PDA

View Full Version : Sox offer Burls a contract?

DumpJerry
10-18-2011, 05:55 PM
The Score reported today that Sports Illustrated is saying the Sox made a two year offer to Buehrle. No numbers were mentioned in the report.

MarySwiss
10-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Call me naive, but after this horrible season, followed by all the dysfunctional crap that's been going on, wouldn't it be sweet to see Mark and the Sox strike a deal?
:praying:

russ99
10-18-2011, 06:22 PM
This is an interesting development, since last week Kenny made it seem that Mark was going to test the market.

I'd think the Sox would have to defer some cash to make it large enough to suit Mark and small enough to fit in next year's reduced budget.

ChiSoxGal85
10-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Call me naive, but after this horrible season, followed by all the dysfunctional crap that's been going on, wouldn't it be sweet to see Mark and the Sox strike a deal?
:praying:
It would make this fan happy! I think the Sox need him. I don't know if we can count on Humber to perform next year - I really hope so, but I'm not holding my breath. Plus I'd like to see Sale given a shot to start, and it would be great to have Mark there to help Sale out with his starter role.

Plus, I just can't really bear the thought of Mark in another uniform...:o:

DirtySox
10-18-2011, 06:44 PM
This is an interesting development, since last week Kenny made it seem that Mark was going to test the market.

I'd think the Sox would have to defer some cash to make it large enough to suit Mark and small enough to fit in next year's reduced budget.

Agreed. Either that, or more players will be traded this offseason than expected.

Tragg
10-18-2011, 06:46 PM
We pretty much have to sign him if we want any sort of stable pitching. He and Floyd at 2/3 and that bevy of 5th starter level pitchers we have should be good enough for .500 pitching.

Danks, TCQ need to be traded to get quality some youth into the organization.

WhiteSox5187
10-18-2011, 07:09 PM
I would love to see us re-sign Buerhle but I think he could get a lot more than a two year deal. I hope this is legit but part of me wonders if this is just a token offer to say "We tried!"

kittle42
10-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Hey, maybe if we re-sign any pending FAs and basically keep everyone else....we can be ALL IN!

Lip Man 1
10-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Jon Heyman had a small mention in his column today on this:

"The White Sox are expected to try to bring starting pitcher Mark Buehrle back on a two-year deal, and he may be one of the many veterans loyal to owner Jerry Reinsdorf who stays for less. If he leaves, most would expect it to be for his hometown St. Louis Cardinals."

No mention that they actually made an offer.

Lip

DirtySox
10-18-2011, 07:49 PM
Hey, maybe if we re-sign any pending FAs and basically keep everyone else....we can be ALL IN!

I suppose "In Between!" doesn't have that great of a ring to it.

palehozenychicty
10-18-2011, 08:29 PM

"The White Sox are expected to try to bring starting pitcher Mark Buehrle back on a two-year deal, and he may be one of the many veterans loyal to owner Jerry Reinsdorf who stays for less. If he leaves, most would expect it to be for his hometown St. Louis Cardinals."

Lip

That's a lot of money to give up. He could get at the minimum four years with such a dry starter's market. I know that Buehrle is a stand-up guy by all accounts, but if he really wants a two-year deal, then..:o:

tstrike2000
10-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Mark, you gotta come back, man.

ChiSoxGirl
10-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Mark, you gotta come back, man.

I couldn't agree more. Please re-sign with the Sox, Buehrls!!! :praying:

Falstaff
10-18-2011, 08:41 PM
That's a lot of money to give up. He could get at the minimum four years with such a dry starter's market. I know that Buehrle is a stand-up guy by all accounts, but if he really wants a two-year deal, then..:o:
Maybe, maybe not. Now that we have recently heard how B came in to
save a game during WS after had drank a beer during the game, as he didn't expect to pull bullpen duty, his FA market value just took a dive.
At least thats what I am hoping.:gulp::gulp::gulp:

DrCrawdad
10-18-2011, 10:00 PM
I'd almost like to see the Sox resign Buehrle for sentimentality along...However there is little to no room for sentimentality on a roster. If resigning Buehrle makes the 2012 a better team, and I think it does, then sign him. Please.

Lundind1
10-18-2011, 10:05 PM
I'd almost like to see the Sox resign Buehrle for sentimentality along...However there is little to no room for sentimentality on a roster. If resigning Buehrle makes the 2012 a better team, and I think it does, then sign him. Please.

It is safe to say that this rotation is much less without him. The innings that he pitches and the reliability factor is really hard to find now.

DirtySox
10-18-2011, 10:09 PM
It is safe to say that this rotation is much less without him. The innings that he pitches and the reliability factor is really hard to find now.

Right. But if signing Mark forces the Sox to deal Floyd and Danks due to payroll limitations, it might not be for the best. One could argue both sides. Personally I'm not all that confident in a particularly competitive team next year, so I'd rather the Sox let him walk and collect the draft pick.

voodoochile
10-18-2011, 10:14 PM

I'd bet it will end up as a 2-year with a third year player option or a huge buyout.

At the least it shows the Sox are going to offer arbitration and at minimum get their picks. Which is better than what many expected.

And I agree... Please come back Mark. Those two years are the window the team has left. Without you, it's rebuilding for sure...

HomeFish
10-18-2011, 10:16 PM
to manage the team in 2021?

DSpivack
10-18-2011, 11:30 PM

Lip

Could the Cardinals afford to sign Buehrle while bringing back Albert Pujols? That leaves me skeptical as to whether St. Louis is an option for him.

Daver
10-18-2011, 11:34 PM

When did Kenny Williams announce that payroll will be cut for next season?

Mohoney
10-18-2011, 11:42 PM

Brooks Boyer came out and said that the White Sox needed to reduce payroll to get out of the red, and I doubt that they would ignore that.

Noneck
10-18-2011, 11:51 PM
Could the Cardinals afford to sign Buehrle while bringing back Albert Pujols? That leaves me skeptical as to whether St. Louis is an option for him.

They have some decent money coming off the books next year, they drew over 3M this year and always draw well. Their payroll is about 110M now, maybe they will do it.

Daver
10-18-2011, 11:57 PM
Brooks Boyer came out and said that the White Sox needed to reduce payroll to get out of the red, and I doubt that they would ignore that.

When did Brooks Boyer get moved to baseball operations?

Steelrod
10-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Would be super cool for Mark to do the unusual, finish his career where it started! Would show all kinds of class on his part to do so. Sorta like the White Sox version of Kerry Wood.

voodoochile
10-19-2011, 01:32 AM

When did Brooks Boyer get moved to baseball operations?

In addition I have to believe the Sox are going to save money on the coaching staff this year. Ventura won't be making as much as Ozzie was (whatever that was).

I also wouldn't be shocked to see them move Danks and go with Humber and Sale on the back end of the rotation, but I've half expected that for a few years now.

My thought is that the move to bring back BurlyMon is a clear statement that they are going to run these last two years of their window right to the limit which would mean most of the team comes back as is save for Pierre, which is another chunk of money they will save next year regardless.

Guess we'll find out...

hawkjt
10-19-2011, 01:56 AM
Mark is one of the few guys around that might just be willing to accept a few less dollars to maintain loyalty and stability. Hope so,but either way, he is pure class.

gobears1987
10-19-2011, 04:29 AM

He could get that, but the articles I read about Buehrle said he only wanted to pitch 2-3 more years. I don't think he wants a 4 year deal.

gobears1987
10-19-2011, 04:30 AM
Would be super cool for Mark to do the unusual, finish his career where it started! Would show all kinds of class on his part to do so. Sorta like the White Sox version of Kerry Wood.

One problem with that comparison:

Buehrle stints on the DL: 0

Wood stings on the DL: ∞

sullythered
10-19-2011, 05:41 AM

Mark Buehrle would be nothing like the White Sox version of Kerry Wood. They share, essentially, nothing in common, as pitchers.

One has been a very successful, insanely durable, crafty lefty starting pitcher. The other has been a marginal starter/reliever with huge injury issues.

If Mark finishes his career on the South Side, it will be without ever having left. Not so for Wood. I fail to see the comparison.

russ99
10-19-2011, 08:12 AM

Do you really think Jerry will let things stay as they are after this season?

Also Kenny hasn't directly said that the payroll will be cut but he's throwing around "rebuilding" a lot.

The Dude
10-19-2011, 08:29 AM
Total speculation...hey man What's the Score?

DumpJerry
10-19-2011, 08:47 AM
He didn't have to make the announcement. His surrogates at WSI did it for him.

WhiteSox56
10-19-2011, 09:03 AM
I think Burls will be with another team next year. I just think it's best we shop him and get some young talent. We had better start picking up as much young talent as we can, because we have one of the worst farms in the majors. :whiner:

Chez
10-19-2011, 09:09 AM
I think it's an either/or situation with Buehrle and Danks. If Buehrle comes back, Danks will be traded.

cws05champ
10-19-2011, 09:32 AM
I think Burls will be with another team next year. I just think it's best we shop him and get some young talent. We had better start picking up as much young talent as we can, because we have one of the worst farms in the majors. :whiner:

We can't shop him...he's not under contract. He is a free agent. We can offer arbitration in which case we would get a draft pick if he leaves.

I think Buehrle will wait until the Pujols situation is resolved vs taking a contract right now. Makes no sense for him to take a 2 yr offer right away. If the Cards go on to win the WS, I actually think they would be more willing to let Pujols walk and use that money to spread it around. They could sign Burls move Berkman to 1B and go after an OF in free agency or trade.
In fact, in this case the Sox and the Cards match up extremely well for a trade of Carlos Quentin.

A cards rotation of Carpenter, Wainwright, Buehrle, Garcia, Lohse/Westbrook and a middle of the order of Berkman/Holliday/Quentin is not bad(although an injury risk).

WhiteSox56
10-19-2011, 09:39 AM
We can't shop him...he's not under contract. He is a free agent. We can offer arbitration in which case we would get a draft pick if he leaves.

I think Buehrle will wait until the Pujols situation is resolved vs taking a contract right now. Makes no sense for him to take a 2 yr offer right away. If the Cards go on to win the WS, I actually think they would be more willing to let Pujols walk and use that money to spread it around. They could sign Burls move Berkman to 1B and go after an OF in free agency or trade.
In fact, in this case the Sox and the Cards match up extremely well for a trade of Carlos Quentin.

A cards rotation of Carpenter, Wainwright, Buehrle, Garcia, Lohse/Westbrook and a middle of the order of Berkman/Holliday/Quentin is not bad(although an injury risk).

Yeah I should have said "draft pick"

Also, where does Pujols go?

voodoochile
10-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Also, where does Pujols go?

Anywhere he wants...

Steelrod
10-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Mark Buehrle would be nothing like the White Sox version of Kerry Wood. They share, essentially, nothing in common, as pitchers.

One has been a very successful, insanely durable, crafty lefty starting pitcher. The other has been a marginal starter/reliever with huge injury issues.

If Mark finishes his career on the South Side, it will be without ever having left. Not so for Wood. I fail to see the comparison.I was, of course, speaking of Kenny wood's loyalty to the Cubs organization.

Daver
10-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Also Kenny hasn't directly said that the payroll will be cut but he's throwing around "rebuilding" a lot.

And from that you can state as fact that the team is cutting payroll?

DonnieDarko
10-19-2011, 12:12 PM
I was, of course, speaking of Kenny wood's loyalty to the Cubs organization.

Who the hell is Kenny Wood? :P

thomas35forever
10-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Get it done, Jerry!:praying:

JB98
10-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Right. But if signing Mark forces the Sox to deal Floyd and Danks due to payroll limitations, it might not be for the best. One could argue both sides. Personally I'm not all that confident in a particularly competitive team next year, so I'd rather the Sox let him walk and collect the draft pick.

Am I wrong for thinking Danks is going to get more money than he's worth once he hits the market? He hasn't taken that next step to become "ace" caliber, and at this point I don't think he will. But someone is going to pay him because he's both quality and left-handed. I don't think that somebody will be the Sox. I think it's in the club's best interest to deal Danks regardless of what happens with Buehrle.

Floyd's salary is quite reasonable for his production level, so I suspect he'll be kept around.

palehosepub
10-19-2011, 12:58 PM
I absolutely believe they need to re-sign MB, even if you are rebuilding or re-tooling you need a strong core of consistent players to build your organization around - that is absolutely MB & PK. If Mark wants it I think the Sox & he could work out 2 year/ $20 million contract (in that range anyway) with an option for a third year. Robin would have some quality veteran leadership in the clubhouse and on the field. I think you would have to deal Danks and Quentin for young pitching, young outfielders and salary relief. I dont think you really want three lefties in the rotation (with Sale). I think you could get a fair return for Danks and save some salary, I dont see Danks re-signing after he is a free agent - he might be worth more to others.

soxgirl617
10-19-2011, 01:12 PM
While I recognize it is very possible Mark will not be with the Sox next year, I fervently hope he is. He's been the rock of the Sox pitching rotation for years, and he seems, by all accounts, to be a good guy. He has a huge place in the hearts of Sox fans, too. I agree it would be great for Mark to do the unusual: play his whole career for one team.

Mark is a quality pitcher, a quality guy, and a team leader (at least in the eyes of fans). It would speak volumes to the fans---and to we season ticketholders, who pony up the $$$ annually---if the Sox would make every effort to resign Mark.

Mark, please come back! Jerry and Kenny, please make Mark a great deal!

Sargeant79
10-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Am I wrong for thinking Danks is going to get more money than he's worth once he hits the market? He hasn't taken that next step to become "ace" caliber, and at this point I don't think he will. But someone is going to pay him because he's both quality and left-handed. I don't think that somebody will be the Sox. I think it's in the club's best interest to deal Danks regardless of what happens with Buehrle.

Floyd's salary is quite reasonable for his production level, so I suspect he'll be kept around.

I agree with this 100%. Danks is not going to be brought back after 2012 and even in his walk year, he will still likely bring back a nice return. He should be moved this offseason.

Zisk77
10-19-2011, 04:30 PM
I absolutely believe they need to re-sign MB, even if you are rebuilding or re-tooling you need a strong core of consistent players to build your organization around - that is absolutely MB & PK. If Mark wants it I think the Sox & he could work out 2 year/ $20 million contract (in that range anyway) with an option for a third year. Robin would have some quality veteran leadership in the clubhouse and on the field. I think you would have to deal Danks and Quentin for young pitching, young outfielders and salary relief. I dont think you really want three lefties in the rotation (with Sale). I think you could get a fair return for Danks and save some salary, I dont see Danks re-signing after he is a free agent - he might be worth more to others.

Yeah look what thats done to Texas.:scratch:

Harry Chappas
10-19-2011, 04:55 PM

I would normally agree but I have zero faith that Williams won't burn that pick on some signable, low-ceiling, college pitcher who projects as middle-reliever.

russ99
10-19-2011, 06:01 PM
And from that you can state as fact that the team is cutting payroll?

Not a fact (yet) but an assumption based on quotes from Kenny and Brooks and reinforced by the current economy and drop in revenue in 2011.

The sox have gone over $114m only twice in their history and were at $129m.

Noneck
10-19-2011, 06:06 PM
I would normally agree but I have zero faith that Williams won't burn that pick on some signable, low-ceiling, college pitcher who projects as middle-reliever.

Williams is an employee and spends what he is told to on draft choices.

A. Cavatica
10-19-2011, 07:08 PM
Does Burls project to be a type B FA?

Goose
10-19-2011, 07:09 PM

I thought I heard he was going to be a B, but don't quote me on that.

Tragg
10-19-2011, 10:07 PM
I really don't see the point of trading Floyd. He give some stability to the rotation and is a solid 4 and a 3 at times. This staff is replete with 5s. And he wouldn't bring that much.

doublem23
10-19-2011, 10:46 PM

Yes

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/09/2010-11-reverse-engineered-elias-rankings.html

DirtySox
10-19-2011, 10:51 PM
I really don't see the point of trading Floyd. He give some stability to the rotation and is a solid 4 and a 3 at times. This staff is replete with 5s. And he wouldn't bring that much.

Floyd is rather cheap, durable, and has consistently put up an fWAR of greater than 4, though he was at 3.6 this season. He would indeed bring a solid return. Much depends on how serious the Sox are at being competitive next year I suppose. He might not be traded, but he will be dangled in a thin pitching market I'm sure.

DonnieDarko
10-20-2011, 04:34 PM
Danks should go before Floyd does.

kobo
10-20-2011, 05:39 PM

I feel the same exact way. We've been told next year will be the year Danks breaks out for 3 years now. I don't see it happening, and some team will definitely overpay for his services so I hope the Sox can get some quality prospects in return for him if they do decide to trade him.

Also, I just don't see the guy taking a deal here after next season. The Sox have tried to get a deal done with him in the past and he turned them down. He's definitely going to test the market, so might as well move him now.

Noneck
10-20-2011, 05:53 PM
Also, I just don't see the guy taking a deal here after next season. The Sox have tried to get a deal done with him in the past and he turned them down. He's definitely going to test the market, so might as well move him now.

Agreed. If the Sox cant get him to sign a multi year contract , they should trade him because he will test the FA waters and he doesnt seem the type that will take a home town discount and others will offer more than the Sox.