PDA

View Full Version : Bleacher Report: Juan Uribe the most hated White Sox ever?

Procol Harum
10-04-2011, 08:56 AM
That's according to this goofy article on bleacherreport.com:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/870405-most-disliked-player-in-the-history-of-every-mlb-team

Now, Uribe was sometimes irritating and, shall we say, not the most disciplined hitter to ever come down the pike, but he generally put in a hard day's work. And compared to a complete mope like Alex Rios? I could probably reel off 100 ex-White Sox who I didn't care for a-t'all before I would feel a need to start skulking around U-deep in the alphabet...

Supposedly, this silliness is based on research on blogs and message board content; the picks are way slanted towards current players and players from the last decade. Other White Sox show up as most hated for other teams: AJ for the Giants, Dick Allen for the Phils, Albert Belle for the Indians, and Bobby Bonilla for the Mets.

Boondock Saint
10-04-2011, 09:01 AM
It's bleacher report, pay it no mind. Juan Uribe is the most disliked Sox player all-time like my ass is a banjo. Just the last two outs of 2005 takes him way off that list.

Ex-Chicagoan
10-04-2011, 09:01 AM
No Jose Paniagua?

hi im skot
10-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Jesus christ, it's Bleacher Report. Please don't click the link and give them any more traffic.

hi im skot
10-04-2011, 09:09 AM
It's bleacher report, pay it no mind. Juan Uribe is the most disliked Sox player all-time like my ass is a banjo. Just the last two outs of 2005 takes him way off that list.

Not to mention several players have been quoted as calling him one of the best clubhouse guys because he's got such a great sense of humor.

The article, shockingly, is complete bull****.

tstrike2000
10-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Who writes this garbage?

salty99
10-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Is it really true hundreds of fans cancelled season tickets just because the Sox kept Uribe? Really?

I was no Uribe fan, but I would put Swisher and Orlando Cabrera above him on my list.

asindc
10-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Is it really true hundreds of fans cancelled season tickets just because the Sox kept Uribe? Really?

I was no Uribe fan, but I would put Swisher and Orlando Cabrera above him on my list.

Jaime Navarro
David Wells
Dewayne Wise

kufram
10-04-2011, 09:44 AM
I'd take Uribe back any day. Even his free swinging was worth carrying. What a glove. What an arm. Had some pop, too. Always smiling on the bench... don't see much of that anymore. Oh, I didn't read the article. Not going to read the article. My time is too valuable.

Dibbs
10-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Wow, Juan Uribe is one of my most loved White Sox ever.

10-04-2011, 10:03 AM
I liked Uribe alot! He wasn't the best contact hitter but I loved watching him play defense. He also always swung so hard I thought he was gonna come out of his shoes. I don't know if the White Sox would have won in 2005 without him.

sullythered
10-04-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm not clicking that garbage, but Juan wasn't in the top 100 most hated White Sox. A lot of people, myself included, were big fans. Hell, I would take him back right now.

Off the top of my head:
Jaime Navarro
Royce Clayton
Carlos Castillo
Adam Dunn
Alex Rios
Andy Gonzalez
Jerry Owens
Orlando Cabrera
Wil Cordero
Billy Koch

blandman
10-04-2011, 10:07 AM

When a publication makes a statement about our fan base, it would be foolish to simply ignore it because of the source.

soltrain21
10-04-2011, 10:09 AM
When a publication makes a statement about our fan base, it would be foolish to simply ignore it because of the source.

...It's Bleacher Report. No different then if you went and started a blog and said "We didn't deserve Ozzie Guillen. He deserved better than us."

Who gives a **** what people say about our fanbase?

doublem23
10-04-2011, 10:13 AM

That'd be true if it were a professional writer or something. Bleacher Report is barely above any old jack-off's blog which then, yes, it is easy to ignore just on source.

sullythered
10-04-2011, 10:23 AM

Ok, then...

The New York Yankee fans hate Derrick Jeter.

Now it would be foolish of their fanbase to ignore that I said that, right?

Luke
10-04-2011, 10:36 AM
That'd be true if it were a professional writer or something. Bleacher Report is barely above any old jack-off's blog which then, yes, it is easy to ignore just on source.

It appears that through some mistake they didn't plagiarize this article.

Their editorial staff regrets this oversight.

DSpivack
10-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Ok, then...

No, because who is Derrick Jeter? :tongue:

Also, seriously this is absolutely moronic. Bleacher Report is no different than some idiot's blog.

El Profundo as most hated White Sox ever? The writer clearly has no idea what he's talking about.

hi im skot
10-04-2011, 10:41 AM
It appears that through some mistake they didn't plagiarize this article.

Their editorial staff regrets this oversight.

:rolling:

GlassSox
10-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Really like Juan Uribe and what my wife calls his Tasmanian Devil swing. :D:

Bobby Thigpen
10-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Jose Paniagua
David Wells
Todd Ritchie
Orlando Cabrera
Royce Clayton
John Kruk
Alex Rios
Adam Dunn
Billy Koch
Brian Anderson
Nick Swisher
Lyle Mouton
Jamie Navarro

All more hated in recent memory than Juan Uribe.

wilburaga
10-04-2011, 11:21 AM
I loved Juanny. He could and did play all three infield skill positions with distinction. What an arm.

ChiSoxGal85
10-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Didn't read the article; the writer is delusional. I love Juan.

Really like Juan Uribe and what my wife calls his Tasmanian Devil swing. :D:
Your wife's description of his swing is perfect. :bandance:

voodoochile
10-04-2011, 11:25 AM
I'd click that link, but I just had brain surgery and don't want to risk losing anymore neurons. I bet they still mad at him for pulling that trick on Lee or whoever it was when he convinced the flubbie baserunner to stop running hard implying the ball was foul. Cost the flubbies a run IIRC. Paulie made an ass out of himself to the press commenting on it later.

sullythered
10-04-2011, 11:29 AM
No, because who is Derrick Jeter? :tongue:

I have Roses on my mind...

blandman
10-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Ok, then...

No, but if you had a website read by millions of people and linked by every major sports outlet, then certainly yes.

Look, you and I know the Bleacher Report is garbage. That doesn't mean a significant percent of people don't now think White Sox fans are stupid enough to vehemently despise Juan Uribe.

doublem23
10-04-2011, 11:39 AM
No, but if you had a website read by millions of people and linked by every major sports outlet, then certainly yes.

What major sports outlets link to Bleacher Report?

Nellie_Fox
10-04-2011, 11:55 AM
At least among WSI posters, Juan was pretty well liked. He wasn't even the most disliked SHORTSTOP of the past few years.

:thechoice

DSpivack
10-04-2011, 12:16 PM
At least among WSI posters, Juan was pretty well liked. He wasn't even the most disliked SHORTSTOP of the past few years.

Maybe his acting career will go better than his baseball career!

SI1020
10-04-2011, 12:18 PM
What passes for journalism these days is sometimes beyond reason. Juan Uribe often swung like he trying to generate his own personal hurricane, but he got his share of big hits, and was very good and versatile in the infield. I have two favorite memories of the 05 WS, which are probably different than most. The first is Geoff Blum's HR in the top of the 14th inning in the 3rd game. I shouted loud enough to wake up the neighborhood. The second is Uribe diving into the stands to snare a foul ball for the 2nd out in the bottom of the 9th in game 4. Uribe is one of my personal favorites in the modern era, and so far from an all time hated Sox player. What drek they sometimes write these days.

LITTLE NELL
10-04-2011, 12:25 PM
I guess Bleacher Report has no idea who Claudell Washington is.

JB98
10-04-2011, 12:39 PM
What a stupid ****ing article.

Overall, Uribe did a nice job during his tenure with the White Sox.

doublem23
10-04-2011, 12:50 PM
What passes for journalism these days is sometimes beyond reason. Juan Uribe often swung like he trying to generate his own personal hurricane, but he got his share of big hits, and was very good and versatile in the infield. I have two favorite memories of the 05 WS, which are probably different than most. The first is Geoff Blum's HR in the top of the 14th inning in the 3rd game. I shouted loud enough to wake up the neighborhood. The second is Uribe diving into the stands to snare a foul ball for the 2nd out in the bottom of the 9th in game 4. Uribe is one of my personal favorites in the modern era, and so far from an all time hated Sox player. What drek they sometimes write these days.

Bleacher Report does not in anyway shape or form qualify as "journalism." Pretty much the sole requisite to work for them is to have an email address and probably, be able to remember your password.

SOXPHILE
10-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Jerry Dybzynski. At least after the 1983 ALCS Game 4.

Foulke You
10-04-2011, 01:47 PM

How I hated that man. Just seeing Royce's smug grin gets my blood boiling again. Jerry Manuel lived and died with him though!

Soxman219
10-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Yeah Bleacher, a World Series hero is the most hated White Sox ever.:rolleyes:

blandman
10-04-2011, 03:54 PM
What major sports outlets link to Bleacher Report?

They're quoted by SI, ESPN, and mlbtraderumors. You may have opinions on those sites too, but those are also the sites pretty much every baseball fan reads.

PatK
10-04-2011, 04:02 PM
What no hate for Mike Jackson?

all*star quentin
10-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Jose Paniagua
David Wells
Todd Ritchie
Orlando Cabrera
Royce Clayton
John Kruk
Alex Rios
Adam Dunn
Billy Koch
Brian Anderson
Nick Swisher
Lyle Mouton
Jamie Navarro

All more hated in recent memory than Juan Uribe.

I would have added Dunn, to this list.

soxgirl617
10-04-2011, 05:31 PM

Uribe's catch in the stands is also my favorite WS moment. I am still amazed that the Houston fans allowed that catch to be made. It was an outstanding play by Juan, and I would love him even if he'd never made another great play. But, in fact, he fairly routinely made great plays. I would nominate Uribe for "most underappreciated player", not most hated.

Ridiculous.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
10-04-2011, 05:39 PM
I would have added Dunn, to this list.

I'm not clicking that garbage, but Juan wasn't in the top 100 most hated White Sox. A lot of people, myself included, were big fans. Hell, I would take him back right now.

Off the top of my head:
Jaime Navarro
Royce Clayton
Carlos Castillo
Adam Dunn
Alex Rios
Andy Gonzalez
Jerry Owens
Orlando Cabrera
Wil Cordero
Billy Koch

:teach:

Although I didn't care for Senor Profundo's hack-n-slash batting approach, the guy had some great D and, of course, the second out in the 9th inning of Game 4 of the World Series was one of the best plays I've ever seen.

He aggravated me when he was cold, but damn, when he was hot, he was HOT.

WSox597
10-04-2011, 06:04 PM
The only list I'd put Juan Uribe at the top of, is the "least likely to draw a base on balls" list.

You never had to worry about him dogging it on a play, he played outstanding defense, and had some power.

He's far from the most hated. Hell, I'd take him back right now. We could use the offense he provided. He could carry the team when he was hot.

all*star quentin
10-04-2011, 06:16 PM
:teach:

Although I didn't care for Senor Profundo's hack-n-slash batting approach, the guy had some great D and, of course, the second out in the 9th inning of Game 4 of the World Series was one of the best plays I've ever seen.

He aggravated me when he was cold, but damn, when he was hot, he was HOT.

I was, out on strikes - looking. :tongue:

MtGrnwdSoxFan
10-04-2011, 06:27 PM
I was, out on strikes - looking. :tongue:

It's ok, you'll still be cleanup tomorrow. :redneck

slavko
10-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Uribe's catch in the stands is also my favorite WS moment. I am still amazed that the Houston fans allowed that catch to be made. It was an outstanding play by Juan, and I would love him even if he'd never made another great play. But, in fact, he fairly routinely made great plays. I would nominate Uribe for "most underappreciated player", not most hated.

Ridiculous.

Those first row seats are below field level, so the "long and lean" Juan towered over them. Grab a look if you have access to a replay.

Talk about BR pulling a story out of their keister....:?:

Zisk77
10-04-2011, 11:13 PM
"Show me the hands Juan!" Everytime he hit a bomb. He carried us down the stretch at times in 08'. Far from Hated ***.

To the hated list let me add: (no necessarily by me however)

Darrin Erstad
Rob Mackowiak
Ryan Bukvitch
Greg Norton
Scott Linebrink
Mike Caruso

thomas35forever
10-04-2011, 11:21 PM
I didn't even bother clicking the link. 2005. Need I say more?

doublem23
10-04-2011, 11:49 PM
They're quoted by SI, ESPN, and mlbtraderumors. You may have opinions on those sites too, but those are also the sites pretty much every baseball fan reads.

I have never seen any of them quote Bleacher Report as an actual news source.

soxinem1
10-05-2011, 07:50 AM
I guess Bleacher Report has no idea who Claudell Washington is.

Or Jamie Navarro.

Luke
10-05-2011, 09:02 AM

Are you sure you're not confusing them with another site possibly? This is the same site that got so bad they had to ask for writing samples from all the people that were already writing for them.

I thought I read on Deadspin that ESPN actually has a directive not to use or reference blogs as sources.

blandman
10-05-2011, 10:17 AM
I have never seen any of them quote Bleacher Report as an actual news source.

Are you sure you're not confusing them with another site possibly? This is the same site that got so bad they had to ask for writing samples from all the people that were already writing for them.

I thought I read on Deadspin that ESPN actually has a directive not to use or reference blogs as sources.

No, I'm not confusing them. And add yahoo sports the list.

They get quoted a LOT for rumors (especially in the ESPN rumor mill), and have actually broken a few stories.

Also, Bleacher Report is not a blog. They only accept editorials from credentialed writers.

Luke
10-05-2011, 10:53 AM

They get quoted a LOT for rumors (especially in the ESPN rumor mill), and have actually broken a few stories.

Also, Bleacher Report is not a blog. They only accept editorials from credentialed writers.

I'm not a journalist and have no idea what the credentialing process they require actually is, but it's hard for me to imagine anyone with any credentials at all running a "story" like they did with the Japanese Tsunami.

http://deadspin.com/5780983/bleacher-report-uses-japan-earthquake-as-excuse-for-sports-slideshow

You're obviously supportive of of b/r, as you're entitled to be, but to me they'll never be anything but Google-swarming content farm full of brain dead slide shows.

soltrain21
10-05-2011, 11:12 AM

Wrong.

doublem23
10-05-2011, 11:19 AM
I'm not a journalist and have no idea what the credentialing process they require actually is, but it's hard for me to imagine anyone with any credentials at all running a "story" like they did with the Japanese Tsunami.

http://deadspin.com/5780983/bleacher-report-uses-japan-earthquake-as-excuse-for-sports-slideshow

You're obviously supportive of of b/r, as you're entitled to be, but to me they'll never be anything but Google-swarming content farm full of brain dead slide shows.

I'm sure they have some credential requirements for their top-level editorial team, but pretty much anybody can write featured content for them. ****, I know a guy who does, I don't even think he finished college.

I don't read b/r enough to argue if they have a few decent writers at the top of their pyramid, but the majority of the crap they spew is written by anybody with an email address.

BTW, if you've seen them quoted by ESPN or SI, you should get a hold of someone at b/r because even they don't know it: http://bleacherreport.com/partners

blandman
10-05-2011, 11:49 AM

No, I'm not "supportive" of the crap on there. But it's not different from the local newspaper. And my original point is that we should be cognizant of what's written there about our fanbase. Because it is taken as an authority, by about 20 million people per month.

Wrong.

Right.

Go read the about section.

I'm sure they have some credential requirements for their top-level editorial team, but pretty much anybody can write featured content for them. ****, I know a guy who does, I don't even think he finished college.

I don't read b/r enough to argue if they have a few decent writers at the top of their pyramid, but the majority of the crap they spew is written by anybody with an email address.

BTW, if you've seen them quoted by ESPN or SI, you should get a hold of someone at b/r because even they don't know it: http://bleacherreport.com/partners

Bleacher report started as an everybody can post venture. As it gained popularity, they hired on staff editors and writers. They still take submissions, but it's very selective (1 in about 2500 submissions get posted).

That partner page is for sites that post bleacher report articles, not quote them.

DumpJerry
10-05-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm not sure what methodology this guy used to come up with the list, but it is certainly flawed. The most hated Tiger in the history of the franchise is Juan Gonzalez? In the entire history? Hasn't this clown heard of someone named Ty Cobb?

Dibbs
10-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Blandman has got to be an undercover Cubs fan being paid to attempt to drive us all crazy. Or maybe he is one of Ozzie's sons.

Anyway, is there anyway to ignore him when he is quoted as well? The ignore function is useless for that guy since each and every one of his posts is quoted because he is so ridiculous.

MrT27
10-05-2011, 07:01 PM

I'd take Clayton over Jose Valentin (who is my most disliked SS and possibly Sox player ever). He was a .248 hitter, real bad glove, lots of K's. He did have good pop for a SS and slightly above average speed but that's about it. Am I missing something?

WSox597
10-05-2011, 07:04 PM
"Show me the hands Juan!" Everytime he hit a bomb. He carried us down the stretch at times in 08'. Far from Hated ***.

To the hated list let me add: (no necessarily by me however)

Darrin Erstad
Rob Mackowiak
Ryan Bukvitch
Greg Norton
Scott Linebrink
Mike Caruso

I'm not so sure about Rob Mackowiak. He all but begged not to be put in CF, but Guillen trotted him out there day after day. Even if Guillen didn't know it, Rob knew he wasn't a CFer.

I have no hate at all for Rob Mackowiak, he did what he could, and never whined about it.

JorgeFabregas
10-05-2011, 08:12 PM
IIRC, people were upset that Juan's last option year was picked up because it was expensive and he had no starting job pencilled in for the team.

He was a flawed player, but definitely valuable in his own way.

Nellie_Fox
10-05-2011, 11:55 PM
I'd take Clayton over Jose Valentin (who is my most disliked SS and possibly Sox player ever). He was a .248 hitter, real bad glove, lots of K's. He did have good pop for a SS and slightly above average speed but that's about it. Am I missing something?Let's not re-visit the Manos vs. Choice debates. Feel free to go looking through the archives.

TheVulture
10-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Yes, we Sox fans dislike nothing more than a slick fielding shortstop. Even more so than a crafty lefty workhorse.