PDA

View Full Version : Could the death of Al Davis keep the A's in Oakland?

Fenway
10-17-2011, 12:50 AM
It appears the Raiders will either move to Santa Clara or Los Angeles according to Bay Area media.

So what of the A's?

Selig still won't rule on San Jose (31 months and counting) so could the A's either renovate or rebuild at the existing site?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/10/15/SPJ11LI714.DTL

If nothing else the present site does have subway and Amtrak to the door and decent freeway access.

I still want someone to explain to me how the Giants could be hurt by the A's moving from 15 miles away to 50. :scratch:

http://newballpark.org/2011/10/16/shea-asks-if-the-as-could-stay-at-the-coliseum-if-the-raiders-leave/

DSpivack
10-17-2011, 01:09 AM
Just knock down Mt. Davis if/when the Raiders move.

Fenway
10-17-2011, 01:12 AM

I don't know if they could do the same kind of rebuild that Anaheim did ( Janet Marie Smith?) and anyone who has been to the Coliseum knows it is in bad shape.

DSpivack
10-17-2011, 01:20 AM
I don't know if they could do the same kind of rebuild that Anaheim did ( Janet Marie Smith?) and anyone who has been to the Coliseum knows it is in bad shape.

Without getting too political, I don't know that I see any government in California putting up money for a new stadium, especially not for the A's. I really don't know what the solution is there.

monkeypants
10-17-2011, 01:35 AM
I still want someone to explain to me how the Giants could be hurt by the A's moving from 15 miles away to 50. :scratch:

Because San Jose is the third largest city in California and the tenth largest city in the U.S. If I lived in San Jose and had the A's playing in my backyard I would go see them instead of driving 50 miles to see the Giants play in San Francisco. Putting a competing team in the largest city in one of the largest metropolitan areas of the U.S. can do nothing but hurt the Giants.

Fenway
10-17-2011, 01:38 AM
Because San Jose is the third largest city in California and the tenth largest city in the U.S. If I lived in San Jose and had the A's playing in my backyard I would go see them instead of driving 50 miles to see the Giants play in San Francisco. Putting a competing team in the largest city in one of the largest metropolitan areas of the U.S. can do nothing but hurt the Giants.

But if the A's moved to San Jose, fans in the East Bay would then more likely switch to the Giants than trying to get to San Jose. Seems to be a wash.

monkeypants
10-17-2011, 01:42 AM
But if the A's moved to San Jose, fans in the East Bay would then more likely switch to the Giants than trying to get to San Jose. Seems to be a wash.

Oakland has about 400,000 while San Jose has almost 1 million residents. I would figure most A's fans in Oakland would remain A's fans if the team relocated to San Jose.

Viva Medias B's
10-17-2011, 04:35 PM
The A's should move to San Jose. Then, Oakland should demolosh the semicircle portion of the Coliseum around Mt. Davis and replace it with football seating. In order words, build another Mt. Davis on the other sideline and seating in the endzones.

Hitmen77
10-18-2011, 03:41 PM

Would knocking down Mt. Davis and having the Coliseum revert back to it's old design really be enough?

I don't think that alone is going to make a huge dent in the A's attendance woes.

I guess my question would be how much of a renovation would be needed to make the Oakland Coliseum a successful MLB ballpark?

Fenway
10-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Would knocking down Mt. Davis and having the Coliseum revert back to it's old design really be enough?

I don't think that alone is going to make a huge dent in the A's attendance woes.

I guess my question would be how much of a renovation would be needed to make the Oakland Coliseum a successful MLB ballpark?

The A's seem to have a hardcore group that uses BART from San Francisco to go to games but it really is a drab ballpark as seen by some cellphone fotos I took 5 years ago.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1755204432625.2097043.1014362077&type=1&l=f0c9142155

Charlie Finley said after the second home game in Oakland in 1968 that he had made a huge mistake moving there. Of course then BART did not exist and attendance did improve when the trains started running.

It is a lousy place to watch baseball as their is way too much foul territory.

Location does not seem to hurt the NBA team next door and friends out there say if the NHL Seals had held on until BART opened the team might still be in Oakland.

voodoochile
10-18-2011, 04:37 PM

This is a bit of a misconception. Yes San Jose has a larger population than Oakland or SF, but it's also much larger in terms of geographic area. The population in Oakland and SF is much denser.

You can see from this map how spread out things are in the San Jose metro area. The yellow part is the relevant part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:San_Jose-San_Francisco-Oakland_CSA.svg

Fenway
10-18-2011, 04:46 PM
This is a bit of a misconception. Yes San Jose has a larger population than Oakland or SF, but it's also much larger in terms of geographic area. The population in Oakland and SF is much denser.

You can see from this map how spread out things are in the San Jose metro area. The yellow part is the relevant part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:San_Jose-San_Francisco-Oakland_CSA.svg

San Jose should be its own metro area - to include it with SF-Oakland would be like adding Providence to Boston.

HomeFish
10-18-2011, 05:08 PM
I have never been inside the Coliseum, but I have seen it from outside many times because it's visible from the BART stop for Oakland International Airport.

It is by far the ugliest sports facility I have ever seen. I don't think it's viable for a rehab.

voodoochile
10-18-2011, 05:48 PM
San Jose should be its own metro area - to include it with SF-Oakland would be like adding Providence to Boston.

Well according to that map it is - with Santa Clara and Sunnyvale (and Cupertino and many other smaller cities). It's the heart of Silicon Valley.

The Bay Area has 7.3M people with ~1m each in San Jose and SF. My point was that the SJ metro area while big is also much more spread out.

Fenway
10-18-2011, 06:29 PM
The A's situation will sort itself out eventually. Tampa is the only blackhole that MLB has simply because even a winning team didn't help put people in the seats.

soxfan1965
10-19-2011, 08:41 AM
I've been in that area many times. Yes, the Amtrak and BART are nearby the stadium. Having been around Jack London area and downtown Oakland, I think the San Jose area would be better suited. It opens up the whole south bay corridor with the high tech companies nearby. Maybe it won't be Cisco Field anymore, but any number of Valley sponsors can take their place or "Field in the Cloud".

skobabe8
10-19-2011, 11:39 AM
I really liked that Cisco ballpark design they had a few years ago.

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/future/AthleticsBallpark.htm

voodoochile
10-20-2011, 01:02 PM
I've been in that area many times. Yes, the Amtrak and BART are nearby the stadium. Having been around Jack London area and downtown Oakland, I think the San Jose area would be better suited. It opens up the whole south bay corridor with the high tech companies nearby. Maybe it won't be Cisco Field anymore, but any number of Valley sponsors can take their place or "Field in the Cloud".

BART doesn't make it to San Jose. It stops at Freemont about 20 miles away.

thechico
10-20-2011, 02:10 PM
The problem with ANY Oakland site is that it is in Oakland. If they want to increase attendance, the A's need to move to San Jose.
That said, the Giants OWN the Bay Area anyway.

Lamp81
10-20-2011, 02:15 PM
What happened to their plan of building as close to San Jose as possible, but just out of the area that the Giants control. That way, they could capture the San Jose market w/o needing to negotiate with the Giants. That location would also be closer to Oakland, so those fans would have it slightly easier to get to games.

Fenway
10-20-2011, 03:14 PM
What happened to their plan of building as close to San Jose as possible, but just out of the area that the Giants control. That way, they could capture the San Jose market w/o needing to negotiate with the Giants. That location would also be closer to Oakland, so those fans would have it slightly easier to get to games.

Fremont didn't want the extra traffic.

http://g.co/maps/6xz2c

Lamp81
10-21-2011, 12:51 AM
Fremont didn't want the extra traffic.

http://g.co/maps/6xz2c
OK, same plan, but go the next next closest municiple govt. that would welcome them, yet keep them out of the Giants area of control.

Fenway
10-21-2011, 01:51 AM
OK, same plan, but go the next next closest municiple govt. that would welcome them, yet keep them out of the Giants area of control.

The A's can go anywhere in Alameda or Contra Costa counties...period.

ode to veeck
10-21-2011, 07:51 AM
The A's will never draw in Oakland no matter what the stadium. The obvious best move for MLB revenue wise is move to San Jose, where they will fill a new stadium easily and the Giants will still have great attendance. Maybe if we didn't have a used car salesman as a commish, the obvious could be enabled.

San Jose was only designated at Giants territory in preparation for a 1994 vote to fund a new Giants stadium right about where Santa Clara is building the new 49ers park, but us voters said no, the taxpayers shouldn't fund the stadium, so in essence, Santa Clara county got designated as "Giants Land" even though the residents said "Hell NO!!" and remained so even afer China Basin in SF very successfully got converted to Yuppie Town and Pac Bell Park. What a pile of crap.

Lamp81
10-21-2011, 11:53 PM
I find it odd that Selig can't make a decision on this even though he and Athletics owner Lew Wolff were fraternity brothers at Wisconsin. Selig is treating the Athletics like Charley Finley was still the owner.

Tell the Giants to deal with the San Jose decision and just be thankfull you got a stadium built in SF instead of being the team that moved to St. Petersburg.