PDA

View Full Version : 2011 NLCS - Brewers vs. Cardinals

thomas35forever
10-07-2011, 10:24 PM
I say Brewers in 6.

SOXPHILE
10-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Hey "Tony Plush", guess who's coming to town? "Alberta" and the "cryin' birds". They won't be "watchin' tha crew" in the playoffs. They'll actually be playing you.

OmahaSoxFan
10-07-2011, 10:52 PM
My prediction - Brewers win in 7... this is going to be a fun series to watch between two division rivals with a lot on the line.

Soxman219
10-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Brewers and Cardinals HATE each other. This will go the distance, that's all I can guarantee. Maybe Cardinals in 7

ComiskeyBrewer
10-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Brewers match up really well with the cards, and they have really owned STL in STL the last few years. I say Brewers in 6. My question is will TLR go out to inspect the Brewers LED ribbon before game 1?:gulp:

DSpivack
10-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Brewers and Cardinals HATE each other. This will go the distance, that's all I can guarantee. Maybe Cardinals in 7

Should be a great series.

I'm going with Milwaukee, think they have better pitching.

MARTINMVP
10-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Really looking forward to this.

If Detroit takes town Texas, then we will have an all-Midwest World Series.

PKalltheway
10-08-2011, 01:50 AM
I'll say the Cardinals in five. Even though I can't stand them, they are a team that is on fire right now. Their hot streak will get them past the Brewers into the World Series.

MUsoxfan
10-08-2011, 02:24 AM
The Brewers winning the World Series would be almost as wonderful for me as the Sox winning it

SOXSINCE'70
10-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Hey "Tony Plush", guess who's coming to town? "Alberta" and the "cryin' birds". They won't be "watchin' tha crew" in the playoffs. They'll actually be playing you.

Well played.:tiphat::tiphat:

And those comments about "Alberta" and the "cryin' birds" may yet come back to haunt the man known as "Tony Plush".

TomBradley72
10-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Cards in 7.

I'll be rooting for the Brewers- but will happy to see Larussa get back to the World Series- he's one of the great managers of my lifetime- and what he's pulled off with the 2011 Cards is very impressive.

I think the Brewers ae heavily based on emotion and playing at home- as long as the Cards pick up at least one at Miller Park- I think they take a close/intense series.

Hitmen77
10-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Interestingly,
This NLCS is a rematch of the 1982 World Series. The Cardinals beat the Brewers in 7 games in the battle of "beer" cities.

The Brewers are a small market success story. Several years ago, they were like the Royals and Pirates: one of the smallest markets, low attendance, low revenue, low payroll, no playoff appearance and/or winning season in ages. They really have turned things around since opening Miller Park.

The Brewers winning the World Series would be almost as wonderful for me as the Sox winning it

I wonder when was the last time that the same "city" won the Super Bowl and World Series in the same year? Yeah, I know the Packers don't play in Milwaukee, but IMO this would count.

I think the Pirates and the Steelers may have won it all back in 1979.

cub killer
10-08-2011, 01:51 PM
These 2 teams are gonna get physical, physical, they wanna get physical...

Hmm, I see NBC is premiering a sitcom about some Boston tavern...

beasly213
10-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Let's go Brew Crew!

PeteWard
10-09-2011, 02:45 AM
I thought pulling for the Brewers would be a no brainer as they used to be my second team in their old AL days.. But now that I have finally seen them play (I don't follow NL during the regular season much), I realize that at least half of their players are utter *******s. AND I dislike Larussa.

Meteor? :scratch:

sox1970
10-09-2011, 07:57 AM
I thought pulling for the Brewers would be a no brainer as they used to be my second team in their old AL days.. But now that I have finally seen them play (I don't follow NL during the regular season much), I realize that at least half of their players are utter *******s. AND I dislike Larussa.

Meteor? :scratch:

I completely agree. There's a lot not to like about the Brewers.

LongLiveFisk
10-09-2011, 09:24 AM
These 2 teams are gonna get physical, physical, they wanna get physical...

Hmm, I see NBC is premiering a sitcom about some Boston tavern...

Forget it. That won't go anywhere....and I can tell you that as a confident sixth grader. :wink:

This will be a good series though. :cool:

MtGrnwdSoxFan
10-09-2011, 02:08 PM
I completely agree. There's a lot not to like about the Brewers.

I absolutely cannot stand Carlos Gomez or Nyjer Morgan. But the Cardinals are no angels either...they whine almost as much as the Twins do.

That said, this should be a hell of a series.

Danielgosox38
10-09-2011, 03:04 PM
I absolutely loathe the Brewers. The Cardinals are my second favorite team, and I think the Brewers have been loud mouthed, busch league morons towards the Cardinals this year. I hope the Cardinals kick the living **** out of the Brewers.

DirtySox
10-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Garcia plunks Prince after the Braun homerun. I smell further shenanagins.

SoxSpeed22
10-09-2011, 03:36 PM
I really don't want an LCS game to turn into a beanball war. Let's see if Albert gets plunked in this game.

DirtySox
10-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Lol. That was so much better than Greinke retaliating. Go **** yourself LaRussa.

harwar
10-09-2011, 05:07 PM
That 5th inning was cool .. the brewers are just fun to watch .. i wish the White Sox could be more like that

Danielgosox38
10-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Lol. That was so much better than Greinke retaliating. Go **** yourself LaRussa.

Too bad the Brewers will soon go back to being irrelevant. :smile:

dwitt76
10-09-2011, 05:19 PM
I wonder when was the last time that the same "city" won the Super Bowl and World Series in the same year? Yeah, I know the Packers don't play in Milwaukee, but IMO this would count.

I think the Pirates and the Steelers may have won it all back in 1979.

I think in 2004 Boston did it

SI1020
10-09-2011, 05:44 PM
I loathe the Brewers and don't like the Cardinals much better. Neither team is very likeable in my view.

KenBerryGrab
10-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Crew in 6. St. Lou doesn't have the arms.

SoxSpeed22
10-09-2011, 06:33 PM
The Cardinals really need Jackson to get them deep into game 2.

Lip Man 1
10-09-2011, 07:22 PM
It's interesting that the Cards have a thing with both the Brewers and the Reds in their own division.

Lip

StillMissOzzie
10-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Garcia plunks Prince after the Braun homerun. I smell further shenanagins.

LaRussa authorizing some headhunting? No way!

I am going with the Brew Crew in 6.

SMO
:gulp:

ComiskeyBrewer
10-10-2011, 12:20 AM
I absolutely loathe the Brewers. The Cardinals are my second favorite team, and I think the Brewers have been loud mouthed, busch league morons towards the Cardinals this year. I hope the Cardinals kick the living **** out of the Brewers.

So LaRussa ordering the plunking Braun in "retaliation" for an accident isn't bush league, complaining that the brewers change the brightness of the LED ribbon(brighter for the brewers, darker every time the cardinals were batting) isn't bush league, calling Milwaukee's fans morons isn't bush league, having Carpenter stare down players and yell **** you to them after striking them out isn't bush league. Or how about blaming the *** kicking the brewers gave Carpenter earlier this year by saying they "had to be stealing signs". That's not Bush league, But the brewers are?:scratch:

Yep, you're a cardinals fan alright.

Too bad the Brewers will soon go back to being irrelevant. :smile:

Yea, signing your key players to long term, team friendly deals is a sure sign of how to become irrelevant. :lol:

ComiskeyBrewer
10-10-2011, 12:25 AM
It's interesting that the Cards have a thing with both the Brewers and the Reds in their own division.

Lip

Reds, Brewers Cubs, Astros. Honestly, everybody in the division dislikes the Cards, a lot of it has to do with the "protectors of the game" attitude they have. If you do something wrong, they are quick to point it out, but god forbid you do the same to them, Tony Larussa will be quick to point out how wrong you are, and how he thought you "were an intelligent person and knew better."

Braves announcer Jim Powell put it best in his twitter feed this week.

"Is there any NL team out there that actually likes the Cardinals?"

#1swisher
10-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Bases loaded for Rickie Weeks
2 outs
gidp

Danielgosox38
10-10-2011, 10:28 PM
You must have missed the part where Morgan started the whole thing with Carpenter. How convenient. We will see how the "Crew" does next year after Fielder signs elsewhere. :smile: the team you're defending has Nyjer Morgan, who has instigated a lot of this. Lol. Nuff said.

So LaRussa ordering the plunking Braun in "retaliation" for an accident isn't bush league, complaining that the brewers change the brightness of the LED ribbon(brighter for the brewers, darker every time the cardinals were batting) isn't bush league, calling Milwaukee's fans morons isn't bush league, having Carpenter stare down players and yell **** you to them after striking them out isn't bush league. Or how about blaming the *** kicking the brewers gave Carpenter earlier this year by saying they "had to be stealing signs". That's not Bush league, But the brewers are?:scratch:

Yea, signing your key players to long term, team friendly deals is a sure sign of how to become irrelevant. :lol:

PeteWard
10-11-2011, 08:38 AM

Yep, you're a cardinals fan alright.

I used to be a big time Brewers fan--second to Sox of course. I am still pulling for them here vs St Lou. But sorry, CB, they do look like a bunch of "look at me" showboating clowns.

doublem23
10-11-2011, 09:30 AM
You must have missed the part where Morgan started the whole thing with Carpenter. How convenient. We will see how the "Crew" does next year after Fielder signs elsewhere. :smile: the team you're defending has Nyjer Morgan, who has instigated a lot of this. Lol. Nuff said.

Please, the Cardinals are every bit as much a problem as the Brewers. Milwaukee's only beef seems to be with St. Louis. As has been pointed out, pretty much every team in the NL doesn't like the Cardinals. Nyjer Morgan is just a goofball, whereas the Cardinals roster is stock full of *******s.

P.S, we'll see how the Cardinals do next year if Albert walks.

Danielgosox38
10-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Please, the Cardinals are every bit as much a problem as the Brewers. Milwaukee's only beef seems to be with St. Louis. As has been pointed out, pretty much every team in the NL doesn't like the Cardinals. Nyjer Morgan is just a goofball, whereas the Cardinals roster is stock full of *******s.

P.S, we'll see how the Cardinals do next year if Albert walks.

Agree to disagree. Besides, Fielder has already pretty much confirmed that he's gone. Albert has not. Morgan is much more than just a "goof". And then there's K-rod... Brewers are much worse about showboating, as another poster said as well.

ComiskeyBrewer
10-11-2011, 03:16 PM

No he didn't....... He responded to Carpenter staring him down and cursing at him after striking him out, which caused Nyjer to curse back(and overreact, imo). Carpenter even admitted that he started it.......... What else did he instigate? I also notice you conveniently ignored my other examples. But hey, i guess it's Morgan's fault TLR was complaining about the LED ribbons, or that LaRussa decided to intentionally hit Braun right?:?:

As for how they will do, i think they will be fine. Pitching wins in baseball, and while losing one player hurts, Milwaukee has more than enough hitters(not to mention the money saved on Fielder can be spent elsewhere), and Fielder isn't even the best one on the team. Besides, it's not exactly hard to find a power hitting first baseman. They are all over the place. I'd rather they spend that money and upgrade the SS position, and resign Grienke long term.

ComiskeyBrewer
10-11-2011, 03:18 PM
I used to be a big time Brewers fan--second to Sox of course. I am still pulling for them here vs St Lou. But sorry, CB, they do look like a bunch of "look at me" showboating clowns.

That's your opinion, i have no beef with that(i think they are just having fun, but again, that's just my opinion). My only complaint is Cardinals fans calling the Brewers bush league, when their team is just as guilty(if not more so).

Morgan is much more than just a "goof".

Based off of what? He has had problems in his past, but this year, he's been pretty much a model employee. He's a big goofball that likes to have fun.

SOXPHILE
10-11-2011, 09:02 PM
That's your opinion, i have no beef with that(i think they are just having fun, but again, that's just my opinion). My only complaint is Cardinals fans calling the Brewers bush league, when their team is just as guilty(if not more so).

Based off of what? He has had problems in his past, but this year, he's been pretty much a model employee. He's a big goofball that likes to have fun.

One man's goofball is another man's bigmouthed assclown (see Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson, etc.). That game when Carpenter struck him out, he was taking his own sweet time walking off the field back to the dugout too. Carpenter probably shouldn't have yelled at him to get the **** off the field either, but neither one of them were blameless in that incident. But then, when he followed that up with his "keepin' it real" street lingo Twitter about "da cryin birds", and "have fun watching da crew in the playoffs", and referred to Pujols as "Alberta", he just came across as a real braying jackass.

ComiskeyBrewer
10-11-2011, 11:27 PM
One man's goofball is another man's bigmouthed assclown (see Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson, etc.).

Good point, it's all perspective i guess.

Danielgosox38
10-11-2011, 11:36 PM
one man's goofball is another man's bigmouthed assclown (see terrell owens, chad johnson, etc.). That game when carpenter struck him out, he was taking his own sweet time walking off the field back to the dugout too. Carpenter probably shouldn't have yelled at him to get the **** off the field either, but neither one of them were blameless in that incident. But then, when he followed that up with his "keepin' it real" street lingo twitter about "da cryin birds", and "have fun watching da crew in the playoffs", and referred to pujols as "alberta", he just came across as a real braying jackass.

+1

Viva Medias B's
10-12-2011, 04:01 PM
The weather looks a little murky in St. Louis.

Webcam view (http://www.ksdk.com/weather/conditions/webcams/1010.aspx) of Busch Stadium

VMSNS
10-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Kotsay starting in CF for Milwaukee? :o:

dwitt76
10-12-2011, 07:41 PM

He hasn't started since August. :scratch:

DirtySox
10-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Neither pitcher looks all that hot tonight.

ComiskeyBrewer
10-12-2011, 08:35 PM

Hit a HR, too.

thomas35forever
10-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Cardinals are one step closer to clinching the series at home.

Hitmen77
10-16-2011, 10:08 AM
If the Brewers can come back and win the next 2 games, this would be the first time ever the World Series did not include one of the 16 original franchises. Wow! I'm surprised that, 50 years after expansion first started, that this has yet to happen.

Also, this would be the first matchup between two franchises who have never won the World Series since 1980 when the Royals faced the Phillies. I have no idea when was the last time before 1980.

TommyJohn
10-16-2011, 10:19 AM
If the Brewers can come back and win the next 2 games, this would be the first time ever the World Series did not include one of the 16 original franchises. Wow! I'm surprised that, 50 years after expansion first started, that this has yet to happen.

Also, this would be the first matchup between two franchises who have never won the World Series since 1980 when the Royals faced the Phillies. I have no idea when was the last time before 1980.

If my calculations are correct (and I am pretty confident they are) the last World Series to feature that before 1980 was in 1920 (!) when the first timer Cleveland Indians played the Brooklyn Dodgers, who had played in it once before that (1916) and lost.

October26
10-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Just turned on the MLB Network & found it interesting that Jerry Manuel is doing commentary for the MLB Tonight Show. It's been awhile since I'd seen Jerry and he's lookin' a little gray in the beard.

Zakath
10-16-2011, 04:21 PM
If my calculations are correct (and I am pretty confident they are) the last World Series to feature that before 1980 was in 1920 (!) when the first timer Cleveland Indians played the Brooklyn Dodgers, who had played in it once before that (1916) and lost.

Correct. The Dodgers weren't even known as the Dodgers at that point, but as the Robins. The Dodgers nickname had been used previously, but wouldn't become the permanent name until 1931.

The Brewers would also be the first team in the modern era to represent two different leagues in the World Series. The Cardinals as the Browns (managed by one Charlie Comiskey) and the Dodgers as the Bridegrooms both represented the old American Association in the World Series in the 1880's before jumping to the NL when the AA went under.

ComiskeyBrewer
10-16-2011, 06:52 PM

Big if tonight, as Marcum is on the mound. The brewers have only lost 25 games at home this season, but of those 25, Marcum started 12. :whiner:

Zakath
10-16-2011, 08:05 PM
Big if tonight, as Marcum is on the mound. The brewers have only lost 25 games at home this season, but of those 25, Marcum started 12. :whiner:

He lasted all of one inning.

6-4 Cardinals, top of 3rd. Pujols just launched one.

6 HR hit so far in this game, with Edwin Jackson giving up 3 of them.

Zakath
10-16-2011, 08:25 PM
9-4, middle of the third.

Milwaukee must be desperate, as they put the ageless and well-traveled LaTroy Hawkins in (didn't know he was from Gary).

guillensdisciple
10-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Wow- I say close up shop depending on what LaRussa does with Jackson. Mistake taking Marcum out. Should have let him get out of his woes.

Rangers against Cards is a sweet world series. Don't actually have a clue who I will be pulling for in that one.

Zakath
10-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Wow- I say close up shop depending on what LaRussa does with Jackson. Mistake taking Marcum out. Should have let him get out of his woes.

Rangers against Cards is a sweet world series. Don't actually have a clue who I will be pulling for in that one.

Jackson got lifted for a PH in the 3rd. Salas in.

guillensdisciple
10-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Bullpen battle the rest of the way- wow.

Zakath
10-16-2011, 08:38 PM
The Cardinals' line score through the first three innings (4-1-4) is the area code for Milwaukee.

You can't make that kind of stuff up.

guillensdisciple
10-16-2011, 08:57 PM
This game is freaking crazy. Hart hits it and we're playing ball for sure.

K'ed him.

ComiskeyBrewer
10-16-2011, 09:19 PM
Wow- I say close up shop depending on what LaRussa does with Jackson. Mistake taking Marcum out. Should have let him get out of his woes..

Tried that during his first 2 postseason starts. There is a reason why he had an(postseason) ERA of 12 coming into tonight's game.

guillensdisciple
10-16-2011, 09:28 PM
I think 11 to 6 will hold up but I want the Brew Crew to come back for the sake of a game 7.

thomas35forever
10-16-2011, 09:34 PM
I think 11 to 6 will hold up but I want the Brew Crew to come back for the sake of a game 7.
I was hoping for a seventh game too, but I don't think it's happening. A premature congrats to St. Louis.

PalehosePlanet
10-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Hard to believe that this Cardinals team was no better than The Sox in late August. I didn't think this team had a 23-9 run in them -- I don't think anyone did.

David Freese is swinging the magic wand right now.

Too bad, I wanted to see The Brewers advance.

thomas35forever
10-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Amazing run by the Cardinals. Who would have thought we'd see another run similar to the '07 Rockies? Congrats to them.

On another note, I noticed Kotsay stole Gordon's walk-up song.

SOXPHILE
10-16-2011, 11:00 PM
Awesome. This is the next best thing for me outside of the Sox winning the pennant. Congrats Cardinals.

Oh, Mr. "Anthony Plush", congratulations to you too for winning the free dinner of crow. Enjoy it. Looking forward to more insightful tweets from you about "Alberta" and the "cryin birds". Will you have fun "watchin da birds in the da series" now, as "da crew" is is no longer playing in 2011 ?

thomas35forever
10-16-2011, 11:22 PM
Anyone else hear of the Happy Flight thing prior to tonight?

sox1970
10-16-2011, 11:27 PM
Anyone else hear of the Happy Flight thing prior to tonight?

Yeah. They haven't boarded a plane after a loss since August 3rd.

Danielgosox38
10-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Who's laughing now Nyjer Morgan? Yep, the Cardinals sure loved watching the Brewers in the playoffs alright. They loved watching them sulk in their dugout, as the Cards celebrated on their field. :D::bandance: Go Cardinals!

TommyJohn
10-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Awesome. This is the next best thing for me outside of the Sox winning the pennant. Congrats Cardinals.

Oh, Mr. "Anthony Plush", congratulations to you too for winning the free dinner of crow. Enjoy it. Looking forward to more insightful tweets from you about "Alberta" and the "cryin birds". Will you have fun "watchin da birds in the da series" now, as "da crew" is is no longer playing in 2011 ?

I personally would have preferred Tony Plush in the Series over Tony Lush.