PDA

View Full Version : Paul Wilson

whitesoxwilkes
07-15-2002, 04:29 PM
Who is this guy and what would we have to send to Tampa to get him?

Jerry_Manuel
07-15-2002, 05:02 PM
I don't know who he is.

A lot of reports have said that Tampa wants cash. Basically their selling off players.

whitesoxwilkes
07-15-2002, 06:05 PM
will they take a bag of baseballs? or todd ritchie?

Spiff
07-15-2002, 06:05 PM
Is it the same Paul Wilson that was part of Generation K with the Mets?

Huisj
07-15-2002, 06:11 PM
yes it's the same paul wilson. he had about 130023 surgeries on his arm since '96, and like two years ago he broke through with TB and had a big second half. then he sucked for the first part of last season and had a decent second half. he looks pretty good most of the time, but he makes me nervous because it just seems like he's always going to get hurt someway or another.

Jjav829
07-15-2002, 06:20 PM
According to Fanball.com

Attendance at Devil Rays games is up, primarily because other clubs are sending scouts in hopes of acquiring some of Tampa Bay's talent prior to the trading deadline. Some of the rumored deals include pitcher Paul Wilson to the Diamondbacks, Braves, or White Sox; All-Star outfielder Randy Winn to the Giants; and first baseman Steve Cox to the Red Sox or Braves. The D-Rays are also hoping to find someone to take overpriced veterans Greg Vaughn and/or Wilson Alvarez off their hands; in fact, they might insist a club take one of those two in order to get Wilson, Winn, or Cox.

kermittheefrog
07-15-2002, 06:30 PM
Paul Wilson is what Todd Ritchie was supposed to be. Wilson is a legit #2 or #3 starter. He's got three above average major league pitches, throws hard and has been pitching well for the last year. His stats since the All-Star break last year:

33 G 8-8 193.1 IP 22 HR 58 BB 137 K 3.40 ERA

Jerry_Manuel
07-15-2002, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Paul Wilson is what Todd Ritchie was supposed to be. Wilson is a legit #2 or #3 starter. He's got three above average major league pitches, throws hard and has been pitching well for the last year.

So are you saying they should try and get him if they can?

Chisoxfn
07-15-2002, 07:32 PM
He alwasy was a very good pitcher who never had the right breaks. He came in with the Mets in the same class that featured Jason Isringhausen and both of them had arm troubles and all other kinds of troubles. Jason has broken through and now it appears as Paul has as well. Personally I wouldn't mind helping the Drays out by picking up Paul Wilson. The question is what would they want. I'd be more then willing to give them someone like Willie Harris straight up or Jose Valentin for him(Doubt theyd' want Jose's Salary). Of course I'd only give them Harris if we got ourselves a shortstop for Ray Durham that can step in this season along with Jimenez to play ss and 2nd.

Another guy I'd be interested in is Paul Byrd. He's done awesome for the Royals and they are another team that probably would be willing to do a deal for not anything huge. We could probably give them a catching prospect and a mid level pitching prospect as well as someone like Liefer. Maybe we could do it for less, I don't know.

MattSharp
07-15-2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
He alwasy was a very good pitcher who never had the right breaks. He came in with the Mets in the same class that featured Jason Isringhausen and both of them had arm troubles and all other kinds of troubles

Don't forget Bill Pulsipher was also part of this group. And you are right he never gets the breaks. He is a decent 2 or 3 starter but has never had a great offense....

LongDistanceFan
07-15-2002, 07:48 PM
He alwasy was a very good pitcher who never had the right breaks. He came in with the Mets in the same class that featured Jason Isringhausen and both of them had arm troubles and all other kinds of troubles. Jason has broken through and now it appears as Paul has as well. Personally I wouldn't mind helping the Drays out by picking up Paul Wilson. The question is what would they want. I'd be more then willing to give them someone like Willie Harris straight up or Jose Valentin for him(Doubt theyd' want Jose's Salary). Of course I'd only give them Harris if we got ourselves a shortstop for Ray Durham that can step in this season along with Jimenez to play ss and 2nd.

Another guy I'd be interested in is Paul Byrd. He's done awesome for the Royals and they are another team that probably would be willing to do a deal for not anything huge. We could probably give them a catching prospect and a mid level pitching prospect as well as someone like Liefer. Maybe we could do it for less, I don't know. one of the problems is that they might insist on the team to take a player like greg vaughn in any deal.

Chisoxfn
07-15-2002, 09:13 PM
How long is Vaugns contract? For some reason I remember it being 2 more years or something. If his contract is ending it wouldn't be horrible to take on his salary with them taking on Royce's or Joses. Then Vaughn could pinch-hit for us and get out of town. Still, I don't really want Greg around here.

LongDistanceFan
07-15-2002, 09:20 PM
How long is Vaugns contract? For some reason I remember it being 2 more years or something. If his contract is ending it wouldn't be horrible to take on his salary with them taking on Royce's or Joses. Then Vaughn could pinch-hit for us and get out of town. Still, I don't really want Greg around here.

for me, in order to take greg in with the deal, they better sweeten the pot by offering something more, like a multi player trade.

greg, regardless of his batting avg still had good offensive stats.

guillen4life13
07-15-2002, 11:33 PM
our outfield situation is already clogged. why clog it up more?

LongDistanceFan
07-16-2002, 01:34 AM
that is why i said a multi player deal, something along the lines of lee, leifer and something for a prospect, player and greg vaugn of course this is an example.