PDA

View Full Version : World Series is 10-1 vs NFL head to head

Fenway
10-23-2011, 02:00 PM
http://bostonherald.com/jobfind/news/media/view/20111023fall_classic_is_10-1_vs_nfl_in_prime-time/srvc=home&position=also

Until last season the NFL tried to avoid going head to head with the World Series but now does so.

The lowest rated MNF game of all time was in 1986 when a rain delay caused Game 7 to be moved to Monday and even though the Giants were playing Washington, nobody in New York watched football.

While SNF won last year with New Orleans-Pittsburgh, it was very close. I would expect MLB to trounce the NFL tonight as Colts-Saints promises to be a stinker.

For whatever reason while MLB as millions of fans, they seem to vanish when the home team is eliminated. Only the NFL holds the audience.

But MLB has to be smug knowing their MLB At Bat application is the highest seller on every platform.

Brian26
10-23-2011, 03:40 PM
For whatever reason while MLB as millions of fans, they seem to vanish when the home team is eliminated. Only the NFL holds the audience.

There were several national articles about this last week. Baseball has become a very passionate regionalized sport. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Revenue is through the roof, and that means fans are extremely loyal to their teams. What it may also mean, in comparing it to the NFL, is that people don't gamble randomly on baseball.

Take away gambling from the NFL and March Madness, and you'd see the numbers drop off the table.

Fenway
10-23-2011, 04:08 PM
There were several national articles about this last week. Baseball has become a very passionate regionalized sport. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Revenue is through the roof, and that means fans are extremely loyal to their teams. What it may also mean, in comparing it to the NFL, is that people don't gamble randomly on baseball.

Take away gambling from the NFL and March Madness, and you'd see the numbers drop off the table.

Exactly.

As in any other sport...winning helps

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/media_entertainment/baseball%E2%80%99s-diamonds-which-major-league-teams-dominated-local-tv-ratings/

Oblong
10-23-2011, 05:26 PM

And Fantasy Football... if you are not including it in that.

Fenway
10-23-2011, 09:57 PM
I suspected Colts-Saints would be a stinker but good gawd

MLB better win tonight

ComiskeyBrewer
10-23-2011, 10:14 PM
But MLB has to be smug knowing their MLB At Bat application is the highest seller on every platform.

I freaking love that app. I got it this year, and i love being able to listen to WTMJ's broadcast no matter where i am.:D:

asindc
10-24-2011, 08:00 AM
http://bostonherald.com/jobfind/news/media/view/20111023fall_classic_is_10-1_vs_nfl_in_prime-time/srvc=home&position=also

Until last season the NFL tried to avoid going head to head with the World Series but now does so.

The lowest rated MNF game of all time was in 1986 when a rain delay caused Game 7 to be moved to Monday and even though the Giants were playing Washington, nobody in New York watched football.

While SNF won last year with New Orleans-Pittsburgh, it was very close. I would expect MLB to trounce the NFL tonight as Colts-Saints promises to be a stinker.

MLB did a very smart thing when they priced it so that anyone who could afford a smart phone could buy it every year. It is well worth the money.

I've always thought of baseball as being the most parochial of the major sports. It seems rare that baseball allegiances shift.

Fenway
10-24-2011, 02:35 PM
It is now MLB 11 - NFL 1 - but not by much.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2011/10/24/Media/World-Series.aspx

A NY Post writer grumbles that 20 miles from Manhattan the only station he could hear the World Series on was from Chicago. :o:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/lost_world_sf87lhGjJi543bF5MCWJKK

vinny
10-24-2011, 09:55 PM
MLB must be 20-1 tonight against the Ravens/Jaguars crapfest.

cub killer
10-25-2011, 12:59 AM
MLB must be 20-1 tonight against the Ravens/Jaguars crapfest.
That would make it 12-1. And it'd be the World Series, not just MLB.

If the National Pastime actually makes a comeback, that would be such a relief. It's good to see so many TTs concerning the WS. I always get angry at the people who claim it's "dying a slow death". :angry:

Let's get good ratings for Game 6. Good thing no other sport is conflicting with it except the NHL.

Fenway
10-25-2011, 01:26 AM
I experienced something tonight which is a certified :scratch:

I was on the phone with someone in Montreal and we quickly figured out that he was getting the game A FULL MINUTE ahead of me on Rogers Sportsnet.

In Canada they were getting the MLB feed with Gary Thorne and Rick Sutcliffe instead of the FOX feed.

Now being in the industry I understand how cable digital boxes can delay games by 15-30 seconds from realtime BUT he was also watching with a digital HD box in Quebec.

So then I checked a link on the net which gives the ESPN America feed for Europe. They were also 45 seconds ahead of FOX. ( and keep in mind this is going through somebody in Europe providing a Slingbox link )

Based on my observations FOX is running the games on a 45-60 second delay.

Why????

Max Power
10-25-2011, 08:58 AM

Why????

They're worried about another "wardrobe malfunction?"

vinny
10-25-2011, 10:45 AM
That would make it 12-1. And it'd be the World Series, not just MLB.
I misunderstood. :redface:
I thought it was a viewer share ratio, not a tally of head-to-head contests.

vinny
10-25-2011, 10:47 AM
I experienced something tonight which is a certified :scratch:

I was on the phone with someone in Montreal and we quickly figured out that he was getting the game A FULL MINUTE ahead of me on Rogers Sportsnet.

In Canada they were getting the MLB feed with Gary Thorne and Rick Sutcliffe instead of the FOX feed.

Now being in the industry I understand how cable digital boxes can delay games by 15-30 seconds from realtime BUT he was also watching with a digital HD box in Quebec.

So then I checked a link on the net which gives the ESPN America feed for Europe. They were also 45 seconds ahead of FOX. ( and keep in mind this is going through somebody in Europe providing a Slingbox link )

Why????
Good question. ESPN Radio was about a second ahead of FOX, so the delay you noted would have been about the same.

cub killer
10-25-2011, 04:01 PM

Why????

So they can edit out players swearing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WjainZz8_OU

Milw
10-26-2011, 02:37 PM
MLB did a very smart thing when they priced it so that anyone who could afford a smart phone could buy it every year. It is well worth the money.

I've always thought of baseball as being the most parochial of the major sports. It seems rare that baseball allegiances shift.
I am a diehard White Sox fan, and I haven't watched a single minute of this World Series. I care about the White Sox far more than any other sports team... but it's hard for me to get excited about other baseball games, even important ones. Conversely, while I'm a big Bears fan, I can watch any old NFL crapfest and be entertained. And yet, if you ask me which sport I prefer--baseball or football--I'll answer baseball every time.

I can't explain that, but it's the truth, and I have a sense that I'm not horribly unusual in that sense.

Mohoney
10-28-2011, 01:20 AM

Why????

So Joe Buck could pollute the airwaves with a contrived, soulless mimicking of his dad tonight.

cub killer
10-28-2011, 03:05 AM
So Joe Buck could pollute the airwaves with a contrived, soulless mimicking of his dad tonight.
What does that have to do with a 45 second delay?