PDA

View Full Version : Teammates Reactions To Robin Being Named Manager

Lip Man 1
10-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Have been on the phone since the news broke with Robin. Have been speaking with his former teammates and such to see what he’s like, what he brings to the table and things like that.
Here’s what they had to say.

Ron Kittle – (Had not heard that Robin was hired when I called him.) “It’s going to be 50 thousand times quieter in that clubhouse that’s for sure.”
(I asked him if not having any managing experience is going to be an issue) “If you’ve got a good team around you, you can do the job even if you haven’t managed. You let the good horses (players) do the work, and pull the wagon and you just steer it.”

Scott Fletcher – (Coaching in the Arizona instructional league for the Rockies, just finished a game) “I think Robin will do a great job. He’s a good baseball man, understands the game, he’s even keeled.”
(I asked him about not having managed before if that would be a problem) “I don’t think so. Robin played every day, he was an infielder and in a lot of ways he was managing. When you play the infield you always have to think about the next move, what could happen so he knows situations and he understands players having been a very good one himself. I think he’ll be fine. ”

Tom Paciorek – (Had not heard about Robin being named manager when I called him and is recovering from hip replacement surgery.) “Wow…(long pause) I’m in shock but you know, why not? Really…why not? I think it’s a great move by the Sox. Robin was absolutely one of my favorite players to be around and I’m happy he’s getting the chance. “

(Asked what he brings to the job) “Robin could have played in any era, with Babe Ruth, with Willie Mays…any era. He’s very intelligent and has a quick sharp mind for the game. Of course the fans loved him. “

(Asked about not having managed before, will that be a problem) “I think the experience factor is overrated. I’ve been around a lot of managers and yes they can win or lose a few games for you but it’s the work they do before the game and after it that is more important in the long run. Robin will be fine.”

Billy Pierce - "I was very surprised because all we had been hearing about was Alomar and Martinez. The most important thing for Robin right now is to get himself a good bench coach. They do more than just sit there, they can be a big help to him."

(Asked about what Robin has going for him) "The biggest thing I think is that the fans loved him. The fans will be for him and will give him time and if the Sox have a decent team next year, and I think they will, he'll do allright."

Jeff Torborg - "Robin is a very unique individual. He's steady, has a good personality, knows the game and played it properly. He's very bright and is a quick learner and he's experienced the up's and down's of the game so he can relate to the players."

(About the lack of experience) "It's important that he hire a good bench coach to help him along but he'll be well prepared and the players will believe in him because he's sincere. Robin never cared for showmanship, phoneyness or not giving a good effort."

(Asked about a Robin Ventura story) "Well I had him early in his career and remember he had that stretch where he went like 0-40, or 0-41. We were in Kansas City and he hit a shot right at somebody. I was standing in the corner of the dugout and as he came back I said something like, 'I know your going to get at least one more hit before you call it a career' and he threw his helmet at me! I had to laugh about the whole thing. Robin has that quiet intensity. He reminds me a lot of Don Mattingly in how he played the game and what he expects. Just a hard worker, quiet with great preparation."

Lip

ZombieRob
10-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Do you think they would saying anything other then biased comments? :smile:

bridgeportcopper
10-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Nicely done Lip, and I'll echo these men and what I said in the Robin thread....He is going to be as good as Adam Dunn & Alex Rios allow him to be. If Adam hits .270 with 40 HR's next year and Rios bats .300 with 25 you can pencil robin in for AL Manager of the Year. If they flounder gain, not Joe Torre, Tony LaRussa, Mike Sciosia or Ozzie Guillen are gonna win with that dead weight!

GoGoCrede
10-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Love it, I can just imagine their mouths dropping open at the news, just like ours did. Lots of respect for Robin all around. I'm very excited.

voodoochile
10-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Wow, Lip. It's stuff like this that makes this site such a cool one to visit. Great job.

soltrain21
10-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Wimpy's comments strike me as the most "right on."

Noneck
10-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Lip,

Can you give Nolan Ryan a ring?

Lip Man 1
10-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Zombie:

Since when have you known Kitty not to speak his mind? Or Paciorek for that matter when he's not on the air??

I think you are selling these guys short.

Voodoo: Can you correct my thread title. Accidentally misspelled "teammates". Thanks...

Lip

tstrike2000
10-06-2011, 06:49 PM
I'm sure Donn Pall will give Robin his blessing.

Lip Man 1
10-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Noneck:

Give me his number, I'll get on the phone with him. :D:

Seriously I think Ryan respected Ventura for what he did. Things had been building between the two teams since 1990 (read the interview with Jeff Torborg) and Nolan was brushing back Sox hitters, that's the way he played and to a guy like that I think he respected the fact that Robin did what he felt he had to do himself and not let someone else do it. To say nothing of the fact that he was standing up for his teammates.

Lip

sox1970
10-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Lip,

:rolleyes:

Enough.

soltrain21
10-06-2011, 06:54 PM
:rolleyes:

Enough.

No ****. That joke was old five minutes in.

GoGoCrede
10-06-2011, 06:54 PM
No ****. That joke was old five minutes in.

And I think Lip's married, anyway.

Noneck
10-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Noneck:

Give me his number, I'll get on the phone with him. :D:

Seriously I think Ryan respected Ventura for what he did. Things had been building between the two teams since 1990 (read the interview with Jeff Torborg) and Nolan was brushing back Sox hitters, that's the way he played and to a guy like that I think he respected the fact that Robin did what he felt he had to do himself and not let someone else do it. To say nothing of the fact that he was standing up for his teammates.

Lip

I agree that Ryan seems like that sort of guy, I just never read about any type of reconciliation between the two. Maybe now more will come out next year when Sox play texas. Oh and Thanks for the scoops, the more you get the more I like.

Lip Man 1
10-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Have added Billy Pierce's comments to the first post.

Lip

MtGrnwdSoxFan
10-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Great work, Lip. Awesome quotes.

GoGoCrede
10-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Have added Billy Pierce's comments to the first post.

Lip

I adore Billy, so happy to hear from him.

GlassSox
10-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Great work Lip, thanks.

#1swisher
10-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Yes, thanks Lip...good stuff.

A. Cavatica
10-06-2011, 08:17 PM
I wish Torborg were healthy enough to be his bench coach. He would be perfect.

Tragg
10-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Billy Pierce - "I was very surprised because all we had been hearing about was Alomar and Martinez. The most important thing for Robin right now is to get himself a good bench coach. They do more than just sit there, they can be a big help to him."

Lip
I would think that the bench coach would be critical here.

slavko
10-06-2011, 08:51 PM
I can't help thinking that Vinny had Del Harris and Bernie Bickerstaff, two retreads with vast head coaching experience on his staff and banished the coaching genius who was already on the staff, Ron Adams, to the front office. So Ron went off to OKC and was the top assistant for Coach of the Year Scott Brooks.

What I'm trying to say (and taking too long) is that some old manager may not be the best choice for bench coach. Find someone who's a baseball genius, even if they don't have experience managing. Someone like AJ Pierzynski.

Frater Perdurabo
10-06-2011, 08:58 PM
What I'm trying to say (and taking too long) is that some old manager may not be the best choice for bench coach. Find someone who's a baseball genius, even if they don't have experience managing. Someone like AJ Pierzynski.

How about Omar Vizquel?

Tragg
10-06-2011, 09:20 PM
How about Omar Vizquel?

No. He's just an old player.
I agree that we don't need a retread manager in that spot either (like Bell).

For another thing, we need someone (more than one) from another organization to breath some fresh air into the joint.

Sargeant79
10-06-2011, 09:23 PM

Agreed. That was one of my first thoughts as well when I first heard about the hire.

DumpJerry
10-06-2011, 09:36 PM
I'm thinking Terry Francona would be a good Bench Coach.

thomas35forever
10-06-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm thinking Terry Francona would be a good Bench Coach.
Me too, but if they need permission to speak to the new guy, he's probably not who Ventura has in mind.

cheezheadsoxfan
10-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Love it, I can just imagine their mouths dropping open at the news, just like ours did. Lots of respect for Robin all around. I'm very excited.
Same here. Most excited I've been in awhile. And by the way, love your signature.

DumpJerry
10-06-2011, 09:54 PM
We'll know on Tuesday (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-1007-bits-white-sox-chicago--20111007,0,7831712.story) who the staff will be. Salas and Nieves are still in the Bullpen.

dickallen15
10-06-2011, 10:04 PM
The Sox are going to try to bring in a guy coaching with another team. They supposedly are asking permission tomorrow, so I'm assuming that means they probably won't be asking playoff teams. Looking through the staffs, I think Nick Leyva is the guy they are considering. I'm probably wrong, but he does have White Sox ties and was a major league and minor league manager.

spawn
10-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Lip,

Weak. SO very weak.

voodoochile
10-06-2011, 10:33 PM

Stop the presses, Tragg and I completely agree on something...:tongue:

Noneck
10-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Weak. SO very weak.

It wasnt directed to you and I already got the response to whom it was directed to.

DickAllen72
10-06-2011, 10:39 PM
I think it will be Tony Pena.

(No, not the pitcher)

voodoochile
10-06-2011, 10:45 PM
It wasnt directed to you and I already got the response to whom it was directed to.

If you don't want people to comment on your posts, next time send a private message instead...

Lip Man 1
10-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Have added Jeff Torborg's comments to the first original post.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
10-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Thanks Lip. I'm totally befuddled by this move, but what the hell do I know?

October26
10-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Thanks Lip. I'm totally befuddled by this move, but what the hell do I know?

These are my thoughts as well. I'm a White Sox fan no matter what, so here's hoping for the best. Welcome back and good luck, Robin!

Oh and thanks Lip for the great insights/quotes from Robin's teammates. WSI is fantastic!

TheOldRoman
10-07-2011, 09:13 AM
No. He's just an old player.
I agree that we don't need a retread manager in that spot either (like Bell).

For another thing, we need someone (more than one) from another organization to breath some fresh air into the joint.I will say this about Robin - he obviously has ties to the organization, but not having coached for the Sox at any level before, he isn't indoctrinated with whatever perceived flaws all Sox coaches have had. He is more or less a fresh start in those terms. I am also happy they are attempting to bring in a good bench coach. Don Zimmer? - half teal

soxgirl617
10-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Just wanted to add my thanks, Lip. This was the most interesting information I've read since Robin's hire was announced yesterday. Thanks.

CHISOXFAN13
10-07-2011, 09:22 AM
My guess is Don Wakamatsu. He has managerial experience and played with Robin here.

He has the same job in Toronto.

soxinem1
10-08-2011, 09:06 PM
I agree that Ryan seems like that sort of guy, I just never read about any type of reconciliation between the two. Maybe now more will come out next year when Sox play texas.

Maybe Robin will challenge him to a rematch.:smile:

My guess is Don Wakamatsu. He has managerial experience and played with Robin here. He has the same job in Toronto.

He played with Ventura here for about four weeks, then Don was out of the organization the next season.

SoxandtheCityTee
10-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Lip, very interesting and much appreciated. Must have been fun to be the one who broke the news to the unsuspecting -- they sound as surprised as we all were! :D:

mrwag
10-08-2011, 10:16 PM
I wish Torborg were healthy enough to be his bench coach. He would be perfect.

What's wrong with Torborgs health?

Lip Man 1
10-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Jeff turns 70 soon and has been diagnosed with the initial stages of Parkinson's disease in his right arm.

Lip

voodoochile
10-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Jeff turns 70 soon and has been diagnosed with the initial stages of Parkinson's disease in his right arm.

Lip

Wish him the best. Medication and other advances have really changed the quality of life one can expect with Parkinson's. My Mom lived with it for nearly 20 years and she was diagnosed back in the early 90's. Lots of changes since then and in recent years even more advances have come along other than simply treatment with pills. Hopefully he can expect many more years or even decades of productive life.

LongLiveFisk
10-09-2011, 11:12 AM

Lip

My mom has it and with medication it is under control pretty well. I wish him well with it.

Lip Man 1
10-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Jeff has a tremendous attitude mentally with this and his deep religious beliefs give him comfort. He also is a workout fiend (in part because of his son) and walks a lot with his wife Sue. He says he's doing very well right now.

Driving back home to Florida tomorrow from the Jersey shore where he and Sue have spent the past four months.

Oh No-Neck...Nolan weighs in on Robin:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-ryan-white-sox-hiring-of-ventura-a-good-move-20111009,0,848712.story

Lip

Noneck
10-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Lip,

His comments were as you figured they would be.

I guess the comment I made to Lip about this earlier wasnt too awfully weak as a peanut gallery member thought.