special as October 2005. :tearintheeye:

kufram
10-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Seems like yesterday to me, but perhaps I waited longer than some. I never thought it would happen and up until Uribe made the play I was on edge. What a post season that was!

SOXPHILE
10-26-2011, 09:31 AM
http://cdn.worldcupblog.org/usa.worldcupblog.org/files/2008/09/farley.jpg
..'member...remember that one time...in 2005, when the White Sox won the World Series..?

dwalteroo
10-26-2011, 09:47 AM
http://cdn.worldcupblog.org/usa.worldcupblog.org/files/2008/09/farley.jpg
..'member...remember that one time...in 2005, when the White Sox won the World Series..?

Ha! Hilarious.

TheOldRoman
10-26-2011, 10:06 AM
It seems like just yesterday to me. They Sox could win 20 more in my lifetime (and I hope they do), but combined they wouldn't mean as much as 2005 did. A few days later I bought a championship decal and put it on my grandfather's headstone, as he waited his whole life for that moment. The groundskeepers come by and throw out the flowers every Fall, but that decal is there to this day.

jdm2662
10-26-2011, 10:13 AM
Has it been that long? How time flies. The only thing I regret is not going to our local bar to watch the game. The three of us were so damn tired, we just watched it one of our houses.

manders_01
10-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Happy Anniversary, Sox fans!!! I had just moved to Denver a few weeks before so I didn't get to celebrate with those who it would have meant to most to but it was still an amazing night. Will have to break out the WS DVD and the VHS of the parade today.

Thank you! Today is a very happy day for me as a Sox fan and also personally. :D: And I look forward to that day when our White Sox will once again be World Series Champions!

Sig update time ...

ps -> I would like to wish my wonderful husband a Happy Silver Wedding Anniversary today.

Happy Silver Anniversary! What an awesome testament to true love. Many, many more years for you and the hubby!

chisoxfanatic
10-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Seems MUCH longer.
No kidding, it does. And you can thank me for it. I moved to the neighborhood the winter before that season.

Now only Konerko, AJ, Buehrle, and Coop remain!

veeter
10-26-2011, 11:39 AM
It seems like just yesterday to me. They Sox could win 20 more in my lifetime (and I hope they do), but combined they wouldn't mean as much as 2005 did. A few days later I bought a championship decal and put it on my grandfather's headstone, as he waited his whole life for that moment. The groundskeepers come by and throw out the flowers every Fall, but that decal is there to this day.Very awesome story.

kufram
10-26-2011, 11:47 AM
I bought the DVD set, but I would love to have ALL of the post season games. Can I get the missing Angels games and Red Sox games?

Soxman219
10-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Agree with some, it feels much longer.

GoGoCrede
10-26-2011, 12:26 PM
It DOES seem so long ago. I was only 17! I shudder to think of the people I had not yet met and the experiences I hadn't had yet. Especially meeting you fine people on WSI.

EDIT - Er, I think I was 18. My mistake.

Lip Man 1
10-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Wonderful season, great night. Let's hope it's not another 88 years before the next one.

Lip

soltrain21
10-26-2011, 01:05 PM
I think I stood in my apartment for about five minutes after it was over without even reacting to anything. Then my dad called and we went nuts.

tstrike2000
10-26-2011, 01:11 PM
We were watching Game 4 at the UC. Awesome night to experience something like that and go crazy with other diehard Sox fans.

Marqhead
10-26-2011, 01:14 PM
The price of a postage stamp was 37 cents.
A gallon of gasoline was a meager $2.40.
Gwen Stefani's "Holla back girl" was being played on radios across the nation.
"The Simpsons" was on the verge of hitting it's peak with it's 17th season.

What a year it was...

jdm2662
10-26-2011, 01:23 PM
The price of a postage stamp was 37 cents.
A gallon of gasoline was a meager $2.40.
Gwen Stefani's "Holla back girl" was being played on radios across the nation.
"The Simpsons" was on the verge of hitting it's peak with it's 17th season.

What a year it was...

You had to ruin a great moment. :o: She goes from No Doubt, which was decent, to that. Oye.

DumpJerry
10-26-2011, 01:25 PM
We were watching Game 4 at the UC. Awesome night to experience something like that and go crazy with other diehard Sox fans.
I was there, too. Great night at the UC, it was fun to share the Moment with 5,000 other fans.

I keep thinking of what it would have been like if all four games played out the same way, but with home field advantage flipped. How loud would Comiskey have been in the top of the Ninth with two outs? How about when Uribe flew into the seats for out two?

Rocky Soprano
10-26-2011, 01:26 PM
I watched the final out with my brothers and wife.
We had gone out and bought a few bottles of champagne, as soon as they won we ran into my garage and sprayed each other with it like if we were in the locker room.

A bit cheesy, but will never forget it.

Moses_Scurry
10-26-2011, 02:01 PM
My first child was just born in August of 2005. I had her wearing little White Sox onesies on the day of each postseason game. I missed a couple of games in the ALDS and ALCS because of weddings or just being damned tired from my daughter keeping me up all night. I stayed up for the entire game 3 marathon, and gave her her 2 am bottle shortly after.

My biggest regret was not making it to a game. I didn't have the money back then. Now I could definitely afford a ticket, even at scalper prices.

doublem23
10-26-2011, 02:03 PM
I watched the final out with my brothers and wife.
We had gone out and bought a few bottles of champagne, as soon as they won we ran into my garage and sprayed each other with it like if we were in the locker room.

A bit cheesy, but will never forget it.

My friends and I had cigars and two bottles of champagne, one for drinkin', one for spraying... So don't feel too weird about it. :cool:

manders_01
10-26-2011, 02:45 PM
My friends and I had cigars and two bottles of champagne, one for drinkin', one for spraying... So don't feel too weird about it. :cool:

I had a cigar on hand as well. And this was before the smoking ban so I got to light it up right as we won. :D:

DSpivack
10-26-2011, 03:01 PM

Yeah, I was at the apartment of a fellow WSI member in Atlanta, and we got a couple bottles of champagne and sprayed them outside in the warm Atlanta night, well past midnight. Georgians must have thought we were nuts.

Fenway
10-26-2011, 03:05 PM
-sY622nLpH0

http://www.cubssuckclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/cubs-fans-crying-300x263.jpg

spawn
10-26-2011, 03:17 PM
It seems like just yesterday to me. They Sox could win 20 more in my lifetime (and I hope they do), but combined they wouldn't mean as much as 2005 did. A few days later I bought a championship decal and put it on my grandfather's headstone, as he waited his whole life for that moment. The groundskeepers come by and throw out the flowers every Fall, but that decal is there to this day.

Great story, and I agree 100% that it seems like yesterday. It took 28 years watching White Sox baseball to witness a WS championship. The 6 years since have flown by.

I remember where I was. I was at home. As soon as Uribe made that throw to first, I ran outside of my house and yelled at the top of my lungs. My neighbors on both sides are Cubs fans, but they were very supportive, and offered their congratulations. I popped a bottle of champagne and wrote the date on the cork. It is, without a doubt, my most cherished sports memory.

tebman
10-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Great story, and I agree 100% that it seems like yesterday. It took 28 years watching White Sox baseball to witness a WS championship. The 6 years since have flown by.

I remember where I was. I was at home. As soon as Uribe made that throw to first, I ran outside of my house and yelled at the top of my lungs. My neighbors on both sides are Cubs fans, but they were very supportive, and offered their congratulations. I popped a bottle of champagne and wrote the date on the cork. It is, without a doubt, my most cherished sports memory.

Almost the same story for me, but with a beer instead of champagne. :gulp:

I fell to the floor in front of the TV after that last out, not fainting, not praying, but just happily pounding my fist on the floor. Then I ran outside.:bliss:

I thought about my dad, who suffered through the 1967 collapse. He died a couple years later as the Sox descended into their historic funk. I thought of the guy I worked with when I was in college, who was 40 years older and had seen Appling, then the rise of Fox, Aparicio, and Minoso, always finishing just behind the Yankees. I thought about my wife's father, who with his brother took the streetcar from East Chicago to Hegewisch to catch other streetcars to go to Sox games, just to see Ruth and the Yankees embarrass the Sox.

I thought about them and ran outside. God, what a great night.

spawn
10-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Almost the same story for me, but with a beer instead of champagne. :gulp:

I fell to the floor in front of the TV after that last out, not fainting, not praying, but just happily pounding my fist on the floor. Then I ran outside.:bliss:

I thought about my dad, who suffered through the 1967 collapse. He died a couple years later as the Sox descended into their historic funk. I thought of the guy I worked with when I was in college, who was 40 years older and had seen Appling, then the rise of Fox, Aparicio, and Minoso, always finishing just behind the Yankees. I thought about my wife's father, who with his brother took the streetcar from East Chicago to Hegewisch to catch other streetcars to go to Sox games, just to see Ruth and the Yankees embarrass the Sox.

I thought about them and ran outside. God, what a great night.

Another great story. Thanks tebman. I thought about my grandfather, who never saw his beloved team win a WS. I understand those saying they want to see another WS championship in their lifetime. I do as well. But I'm very grateful I got to see one in my lifetime. There are quite a few deceased White Sox fans that weren't as fortunate.

Over By There
10-26-2011, 04:25 PM
But I'm very grateful I got to see one in my lifetime. There are quite a few deceased White Sox fans that weren't as fortunate.

I happened to be speaking over the phone with someone from New York the other day, and the topic turned to sports. He is a Yankees fan and we got to talking baseball. I said almost the same thing - that I want more but will always be grateful I got at least one. He totally did not understand my point of view, but I suppose being a Yankees fan will do that.

So I told him the story of my Grandfather growing up by 34th and Carpenter (S. Fisk at that time, I believe) and sneaking into Comiskey as a kid... seeing a few close calls but never a World Series Championship before he passed in the 90s. (He passed in June of '93, and I remember that the day that he passed, the Sox won and moved into first place in the division - we put a clipping of the newspaper article in his jacket before he was buried.) How he was the one that got baseball into my blood, and made me a Sox fan when the other side of my family were all Cubs fans... and how terrible it was that he never got to see his beloved Sox win the whole thing. I think the New Yorker understood then.

One of my enduring memories of October 2005 is buying an AL Championship pennant and placing it on his grave the day the WS started. Still makes me choke up a bit. When all the bickering ends over crazy managers and underperforming players, it's amazing how much the Sox intertwine with our lives from generation to generation.

thomas35forever
10-26-2011, 04:38 PM
If you were there:
DzdIu1DrP4o

asindc
10-26-2011, 05:08 PM

I had met some DC-area Sox fans at a sports bar for game one. Great atmosphere. We had tried to organize for game four, but everyone was too tired from the night before! When Uribe made that last play, I dropped to my knees in silent awe. I had almost given up hope of seeing them win a World Series in this lifetime.

I flew in for the parade. My brother and I found a cigar shop that sold the same cigars El Duque smoked after every series victory. A hardcore Sox fan was one of the managers. He told us about his experience going to game two. After the parade, my brother and I officially toasted the end of our lifelong wait with some top-shelf bourbon and cigars.

Bucky F. Dent
10-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Yep! Time for another.

SoxSpeed22
10-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Having went to a lot of different spots on campus just to find the game was not as stressful as actually watching the game for me. I've said before that even if they win 40 more championships in my lifetime, this one will still feel the best.
Isn't this a lot better than people bitching about remembering this day?

guillensdisciple
10-26-2011, 08:54 PM
Definitely remember this as the power went out for a little bit right before I turned the game back on to catch the final inning in a half.

I was a junior in high school and my dad usually had a strict sleep policy but not that day. Nah, when the final out was made I jumped out of my seat and screamed enough to wake up my dog and grandparents. Both are deaf too. Anyway, once I was done I soaked it all in. Watched the post game show until 3 in the morning, and that was the first time I had stayed up that late to do anything.

Granted first and definitely not the last, but I had my memory. TO me it was a form of vindication. Going to New Trier, which is Cubs central high school, I was always taking my Sox everywhere with me. And showed pride in a place where many laughed at my decision as a fan. My entire family was Cubs riddled and I was always an outcast. To me, the White Sox of 2005 embodied everything I love: the underdog that no one expects to do anything only to come up taking it all. They were heroes to me at the time, and the rest of high school left me with the biggest grin of arrogance I could ever have. Everyone shut up for my final year, hell even the few Cardinals fans loved the moment.

I wish I was older and could have celebrated it properly with fellow Sox fans like all of you, but the Sox gave me my moment. Hopefully, when I am older they'll give it to me again except maybe I'll have some Sox fans to celebrate it with.

Madvora
10-26-2011, 09:29 PM
The way I felt about the Sox this year, I can't even believe this is the same team that did this. I can't even imagine having that much emotion for this team anymore. The last few years have absolutely killed me.

johnnyg83
10-26-2011, 09:37 PM
I still watch the DVDs when I run on the treadmill. Game 2 still makes me laugh out loud.

thomas35forever
10-26-2011, 09:38 PM
I still watch the DVDs when I run on the treadmill. Game 2 still makes me laugh out loud.
http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2010/04/20/amd_mccarver.jpg
"I don't think that taste is there."

johnnyg83
10-26-2011, 09:51 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2010/04/20/amd_mccarver.jpg
"I don't think that taste is there."

And another laugh. Thank you.

One of the great points in that home run is when the crowd realizes there might be a chance it gets out, you almost hear a collective inhale as everyone's about to go crazy.

One of bad things about the WS DVD is there were not nearly enough crowd shots and reactions.

ChiSoxGirl
10-26-2011, 09:58 PM
What a glorious night 10.26.05 was for all of us! :bliss: For me, that night was the culmination of sleeping about five hours a night (on weeknights) for three straight weeks, but the fatigue and eventual strep throat that followed were definitely worth it. The greatest sports moments of my life were all experienced in October 2005 and I will forever cherish those memories.

I popped the Game 4 DVD in a little while ago (I skipped to the top of the eighth inning) and they just showed Jimbo's erupt after Harris scored. Jimbo's doesn't even exist anymore; Cork & Kerry at the Park now stands in its place, which is more proof of how many years have gone by since we experienced the most amazing night of our sports lives.

LongLiveFisk
10-26-2011, 10:10 PM
I keep thinking of what it would have been like if all four games played out the same way, but with home field advantage flipped. How loud would Comiskey have been in the top of the Ninth with two outs? How about when Uribe flew into the seats for out two?

Yeah, being on the road winning it after so long was the only downer about it (if you can really call it that). It would have been pandemonium at the Cell for sure. :smile:

So I told him the story of my Grandfather growing up by 34th and Carpenter (S. Fisk at that time, I believe) and sneaking into Comiskey as a kid...

Not to completely gloss over the actual point of your post or anything but thank you for posting this, because I have mentioned to people in the past that there was a Carpenter/Fisk connection and they thought I was just making it up because I like Carlton Fisk. :rolleyes: :tongue:

Zisk77
10-26-2011, 10:31 PM
And another laugh. Thank you.

One of the great points in that home run is when the crowd realizes there might be a chance it gets out, you almost hear a collective inhale as everyone's about to go crazy.

One of bad things about the WS DVD is there were not nearly enough crowd shots and reactions.

Just got done watching game 4 on DVD. When the Astros had the tying run on second in the bottom of the ninth and Lidge in the on deck circle, McCarver said that Garner should his announce his Pinch hitter early. This was because it is the on deck hitters responsiblity on a single to tell the runner to slide or stay up...."and a pitcher is not capable of doing that" :?::scratch::scratch: Must be something with there DNA,

On a meaningless side note. I just noticed when the sox are celebrating on the field they pan to the crowd and there is a shot of Don Nelson. He must have hated the game with all the defense being played. :redneck

chisoxfanatic
10-26-2011, 10:31 PM
What a glorious night 10.26.05 was for all of us! :bliss: For me, that night was the culmination of sleeping about five hours a night (on weeknights) for three straight weeks, but the fatigue and eventual strep throat that followed were definitely worth it. The greatest sports moments of my life were all experienced in October 2005 and I will forever cherish those memories.

I popped the Game 4 DVD in a little while ago (I skipped to the top of the eighth inning) and they just showed Jimbo's erupt after Harris scored. Jimbo's doesn't even exist anymore; Cork & Kerry at the Park now stands in its place, which is more proof of how many years have gone by since we experienced the most amazing night of our sports lives.
Jimbo's expression was at most lukewarm. There are zillions of bars they could've chosen that would've shown much more excitement than Jimbo's.

wxkid23
10-27-2011, 03:59 AM
It's hard to believe it has been that long. I was there for Game 4 with my father and it was a dream come true neither of us ever thought we would see. I can remember 6 years ago this time I was in the hotel in Houston unable to fall asleep because I was so stoked we had just won the world series. I don't think I was able to sleep a minute that night.

As much as game 4 will forever likely be the greatest sports moment in my life I will never forget game 3 either. The comeback from down early in the game to Geoff's HR which I had called to my family with me moments earlier to MB out of the pen late in the game was all unreal. Even good old Marte had a big part in that game. Every single player on that team earned that ring.

kufram
10-27-2011, 08:15 AM
The way I felt about the Sox this year, I can't even believe this is the same team that did this. I can't even imagine having that much emotion for this team anymore. The last few years have absolutely killed me.

That's baseball.

asindc
10-27-2011, 08:47 AM
It's hard to believe it has been that long. I was there for Game 4 with my father and it was a dream come true neither of us ever thought we would see. I can remember 6 years ago this time I was in the hotel in Houston unable to fall asleep because I was so stoked we had just won the world series. I don't think I was able to sleep a minute that night.

As much as game 4 will forever likely be the greatest sports moment in my life I will never forget game 3 either. The comeback from down early in the game to Geoff's HR which I had called to my family with me moments earlier to MB out of the pen late in the game was all unreal. Even good old Marte had a big part in that game. Every single player on that team earned that ring.

That's one of the many things I loved about that team and that championship run. Every one of the 25 had significant impact on winning the the championship, right down to the last guy to see action in the playoffs, Willie Harris. Heck, even Marte pitched well enough in game three to claim a significant contribution.

asindc
10-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Just got done watching game 4 on DVD. When the Astros had the tying run on second in the bottom of the ninth and Lidge in the on deck circle, McCarver said that Garner should his announce his Pinch hitter early. This was because it is the on deck hitters responsiblity on a single to tell the runner to slide or stay up...."and a pitcher is not capable of doing that" :?::scratch::scratch: Must be something with there DNA,

On a meaningless side note. I just noticed when the sox are celebrating on the field they pan to the crowd and there is a shot of Don Nelson. He must have hated the game with all the defense being played. :redneck

Generally I agree that Tim "Captain Obvious" McCarver does not add much to a game, but I agree with him on this one. I think he had gotten rid of the taste at that moment.:smile:

hawkjt
10-27-2011, 11:33 AM
The moment of pure bliss right after winning it,when all the tension drained away, is beyond description or a price-tag. I was just riveted to the tv,trying to soak in every single second of the postgame on every chicago station, knowing that it is likely a moment in time that I will not live to ever repeat.

It does kill me how the Cards have been in 18 World Series,and this year,and in 2006,they have have very average teams,yet they are right at the cusp again.

The Sox were clearly the best team in baseball that year,and really earned that World Series title.
That makes it even better,and more unlikely to ever be matched by the Sox anytime soon.

manders_01
10-27-2011, 11:39 AM

I don't know why you even tried! Especially being in Houston, you should have been tracking the Sox down to party with them! :D:

October26
10-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Happy Anniversary, Sox fans!!! ...Happy Silver Anniversary! What an awesome testament to true love. Many, many more years for you and the hubby!

Thank you so much for your genuine, heartfelt sentiments - they touched our hearts and mean so much to us. I told my husband that I have made special connections with friends (like you) here on WSI and that makes this me happy. Let me know if you are ever in Chicago; We would love to meet you!

Also want to thank everyone for sharing their personal 2005 World Series stories. I read each one and enjoyed them very much.

manders_01
10-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Thank you so much for your genuine, heartfelt sentiments - they touched our hearts and mean so much to us. I told my husband that I have made special connections with friends (like you) here on WSI and that makes this me happy. Let me know if you are ever in Chicago; We would love to meet you!

Also want to thank everyone for sharing their personal 2005 World Series stories. I read each one and enjoyed them very much.

Awww, thank you! :hug: And I absolutely mean it! 25 years, though I'm sure it wasn't all smooth sailing, it so awesome! I hope to someday know the feeling.

palehozenychicty
10-29-2011, 08:49 PM
My World Series hat had came in the mail right before Game 3, and I wore it to work for a good week to ten days straight.

I found a bar in the East Village (New York) where some Sox fans had congregated to watch all the games during the postseason. But I had a prior commitment with a non-baseball fan and had to follow on my phone.

I jumped into this bar in Greenwich Village to catch the last two innings. In a perfect world, I would have been in Chicago to do this. I ran into the middle of MacDougal Street and just started jumping around. Another Sox fan in the bar gave me a massive hug. Even in New York, the Yankee/Met fans gave congratulations. If they ever get back there, I'm going to every game. I'm paying to stand inside. I don't care. It was only twenty years, but those second place finishes are painful.

We need to start building again. Quick.

thomas35forever
10-30-2011, 12:46 AM
Now, see the final inning of the '05 World Series as never before. Not RBI Baseball, but some Japanese game.
xhD68qtpngA

HomeFish
10-30-2011, 01:12 AM
October 26, 2005 will always be the greatest day of my life. I don't care what other wonderful things might happen to me: nothing will ever surpass it.

I've always thought that it was possible that I would get into good schools, get good jobs, strike it rich, marry somebody I love, have kids, etc. Some of these things might not happen to me ever, but I've always considered them at least a possibility.

The White Sox winning the World Series? I never considered that a possibility. That's why October 26 will always be the greatest.

Dan H
10-30-2011, 10:11 AM
2005 provided so many great memories and they will last a lifetime. For once, things went right and many demons were exorcised.

My only disappointment is that the success wasn't sustained. I hoped that the White Sox would become an elite franchise in the American League and that hasn't happened.

Even so, it would take a long time just the list the great moments of 2005 because there were so many of them. It was an unbelievable year; I only hope it happens again.

Woofer
10-30-2011, 10:28 AM
I remember at the time being so stressed out that I'm not sure I even enjoyed watching the games. I did not get much sleep after game 3, or game 4 for that matter. If it ever happens again, I will do a few things differently. I should have tried to get to the parade. I went to the two home games against Boston, but I was content to watch all the other games at home. My Dad wanted to scalp some tickets for games 1 or 2, but I talked him out of it. Maybe we should have spent the big bucks to see the game live. I hope we get that chance again.