PDA

View Full Version : White Sox rebuilding?

thomas35forever
10-07-2011, 11:50 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111007&content_id=25550884&vkey=news_cws&c_id=cws&partnerId=rss_cws

soxfanatlanta
10-08-2011, 08:07 AM
It puts the Ventura signing in better perspective, doesn't it?

SOXSINCE'70
10-08-2011, 08:14 AM
As a bitter White Sox fan, I root for Ventura,but wonder 2 things:

1. Is Ventura Kenny's puppet?
2. Will there ever be another WS appearance in my lifetime?

Only time will tell.

russ99
10-08-2011, 09:21 AM

Only time will tell.

I doubt Kenny hired Ventura as his puppet, he's still the manager. Even during the worst conflicts with Ozzie, KW let him do his job.

My worry is more if the Sox hired a fan favorite in Ventura to deflect criticism over hiring one of the cheapest and least experienced guys, i.e. more about perception than baseball.

My dad wasn't lucky enough to see the Sox win the World Series, so I'm grateful to have seen that once. More titles would be fantastic, but in that perspective would be a bonus.

Noneck
10-08-2011, 09:56 AM

I truly wonder if Williams has any puppets. I think everyone is under the grand puppet masters control. Well at least is was like that for awhile and dont see why it would change.

tstrike2000
10-08-2011, 10:13 AM

Only time will tell.

Perhaps to some degree they're all JR's puppets. Since Kenny stated before that he's offered to "fire" himself and wanted to fire Ozzie with JR intervening in both, it's impossible to say exactly how much influence JR had on Ventura's hiring. Maybe some, maybe a lot. With the amount of family atmosphere that JR thrives on, and the love affair with hiring former Sox players as coaches over the years, that has the owner written all over it.

DirtySox
10-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Sure seems they are embarking on some degree of rebuilding. From everything Kenny has said the past few weeks to now. The Ventura hiring itself along with Kenny's comments on it reinforce that as well. I'd wager it's more of a brief restock versus a traditional rebuild though.

sullythered
10-08-2011, 12:28 PM
I truly wonder if Williams has any puppets. I think everyone is under the grand puppet masters control. Well at least is was like that for awhile and dont see why it would change.

I have a feeling you think JR is some kind of comic book supervillain.

24thStFan
10-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Kenny sure has been talking like he has low expectations for next season. He said Robin could "grow into the job in 2-3 years."

Does this mean Kenny wants to rebuild or just stand pat with a bad team?

Tragg
10-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Hmm, if the trade AJ and Konerko, as the article suggests, the veteran leadership will have to come from Alex Rios. He will teach by doing and show the young players how the game is played.

34rancher
10-08-2011, 05:59 PM
A good rebuilding construction has top notch materials and good bulldozers,
all we have is a Big Donkey. Signing Dunn will (as predicted) set this franchise back 5-10 years.

hi im skot
10-08-2011, 06:08 PM
all we have is a Big Donkey. Signing Dunn will (as predicted) set this franchise back 5-10 years.

Jesus christ...this again?

Daver
10-08-2011, 06:23 PM
If the Sox are rebuilding they will suck for a long time, as they have nothing to rebuild with, just about all of their real talent is on the forty man roster, and some of that is questionable talent.

WhiteSoxOnly
10-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Hmm, if the trade AJ and Konerko, as the article suggests, the veteran leadership will have to come from Alex Rios. He will teach by doing and show the young players how the game is played.

Where do i sign up ?

SoxSpeed22
10-08-2011, 06:33 PM
I expect at least 3 or 4 last place finishes in a row. If they don't spend more on scouting and draft picks, it could be at least 7 or 8. The main thing to focus on right now is getting the best talent for what you have now, no one should be secure.

TomBradley72
10-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Basically they have been incompetent at both putting together a roster at the major league level (the Dunn/Rios/Peavy/Hudson/Swisher disasters) as well as developing the minor league system (Mitchell is one of our best prospects?)- why KW still has a job is beyond me= a title 6 years ago doesn't justify it..

Noneck
10-08-2011, 08:05 PM
I have a feeling you think JR is some kind of comic book supervillain.

I have not read comic books in 50 years so I dont know what type of villains are out there these days.

I think of him not as a villain but as a certain political figure who I of course cant expand on here.

captain54
10-08-2011, 08:44 PM
If the Sox are rebuilding they will suck for a long time, as they have nothing to rebuild with, just about all of their real talent is on the forty man roster, and some of that is questionable talent.

That could very well be, but the positive in that is that we won't have to deal with the agony and misery, frustration of a high expectation bunch breaking our hearts again

When the White Sox won the World Series in 2005, Konerko pointed out the preseason predictions had them third. He added that being tabbed as favorites hasn't done them well over the past few years.

A. Cavatica
10-08-2011, 08:56 PM

And if they're not rebuilding they will suck for a long time. You don't seriously think this team is a couple of moves from being a contender, do you? With Jerry tightening the purse strings after Peavy/Rios/Dunn all backfired?

Tragg
10-08-2011, 09:01 PM
KW is going to make some moves with veterans (Quentin, Danks, Floyd, maybe Konerko). Let's hope he can evaluate the talent in the other teams' organizations accurately.

Parrothead
10-09-2011, 08:41 AM
KW is going to make some moves with veterans (Quentin, Danks, Floyd, maybe Konerko). Let's hope he can evaluate the talent in the other teams' organizations accurately.

I don't see it happening. This scouting staff should have been let go years ago. They obvisously can't evaluate talent.

sullythered
10-09-2011, 10:37 PM
I have not read comic books in 50 years so I dont know what type of villains are out there these days.

I think of him not as a villain but as a certain political figure who I of course cant expand on here.

I knew it! Lex Luthor became the president in the Superman comics, so that must be the political figure you're talkin' about.:D:

WhiteSox56
10-10-2011, 10:24 AM
I think it's hard for fans to realize this team will be bad for at least 3-4 years. We have our kids playing next year, as we should, but maybe we can make things interesting? Do we even have decent young talent? Things get real scary when you start to realize the lack of young talent this organization has, which is important in "rebuilding". How's our balance sheet looking?

russ99
10-10-2011, 12:31 PM
I think it's hard for fans to realize this team will be bad for at least 3-4 years. We have our kids playing next year, as we should, but maybe we can make things interesting? Do we even have decent young talent? Things get real scary when you start to realize the lack of young talent this organization has, which is important in "rebuilding". How's our balance sheet looking?

We do have the most decent young talent on the club at any time after 2005.

That said, a lineup with A.J., Konerko, Beckham, Escobar, Morel, Viciedo, DeAza, Danks and Flowers won't scare anyone.

KMcMahon817
10-10-2011, 12:52 PM

That said, a lineup with A.J., Konerko, Beckham, Escobar, Morel, Viciedo, DeAza, Danks and Flowers won't scare anyone.

If Escobar and Danks make the team, it will be in a very limted capacity. Assuming the SOX don't go wild and deal Konerko, AJ and Alexei this will likely be the line-up most days:

De Aza CF
Ramirez SS
Konerko 1B
Dunn DH
Viciedo LF
AJ C
Rios RF
Morel 3B
Beckham 2B

Not exactly a great everyday, but it has some potential.

russ99
10-11-2011, 08:52 AM
If Escobar and Danks make the team, it will be in a very limted capacity. Assuming the SOX don't go wild and deal Konerko, AJ and Alexei this will likely be the line-up most days:

De Aza CF
Ramirez SS
Konerko 1B
Dunn DH
Viciedo LF
AJ C
Rios RF
Morel 3B
Beckham 2B

Not exactly a great everyday, but it has some potential.

I'm not thinking the current roster, I'm thinking late next year and into 2013, since Kenny seems to have a 3-year plan.

If the Sox are rebuilding, then at least one of Rios and Dunn will eventually be traded, probably both if they can perform next year to a level to make them appealing to other teams. I'd hope we can get a young player to hold down RF for the next 10 years for one of them.

Alexei's contract starts escalating ($2.5 this year, $5M next, $7M in 2013, $9.5M in 2014, $10M in 2015) so I'm expecting a GM who's rebuilding to move him. Escobar is his replacement, who should be ready for the big leagues by the end of 2012 at the latest.

TommyJohn
10-11-2011, 09:26 AM
all we have is a Big Donkey. Signing Dunn will (as predicted) set this franchise back 5-10 years.You predicted failure. Congratulations! Hope you didn't dislocate your shoulder from patting yourself on the back.

doublem23
10-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Jesus christ...this again?

We all have to know how smart he is!!1!

Christ Almighty, what I wouldn't give for Adam Dunn to crush 45 home runs next year, not just because that would be awesome for the Sox but so I could stuff it in that dude's ****ing face.

Gammons Peter
10-11-2011, 09:55 AM
I'm not thinking the current roster, I'm thinking late next year and into 2013, since Kenny seems to have a 3-year plan.

If the Sox are rebuilding, then at least one of Rios and Dunn will eventually be traded, probably both if they can perform next year to a level to make them appealing to other teams. I'd hope we can get a young player to hold down RF for the next 10 years for one of them.

Alexei's contract starts escalating ($2.5 this year, $5M next, $7M in 2013, $9.5M in 2014, $10M in 2015) so I'm expecting a GM who's rebuilding to move him. Escobar is his replacement, who should be ready for the big leagues by the end of 2012 at the latest.

LOL
You're dreaming

TomBradley72
10-11-2011, 12:34 PM

Not very tough to beat- our "young" position players since 2005 have been Anderson, Owens, Fields, Richar, etc.-and many of the 2012 projected guys (De Aza, Humber, Flowers) aren't that young (ages 26-29)- just cheap and relatively fresh from the minors.

KMcMahon817
10-11-2011, 02:42 PM

Sure, its possible Dunn and/or Rios could be moved if they return to full-form in 2012. I hope like hell they do. But, you continuously mention that you hope Dunn or Rios is moved this offseason. That just isn't happening...it's not.

And Escobar would be a horse**** replacement for Alexei...let's be real here. If Alexei continues to do what he has done for the past 3 seasons, and mildly improves or stays right around the same, he is a solid bargain at 7-9M for a SS. Again, sure, if they are going to a full rebuild, Alexei is available. But there is simply no way to do a full rebuild in 2012..there are too many contracts that the SOX are just better holding onto and hoping for the best, rather than moving them while getting nothing in return and paying 80% of their contract. I can only imagine the uproar this place would be in if KW dealt Dunn for nothing and picked up the vast majority of his contract, and Dunn decided to hit .250/40/100 next year.

If Kenny's plan is a three year plan, his plan for 2012 needs to be to hold still. And that is basically what he said he is going to do. If the SOX suck in April and May, then deal Danks, Floyd and Thornton. Q is as good as gone once the WS is over.

Hitmen77
10-11-2011, 08:48 PM

Sad, but true.:(:

Lip Man 1
10-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Kenny doesn't think so:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2011/10/white-sox-gm-prefers-retooling.html

Lip

DirtySox
10-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Retooling/Rebuilding, neither should inspire much confidence in next year's team and beyond. "Retool" is just a nicer, softer word than rebuild.

KMcMahon817
10-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Retooling/Rebuilding, neither should inspire much confidence in next year's team and beyond. "Retool" is just a nicer, softer word than rebuild.

You can't rebuild a team when three of your highest paid players are not movable. A team with Dunn and Rios in the everyday lineup and Peavy taking the hill every 5th day is not a team in the midst of a rebuild.

eriqjaffe
10-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Retooling/Rebuilding, neither should inspire much confidence in next year's team and beyond. "Retool" is just a nicer, softer word than rebuild."Retreading" is a more accurate word, though.

DirtySox
10-12-2011, 12:16 PM
You can't rebuild a team when three of your highest paid players are not movable. A team with Dunn and Rios in the everyday lineup and Peavy taking the hill every 5th day is not a team in the midst of a rebuild.

This is ultimately going to bog down into semantics. Yes, Rios, Dunn, and Peavy are immovable. This is why Quentin, Danks, Floyd, Thornton and AJ are on the block this winter. There is going to be a rebuild, or retooling of sorts going on to some degree.

DirtySox
11-15-2011, 06:04 PM
DKnobler DKnobler
Kenny Williams says if White Sox can make deals he wants, they would officially be "rebuilding"
50 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-williams-intrigued-by-new-interest-in-players-20111115,0,5215505.story

WhiteSox5187
11-15-2011, 06:18 PM
DKnobler DKnobler
Kenny Williams says if White Sox can make deals he wants, they would officially be "rebuilding"
50 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-williams-intrigued-by-new-interest-in-players-20111115,0,5215505.story

If the White Sox make the deals Kenny wants I suspect we will have lots of former football players who are great athletes that can't field and hit off speed pitches. Kenny is NOT the guy who should be in charge of rebuilding.

DirtySox
11-15-2011, 08:22 PM
The White Sox Could Be....Rebuilding? (http://danny-knobler.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/8590096/33334777)

gosox41
11-15-2011, 08:50 PM

Only time will tell.

1. Yes
2. Depending on your age and health, I'd say there is a good chance but first KW needs to be fired.

Bob

Lip Man 1
11-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Recapping what's gone on at the GM meetings from Kenny's perspective.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/8858167-419/its-ken-williams-favorite-time-of-the-year.html

He says the Sox might not be "rebuilding" (he's all over the map with this isn't he??) although that could just be semantics on his part.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
11-16-2011, 11:57 AM
I hate that word, big market teams do not rebuild.
The Sox have a nice core of players and if Dunn and Rios have comeback type years I can see this team contending just the way it is. I base that on Buerhle returning to the Sox. I like DeAza as our leadoff man and centerfielder with Viciedo in RF and TCQ in LF. If Beckham returns to form our infield is darn good with PK, TCM and Morel only getting better.
Our starting pitching was darn good until September and led the league in quality starts for much of the year. The bullpen was pretty good also especially Crain and Santos
What needs to be done is for our new hitting coach to get our hitters to be more selective at the plate. I would also like to see Ventura play the regulars more in ST so we start the year with some wins instead of coming out flat and looking like they never played the game before.

Domeshot17
11-16-2011, 12:04 PM
I hate that word, big market teams do not rebuild.
The Sox have a nice core of players and if Dunn and Rios have comeback type years I can see this team contending just the way it is. I base that on Buerhle returning to the Sox. I like DeAza as our leadoff man and centerfielder with Viciedo in RF and TCQ in LF. If Beckham returns to form our infield is darn good with PK, TCM and Morel only getting better.
Our starting pitching was darn good until September and led the league in quality starts for much of the year. The bullpen was pretty good also especially Crain and Santos
What needs to be done is for our new hitting coach to get our hitters to be more selective at the plate. I would also like to see Ventura play the regulars more in ST so we start the year with some wins instead of coming out flat and looking like they never played the game before.

You are asking a lot, you basically saying if everyone has a good year and no one has a bad year then we can contend... Isn't that true of 20 teams?

Buehrle is gone, we are not bringing him back. Flowers should probably take over as the full time C. If Kenny has any brains, he will lock up Danks long term and build the rotation around him and Sale, but Danks seems to want to go to a winning team.

Big market teams who don't spend anything on their scouting/drafting/developing of players do rebuild because they can't supplement a major league roster. This is what happened to the White Sox. Outside the bullpen, they are haven't been able to produce anything from the farm. Gordon has been a bust, Morel looked very weak, Vicideo has a chance so does Flowers, but no one else really (I don't really count De Aza as a prospect because he is 27).

WhiteSox5187
11-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Recapping what's gone on at the GM meetings from Kenny's perspective.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/8858167-419/its-ken-williams-favorite-time-of-the-year.html

He says the Sox might not be "rebuilding" (he's all over the map with this isn't he??) although that could just be semantics on his part.

Lip

Reading that story the word "directionless" immediately comes to mind.

DirtySox
11-16-2011, 12:34 PM

In between baby!

soxfanatlanta
11-16-2011, 12:47 PM

Also, the author used the phrase "trading for young talent".

Looking at the farm system, KW cannot recognize young talent.

Ugh.

LITTLE NELL
11-16-2011, 01:11 PM
You are asking a lot, you basically saying if everyone has a good year and no one has a bad year then we can contend... Isn't that true of 20 teams?

Buehrle is gone, we are not bringing him back. Flowers should probably take over as the full time C. If Kenny has any brains, he will lock up Danks long term and build the rotation around him and Sale, but Danks seems to want to go to a winning team.

Big market teams who don't spend anything on their scouting/drafting/developing of players do rebuild because they can't supplement a major league roster. This is what happened to the White Sox. Outside the bullpen, they are haven't been able to produce anything from the farm. Gordon has been a bust, Morel looked very weak, Vicideo has a chance so does Flowers, but no one else really (I don't really count De Aza as a prospect because he is 27).

You are right about everybody needing to have a good year, thats what usually happens when a team contends. Look at the 2005 Sox, not too many guys stunk up the place that year.
I believe that if Dunn had performed to his career norms and Rios had a 2010 like year this team would have been in it right to the end. We were still in it as late as Aug 17 when we were 3.5 games out. It also did not help when TCQ hurt his shoulder.
I also think that the team had enough of Ozzie and his circus. Has any player gone on record as saying how much he is going to miss Ozzie as the Sox manager?

russ99
11-16-2011, 03:36 PM
I believe that if Dunn had performed to his career norms and Rios had a 2010 like year this team would have been in it right to the end. We were still in it as late as Aug 17 when we were 3.5 games out. It also did not help when TCQ hurt his shoulder.

Naw. Our pitching still collapsed, and would have even with those guys playing better.

Nellie_Fox
11-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Naw. Our pitching still collapsed, and would have even with those guys playing better.With more offense, the pitching would not have been so taxed.

LITTLE NELL
11-16-2011, 06:17 PM
With more offense, the pitching would not have been so taxed.

You got it.

Hitmen77
11-16-2011, 06:51 PM
If the White Sox make the deals Kenny wants I suspect we will have lots of former football players who are great athletes that can't field and hit off speed pitches. Kenny is NOT the guy who should be in charge of rebuilding.

....and don't forget that we'll have guys who are "grinders" and "Chicago tough"!

How long has it been since the Sox supposedly had a "shake up" of their farm system? I'm thinking of when they brought in Buddy Bell? I think that was in 2008. Here we are 3 years later and it sounds like our system is still very thin on talent.

Frater Perdurabo
11-16-2011, 08:14 PM
How long has it been since the Sox supposedly had a "shake up" of their farm system? I'm thinking of when they brought in Buddy Bell? I think that was in 2008. Here we are 3 years later and it sounds like our system is still very thin on talent.

It's hard to develop top-notch prospects when the organization consistently refuses to draft players who might command "over-slot" bonuses.

guillensdisciple
11-16-2011, 08:18 PM

Yep, but so much of last year was due to underperformance.

I have never seen so many players who were supposed to produce fail at once. Sometimes it's really difficult to take that into account.

Hindsight makes us believe we would have done it differently, but so many of us believed this offense was going to be the carrying point last year.

Oh well.

SI1020
11-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Reading that story the word "directionless" immediately comes to mind. Exactly. Directionless and adrift.

Daver
11-17-2011, 12:52 AM
It's hard to develop top-notch prospects when the organization consistently refuses to draft players who might command "over-slot" bonuses.

Spending over slot is not the problem, the number of teams that go way over slot on unproven talent is the minority, not the majority. The teams that can actually develop talent do just fine refining the talent of guys that are good ballplayers.

How many perennial All Stars were on the 2005 roster?

russ99
11-17-2011, 08:45 AM

To some extent, yes, but Peavy was done, no matter what.

Also, both Danks and Floyd both caved in big must-win games against the division leaders the last two seasons. They have produced good numbers and are solid mid-rotation guys but seem to always lose when we most need them to go the extra mile. And neither look like they'll be a staff ace at this point.

Not sure guys like that are worth the contracts they'll earn starting next season. Maybe it is best that we trade them now and maximize the return in quality young talent.

Nellie_Fox
11-17-2011, 11:10 AM
To some extent, yes, but Peavy was done, no matter what.

Also, both Danks and Floyd both caved in big must-win games against the division leaders the last two seasons. They have produced good numbers and are solid mid-rotation guys but seem to always lose when we most need them to go the extra mile. And neither look like they'll be a staff ace at this point.

Not sure guys like that are worth the contracts they'll earn starting next season. Maybe it is best that we trade them now and maximize the return in quality young talent.Most "quality young talent" never makes it to the bigs. I never understand the rush to trade young players for prospects.

Noneck
11-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Most "quality young talent" never makes it to the bigs. I never understand the rush to trade young players for prospects.

The situation of Floyd and Danks is not about keeping quality young talent, it would be about shedding salary.

DonnieDarko
11-17-2011, 12:32 PM
The situation of Floyd and Danks is not about keeping quality young talent, it would be about shedding salary.

With Danks it's about talent (but getting talent, not keeping it), because I don't think that he wants to sign here. Might as well get what picks/prospects we can for him through a trade if he truly doesn't want to sign with the Sox, no?

Noneck
11-17-2011, 12:50 PM
With Danks it's about talent (but getting talent, not keeping it), because I don't think that he wants to sign here. Might as well get what picks/prospects we can for him through a trade if he truly doesn't want to sign with the Sox, no?

I have no idea if Danks wants to stay here or not but if the Sox dont plan on offering him enough to stay or change his mind, it comes down to money not giving up young talent for prospects.

russ99
11-17-2011, 01:58 PM
I have no idea if Danks wants to stay here or not but if the Sox dont plan on offering him enough to stay or change his mind, it comes down to money not giving up young talent for prospects.

To me the question is will Danks be worth the $10-14M/per (not counting inflation) he'll be paid starting in 2013?

IMO, probably not. So why not get a good young player or two for the next 5 years for him?

Sargeant79
11-17-2011, 02:31 PM
To me the question is will Danks be worth the $10-14M/per (not counting inflation) he'll be paid starting in 2013?

IMO, probably not. So why not get a good young player or two for the next 5 years for him?

I'm not sure if Danks will be worth $10-14 million or not, but I am fairly confident the that will be the market for him will be at least that amount. I also am fairly confident in guessing that the Sox will not be the team paying him that amount. If that is the case, than the time to trade him is now.

Harry Chappas
11-17-2011, 05:08 PM

Bingo. Jesus himself couldn't turn the turds in our farm system into legit MLB players. We don't spend that much on scouting/minor leagues and Kenny has a terrible eye for talent. He seems to zero in on "projects" or signable, low-ceiling, college pitchers. This model has left of bereft of talent which makes a "rebuild" or youth movement almost impossible.

WhiteSox5187
11-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Bingo. Jesus himself couldn't turn the turds in our farm system into legit MLB players. We don't spend that much on scouting/minor leagues and Kenny has a terrible eye for talent. He seems to zero in on "projects" or signable, low-ceiling, college pitchers. This model has left of bereft of talent which makes a "rebuild" or youth movement almost impossible.

It seems to me that in the draft Kenny likes either signable pitchers who can maybe be a decent number four guy or former football players who can't hit anything besides a fastball and has no concept of defense.

gosox41
11-17-2011, 10:37 PM
It seems to me that in the draft Kenny likes either signable pitchers who can maybe be a decent number four guy or former football players who can't hit anything besides a fastball and has no concept of defense.

Does that sound like anyone we know?

Bob

russ99
11-18-2011, 08:47 AM

Well, the signable part is all Jerry. I have to cut Kenny a little slack since Jerry puts so much restrictions on who we can draft.

I wonder how much that may change with the new labor deal's rework of draft slotting.