PDA

View Full Version : I give up, I surrender

Iwritecode
07-15-2002, 12:56 PM
Well, not quite yet... But I've already unfolded my white flag and hooked it up to the flag pole. Barring a miracle it-only-happens-in-the-movies turnaround by this team, I'm about ready to run it up and let it wave. It's sad when we have to watch the many ways the Twins find to win games compared to the many ways the Sox find to lose games. It's those close come-from-behind victories that the Twins seem to get so much that really hurt. Meanwhile the Sox strand the tying or go-ahead run at third base almost every night it seems. Especially against horrible teams like the Indians and Tigers. So I'm willing to wait out the rest of this road trip and maybe through the home series vs. Minnesota to see what happens. If they haven't gained any ground by then, then I have no reason to hold out any hope for the rest of the season. I'll hope that KW somehow manages to find a way to get rid of the guys that won't be around next year (Durham, Clayton, Lofton, Lee?, Valentin?) and start bringing up some of the kids and let them play. Of course the problems with this are the looming strike, making trades even more difficult, and the lack of confidence for KW to actually get worthwhile players in return. So for the next week or so I will be stuck between hoping the Sox start winning and make a run at the division, or hoping that if they continue to suck, that KW will start looking forward to next year. I hoping for the former but preparing for the latter...

hold2dibber
07-15-2002, 01:24 PM
I gave up Sat. night - after losing the last three series to Detroit (twice) and the Indians, I threw in the towel. During the three years during my life time when the Sox have won the division, they did not lose games and series the way this team loses games and series to inferior teams in infuriating fashion. Teams that are good enough to win a division don't play this bad for this long.

Iwritecode
07-15-2002, 01:38 PM
I forgot to put it in my original post but I beleive Bill Melton said it best when he was on the post game show on AM 1000 after the first loss on Saturday. He said this has been the most disappointing season he's ever had as a Sox fan of 40 years. He said as heartbreaking as last year was, this is even worse. Even though I haven't been a fan nearly as long, I have to agree whole-heartedly. :(:

ma-gaga
07-15-2002, 02:00 PM
the most disappointing season he's ever had as a Sox fan

Would it be better or worse, if the Sox were in first place when a players strike wipes out the season?

Cheryl
07-15-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga

Would it be better or worse, if the Sox were in first place when a players strike wipes out the season?

That's what's kept me sane the last month or so. Knowing this miserable season is a total wash anyway.

DrWatson27
07-15-2002, 02:24 PM
Cheryl, I couldn't have said it any better.

Spiff
07-15-2002, 02:33 PM
i gave up on may 12 after anaheim swept them. seriously.

Iwritecode
07-15-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga

Been there. Done that. Pick your poison.

Basically it's comparing what could have been (1994) to what should have been but won't be no matter what (2002).

This season really hurts because we are going to have to suffer through it so long before relief finally comes. The worst thing is that this division is/was wide open for the taking. Cleveland gave up and the Twins aren't that much better. Any other division and the Sox would be 20 games back instead of only 9.

The only way this season could get any worse is if they don't strike and we actually have to suffer through all 162 games...

PaleHoseGeorge
07-15-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I forgot to put it in my original post but I beleive Bill Melton said it best when he was on the post game show on AM 1000 after the first loss on Saturday. He said this has been the most disappointing season he's ever had as a Sox fan of 40 years. He said as heartbreaking as last year was, this is even worse. Even though I haven't been a fan nearly as long, I have to agree whole-heartedly. :(:

Melton was ripping on that post-game show. It reminded me of the Twins series last June & July when the Sox were getting blown away. He doesn't do a very good job hiding the truth. :smile:

:reinsy
"I doubt Meltie has much future in my organization..."

TheBigHurt
07-16-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Spiff
i gave up on may 12 after anaheim swept them. seriously.

meaning no World Series (lol) or no playoffs or what?