PDA

View Full Version : Selig - Extra Wild Card may happen next season

Fenway
10-21-2011, 07:59 PM
AUDIO
http://siriusxmsports.posterous.com/chris-russo-was-joined-by-mlb-commish-bud-sel

STORY
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/32842090

He is also NOT hopeful about Tampa
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/bud-selig-no-reason-to-be-optimistic-on-tampa-bay-rays-stadium-situation/1197857

Bud was also on MLB Network tonight and it will be rerun later on Friday night - 11:30 Chicago time

WhiteSox5187
10-21-2011, 09:11 PM
That Red Sox collapse really sealed the deal. He's trying to ensure that the Red Sox and Yankees make the playoffs every year and if the Red Sox don't make it next year he will add ANOTHER damned Wild Card

sox1970
10-21-2011, 09:35 PM
That Red Sox collapse really sealed the deal. He's trying to ensure that the Red Sox and Yankees make the playoffs every year and if the Red Sox don't make it next year he will add ANOTHER damned Wild Card

Nah, that has nothing to do with it. This has been discussed for months, if not years, so the Red Sox and Braves collapses have nothing to do with this.

It's about bringing more teams into the race deeper into the season. How they're going about it is what I object to. I'd rather see them go back to a balanced schedule and no divisions, but Selig said in the interview he wouldn't consider that.

I think his plan is to create as much randomness as possible once the postseason begins, so that the teams that play the best over 162 have little or no advantage.

With the regular season, I at least hope they go to a balanced schedule within the division. Maybe like this for the Sox:

16 vs Det, Cle, Min, KC (64 games)
8 vs the rest of the league (80 games)
3 vs 5 teams in one NL division, plus one series vs the Cubs (18 games)

It doesn't solve strong division/weak division and seeding problems, but at least it would be fair within the division.

Fenway
10-22-2011, 07:46 AM
Most of the Selig interview can be found here

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=19929717&topic_id=7417714

mantis1212
10-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Nah, that has nothing to do with it. This has been discussed for months, if not years, so the Red Sox and Braves collapses have nothing to do with this.

It's about bringing more teams into the race deeper into the season. How they're going about it is what I object to. I'd rather see them go back to a balanced schedule and no divisions, but Selig said in the interview he wouldn't consider that.

I think his plan is to create as much randomness as possible once the postseason begins, so that the teams that play the best over 162 have little or no advantage.

With the regular season, I at least hope they go to a balanced schedule within the division. Maybe like this for the Sox:

16 vs Det, Cle, Min, KC (64 games)
8 vs the rest of the league (80 games)
3 vs 5 teams in one NL division, plus one series vs the Cubs (18 games)

It doesn't solve strong division/weak division and seeding problems, but at least it would be fair within the division.

If they add a wild card and do nothing else, that's not really what would happen. Instead of the current format, the two wild card teams would play each other first to get into the "first round". It actualy de-values the current wild card spot and makes winning the division more important.

sox1970
10-22-2011, 05:20 PM
If they add a wild card and do nothing else, that's not really what would happen. Instead of the current format, the two wild card teams would play each other first to get into the "first round". It actualy de-values the current wild card spot and makes winning the division more important.

It does make winning the division more important, but at the same time, MLB could potentially be getting rid of the second best team in the league by a one-game wildcard playoff.

Then the 2nd best wildcard (5-seed) may eliminate the best team (1-seed) in a 5-game division series, which is more likely than in a 7-game playoff.

What they have left in league championships wouldn't necessarily be the two best teams, which isn't really the point. The point is this new format would add more randomness to the teams that get to the World Series.

If they wanted fairness and less randomness, they would eliminate divisions, play a balanced schedule, and actually seed the top teams in the correct order. And to give the 1-seeds in each league an advantage, they could expand the division round to best-of-7 and give them five home games.

S-SideTrifecta
10-23-2011, 12:26 AM
It does make winning the division more important, but at the same time, MLB could potentially be getting rid of the second best team in the league by a one-game wildcard playoff.

Then the 2nd best wildcard (5-seed) may eliminate the best team (1-seed) in a 5-game division series, which is more likely than in a 7-game playoff.

What they have left in league championships wouldn't necessarily be the two best teams, which isn't really the point. The point is this new format would add more randomness to the teams that get to the World Series.

If they wanted fairness and less randomness, they would eliminate divisions, play a balanced schedule, and actually seed the top teams in the correct order. And to give the 1-seeds in each league an advantage, they could expand the division round to best-of-7 and give them five home games.

I'd love to see the return of the best of 9 for the world series, that would be EPIC!

FielderJones
10-25-2011, 03:24 PM
I'd love to see the return of the best of 9 for the world series, that would be EPIC!

1903, 1919-1921. Not really a huge history.

SI1020
10-25-2011, 03:35 PM
I'd love to see the return of the best of 9 for the world series, that would be EPIC! Absolutely. What's couple extra days in November going to matter? On second thought, I have a better idea. Four rounds of best of seven like the NBA and NHL.

cub killer
10-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Absolutely. What's couple extra days in November going to matter? On second thought, I have a better idea. Four rounds of best of seven like the NBA and NHL.
I know you're being sarcastic, but the LDS does need to be best-of-7. It's goofy that it's best of 5. That'd be like scheduling some games for only 7 innings. All games should be the same length (barring weather conflicts) and all series should too.

chisoxfanatic
10-25-2011, 05:07 PM
I'd like at least a more balanced schedule. I had no problem with how the schedule was made in the late-90s. I seem to recall playing the teams in the East much more then. The schedule, outside of interleague play, was very balanced.
Absolutely. What's couple extra days in November going to matter? On second thought, I have a better idea. Four rounds of best of seven like the NBA and NHL.
Adding a couple games to the 1st round and having 4 total rounds increases the playoffs into nearly mid-November!

SI1020
10-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Adding a couple games to the 1st round and having 4 total rounds increases the playoffs into nearly mid-November! Exactly. I was being sarcastic without the teal which I hardly ever use. Mid November baseball is where we are headed. Make that Thanksgiving Day baseball, why let football have all the glory on turkey day?

sox1970
10-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Exactly. I was being sarcastic without the teal which I hardly ever use. Mid November baseball is where we are headed. Make that Thanksgiving Day baseball, why let football have all the glory on turkey day?

I don't agree about November baseball. Nobody wants it, including MLB.

It will probably end up being a one-game Wild card game, and they'll take the day off between games 4 and 5 of the DS out to keep the postseason 4 weeks.

Personally, I would like to see them take a week off the regular season, make the Wildcard round best-of-3, and the rest of the postseason best-of-7. But they won't cut 3 home games per team, and players don't want to play scheduled day/night doubleheaders to keep it 162.

So what we'll get is another layer of randomness to the postseason, and the "best" teams will rarely meet in the World Series. This could be good for the White Sox eventually, but I'm not sure it's good for the game as a whole.

JorgeFabregas
10-25-2011, 08:25 PM
I know a lot of people don't like the wild card, but I like the current system. I don't like the idea of a one-game playoff, as that makes either wild card much less of a prize. Plenty of teams can be in the race under the current setup and there's no reason to think about expanding it unless the number of teams in the league significantly increases.

Dan H
10-25-2011, 09:26 PM
To me, one wild card is enough. This sounds harmless but MLB could be looking this as a way to expand the playoffs even further which I hope never happens. I don't want baseball to be like the NHL and NBA where lousy teams make the playoffs.

Baseball has four playoff spots. If they can't make the season interesting enough with that many spots, there's something wrong. If the regular season becomes less and less important, why go to regular season games? Just wait for the post-season. The extra wild card stinks and so does Bud Selig.

cub killer
10-25-2011, 11:23 PM
To me, one wild card is enough. This sounds harmless but MLB could be looking this as a way to expand the playoffs even further which I hope never happens. I don't want baseball to be like the NHL and NBA where lousy teams make the playoffs.

Baseball has four playoff spots. If they can't make the season interesting enough with that many spots, there's something wrong. If the regular season becomes less and less important, why go to regular season games? Just wait for the post-season. The extra wild card stinks and so does Bud Selig.
Because it's something to do in the summertime. Extra games mean extra $$$. Leagues will always do what is most profitable.

I wouldn't mind an annual WC championship game, along with a 7-game LDS. A coupla games in early November is no big deal. But that's the furthest MLB should go, forever.

soxfanatlanta
10-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Does ownership have to get approval from the players association?

Fenway
10-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Does ownership have to get approval from the players association?

Yes - but there have been reports a new CBA could be announced in the next few days.

Donald Fehr is now Gary Bettman's problem.

SI1020
10-27-2011, 07:34 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_19202816

soxfanatlanta
10-27-2011, 07:37 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_19202816

Um...:?:

shes
10-28-2011, 12:07 PM
I would personally like to see divisions disappear, a 154 game season, and the top 6 teams making it in. I think when you have as many teams as we do now, you need to have 6 playoff spots. Teams that deserve to be in the postseason get squeezed out with only 4 spots and divisions to boot, and there needs to be more of a reward for playing well over a loooong regular season than there currently is. Divisional winners water down postseason competition, as it's a semi-common occurence that a team makes the postseason despite having fewer wins than one or more teams that are staying home. That is ridiculous and should never happen. Adding a second wild card team isn't going to fix that.

sox1970
10-28-2011, 12:36 PM
I would personally like to see divisions disappear, a 154 game season, and the top 6 teams making it in. I think when you have as many teams as we do now, you need to have 6 playoff spots. Teams that deserve to be in the postseason get squeezed out with only 4 spots and divisions to boot, and there needs to be more of a reward for playing well over a loooong regular season than there currently is. Divisional winners water down postseason competition, as it's a semi-common occurence that a team makes the postseason despite having fewer wins than one or more teams that are staying home. That is ridiculous and should never happen. Adding a second wild card team isn't going to fix that.

6 teams per league is too many. No divisions and a balanced schedule would work, but it has to be top 33% of the league making it---Top 3 teams get in, and 4 and 5 play a best-of-three to get in.

That would work great, but baseball wants to keep divisions, and risk having their second best team eliminated by a one-game playoff. That's up there with the all-star game determining homefield in the World Series in bad decisions.

SI1020
10-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Because it's something to do in the summertime. Extra games mean extra $$$. Leagues will always do what is most profitable.

I wouldn't mind an annual WC championship game, along with a 7-game LDS. A coupla games in early November is no big deal. But that's the furthest MLB should go, forever. Or late October for that matter.

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/storms/winter/story/2011-10-28/northeast-winter-snow-storm-october/50977078/1?csp=34news