PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try the Big Hurt's Beer yet?

Nelfox02
10-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Frank was around the city today promoting his beer. Went to a couple of his product launches......it was......not bad. not great IMO, but decent.

Big Hurt was in a great mood, taking pics and signing autographs. I asked him about the taking the job as hitting coach, he said "that is the million dollar question, eveyone asks me that these days......lets see how it plays out....

going to sox fest? ======= "no doubt"

LongLiveFisk
10-16-2011, 01:20 AM
My nephews and my sister were at the Binny's today too and my sister also asked him about being the hitting coach. He said it's too much work.

They said the beer didn't taste too bad though. :smile:

DSpivack
10-16-2011, 01:25 AM
Who makes the beer?

Nellie_Fox
10-16-2011, 01:41 AM
Who makes the beer?Minhas Brewery, Monroe, WI. Formerly Huber Brewing, makers of Huber, Rhinelander, and Berghoff before they got bought out by a Canadian company. My understanding is that the Minhas company has a reputation for making pretty cheap, low-quality beer.

#1swisher
10-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Frank was around the city today promoting his beer. Went to a couple of his product launches......it was......not bad. not great IMO, but decent.

Big Hurt was in a great mood, taking pics and signing autographs. I asked him about the taking the job as hitting coach, he said "that is the million dollar question, eveyone asks me that these days......lets see how it plays out....

going to sox fest? ======= "no doubt"

Thanks for reporting.

doublem23
10-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Minhas Brewery, Monroe, WI. Formerly Huber Brewing, makers of Huber, Rhinelander, and Berghoff before they got bought out by a Canadian company. My understanding is that the Minhas company has a reputation for making pretty cheap, low-quality beer.

That pretty much described BHB in 1/2 a sentence.

The only cool thing about it is the 7% ABV and 24-oz. can. It'll get the job done. But man... It is swill. It's like a step below malt liquor.

AnkleSox
10-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Minhas Brewery, Monroe, WI. Formerly Huber Brewing, makers of Huber, Rhinelander, and Berghoff before they got bought out by a Canadian company. My understanding is that the Minhas company has a reputation for making pretty cheap, low-quality beer.

You can find a lot of their standard brews at Trader Joes for about $5 for a six pack of cans. They have several different names but in my experience they all taste pretty much the same. You're better off just getting a 30 pack of Busch Light if that's the flavor you're looking for.

The only one of their "craft brews" I tried was the Lazy Mutt Ale, and it set off my gag reflex immediately. I suggest steering clear of that one.

Garland_IS_God
10-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Binny's is selling it for $40 a case. I ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT SPEND $40 ON A CASE OF BEER! Rather buy 4 cases of Busch Light!

kittle42
10-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Binny's is selling it for $40 a case. I ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT SPEND $40 ON A CASE OF BEER! Rather buy 4 cases of Busch Light!

I just paid $45 for a bottle of beer the other day.

GoGoCrede
10-16-2011, 04:42 PM

I hope there was a prize at the bottom. :cool:

rdwj
10-16-2011, 04:59 PM

So, 4 cases of bottled water? I don't understand drinking ****ty beer.

Garland_IS_God
10-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Not really gonna drink Busch, but at the same time, not gonna spend $40 on a case of beer either....that probably tastes worse than Busch.

Garland_IS_God
10-16-2011, 05:41 PM

What did you buy for $45 a bottle?

kittle42
10-16-2011, 06:11 PM
What did you buy for $45 a bottle?

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/47658

ilsox7
10-16-2011, 06:19 PM

Good stuff! Haven't had this year's batch, yet.

Steelrod
10-16-2011, 06:20 PM
I just paid $45 for a bottle of beer the other day.Remind me never to be astonished by ticket pricing. People find some very strange ways to use their money, or not! I leave it to each and every one out there to make their own finanical decisions. If a $ increase stops you from buying a ticket in the future, it least you can use the money for a cold one!

ilsox7
10-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Remind me never to be astonished by ticket pricing. People find some very strange ways to use their money, or not! I leave it to each and every one out there to make their own finanical decisions. If a $ increase stops you from buying a ticket in the future, it least you can use the money for a cold one!

Most people don't flinch one bit when they spend $45 or way more on a bottle of wine. It's no different with beer, except that with that $45 you're generally getting a top notch beer, whereas there is plenty of swill wine sold in that price range (especially if you're getting the tripled mark-up at a restaurant).

doublem23
10-16-2011, 09:44 PM

Yeah but it comes in 24 oz. cans and a case is 24 of them, so it's the volume equivalent of 48 12-oz. cans or bottles.

Also, I would not buy Busch Light if it was free. And hey, I like ****ty beer.

doublem23
10-16-2011, 09:45 PM
So, 4 cases of bottled water? I don't understand drinking ****ty beer.

It gets you drunk

Marqhead
10-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Yeah but it comes in 24 oz. cans and a case is 24 of them, so it's the volume equivalent of 48 12-oz. cans or bottles.

Also, I would not buy Busch Light if it was free. And hey, I like ****ty beer.

Add in the fact that it's close to double the amount of alcohol in light beer and you're getting the equivalent of 4 cases of Busch Light.

sox102
10-17-2011, 03:10 PM
It gets you drunk

:cheers:

doublem23
10-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Add in the fact that it's close to double the amount of alcohol in light beer and you're getting the equivalent of 4 cases of Busch Light.

Oh totally, if this is easy to find here on the North Side I can definitely see BHB finding its way into my rotation of crappy, crappy beers that I drink when I want to party. The fact that it comes in sweet, giant can already make me love it.

TheVulture
10-17-2011, 11:26 PM
Big Hurt was in a great mood

Frank always seems to be in a great mood these days, don't he?

DSpivack
10-18-2011, 12:10 AM
Most people don't flinch one bit when they spend $45 or way more on a bottle of wine. It's no different with beer, except that with that $45 you're generally getting a top notch beer, whereas there is plenty of swill wine sold in that price range (especially if you're getting the tripled mark-up at a restaurant).

Plenty of great beer is very affordable when compared to wine--another reason I prefer the former, despite my parents' preferences.

monkeypants
10-18-2011, 01:55 AM
Since I work at a Binny's I thought I'd try Big Hurt Beer (oh the things I have to do for work). I'm drinking it right now and it's not too bad but it's certainly not that good either. It's actually rather sweet with not much bitterness. Even the nose on it is fairly sweet. Yeasty bread and corn flavors and aromas. The alcohol is not noticeable even at 7%. Light body with faint carbonation and little head or lacing. Almost like a malt liquor but smoother. I was expecting this to be horrible but as Krusty the Clown said about the Ribwich "I don't mind the taste". So I'm surprised that it's better than I expected but it's not going to make it into my regular rotation of beers that I normally drink.

Nellie_Fox
10-18-2011, 02:05 AM
Since I work at a Binny's I thought I'd try Big Hurt Beer (oh the things I have to do for work).Thanks for throwing yourself on that grenade for us. :tongue:

Marqhead
10-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Just picked up 2 cases for my Big Hurt Beer party. Gotta say, this stuff is pretty awful but it'll get the job done.

I do like the can, and of course I love supporting Frank.

Chrisaway
10-29-2011, 09:40 PM
Tried it tonight. It goes down really smooth kinda like a light PBR flavor. I like it.

Fenway
10-30-2011, 05:54 PM
From the Boston Globe today

“Big Hurt Beer,’’ Frank Thomas’s new business venture, has hit the Chicago market and goes national soon. Red Sox pitchers may invest;

NardiWasHere
10-31-2011, 10:07 PM
I'm gonna try this beer. No doubt. There's no doubt about it, its probably gross, but I'll most definitely drink it. Without a doubt.

BainesHOF
12-12-2011, 12:10 AM
Frank's been in an absolutely great mood at his continued appearances. I caught him in Bolingbrook and Plainfield this past week. It's amazing that he's been signing every can that someone wants to buy. One guy bought three cases and another bought two cases, probably for resale purposes, and the Big Hurt signed every can. It made the line move slowly, but everyone was able to get what they wanted. He signed one additional piece of memorabilia per person for a $10 donation to a leukemia charity.

You actually get a good chance to talk to Frank while he signs your cans. He told me 2000 was his favorite season besides 2005. He really liked the guys on that team and that they surprised people by winning the division. It didn't sound like he'll be a regular on the Comcast pre- and post-game shows, but that he'll continue to appear on them periodically. He said it involves too much work with an eight-hour day. He loves Chuck Garfien and his passion for the game. I asked him if he wanted to be a hitting coach and he adamantly said no (in such a way that I thought that maybe he actually did, but wasn't asked by Ventura, or perhaps he simply wanted to be asked).

I haven't actually tried the beer yet. I can't bring myself to open an autographed can.

rdwj
12-12-2011, 12:49 AM
It gets you drunk

So does fortified wine. If you're gonna go ****ty - may as well go all the way

nug0hs
12-12-2011, 11:19 AM
It's bad...it resembles Icehouse with a hint of honey. Try it once for nostalgia and move on.

ode to veeck
12-12-2011, 11:37 AM
I remember getting cases of Huber for about $5 are Foremost back in the day, one of the many old small breweries that used to be all across WI, northern IL, IN...didn't know they had been making Berghoff's (the dark wasn't bad)

Nellie_Fox
12-13-2011, 12:46 AM
I remember getting cases of Huber for about $5 are Foremost back in the day, one of the many old small breweries that used to be all across WI, northern IL, IN...didn't know they had been making Berghoff's (the dark wasn't bad)They also made Rhinelander. Guaranteed to clean out your plumbing.

DrCrawdad
12-14-2011, 08:34 AM

I clicked your link and then searched for their review of BHB. You'll find it here (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26946/74145).

chisoxfan83
12-14-2011, 08:45 PM
how have the crowds been at the signings? is it packed?

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-15-2011, 04:10 AM
I really want to go to one of these signings. I've tried his beer, and while it's not the best I've ever had, it's still pretty good. But I'd love to meet Frank again and get a can signed by him.

salty99
12-15-2011, 10:27 AM
how have the crowds been at the signings? is it packed?

Yes they are and move very slowly.

beasly213
12-15-2011, 05:47 PM
Per the Big Hurt's Twitter he'll be at Binny's in Orland Park today between 6 and 8pm.

chisoxfan83
12-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Per the Big Hurt's Twitter he'll be at Binny's in Orland Park today between 6 and 8pm.

they cut the line off by 5:40 at 200 people. i guess i will have to wait to get my jersey signed

Brian26
12-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Frank's been in an absolutely great mood at his continued appearances. I caught him in Bolingbrook and Plainfield this past week. It's amazing that he's been signing every can that someone wants to buy. One guy bought three cases and another bought two cases, probably for resale purposes, and the Big Hurt signed every can. It made the line move slowly, but everyone was able to get what they wanted. He signed one additional piece of memorabilia per person for a $10 donation to a leukemia charity.

You actually get a good chance to talk to Frank while he signs your cans. He told me 2000 was his favorite season besides 2005. He really liked the guys on that team and that they surprised people by winning the division. It didn't sound like he'll be a regular on the Comcast pre- and post-game shows, but that he'll continue to appear on them periodically. He said it involves too much work with an eight-hour day. He loves Chuck Garfien and his passion for the game. I asked him if he wanted to be a hitting coach and he adamantly said no (in such a way that I thought that maybe he actually did, but wasn't asked by Ventura, or perhaps he simply wanted to be asked).

I haven't actually tried the beer yet. I can't bring myself to open an autographed can.

Nice recap. 2000 was a great season, right up there with 1990 - teams that did really well although they had low expectations going in.

DSpivack
12-15-2011, 08:27 PM
Nice recap. 2000 was a great season, right up there with 1990 - teams that did really well although they had low expectations going in.

One of my fondest memories is of Opening Night 2000.

beasly213
12-16-2011, 11:09 AM
I got there right at 5...and I didn't get to meet him until 9pm.

But once I was 2 hours in I figured I might as well stay. What took so long is you had people literally buying two cases worth of his beer and having him sign every can. Even when I got up there though he was in a good mood and pretty appreciative of everyone there.

I thanked him for teaming up with the Leukemia Lymphoma foundation (A friend of mine has been battling Leukemia pretty much his whole life) and he told me he appreciated me bringing up the charity and giving an extra donation.

I had him sign a bat I happened to have in my car and he signed my beers I bought, I ended up buying ten and having him only sign 3. One for me, and the other two as gifts. The rest of them are for drinking! :gulp:

Something I think he should consider is maybe pre signing a bunch of cans before getting there. He wasn't personalizing any of them and it would save a lot of time for him and everyone in line. Plus it would give people more of a chance to talk to him when he's there.

I know I waited 4 hours but it was worth it to meet my child hood idol the Big Hurt!