PDA

View Full Version : MLB Ballpark Location and the Population Around It Can Greatly Influence Attendance

Fenway
10-17-2011, 12:08 AM
Guess what baseball team has the third largest amount of people within 20 minutes of the ballpark at 1,920,000?

The White Sox

(Cubs have 1,150,000)

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/PopulationtoMLBBallparks.htm

Now granted this study does not take into consideration that many of the people nearby can not afford to go to sporting events but it is an interesting snapshot.

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5459:mlb-ballpark-location-and-the-population-around-it-can-greatly-influence-attendance&catid=26:editorials&Itemid=39

It shows how bad the location of Tropicana Field is when looking at the entire area.

DSpivack
10-17-2011, 12:12 AM
How do they define minutes from those parks? 3 million people within 25 minutes? In zero traffic, maybe. But 7pm games on a weekday at rush hour? :scratch:

Fenway
10-17-2011, 12:24 AM
How do they define minutes from those parks? 3 million people within 25 minutes? In zero traffic, maybe. But 7pm games on a weekday at rush hour? :scratch:

:scratch:

The chart does reinforce my theory that a MLB team could survive and perhaps thrive in the Hartford-New Haven-Springfield corridor of Interstate 91.

DSpivack
10-17-2011, 12:25 AM
:scratch:

The chart does reinforce my theory that a MLB team could survive and perhaps thrive in the Hartford-New Haven-Springfield corridor of Interstate 91.

CT is already split between Yankees and Red Sox, no?

If moving another team NE wouldn't northern NJ make more sense?

Fenway
10-17-2011, 12:35 AM
CT is already split between Yankees and Red Sox, no?

If moving another team NE wouldn't northern NJ make more sense?

Really is amazing that in 50 years the Mets have made NO inroads into Connecticut. The Mets are really locked into Queens-Brooklyn and Long Island.

Certainly the NHL Whalers always had a problem as fans were either Bruins or Rangers.

New Jersey is another kettle of fish as Newark/Meadowlands would be much closer to New York. Red Sox/Yankees also share the Hartford market ( as do the Mets) but under MLB rules a team could move there without paying a fee.

LITTLE NELL
10-17-2011, 05:14 AM
At first I thought that there was no way that the Sox had more people living 20 minutes away from the park than the Urinal. Then I realized that there is an east side of Chicago and the further south you go the more it expands. It comes down to how many people living 20 minutes from each park are willing to spend the insane prices of tickets to see mediocre baseball.
I would also like to see a survey on how many people actually walk to each ballpark in MLB. My guess is that Wrigley and Fenway lead the pack in that one with places like Dodger Stadium, Anaheim and KC far down the list.

ComiskeyBrewer
10-17-2011, 12:19 PM
But, maybe the best statement on attendance comes by way of the Brewers. The club in baseball’s smallest market ranked 7th overall in total attendance this year (3,071,373) have 520,000 within 15 minutes of Miller Park, and 2.03 million within an hour. Compare that to the Tigers, who ranked 13th overall in attendance (total of 2,642,045), who have 2.27 million… within 30 minutes of Comerica ParkA decent chunk of the brewers attendence comes from the guarantee of having a game due to the roof. It's about an hour drive(50 miles) from my door to my parking spot at MP, and I personally would probably not buy 1/2 the tickets i do(in advance), if not for the fact of knowing there will be a game played that day. With all the people who come down from the Fox Valley(Oshkosh, Appleton, ect) for games, i doubt the brewers would have broken 3 million the past few years without it.

I think it could work. I'd love to see a team in Portland, as it would give the Mariners an actual rival.

Fenway
10-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Peter Ueberroth told St. Petersburg NOT to build the stadium as MLB would not work there but the city and county went ahead anyways. MLB passed over Tampa in the 1990 expansion (Denver-Miami) and only awarded Tampa a franchise in the end because they needed a 30th team to go with Phoenix.

The White Sox, Twins, Rangers, Giants and Mariners all sniffed at Tampa but in the end stayed put.

Tampa Bay is very spread out and there is no money there. One third of the population ( actually higher on the St. Pete side ) is retired on fixed incomes.

Portland needs someone like Nike to step up and fund the franchise.

The only other possible place for MLB to sniff at is the Carolinas. A team in Charlotte could draw from as far away as Raleigh, Greensboro and Greenville, SC and there are enough TV homes there to support a RSN.

ComiskeyBrewer
10-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Charlotte isn't a bad spot either. It would also give the braves a rival for either in division, or interleague play.

TheVulture
10-17-2011, 10:18 PM
Still trying to move "non-competitive" playoff teams?! You are truly obsessed!