PDA

View Full Version : Expert opinion on Wrigley Devastation

PaleHoseGeorge
07-16-2002, 08:31 AM
*****!

As a homeowner who routinely battles weeds throughout the summer (and former Purdue Ag student), I thought I should lend my expertise.

First, that was some powerful ****. That wall is 11 feet tall and the culprit only had four feet at the top to work with. For that stuff to kill everything at once, all the way down to the base of the wall, it must have been super concentrated. Unless they replace the soil in front of the wall, chances are nothing else will grow there either.

We're talking a broad spectrum weed killer, something like Round Up. It kills everything. Note that the grass in front of the dead ivy is distressed, too. Complete devastation. Just a little bit of Hiroshima smack in the middle of the Cubune's baseball shrine. :smile:

It's worth noting that Round Up, especially in its concentrated form, has a yellow tint. A fan pouring it from a cup would blend in with all the other yahoos spilling their beer at the Urinal. They'll never catch this bast*rd/glorious hero of Allah.

The Cubune knew this was possible. They put up those new security screens last spring to prevent terrorism, remember? I think it's time for a congressional inquiry into what Andy MacFail knew, and when he knew it!

:lynch&mcfail
"Whew! We were afraid the plumbing had blown another leak!"

Viva Magglio
07-16-2002, 08:38 AM
Actually, the history of the basket fence on top of the outfield wall goes back to the bleacher bums in 1969. The bums used to walk on top of the outfield wall during games. Concerned with this, Mr. Wrigley had the basket fence installed in 1970 to prevent fans from falling onto the field. The top of the wall was also arched to make walking on it impossible.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-16-2002, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Actually, the history of the basket fence on top of the outfield wall goes back to the bleacher bums in 1969. The bums used to walk on top of the outfield wall during games. Concerned with this, Mr. Wrigley had the basket fence installed in 1970 to prevent fans from falling onto the field. The top of the wall was also arched to make walking on it impossible.

Actually, I was referring to the new green netting the Cubune put around the rear of the bleachers early this spring. They denied it was to spite the homeowners across the street, claiming it was meant to deter terrorism.

(It was a joke, Viva).

:gulp:

LongDistanceFan
07-16-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Actually, I was referring to the new green netting the Cubune put around the rear of the bleachers early this spring. They denied it was to spite the homeowners across the street, claiming it was meant to deter terrorism.

(It was a joke, Viva).

:gulp:

and i wonder why there hasn't been that much of a stink in the papers. while the media constantly make fun of the attendance of the sox or the upper seating.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-16-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
and i wonder why there hasn't been that much of a stink in the papers. while the media constantly make fun of the attendance of the sox or the upper seating.

One thing I'm definitely happy about, nobody around here made any mention of the dying ivy at the Urinal until this morning when the Cubune splashed the news on the front of their sports page. Our little Cubune spies would have gleefully forwarded any suspicious posts to their legal department for review.

The Cubune's ivy has been dying for nearly a month. Don't think they wouldn't make members of the WSI community their primary suspects.

:knue
"The technogeeks killed our ivy!"

34 Inch Stick
07-16-2002, 05:29 PM
I think it was the splendor of Sammy Sosa that caused the discoloration, much like the results on Moses' face after speaking with God on the mountain.

Foulke You
07-16-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I think it was the splendor of Sammy Sosa that caused the discoloration, much like the results on Moses' face after speaking with God on the mountain.

Thanks Stick! I needed a laugh. Post of the week right here.

Perhaps God himself was talking to Sammy through a "burning bush" of ivy. As that Cubune reporter said, "the ivy will grow back...God willing." Perhaps they know of Sammy's divine actions?

PaleHoseGeorge
07-17-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Foulke You

Thanks Stick! I needed a laugh. Post of the week right here.

Perhaps God himself was talking to Sammy through a "burning bush" of ivy. As that Cubune reporter said, "the ivy will grow back...God willing." Perhaps they know of Sammy's divine actions?

Sure! And deposed manager Don Baylor, with his golden calf, standing outside Slugger's.

:baylor
"Where's your messiah NOWWWWWWW?"

DVG
07-17-2002, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick

That is CLASSIC!!!!!

voodoochile
07-17-2002, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Sure! And deposed manager Don Baylor, with his golden calf, standing outside Slugger's.

:baylor
"Where's your messiah NOWWWWWWW?"

Make that calf a billy goat and the image is complete....

I can't believe we don't have a billygoat tag...

DrWatson27
07-17-2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

I thought the basket fence was put in to make it that much easier to hit homeruns.

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-17-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by DrWatson27

I thought the basket fence was put in to make it that much easier to hit homeruns.

:shammy
"Shhhhhhh."

LongDistanceFan
07-17-2002, 02:36 PM
how can they honestly say that a sox fan did this during a game. what surprises me is that they might be a few who believe that a fan did this, during a game .

and the trib sure loves the story.

Cheryl
07-17-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
how can they honestly say that a sox fan did this during a game. what surprises me is that they might be a few who believe that a fan did this, during a game .

and the trib sure loves the story.

The Trib doesn't have to admit their company does a piss poor job of taking care of their historic ballpark.