PDA

View Full Version : The Rest of Ventura's Staff

SBSoxFan
10-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Wow. I'm as flummoxed as most everyone else about Ventura being hired as the Sox' manager. Now, who is going to fill out his staff? William's stated during the phone-press conference that Ventura had someone very specific in mind for the next hire, and they were going to ask for permission to speak to this person in the next couple of days. So, this person is currently employed by an MLB team. Will it be for Ventura's bench coach, and is that man Sandy Alomar, Jr?

DickAllen72
10-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Wow. I'm as flummoxed as most everyone else about Ventura being hired as the Sox' manager. Now, who is going to fill out his staff? William's stated during the phone-press conference that Ventura had someone very specific in mind for the next hire, and they were going to ask for permission to speak to this person in the next couple of days. So, this person is currently employed by an MLB team. Will it be for Ventura's bench coach, and is that man Sandy Alomar, Jr?
Former KC Manager Tony Pena would be my guess.

SoxSpeed22
10-06-2011, 11:29 PM
Former KC Manager Tony Pena would be my guess.Does he want to leave the Yankees for the same job? If Girardi gets fired, that might change things. I wouldn't mind Art Howe for bench coach (if he wants to).

kevingrt
10-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Does he want to leave the Yankees for the same job? If Girardi gets fired, that might change things. I wouldn't mind Art Howe for bench coach (if he wants to).

You really think Girardi has any chance at getting fired?

SoxSpeed22
10-06-2011, 11:32 PM
You really think Girardi has any chance at getting fired?They probably should not fire him, but it is the Yankees, so you never know.

WhiteSox5187
10-06-2011, 11:40 PM
They probably should not fire him, but it is the Yankees, so you never know.

Would he have any interest in being just a bench coach? I have a hard time seeing him doing that.

SoxSpeed22
10-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Would he have any interest in being just a bench coach? I have a hard time seeing him doing that.I was talking about Tony Pena as bench coach. If Girardi gets fired, I'm sure the Cubs will have the contract ready the next day for him to manage.

Lip Man 1
10-07-2011, 02:16 AM
Robin and the Sox will have to find a bench coach, a 3rd base coach and a hitting coach.

Kenny has also said the hitting coach position is probably going to be filled from the minor league system.

Lip

gobears1987
10-07-2011, 05:59 AM
I want Man Soo Lee back. :redneck

DumpJerry
10-07-2011, 07:08 AM
All of your questions will be answered on Tuesday (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-1007-bits-white-sox-chicago--20111007,0,7831712.story).

TomBradley72
10-07-2011, 07:33 AM
Torborg for bench coach?

wassagstdu
10-07-2011, 07:34 AM
Robin and the Sox will have to find a bench coach, a 3rd base coach and a hitting coach.

Kenny has also said the hitting coach position is probably going to be filled from the minor league system.

I hope they find some place for Joe McEwing.

Chez
10-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Obviously, his bench coach has got to be someone with encyclopedic knowledge of the American League.

akingamongstmen
10-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Obviously, his bench coach has got to be someone with encyclopedic knowledge of the American League.

Couldn't agree more. Sandy Alomar would be perfect in this role if he is willing to accept it. He knows the AL Central very well, which is crucial.

Chez
10-07-2011, 09:25 AM
Couldn't agree more. Sandy Alomar would be perfect in this role if he is willing to accept it. He knows the AL Central very well, which is crucial.

Except he already has the same job (bench coach) in Cleveland!

Harry Chappas
10-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Alomar's next move is probably to skipper. I don't see him making a lateral move, especially to a team that didn't give him a sniff for the head job.

doublem23
10-07-2011, 10:18 AM
I am sure the name appears on this list... somewhere:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/bat.shtml

Milw
10-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Kenny has said they are requesting permission from another team to interview for a bench coach. It's possible that person is a minor league coach, but it seems likely it would be a major league coach, given Ventura's inexperience.

Here's a list of MLB coaches (http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/List_of_current_Major_League_Baseball_coaching_sta ffs). Anyone have a guess?

russ99
10-07-2011, 10:44 AM
I don't see the bench coach being a big deal.

The Sox decided to go with Ventura, so I think they'll get him some help, but won't bring in a guy who either could be the Sox manager or would be on the hook in case the Ventura experiment doesn't work out. That would be hedging bets and not letting Robin take the role where he wants to.

I'm much more interested in who the hitting coach will be. Since our hitters have to a man scuffled the last few years, that is a very important hire.

Milw
10-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Maybe Gene Lamont? Nick Leyva?

Also: Jaime Navarro is the bullpen coach for the Mariners?? Eesh.

EDIT: Just saw Lamont's comments in Rogers' article, so scratch him...

PalehosePlanet
10-07-2011, 10:57 AM

Robin also played for The Yankees and Mets, and might have become tight with players or coaches during those stints. So it might be someone like say....Willie Randolph? (Currently The O's 3B coach.)

sox1970
10-07-2011, 11:17 AM
They were just mentioning Jim Fregosi on the Score. That would be a good bench coach, although I don't think Robin has much connection to him if that's his call.

gr8mexico
10-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Here are my picks
Chris Chambliss
Tim Wallach
Davey Lopes

dickallen15
10-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Maybe Gene Lamont? Nick Leyva?

EDIT: Just saw Lamont's comments in Rogers' article, so scratch him...
I think they would either want Leyva or Fregosi.

CHISOXFAN13
10-07-2011, 12:03 PM
My money is on Don Wakamatsu.

doogiec
10-07-2011, 12:07 PM
I'd bet Rene Lachemann will be Ventura's bench coach.

getonbckthr
10-07-2011, 03:28 PM
My money is on Don Wakamatsu.
That was the 1st name I mentioned yesterday in the main thread...

Tragg
10-07-2011, 03:38 PM

Then we could make Adam Dunn a player/hitting-coach and bring in Jiminez as base-running coach.

Scottiehaswheels
10-07-2011, 03:52 PM
I'm gonna guess Tom Foley.

Also what happened to Allen Thomas, from that link he wasn't brought back. Just curious about some of the people brought back vs. not and why?

IspepAloc
10-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Then we could make Adam Dunn a player/hitting-coach and bring in Jiminez as base-running coach.

The way Dunn hit this year, I don't want him anywhere near coaching other players how to hit.

Zakath
10-07-2011, 04:12 PM
They probably should not fire him, but it is the Yankees, so you never know.

Were George still alive, Girardi would probably be gone.

Hank and Hal aren't their father, so Girardi is safe. Now, ARod OTOH...

wassagstdu
10-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Robin also played for The Yankees and Mets, and might have become tight with players or coaches during those stints. So it might be someone like say....Willie Randolph? (Currently The O's 3B coach.)
Ventura played with Joe McEwing on the Mets in 2000 and 2001. 3B coach?

A. Cavatica
10-07-2011, 08:25 PM
The way Dunn hit this year, I don't want him anywhere near coaching other players how to hit.

I believe Tragg was being ironic.

Navarro (awful pitcher) -> pitching coach
Dunn (awful hitter) -> batting coach
Jimenez (do you see where this is going yet?)

Lip Man 1
10-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Don't speak to soon about anybody on the Yankees:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7071773/2011-alds-new-york-yankees-randy-levine-says-season-failure

Lip

SBSoxFan
10-07-2011, 10:32 PM
All of your questions will be answered on Tuesday (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-1007-bits-white-sox-chicago--20111007,0,7831712.story).

Wouldn't that mean whoever they talked to today (Friday) was a lock? If this person declines, how do you present the entire new staff next Tuesday?

On another note, it seems like the Sox need to tighten some lips (not our Lip) on the ship. KW said the plan was to announce the whole staff at a press conference next Tuesday. However, the reason for the makeshift press conference on Thursday was because the naming of Ventura as manager was leaked.

central44
10-07-2011, 10:36 PM
All I know is, I hope they take the interview process for the next hitting coach VERY seriously. I've seen way too many poor approaches to hitting these past few years.

That's going to be the most interesting part for me. It would be great to see players take walks again. And who knows? Maybe a new hitting coach could help Dunn, who is kind of a big investment they won't be able to get rid of.

Comiskey83
10-08-2011, 12:35 AM
Mark Parent

http://buzztap.com/link.jsp?id=6255360&cid=97&source=feed&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Nelson Foxtrot
10-08-2011, 01:11 AM
Williams saying Ventura has someone specific in mind makes this hard for me to figure out. It's possible that (a) he's basing a decision on the man's reputation around the league, or (b) Williams or somebody else in the organization pitched a candidate and Ventura thought "Wow, that guy sounds like he would make a great addition to the staff." Yet, I think a rookie manager would probably want a bench coach he knows personally and whose advice he trusts.

Wakamatsu and Pena each played with Ventura for less than a full season, so I doubt either left much of an impression on him. He never played with Alomar and has no ties to most of the names mentioned. Does anybody think the coach in question may currently be in an office position or on the staff of a team's minor league affiliate?

Milw
10-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Williams saying Ventura has someone specific in mind makes this hard for me to figure out. It's possible that (a) he's basing a decision on the man's reputation around the league, or (b) Williams or somebody else in the organization pitched a candidate and Ventura thought "Wow, that guy sounds like he would make a great addition to the staff." Yet, I think a rookie manager would probably want a bench coach he knows personally and whose advice he trusts.

Wakamatsu and Pena each played with Ventura for less than a full season, so I doubt either left much of an impression on him. He never played with Alomar and has no ties to most of the names mentioned. Does anybody think the coach in question may currently be in an office position or on the staff of a team's minor league affiliate?
He spent two years with Willie Randolph with the Yankees a decade ago. Randolph has a reputation for working well with young players. That seems like it would be a good fit.

DirtySox
10-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Supposedly Parent will be the bench coach and McEwing the 3B coach.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/7084296/source-mark-parent-joe-mcewing-join-chicago-white-sox-staff

Domeshot17
10-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Very Underwhelming Coaching Staff. I like McEwing, but Parent is just kind meh, and talks of our minor league hitting instructors being promoted, this whole staff might make less than Ozzie did total.

I don't get it. I was fine giving Robin a chance, but why promote a bunch instructors when we do such a poor job with developing guys in the minors.

JohnTucker0814
10-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Very Underwhelming Coaching Staff. I like McEwing, but Parent is just kind meh, and talks of our minor league hitting instructors being promoted, this whole staff might make less than Ozzie did total.

I don't get it. I was fine giving Robin a chance, but why promote a bunch instructors when we do such a poor job with developing guys in the minors.

Some of our guys have done very well in the minors and they haven't translated to the majors.

I think going with some lesser known guys for coaches could be great. Maybe these guys will coach for their lives! They have the hunger to make it because their playing careers weren't that great. Who knows... I'm open to anything that the status quo from this year!

Falstaff
10-16-2011, 01:42 AM
Hitting coach:
as many of you know I have been boosting Frank Thomas for this role for about a year now. If for some reason that does not pan out, it occurs to me the White Sox should consider Jeff Bagwell, since he and Frank have nearly identical career numbers, and were born on the same day. Would be a great outside of org pick up, fresh blood.

hi im skot
10-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Hitting coach:
as many of you know I have been boosting Frank Thomas for this role for about a year now. If for some reason that does not pan out, it occurs to me the White Sox should consider Jeff Bagwell, since he and Frank have nearly identical career numbers, and were born on the same day. Would be a great outside of org pick up, fresh blood.

Perfectly sound reasoning there. I have the same birthday as Paula Abdul, so...

soxinem1
10-16-2011, 01:45 PM

Maybe Terry Forester could be a combined Bullpen/hitting coach.

His .480 BA and 1.020 OPS in 266 games with the White Sox have to mean something!!:D:

Nellie_Fox
10-16-2011, 11:54 PM
Hitting coach:
as many of you know I have been boosting Frank Thomas for this role for about a year now. If for some reason that does not pan out, it occurs to me the White Sox should consider Jeff Bagwell, since he and Frank have nearly identical career numbers, and were born on the same day. Would be a great outside of org pick up, fresh blood.Bagwell had a very unorthodox approach to hitting.

Daver
10-17-2011, 12:01 AM
Bagwell had a very unorthodox approach to hitting.

I can think of exactly one player on the current roster that has the discipline to embrace what Frank can teach him, and he doesn't really need any help in hitting a baseball.

Frank can't teach a tremendous batting eye, and that was a big reason behind his success, and it lent itself perfectly into Hriniak's absolute discipline approach to batting.

kufram
10-17-2011, 01:08 AM
I think it would be wise to get a hitting coach who has at least coached one or two hitters before.

Mohoney
10-17-2011, 04:12 AM
Hitting coach:

Jeff Bagwell took steroids. Frank Thomas didn't.

October26
10-17-2011, 06:37 AM
I think it would be wise to get a hitting coach who has at least coached one or two hitters before.

I agree with you and am wondering why it is taking the Sox so long to make a decision? Not that we're in any hurry or anything but last I heard/read, it was all minor league internal candidates so why the delay? Hopefully, it is because the Sox are considering someone wth major league experience.

eriqjaffe
10-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Perfectly sound reasoning there. I have the same birthday as Paula Abdul, so...I have the same birthday as Carl Everett, where's my 2005 ring?

Rocky Soprano
10-17-2011, 09:18 AM
I have the same birthday as Carl Everett, where's my 2005 ring?

What is your take on dinosaurs?

russ99
10-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Jeff Bagwell took steroids. Frank Thomas didn't.

There is zero proof of that assumption.

Also, Bagwell was the hitting coach of the Astros for 2+ months in 2010 and resigned to spend time with his family, so I'm not sure he'd come back for a different organization.

eriqjaffe
10-17-2011, 03:45 PM
What is your take on dinosaurs?I belive the correct answer to that would be, "What dinosaurs?"

Nellie_Fox
10-17-2011, 04:16 PM
What is your take on dinosaurs?

I belive the correct answer to that would be, "What dinosaurs?"
Never gets old.

AZChiSoxFan
10-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Some of our guys have done very well in the minors and they haven't translated to the majors.

I think going with some lesser known guys for coaches could be great. Maybe these guys will coach for their lives! They have the hunger to make it because their playing careers weren't that great. Who knows... I'm open to anything that the status quo from this year!

If you threw me off the top of the Sears....errrrrr.....Willis Tower, maybe I would learn to fly for my life. The more likely scenario is.....well, you get the picture.

TheVulture
10-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Frank can't teach a tremendous batting eye, and that was a big reason behind his success, and it lent itself perfectly into Hriniak's absolute discipline approach to batting.

Another reason was Frank's ability to make adjustments throughout his career and adopt different approaches at the plate, not just an ability but a mindset and approach that would lend itself to batting coaching I would think.

salty99
10-18-2011, 10:15 AM
A new rumor to throw out there is Thome as hitting coach.

CPditka
10-18-2011, 04:46 PM
A new rumor to throw out there is Thome as hitting coach.

Any truth to this? Id like to see him be a roaming instructer first, only b/c the rest of our staff is so inexperienced. But Id love to have him back in the fold.

Foulke You
10-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Any truth to this? Id like to see him be a roaming instructer first, only b/c the rest of our staff is so inexperienced. But Id love to have him back in the fold.
Sun Times mentioned Thome as a possibility today:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/8271354-419/jim-thome-could-join-mark-parent-on-white-sox-coaching-staff.html

eriqjaffe
10-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Sun Times mentioned Thome as a possibility today:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/8271354-419/jim-thome-could-join-mark-parent-on-white-sox-coaching-staff.htmlWell that proves it's not going to happen.

palehosepub
10-19-2011, 01:02 PM
I dont think Thome's "big swing approach" is what we need for many of our hitters including guys like Alexi and Beckham. I understand he is a future HOF but I am concerned that he would not have the ability to teach situational hitting and bunting, for example.

hoosiersoxfan
10-19-2011, 02:39 PM
I dont think Thome's "big swing approach" is what we need for many of our hitters including guys like Alexi and Beckham. I understand he is a future HOF but I am concerned that he would not have the ability to teach situational hitting and bunting, for example.

I think big swing hitters can translate to success as hitting coaches. Look at that cardinals lineup and what McGwire has done with it. Yes he's got stars like Pujols and Holliday, but Berkman had a great comeback year and guys like Freese and John Jay have hit well also. I'm sure some of the credit has to go to McGwire for them being the best offense in the NL this year.

Personally I'm not sure that Thome is the man for the job but I wouldn't be opposed just because he was a power hitter.

Tragg
10-19-2011, 10:06 PM
I think big swing hitters can translate to success as hitting coaches. Look at that cardinals lineup and what McGwire has done with it. Yes he's got stars like Pujols and Holliday, but Berkman had a great comeback year and guys like Freese and John Jay have hit well also. I'm sure some of the credit has to go to McGwire for them being the best offense in the NL this year.

Personally I'm not sure that Thome is the man for the job but I wouldn't be opposed just because he was a power hitter.

Thome also had patience as a hitter...lord knows our hitters could use some of that.

central44
10-22-2011, 08:31 PM
The way Thome prepared for every game was phenomenal. I'd love to see him on the team in some capacity just because of his clubhouse presence and leadership qualities.

However, the idea of him as hitting coach is...strange.

bestkosher
10-24-2011, 03:45 PM
I personally want Julio Franco to be our Hitting coach. Just picture a whole team with his batting stance. Seriously though the guy was a good consistent hitter, something our team definitly needs more of.

Lip Man 1
10-24-2011, 04:18 PM
According to ESPN.com Thome said he'll make himself available to play in 2012 if any team is interested.

Lip

russ99
10-25-2011, 01:46 PM
According to ESPN.com Thome said he'll make himself available to play in 2012 if any team is interested.

Lip

Nice quote from the Big Hurt in the Times today - he's interested in the hitting coach position...

Get it done, Kenny.

SoxSpeed22
10-25-2011, 02:16 PM
I think our overall approach towards hitting needs an overhaul. Too many swings early in the count, especially after walks. Not enough plate coverage or swing shortening with 2 strikes.

Dibbs
10-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Nice quote from the Big Hurt in the Times today - he's interested in the hitting coach position...

Get it done, Kenny.

I would love to see Frank in uniform every day. I think he could teach our guys plenty. The sad thing is, he would still most likely be our second most dangerous hitter behind Konerko, assuming Quentin gets traded.

Chez
10-25-2011, 03:01 PM

Lip

He belongs to the same health club that I belong to. He's been working out regularly for the past two weeks.

DickAllen72
10-25-2011, 03:51 PM

Get it done, Kenny.
It's just Cowley trying to stir **** up again.

Falstaff
10-25-2011, 11:58 PM
Another reason was Frank's ability to make adjustments throughout his career and adopt different approaches at the plate, not just an ability but a mindset and approach that would lend itself to batting coaching I would think.

YES!:dtroll:That is precisely the observation I make. Throughout Frank Thomas long HOF caliber career he became a student of hitting. He in fact made adjustments in his approach to counteract what pitchers thought they knew about Frank. Also to compensate for changing abilities/speed. Hit for average? Yes. Hit for power? Yup. Hit lots of doubles? You bet. Lots of walks? Uh-huh. RBI/RISP? YES. Do it all in one season? Several times. Come back from injury/subpar year to have dangerous presence and numbers? Been there done that too.

And you know what? That icon of White Sox baseball, best hitter ever....
He accepted guidance and coaching throughout that run. Must have learned something about how to work with big ego issues, must have absorbed a little something about what an effective hitting coach does.

The numbers and the career speak for themselves. The Sox could do a heck a lot worse than inviting Frank Thomas into that role. But if not,
Jeff Bagwell has similar numbers and a little MLB hittin coach exprience.
AND same birthday as Frank.

DrCrawdad
10-26-2011, 12:04 AM

Lip

Jim Thome, loved you when you were here. So long as Adam Dunn is on the Sox there is no place for you on the Sox roster. Sorry.

Daver
10-26-2011, 12:11 AM
And you know what? That icon of White Sox baseball, best hitter ever....
He accepted guidance and coaching throughout that run.

Actually, no he didn't. He refused to work with any of the hitting coaches that followed Hriniak, and paid Walt out of his own pocket when he was struggling to the point that he felt he needed guidance. The fact that he had the most astonishing plate discipline I have ever personally seen had a lot to do with his success, he could adjust to where the pitcher was pitching him out of the strikezone, and use it to his advantage.

kufram
10-26-2011, 08:19 AM
I'd like to see a list of great hitters that became successful hitting coaches.

sox1970
10-26-2011, 11:45 AM
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/26/marcel-lachemann-resigns-from-rockies-after-12-seasons/

Ventura coached high school with Lachemann's son. Now wouldn't this guy make more sense than Mark Parent? I'm sure Parent is a legit managerial candidate someday, but a seasoned bench coach who has managed before might make more sense.

shes
10-26-2011, 02:08 PM
He belongs to the same health club that I belong to. He's been working out regularly for the past two weeks.

I think you just confirmed a suspicion of mine! I had a guest pass to a certain swanky athletic club in DuPage and thought I saw Thome but convinced myself it wasn't him. I know he used to live in the area when he played for the Sox -- guess he still does.

asindc
10-26-2011, 02:56 PM
It's just Cowley trying to stir **** up again.

Exactly. As if Cowley even knows if the Sox have not called Frank.

doublem23
10-26-2011, 03:18 PM
I think you just confirmed a suspicion of mine! I had a guest pass to a certain swanky athletic club in DuPage and thought I saw Thome but convinced myself it wasn't him. I know he used to live in the area when he played for the Sox -- guess he still does.

Thome's permanent home is in Hinsdale, I believe.

Chez
10-26-2011, 03:48 PM

My club is far from swanky! It is in DuPage County -- and Thome still resides in Hinsdale.

shes
10-27-2011, 12:11 AM
My club is far from swanky! It is in DuPage County -- and Thome still resides in a Hinsdale.

The plot thickens! :D:

Perhaps Thome is making the rounds of Southwest suburb health clubs. :tongue:

DirtySox
10-31-2011, 10:04 AM
ChrisDeLuca Chris De Luca
#WhiteSox White Sox have named Jeff Manto as the club’s hitting coach, Joe McEwing as third base coach and Mark Parent as bench coach.
1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

soltrain21
10-31-2011, 10:30 AM
It appears Manto's claim to fame as a hitting coach is when he was the hitting coach with the Pirates and predicted that Jose Batista, one day, would be very good.

"If we can get him to replicate his swing three days in a row, Jose Bautista could hit 25 homers a year. In fact, I think he could hit 40. He is just so easily frustrated when it doesn’t go right that he blames himself and forgets what he’s learned. Or ignores it. But of all these guys I have, if you want one of them who will eventually do something special in this game, I’d pick him. I wouldn’t be very surprised."

voodoochile
10-31-2011, 10:39 AM
Linkie:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-sox-announce-hirings-of-mcewing-manto-and-parent-as-coaches-20111031,0,7572561.story

doublem23
10-31-2011, 10:52 AM
It appears Manto's claim to fame as a hitting coach is when he was the hitting coach with the Pirates and predicted that Jose Batista, one day, would be very good.

Stark contrast to Greg Walker who, when he first saw Gordon Beckham remarked, "I'm going to ****ing ruin this kid."

SoxSpeed22
10-31-2011, 11:11 AM
These seem like 'meh' hires.

LITTLE NELL
10-31-2011, 11:14 AM
Stark contrast to Greg Walker who, when he first saw Gordon Beckham remarked, "I'm going to ****ing ruin this kid."
:rolling::rolling:

KMcMahon817
10-31-2011, 12:03 PM
These seem like 'meh' hires.

Let's give them a shot. It is new blood and the SOX badly need some new blood.

thomas35forever
10-31-2011, 12:05 PM
A new (hopefully better) style of play is coming to the South Side for sure.

SoxSpeed22
10-31-2011, 12:59 PM
Let's give them a shot. It is new blood and the SOX badly need some new blood.I don't mind McEwing as the third base coach and I like that there's new blood. They went within the organization for these hires (except Parent), so that's why I feel these were meh hires.

Over By There
10-31-2011, 01:34 PM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1432471711/cws_lg_normal.jpg@whitesox Jeff Manto: If you look at the staff makeup, we're all the same type of players. We're all grinders.

Wheeeeeeee! :cool:

GlassSox
10-31-2011, 02:08 PM
let's give them a shot. It is new blood and the sox badly need some new blood.

+1

Nellie_Fox
10-31-2011, 04:06 PM
I'm fully expecting several very mediocre to below-average years coming up.

kaufsox
10-31-2011, 04:09 PM
I am about as excited as I can be about the hiring of a coaching staff, which is to say, not very much.

SoxSpeed22
10-31-2011, 05:22 PM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1432471711/cws_lg_normal.jpg@whitesox Jeff Manto: If you look at the staff makeup, we're all the same type of players. We're all grinders.

Wheeeeeeee! :cool:Huzzah

Foulke You
10-31-2011, 05:52 PM
:)

soxfanreggie
10-31-2011, 07:00 PM
Let's give them a shot. It is new blood and the SOX badly need some new blood.

You're right. We're not going to go and fire the whole staff right away, so barring a horrible first few months, these are out guys. I'm willing to give them a shot. We can't really afford not to.

Brian26
10-31-2011, 09:04 PM

You're posting this in the "Ventura's Staff" thread, so I might presume you're basing this, at least partially, on the three new hires. I'm not enthusiastic about the core of the team right now, especially with Buehrle leaving. I'm nervous about Ventura. However, the one thing I'm excited about are the three new coaches. I think replacing Cox, Cora and Walker is going to be nothing but a great positive influence on the team. McEwing, in particular, is going to be fantastic.

Nellie_Fox
11-01-2011, 12:26 AM
You're posting this in the "Ventura's Staff" thread, so I might presume you're basing this, at least partially, on the three new hires. I'm not enthusiastic about the core of the team right now, especially with Buehrle leaving. I'm nervous about Ventura. However, the one thing I'm excited about are the three new coaches. I think replacing Cox, Cora and Walker is going to be nothing but a great positive influence on the team. McEwing, in particular, is going to be fantastic.No, I know nothing about the new coaches. I just don't think they're going to matter.

DrCrawdad
11-01-2011, 06:40 AM
Pardon me if this has already been addressed, but what is Jeff Cox doing? Has Guillen hired a 3rd base coach and if not will he bring Cox on board? What about Joey Cora, was he hired by the Marlins?

russ99
11-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Pardon me if this has already been addressed, but what is Jeff Cox doing? Has Guillen hired a 3rd base coach and if not will he bring Cox on board? What about Joey Cora, was he hired by the Marlins?

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110930&content_id=25401350&vkey=news_fla&c_id=fla

As far as I've heard, Cora is the only former Sox staff member going to Miami.

russ99
11-01-2011, 08:41 AM
I'm not a fan of the Manto hire.

He was the hitting coach for the 2006 and 2007 Pirates, finishing last in the NL in 2007 and 2nd last in 2006, and both teams hit .263, both in the bottom third of the league.

I was hoping for someone with a better track record, especially considering overall hitting is our biggest weakness.

doublem23
11-01-2011, 08:57 AM

He was the hitting coach for the 2006 and 2007 Pirates, finishing last in the NL in 2007 and 2nd last in 2006, and both teams hit .263, both in the bottom third of the league.

I was hoping for someone with a better track record, especially considering overall hitting is our biggest weakness.

God himself could have been the hitting coach for the 2006-2007 Pirates and he likely wouldn't have done much more with those sad collections of talent.

Lamp81
11-01-2011, 11:07 PM

Greg Walker won a World Series as a hitting caoch, and most WSI members, including myself, couldn't wait to see him replaced.

I start off with giving Manto all my support. Just better see some results, as hitting coach is the most replaceable of all coaches.

cards press box
11-01-2011, 11:47 PM

I know that this is the minority view but I expect the Sox to do well in the next few years. The Sox played too tight in 2010 and 2011. Under Ventura, the atmosphere should be more relaxed and yet more focused.

I think we're in for a pleasant surprise in 2012.

SoxSpeed22
11-02-2011, 12:23 AM
I know that this is the minority view but I expect the Sox to do well in the next few years. The Sox played too tight in 2010 and 2011. Under Ventura, the atmosphere should be more relaxed and yet more focused.

I think we're in for a pleasant surprise in 2012.I could see that point, with all the drama going on last year, you would have to think the players felt some of the effect from that. While I hope you're right, I also could see Ventura being in over his head and the clubhouse being a free for all. So I have no idea what to expect.

Nellie_Fox
11-02-2011, 12:36 AM

I think we're in for a pleasant surprise in 2012.I believe that the Ventura hire is a concession by management to the knowledge that the Sox are not going to be good for several years. They are counting on Robin's status as a fan favorite to buy them time, because they think the fans will be more patient with Robin at the helm (hey, give him some time!) than they would with someone they don't like as much.

voodoochile
11-02-2011, 01:54 AM
I could see that point, with all the drama going on last year, you would have to think the players felt some of the effect from that. While I hope you're right, I also could see Ventura being in over his head and the clubhouse being a free for all. So I have no idea what to expect.

Well if things get that bad then the players are to blame anyway. They are supposed to be professionals. If they not only tune out Robin and then give a half-assed effort then they are far more to blame then KW, JR or even OG.

I believe that the Ventura hire is a concession by management to the knowledge that the Sox are not going to be good for several years. They are counting on Robin's status as a fan favorite to buy them time, because they think the fans will be more patient with Robin at the helm (hey, give him some time!) than they would with someone they don't like as much.

I agree with this point. I think Robin is intended to be the Anti-Ozzie. A fan favorite who won't trip over his tongue three times a week. I also don't think that precludes him from being a bad manager. I'm intrigued by the staff as they appear to be baseball coaching lifers, people who have been and will be doing it in some capacity for a long time. Can they get results? I don't know, but because they are new to the ML level of coaching doesn't preclude them from being successful and I do think Robin's experience as a player will carry weight with the players themselves. In the end it's much more going to come down to whether Rios, Dunn and Peavy can return to something like career averages and whether Sale can be successful in the 5 hole than what the coaches do anyway. If those things happen then the Sox are going to challenge for the division crown. If not it won't matter who the manager is sitting on the bench...

DirtySox
11-03-2011, 12:35 AM
No idea if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but McEwing is interviewing for the Cardinals managerial opening.

AZChiSoxFan
11-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Absolutely classic. When Ventura was hired, the unanimous consensus was that it COULD be a good hire, if he hired a solid bench coach, to make up for RV's lack of managerial experience. Instead of doing that, the Sox hire 3 coaches who have a combined 2 years experience coaching in the bigs (if you count two years with the Pirates as coaching in the majors). Seriously?!? Wow. Thanks Jerry. Will this be the worst coaching staff in all of MLB in 2012? Combined with the fact that the Sox have no prospects on the farm and several bad contracts on the big club, I'm really excited about White Sox baseball for the forseeable future. :angry:

russ99
11-03-2011, 06:20 PM
I'm not going to assume Robin is going to be a bad manager. He could be pretty good, we'll have to see. The fact that a different approach/mentality may be used with our hitters by Manto leads to at least a little optimism. I would have preferred a more experienced hitting coach, but at least he's not Walker.

But bottom-line this team will be only as good as the level of talent on the roster.

I hope that most of the team is brought back, but reality could be quite different. To add to the feeling of roster-gloom is the potential for the Sox to lose/trade away hard working players like Buehrle, Danks/Floyd, Quentin Thornton and/or even Ramirez to in order to afford untradeable dead-weights Dunn, Rios and Peavy on the payroll...

hi im skot
11-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Absolutely classic. When Ventura was hired, the unanimous consensus was that it COULD be a good hire, if he hired a solid bench coach, to make up for RV's lack of managerial experience. Instead of doing that, the Sox hire 3 coaches who have a combined 2 years experience coaching in the bigs (if you count two years with the Pirates as coaching in the majors). Seriously?!? Wow. Thanks Jerry. Will this be the worst coaching staff in all of MLB in 2012? Combined with the fact that the Sox have no prospects on the farm and several bad contracts on the big club, I'm really excited about White Sox baseball for the forseeable future. :angry:

wlq0lYB3iSM

Get a grip.

TDog
11-03-2011, 10:54 PM
... I think Robin is intended to be the Anti-Ozzie. A fan favorite who won't trip over his tongue three times a week. I also don't think that precludes him from being a bad manager. I'm intrigued by the staff as they appear to be baseball coaching lifers, people who have been and will be doing it in some capacity for a long time. Can they get results? I don't know, but because they are new to the ML level of coaching doesn't preclude them from being successful and I do think Robin's experience as a player will carry weight with the players themselves. In the end it's much more going to come down to whether Rios, Dunn and Peavy can return to something like career averages and whether Sale can be successful in the 5 hole than what the coaches do anyway. If those things happen then the Sox are going to challenge for the division crown. If not it won't matter who the manager is sitting on the bench...

The funny thing is, Guillen was the anti-Jerry Manuel. White Sox fans whined about needing a manager who wasn't concerned with being nice to the media and politically correct. Guillen was certainly a better manager than Manuel. But if you're not winning the World Series, you are going to be unpopular with White Sox fans regardless of how well you manage. What is unique about this White Sox manager, at least for the 21st century, is that this one didn't just win a ring as a coach for a World Series champion Marlins team. Guillen is returning to the Marlins, so maybe there will be some circularity to close out this cycle in White Sox history.

I didn't have any problem with Guillen. I didn't have any problem with his abrasiveness with the media. I never believe it is necessary for anyone to keep their mouths shut because I don't like what they say. I didn't believe the moves Guillen made would have been so different from moves any other manager would have made. Ultimately, the Sox didn't win as many games as they should have this year, but that had much more to do with the personnel than the managing or coaching. For the White Sox, 2011 was a perfect storm, made possible by a few bad off-season player personnel moves. I don't know if any other manager would have prevented losses to the Tigers enabled by two ninth-inning pinch-hit home runs.

Ultimately it is about the players. Dunn is going to have to adjust his approach to hitting. Rios is going to have to care about baseball. It would help if Buehrle re-signs. It's doubtful that the Tigers will have another magical season.

I like Robin Ventura. I was on his team in a fantasy camp one year, and I found him to be a great baseball guy. I wish him luck. I don't have any idea what kind of a manager he is going to be, but I trust he won't bat out of turn as Jim Frey did with the Cubs the year after he was named NL Manager of the Year. Sometimes experience is overrated.

I will especially miss Cox. And I'll miss Walker, who didn't deserve the blame for the offensive problems. I'm sure Konerko will miss Walker more than I will. And I'll miss Guillen. But I'm hoping the Sox do far better under Ventura than they did under Guillen the last couple of years.

TheVulture
11-03-2011, 11:50 PM
God himself could have been the hitting coach for the 2006-2007 Pirates and he likely wouldn't have done much more with those sad collections of talent.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/subgenius88/life-of-brian-blasphemy.jpg

Blasphemer!!

Harry Chappas
11-07-2011, 04:50 PM

I really hate to agree with you, but I do. It's one thing to have a manager getting on-the-job training, but it appears that his coaching staff - excluding Cooper - will also be baptized by fire.

Personally, I think Jerry and Kenny are overestimating the Sox fans' compassion for an inexperienced manager. I think it's safe to say that all of us fans like Ventura and hope like hell that he succeeds, but I don't think he's going to get a free pass if we stink to high heaven even next year much less 3 years from now.

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm somewhat envious of our brethren to the north who now have a front office that will put more money and emphasis on overhauling their farm system and player development and they'll have a deep-pocketed owner who will support them in this endeavor.

Lip Man 1
11-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Harry:

Unfortunately for the Cubs, the "deep pocketed" owner is leveraged to the hilt because he grossly overpaid for the franchise and stadium in the first place.

Lip

Brian26
11-07-2011, 07:04 PM
The funny thing is, Guillen was the anti-Jerry Manuel. White Sox fans whined about needing a manager who wasn't concerned with being nice to the media and politically correct.

White Sox fans whined that they wanted a manager that could motivate his team and keep them from wilting under pressure against the Twins. Recall, this was fresh off the September 2003 meltdown in the Metrodome. At that time, Manuel's relationship with the media was just fine, and nobody had a clue that Ozzie would be such a media disaster. Honestly, the issue wasn't even on the radar. It was more about a manager that could keep the mental mindset of the White Sox focused behind closed doors. Ozzie seemed to accomplish that goal for a couple of years, at least.

Brian26
11-07-2011, 07:07 PM
No idea if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but McEwing is interviewing for the Cardinals managerial opening.

This could be a situation where the Sox would have been better off with McEwing as mgr, Parent as 3rd base coach and Ventura as bench coach.

DirtySox
11-07-2011, 08:27 PM
This could be a situation where the Sox would have been better off with McEwing as mgr, Parent as 3rd base coach and Ventura as bench coach.

I wouldn't have been opposed to that at all.

Tragg
11-08-2011, 04:58 PM
but I don't think he's going to get a free pass if we stink to high heaven even next year much less 3 years from now.

Because of the starting rotation, esp without MB, I think we're likely to stink to high heaven regardless of the manager.

Nellie_Fox
11-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Because of the starting rotation, esp without MB, I think we're likely to stink to high heaven regardless of the manager.Which is why I believe they brought in Ventura, expecting the fans to be more patient with a fan favorite at the helm.

Tragg
11-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Which is why I believe they brought in Ventura, expecting the fans to be more patient with a fan favorite at the helm.

I don't think fans will be patient; their ire will turn to Williams, the man who acquired the big 3 that preclude us from re-signing MB.

Harry Chappas
11-10-2011, 11:41 AM

There is almost no situation, given those pieces, that you would be incorrect. It would have been the logical hierarchy. But I think Williams is gambling on a stay of execution granted Robin that wouldn't be afforded to a more qualified, less beloved, manager.

IF this thing goes sour, I really hope it's Williams on the chopping block and not Robin.

Nellie_Fox
11-10-2011, 01:24 PM
IF this thing goes sour, I really hope it's Williams on the chopping block and not Robin.Well, you know what they say about hoping in one hand and pooping in the other and see which one fills up first. It's my sense that KW will never be fired.

Daver
11-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Well, you know what they say about hoping in one hand and pooping in the other and see which one fills up first. It's my sense that KW will never be fired.

You're probably right.

DirtySox
11-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Matheny hired by Cards. McEwing stays with the Sox.

KMcMahon817
11-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Matheny hired by Cards. McEwing stays with the Sox.

Good news.