PDA

View Full Version : Don't blame Kenny or Jerry Manuel!

MikeKreevich
07-15-2002, 11:39 AM
When Tom Paciorek was let go, I wondered why. It turns out that Jerry Reinsdorf wanted to bring diversity to the broadcast booth. Mr. Reinsdorf might have had the best of intentions but Tom Paciorek, who had done nothing wrong, was out of a job and in my opinion, the broadcast is now less enjoyable.
I believe that Mr. Reinsdorf hired Kenny Williams to give a minority a chance, even though he already had a loyal employee, eminently qualified, in place. I also believe that Jerry Manuel was hired as much for minority opportunity as for his managerial talent. I don't blame Kenny Williams, who lacks experience, or Jerry Manuel, who isn't a very good manager. I blame the Chairman and the system he has implemented where minority opportunity has gotten in the way of winning baseball.

TornLabrum
07-15-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Guzman's Goat
When Tom Paciorek was let go, I wondered why. It turns out that Jerry Reinsdorf wanted to bring diversity to the broadcast booth. Mr. Reinsdorf might have had the best of intentions but Tom Paciorek, who had done nothing wrong, was out of a job and in my opinion, the broadcast is now less enjoyable.
I believe that Mr. Reinsdorf hired Kenny Williams to give a minority a chance, even though he already had a loyal employee, eminently qualified, in place. I also believe that Jerry Manuel was hired as much for minority opportunity as for his managerial talent. I don't blame Kenny Williams, who lacks experience, or Jerry Manuel, who isn't a very good manager. I blame the Chairman and the system he has implemented where minority opportunity has gotten in the way of winning baseball.

Paciorek himself has said that the reason he was fired was because Hawk Harrelson complained that he had not done his preparation for every game.

Kilroy
07-15-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

Paciorek himself has said that the reason he was fired was because Hawk Harrelson complained that he had not done his preparation for every game.

Strange, I remember Paciorek himself saying that he quit, not that he was fired, and he said he did so because the Sox asked him to change in a way that he said that he wasn't willing to try to do. He said the Sox were within their rights to ask, and he felt that he just couldn't do something differently after so many years of doing what he'd been doing. He wouldn't say what the "thing" to change was, but he did say that HE QUIT, not that he was fired. Heard it live.

So when did you hear Paciorek say he was fired? I've never heard him say that....

kermittheefrog
07-15-2002, 12:27 PM
I think that Reinsdorf felt like he had two equally qualified guys in Williams and Evans and he went with Williams in the end because it would be a minority hire. Also at the time Manuel was hired he was well qualified and did a good job with the then rebuilding White Sox. Right now the team has grown past Jerry, happens to a lot of managers. Oftentimes managers come in, solve a problem and it makes themselves obsolete. It takes a really good manager to be able to adjust himself for his team's needs as the team's needs change.

Tragg
07-15-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Guzman's Goat

I believe that Mr. Reinsdorf hired Kenny Williams to give a minority a chance, even though he already had a loyal employee, eminently qualified, in place. I also believe that Jerry Manuel was hired as much for minority opportunity as for his managerial talent. I don't blame Kenny Williams, who lacks experience, or Jerry Manuel, who isn't a very good manager.

Both Williams and Manuel were qualified for their positions.

As long as people blame every failure by a non-white on "affirmative action" we will continue to have and need affirmative action.

No-Neck
07-15-2002, 01:18 PM
Regardless of their color or reason for being hired, Kenny Williams is not qualified to be a GM and has failed miserably. Kenny Williams had no qualifications or experience to become a GM, and has become a joke.

I'll give the manager Jerry Manuel the benefit of the doubt, I still think he is a decent manager, but realistically he will never take a MBL team to the WS. He was out-managed in the 2000 post season series against Seattle.

Another factor to consider is that the Chairman likes to hire on the cheap, and by giving these two inexperieced guys these plum positions (which they both probably would never have obtained in any other organizationour beloved Chairman keeps them in a lap-dog position.

SI1020
07-15-2002, 01:28 PM
Read all the above here. IMO opinion No Neck is right on target . I would like to say to Traqq that Affirmative Action is real and evident all throughout business and government in the US today. As a consequence a lot of good people are being hosed and that's a fact even if it is politically incorrect. Having said that I believe that Manuel was qualified for his job although both he and his team would probably benefit with a parting of the ways now. As for Williams, he is a disaster beyond measure.

ISUSoxfan
07-15-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I think that Reinsdorf felt like he had two equally qualified guys in Williams and Evans and he went with Williams in the end because it would be a minority hire. Also at the time Manuel was hired he was well qualified and did a good job with the then rebuilding White Sox. Right now the team has grown past Jerry, happens to a lot of managers. Oftentimes managers come in, solve a problem and it makes themselves obsolete. It takes a really good manager to be able to adjust himself for his team's needs as the team's needs change.
I agree about Manuel. When he was hired he was the bench coach for the World Champion Florida Marlins. I'd say that makes him qualified. He stuck with his young players through some tough times in 1998. I think they dropped about 20 infield popups that year, but he got them to play some serious baseball in the second half. By 2000 he had his team overachieving. Every time he made a move that seemed dumb in 2000, it turned out to be briliant. He did his best work that season. Last year he was the victim of injuries and bad player moves by KW. This year I agree that the team has outgrown him. It's time for a change, but hiring Manuel in the first place was a good move.

KW is another story. If JR wanted to hire a black GM, there is nothing wrong with that. It's pathetic that it took so long for MLB to break the glass ceiling and hire a black GM, but why Kenny Williams? I'm sure JR could have found thousands of black people who could have done a better job than KW. It's time for JR to admit his mistake and hire a new GM, or better yet, admit to his biggest mistake, buying the team, and sell it.

Cheryl
07-15-2002, 02:37 PM
I don't know if we will ever know what KW could do as a GM since the guy he works for wants everything done on the cheap and is more concerned about whether or not he'll have to talk to Scott Boras than he is with fielding a winning team.

pudge
07-15-2002, 02:45 PM
Does anyone know more details on the Paciorek thing? I listened to him all weekend on the Tigers' broadcast (via Directv) and I really miss him in the booth. Wimpy and Hawk at least made it entertaining even when the game sucked. Now I just can't stand to watch at all.

duke of dorwood
07-15-2002, 02:55 PM
The TV games are not enjoyable. If Scott Boras represented everyone, we'd have no team. Time for Reinsdorf to get over that and give us a shot at good players that Boras has.

ma-gaga
07-15-2002, 03:13 PM
ahh. I don't think the Twins have any of Bora's clients on their team. It is possible to field a team without his help. Blaming an agent for putting together a non-competetive team is NOT an option.

KW made some decisions that didn't work out. JM made some decisions that didn't work out.

Cheryl
07-15-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
ahh. I don't think the Twins have any of Bora's clients on their team. It is possible to field a team without his help. Blaming an agent for putting together a non-competetive team is NOT an option.

KW made some decisions that didn't work out. JM made some decisions that didn't work out.

I'm not blaming Boras. Not that he isn't an *******, as far as I know. It's Reinsdorf who refuses to hire any player with Boras as an agent that's stupid and counter productive.

TornLabrum
07-15-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

So when did you hear Paciorek say he was fired? I've never heard him say that....

Several months after the firing, the first time he was back in Chicago, iirc, on The Score.

epsoxfan
07-15-2002, 05:15 PM
Reinsdorf should sell the team its not like he cares for the team or the fans. The only one he cares for is himself.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-15-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Several months after the firing, the first time he was back in Chicago, iirc, on The Score.

The way I remember it, Paciorek was told to "dumb down" the TV analysis to appeal to a wider audience of baseball novices. He went directly to JR looking for support, but got none. After that, he chose to resign, using the cover story that he wanted to spend more time with his family back in Stone Mountain, GA. In fact, he went shopping for another broadcast job immediately, and was traveling far from home again within a few months.

The Sox can't even lie good.

:ass
"Who can forget me shamelessly lobbying for the job during my radio show?"

Chisoxfn
07-15-2002, 07:38 PM
All I'm gonna say is i loved listening to the games on Direct Tv this weekend. TOm did an awesome job breaking down swings and worked good with his other announcer(I heard the other guy a long time do the angel games)

I really miss having Paciorek around and I'm sorry but DJ is nothing compared to him. He may know the game as well, but Tom knows how to explain it in a way where it makes sense to the novice fan as well as the more extreme fan. I know that I learned a lot listening to those two do Sox games when I was a kid. Until DJ started doing games, it was the only broadcasting team I'd had heard the Sox use and to me it was by far the most entertaining and informative broadcast in the game. I wish there was a way to have him back.

KVinc
07-15-2002, 07:44 PM
This whole thread makes me sick