PDA

View Full Version : Peņa released, 4 others outrighted

eriqjaffe
10-14-2011, 03:21 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/10/white-sox-outright-four-release-pena-.html

Josh Kinney, Shane Lindsay, Kyle Cofield and Leyson Septimo have been outrighted to AAA, and the Sox have requested unconditional release waivers for Pena.

VMSNS
10-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Good. Pena sucked, especially his last two seasons here. Although, it didn't help that Ozzie kept trying to use him as a long reliever.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=allen-002bra
Looks like Brandon Allen had some pretty nice years in Arizona's and Oakland's systems. Be nice to have him right now.

DumpJerry
10-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Good. Pena sucked, especially his last two seasons here. Although, it didn't help that Ozzie kept trying to use him as a long reliever.

Looks like Brandon Allen had some pretty nice years in Arizona's and Oakland's systems. Be nice to have him right now.
1. Ozzie is gone.
2. Those are Allen's minor league numbers, what is your point?

Foulke You
10-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Can't say I'll miss any of these guys. Kinney and Lindsay got lit up late last year. Pena had been getting lit up since the second half of '10 and then he got hurt.

hi im skot
10-14-2011, 03:40 PM
1. Ozzie is gone.

This is going to be the new "Fire Ozzie", and it's going to get nearly as annoying.

DumpJerry
10-14-2011, 03:41 PM
This is going to be the new "Fire Ozzie", and it's going to get nearly as annoying.
That, along with the "taint" of Ozzie.

Goose
10-14-2011, 03:43 PM
That, along with the "taint" of Ozzie.

Wait...what do you know about Ozzie's taint?

Edit: Forget it - I don't think I want to know.

spawn
10-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Why? So we can say we have a legit prospect in the minors? :scratch:

thomas35forever
10-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Good riddance to Pena. I don't even know why I stuck behind him for as long as I did.

DumpJerry
10-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Come on, don't you know we can't repeat this mistake (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bonilbo01.shtml) ever again?

Milw
10-14-2011, 05:03 PM

He's a 25-year-old minor leaguer who is hitting a whopping .210 in 367 career MLB at bats. He may turn out to have a decent career, but I'm not losing any sleep over him.

veeter
10-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Kenny already improved the Sox by releasing Pena. Good news.

Crestani
10-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Kenny already improved the Sox by releasing Pena. Good news.

He needs to release himself...!!!

doublem23
10-14-2011, 07:27 PM

Dude's 25 years old and in the Pacific Coast League. He'd better be mashing.

mahagga73
10-14-2011, 09:16 PM
Edwin Jackson looks like Nolan Ryan and Dotel looks like Cy Dotel with the Cardinals, figures.

DrCrawdad
10-14-2011, 11:30 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/10/white-sox-outright-four-release-pena-.html

Josh Kinney, Shane Lindsay, Kyle Cofield and Leyson Septimo have been outrighted to AAA, and the Sox have requested unconditional release waivers for Pena.

I guess Kinney, Lindsay, Cofield and Septimo - they couldn't get anything in return for these guys?

Lamp81
10-15-2011, 12:00 AM
It would be nice to have a player of his caliber as a bargaining chip to bring us a player much more valuable than Tony Pena.

CHISOXFAN13
10-15-2011, 12:08 AM
It would be nice to have a player of his caliber as a bargaining chip to bring us a player much more valuable than Tony Pena.

A bargaining chip? He hasn't done **** in the majors.

Tragg
10-15-2011, 02:11 AM
1. Ozzie is gone.

Just another in a long series of non-productive trades for Ken Williams. And, yes Allen hasn't turned out to me much of a MLB hitter, but still non-productive for us - not surprising as Pena was terrible with Arizona, yet we still traded for him for some reason.

VMSNS
10-15-2011, 11:14 AM
1. Ozzie is gone.

That is correct. What's your point?

My point is that he'd be a decent prospect to have right now in a system full of not-so-decent prospects. Would you rather have Brandon Allen...or Tony Pena, who currently isn't even on the team anymore because of injuries and poor play?

He's a 25-year-old minor leaguer who is hitting a whopping .210 in 367 career MLB at bats. He may turn out to have a decent career, but I'm not losing any sleep over him.

Nor am I.

NardiWasHere
10-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Would you rather have Brandon Allen...or Tony Pena, who currently isn't even on the team anymore because of injuries and poor play?

Neither.

Frater Perdurabo
10-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Neither.

Really? I'd rather have the minor league prospect - no matter how mediocre he may be - plus the cash we wasted on Pena.

SI1020
10-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Really? I'd rather have the minor league prospect - no matter how mediocre he may be - plus the cash we wasted on Pena. I agree.

doublem23
10-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Really? I'd rather have the minor league prospect - no matter how mediocre he may be - plus the cash we wasted on Pena.

That's only because in retrospect Pena didn't work out. Would you rather have held on to Borchard, the prospect, over Thornton, who was a wild arm when the Sox acquired him? Perhaps the Sox should have held on to Olivo and Reed instead of trading them for Garcia?

So Pena didn't work. Big ****ing deal, that happens sometimes. Brandon Allen sucks, always sucked, and always will suck. AAAA guys like him are worth a dime a dozen. He's a ****ing nothing.

Mohoney
10-15-2011, 08:43 PM
I guess Kinney, Lindsay, Cofield and Septimo - they couldn't get anything in return for these guys?

They were just sent back to AAA. They're still in the organization.

CWSpalehoseCWS
10-15-2011, 08:56 PM
They were just sent back to AAA. They're still in the organization.

They all are FA. They opted for FA.

VMSNS
10-15-2011, 09:23 PM
That's only because in retrospect Pena didn't work out. Would you rather have held on to Borchard, the prospect, over Thornton, who was a wild arm when the Sox acquired him? Perhaps the Sox should have held on to Olivo and Reed instead of trading them for Garcia?

So Pena didn't work. Big ****ing deal, that happens sometimes. Brandon Allen sucks, always sucked, and always will suck. AAAA guys like him are worth a dime a dozen. He's a ****ing nothing.

I understand the whole "in retrospect" thing, and I think it's a fair and valid argument when it comes to trade talks. But, to be fair though, I remember a good amount of people thinking the Allen/Pena thing a peculiar trade when it happened, so I don't think the retrospective argument quite works in this instance.

Really, I understand that this wasn't some crippling, major trade of a can't-miss prospect or anything like that. Kenny has made far, far worse moves than this. I just think that we'd be better off with Allen right now, that's all. I wasn't trying to infer anything else.

Frater Perdurabo
10-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Would you rather have held on to Borchard, the prospect, over Thornton, who was a wild arm when the Sox acquired him? Perhaps the Sox should have held on to Olivo and Reed instead of trading them for Garcia?

No and no. Do we have to absolutists on this? Or is there room for nuance?

And so is Pena. But Pena cost more. I'm not calling for KW's head for this. I'm just saying it was a failed trade because Pena turned out to suck.

dickallen15
10-16-2011, 08:29 AM

How many prospects has KW unloaded that are actually worth something? Gio, but there weren't many complaints when Swisher was acquired, Hudson, a lot of complaints, Morse, that helped the Sox win a WS. I'm with you, I'm as big of KW basher as there is, but complaining how he ruined the minor league system by trading prospects simply isn't true. He may have ruined the minor league system by drafting poorly, having incompent people like Wilder with almost free reign, Perhaps poor instructors or just of lack of talented developmental people, but I can't criticize him for trading mediocre at best prospects for guys that don't work out. Brandon Allen wasn't going to do anything anyway, Pena sucked. It happens. Its not like the Sox gave away an All Star to get him.

SI1020
10-16-2011, 09:41 AM
He didn't ruin the minor leagues by trading Brandon Allen. It was just a lousy deal trading for Pena. What's the grave error in pointing that out? I don't think anyone is saying it was a major mistake or a fireable offense.