PDA

View Full Version : Mark Parent, Joe McEwing joining Ventura's coaching staff

doublem23
10-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Parent will serve as bench coach, McEwing replaces Cox at 3B.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/10/white-sox-add-joe-mcewing-mark-parent-to-robin-venturas-coaching-staff

Goose
10-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Jeff Manto hitting coach (Sox AAA hitting coach)? Calling all minor league junkies...Is this guy any good or should we all be worried? When I think of Sox minor league system, the last thing I would think of is their hitting coach.Thoughts?

Lip Man 1
10-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Anything is better than Greg Walker no?

Lip

eriqjaffe
10-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Anything is better than Greg Walker no?

LipWe'll find out!

EMachine10
10-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Jeff Manto hitting coach (Sox AAA hitting coach)? Calling all minor league junkies...Is this guy any good or should we all be worried? When I think of Sox minor league system, the last thing I would think of is their hitting coach.Thoughts?
He oversees the entire minor leauges; Tim Laker is the AAA hitting coach (who is also being considered, apparently). Laker has been credited with Flowers bouncing back some and De Aza's continued development this year.

Noneck
10-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Hoping against hope that John Mallee still has a shot as hitting coach.

Goose
10-10-2011, 02:43 PM
He oversees the entire minor leauges;.

Argh. That is not a glowing review. The more that is coming out about this new coaching staff, the less hopeful I am becoming. I am not saying I know anything about any of them, but it "feels" like they are sticking this together with chewing gum and duct tape.

doublem23
10-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Argh. That is not a glowing review. The more that is coming out about this new coaching staff, the less hopeful I am becoming. I am not saying I know anything about any of them, but it "feels" like they are sticking this together with chewing gum and duct tape.

Yeah, but the question is are the Sox not developing players because our coaching and player development staffs suck or do they not develop players because our scouting and drafting sucks?

veeter
10-10-2011, 02:49 PM
I think the players are going to be in shock with the difference between the new and old regime. I'm really excited about McEwing. These guys are baseball junkies.

Daver
10-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Yeah, but the question is are the Sox not developing players because our coaching and player development staffs suck or do they not develop players because our scouting and drafting sucks?

Yes.

EMachine10
10-10-2011, 02:51 PM
This.

DumpJerry
10-10-2011, 02:57 PM
I was hoping a WSIer would get at least some consideration for the Bench Coach job. There are so many here who a clearly qualified.

Noneck
10-10-2011, 03:04 PM
I was hoping a WSIer would get at least some consideration for the Bench Coach job. There are so many here who a clearly qualified.

Bench coach is a difficult job, so is 1st and 3rd, hitting and pitching coach, even conditioning coach and bullpen coach. If all of those are covered by qualified individuals, I see no reason why someone here couldnt be manager. Even the ones that love to curse.

aryzner
10-10-2011, 03:11 PM
I rather liked Jeff Cox. That guy was a riot at SoxFest last year.

eriqjaffe
10-10-2011, 03:16 PM
I rather liked Jeff Cox.Me, too. I was a little surprised when he was part of the housecleaning.

Marqhead
10-10-2011, 03:21 PM

He's the only guy I'm upset about being gone, but I understand Robin wants his guys and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully Cox catches on somewhere else if not Miami.

wilburaga
10-10-2011, 03:25 PM

How about our coaching and deveopment staffs suck AND our scouting and drafting sucks?

Gammons Peter
10-10-2011, 03:30 PM

He's an idiot, ever hear the guy talk, he's like Floyd the Barber on crack.

Gammons Peter
10-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Does anyone know the connection to Parent. Why him? Robin must know him well, right?

Frater Perdurabo
10-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Does anyone know the connection to Parent. Why him? Robin must know him well, right?

One of the published stories reports Parent and Ventura shared the same agent as players.

Domeshot17
10-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Since it has its own thread, I will just copy my initial response in the other thread:

Very Underwhelming Coaching Staff. I like McEwing, but Parent is just kind meh, and talks of our minor league hitting instructors being promoted, this whole staff might make less than Ozzie did total.

I don't get it. I was fine giving Robin a chance, but why promote a bunch instructors when we do such a poor job with developing guys in the minors.

russ99
10-10-2011, 03:51 PM
If Robin actually picked these guys, I'm OK with it. If it's Jerry assembling the cheapest staff possible, I'm not.

I hope Jerry at least spends a little cash on hitting coach, since that's been such a huge issue with our team.

DonnieDarko
10-10-2011, 04:02 PM
So I guess that this confirms a rebuild, eh? Dammit.

Oh well, I suppose that it was coming sooner rather than later. The team is likely not to do much for 3-4 years though as we wait for these hulking contracts to expire...

Tragg
10-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Where has Parent been coaching?

eriqjaffe
10-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Where has Parent been coaching?Reading, PA.

slavko
10-10-2011, 06:08 PM

Floyd the Barber, LOL. On crack! You go back a long way. Hey didya know that actor was in the really ancient Life of Riley series starring William Bendix playing the Andy the Barber character?

Brian26
10-10-2011, 07:04 PM

Cox is a clown. That talk-really-fast schtick gets old after five minutes. He wanted to fight a kid at Soxfest who asked him about sending Konerko home on a sac fly attempt.

thomas35forever
10-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Cox is a clown. That talk-really-fast schtick gets old after five minutes. He wanted to fight a kid at Soxfest who asked him about sending Konerko home on a sac fly attempt.
Doesn't sound like him. Count me in with the pro-Cox crowd.

CHISOXFAN13
10-10-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm a fan of the McEwing hire. He was one of the guys I liked for the managerial position.

Moses_Scurry
10-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Maybe Jerry is hiring the cheapest coaching staff possible so Kenny can make a run at Pujols and CJ Wilson, while keeping Buehrle.

Brian26
10-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Doesn't sound like him.

Are you telling me that it didn't happen?

DirtySox
10-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Are you telling me that it didn't happen?

I'm with you. From everything I've witnessed and heard, Cox seems to primarily provide comic relief and not much else.

Brian26
10-10-2011, 09:20 PM
I'm with you. From everything I've witnessed and heard, Cox seems to primarily provide comic relief and not much else.

The problem is that he's not funny either, so he really provides nothing.

captain54
10-10-2011, 11:38 PM

If it bothers you that people express their point of view, why even have a board?

Nellie_Fox
10-11-2011, 12:04 AM
If it bothers you that people express their point of view, why even have a board?It is possible to express a point of view without carrying on like you know more than the people who have spent their entire lives in baseball. If somebody can't take getting teased about acting like an expert rather than like a fan, maybe they shouldn't post on message boards.

SoxSpeed22
10-11-2011, 12:50 AM
I don't mind McEwing as a 3rd base coach, he's done a solid job as a minor league manager and knows the game well. I don't really know much about Parent, so I don't know what to expect. There are no big splashes at this point.

captain54
10-11-2011, 02:03 AM
It is possible to express a point of view without carrying on like you know more than the people who have spent their entire lives in baseball.

True, that can get old... but equally annoying are those that don't feel the fan really has a right to a strong point of view about their team..

Which brings up this thought: Because one has spent their entire life in baseball, thus, no one has the right to second guess them?

Nellie_Fox
10-11-2011, 11:58 AM
True, that can get old... but equally annoying are those that don't feel the fan really has a right to a strong point of view about their team..

Which brings up this thought: Because one has spent their entire life in baseball, thus, no one has the right to second guess them?I was thinking about this last night. What I realized, and I'll only speak for myself, is that I have no problem with people second-guessing (although it's real easy to know what should have been done after all the facts are in) or disagreeing. It's the posters who say that a GM, manager, or owner is an "idiot" or incompetent simply because they think they would have done it differently, and won't acknowledge that those people have access to information that fans don't. It's the posters who say "anybody would be better" or "it can't be any worse" because both of those things are nonsense. It can always be worse.

KyWhiSoxFan
10-11-2011, 12:24 PM
I was thinking about this last night. What I realized, and I'll only speak for myself, is that I have no problem with people second-guessing (although it's real easy to know what should have been done after all the facts are in) or disagreeing. It's the posters who say that a GM, manager, or owner is an "idiot" or incompetent simply because they think they would have done it differently, and won't acknowledge that those people have access to information that fans don't. It's the posters who say "anybody would be better" or "it can't be any worse" because both of those things are nonsense. It can always be worse.

I have a sinking feeling we're about ready to find out.

asindc
10-11-2011, 01:16 PM
I was thinking about this last night. What I realized, and I'll only speak for myself, is that I have no problem with people second-guessing (although it's real easy to know what should have been done after all the facts are in) or disagreeing. It's the posters who say that a GM, manager, or owner is an "idiot" or incompetent simply because they think they would have done it differently, and won't acknowledge that those people have access to information that fans don't. It's the posters who say "anybody would be better" or "it can't be any worse" because both of those things are nonsense. It can always be worse.

Exactly. As someone once said, a person is entitled to his own opinion, but no one is entitled to his own facts.

captain54
10-11-2011, 01:56 PM
that those people have access to information that fans don't..

KW and the organization had access to all the inside info and the Sox still had three disappointing seasons in a row, with a few more possibly on the horizon. Go figure. Just goes to show the man behind the Velvet Curtain is not always right.

I'm really just trying to cut the fans a little slack here, Mr. Fox. Do you really think that most fans that rant and rail against management saying they are idiots, morons, etc...really believe they themselves could do a better job? I don't. Give a fan a forum and you're bound to hear all kinds of wacky stuff. Give a fan a forum when the team blows the wackiness is off the charts.

It's what fans do, and its been going on forever.

doublem23
10-11-2011, 02:01 PM
KW and the organization had access to all the inside info and the Sox still had three disappointing seasons in a row, with a few more possibly on the horizon. Go figure. Just goes to show the man behind the Velvet Curtain is not always right.

I'm really just trying to cut the fans a little slack here, Mr. Fox. Do you really think that most fans that rant and rail against management saying they are idiots, morons, etc...really believe they themselves could do a better job? I don't. Give a fan a forum and you're bound to hear all kinds of wacky stuff. Give a fan a forum when the team blows the wackiness is off the charts.

Which is why, you might notice, unregulated fan forums are almost unreadable. If you want the pure essence of uncensored fans just "ranting and railing" as they are so inclined to do, the free boards at ESPN are a welcome respite. No one there to try and keep people from posting whatever stupid **** they can pull out of their ass.

delben91
10-11-2011, 02:26 PM

As of this past July, almost 30 posters on this very site thought they could do a better job than Ozzie.

Link (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=129216&highlight=ozzie)

asindc
10-11-2011, 02:39 PM
As of this past July, almost 30 posters on this very site thought they could do a better job than Ozzie.

Link (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=129216&highlight=ozzie)

I am so glad that none of those people will be managing the Sox in the foreseeable future. In fact, if a fan were to be chosen off WSI or out of the stands to manage the team one day, I would much prefer it to be someone who realizes that they don't know even half the **** that goes into the job and almost none of the **** that goes into hiring a manager. At least that person would be more willing to learn all they could and would admit when they don't have the answers.

SI1020
10-11-2011, 03:06 PM

It's what fans do, and its been going on forever. My sentiments exactly.

Nellie_Fox
10-11-2011, 03:56 PM
KW and the organization had access to all the inside info and the Sox still had three disappointing seasons in a row, with a few more possibly on the horizon. Go figure. Just goes to show the man behind the Velvet Curtain is not always right. Never said he is. I said he has access to information that we don't have. That information might have made the move make more sense when he made it than it appeared to those without the information.

It's what fans do, and its been going on forever.I can't count the number of times that a poster has, after such a rant, has said something to the effect of "and if you don't agree with that, you don't know anything about baseball." So, essentially they have said that the owner, GM, or manager that they're railing on doesn't know anything about baseball, and they (the poster) does. So, yes, we have posters here who think they could do a better job. Not everyone who criticizes management fits into that category; in fact, most don't. But there are a substantial number who do.

captain54
10-11-2011, 05:41 PM
So, yes, we have posters here who think they could do a better job. .

I wouldn't say that's entirely out of the realm of possibility, I still find it very unlikely that a poster would in their heart of hearts think they could step into the GM role TODAY and make a difference.

Daver
10-11-2011, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't say that's entirely out of the realm of possibility

I would say it is very much out of the realm of possibility. we have posters here that pass judgment on the performance of minor league instructors without even knowing what a minor league instructor actually does, to expect them to be able to grasp all that encompasses a GM's job is a pure fantasy.

captain54
10-11-2011, 10:39 PM
I would say it is very much out of the realm of possibility.

I think what you mean is.. it is very much IN the realm of possibility...

we have posters here that pass judgment on the performance of minor league instructors without even knowing what a minor league instructor actually does

This issue was banged around ad nauseum when there were some that came to Walker's defense, saying you have no right to criticize the man's performance unless you know what his exact duties are.

Harry Chappas
10-13-2011, 10:19 AM
If Robin actually picked these guys, I'm OK with it. If it's Jerry assembling the cheapest staff possible, I'm not.

I hope Jerry at least spends a little cash on hitting coach, since that's been such a huge issue with our team.

I seriously doubt Jerry is pulling the strings here. He probably couldn't pick any of these guys out of a police lineup.