PDA

View Full Version : Joe Maddon endorses Dave Martinez for Sox Manager job

DumpJerry
10-02-2011, 06:31 PM
He really likes him. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-1003-white-sox-martinez--20111003,0,1100012,full.story)

samurai_sox
10-02-2011, 06:45 PM
A week ago I had no idea who Dave Martinez was.

The more I hear about him the more I'd like him to come manage the Sox.

Plus he has an epic beard. :cool:

dickallen15
10-02-2011, 07:06 PM
I'm stunned. You would think Maddon might say he's definitely not ready to manage.

DirtySox
10-02-2011, 07:06 PM
I'm even more sold than I was before. Hire this man!

PaleHoser
10-02-2011, 08:18 PM
The comment about Martinez having a quick baseball mind made me chuckle.

IIRC, Martinez was playing 1B the day Terry Bevington called for Keith Foulke from the bullpen although Foulke hadn't warmed up. It came out later that it was Martinez's idea to intentionally walk the first hitter to give him four extra warm-up pitches.

blandman
10-02-2011, 08:25 PM

Ummm...he played for the Sox for like three years in the 90's. Played with Guillen those three years, supposedly they were good friends.

He's also the guy, along with Palmeiro, rumored to have slept with Ryne Sandberg's wife.

Frater Perdurabo
10-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Played with Guillen those three years, supposedly they were good friends.

He's also the guy, along with Palmeiro, rumored to have slept with Ryne Sandberg's wife.

True or false, what do these things have to do with his ability to manage a baseball team?

A. Cavatica
10-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Cool. Much as I like Francona, I think Martinez might be an even better choice. The stories coming out about how Francona couldn't get through some of the underachieving players in Boston this year sound eerily familiar.

Alomar? I'm not sure if he's ready, but I'm fine with him getting an interview.

A. Cavatica
10-02-2011, 08:34 PM
True or false, what do these things have to do with his ability to manage a baseball team?

Not much. FWIW, I've heard the same rumor about Ryne Sandberg and lots of people think he's ready to manage.

tstrike2000
10-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Ummm...he played for the Sox for like three years in the 90's. Played with Guillen those three years, supposedly they were good friends.

Do you have any useful information about him?

Bobby Thigpen
10-02-2011, 08:43 PM
At the same time? :o::o:

:cool:

Frater Perdurabo
10-02-2011, 08:45 PM
If the Sox are going to hire a manager who has not had previous managerial experience, I would prefer that he have spent time coaching in a successful organization under the direction of a top-notch manager, and comes highly regarded by his manager and players. Martinez fits the bill in this regard; the Rays have been very successful in baseball's toughest division with a much smaller payroll than their rivals; and Maddon is by all accounts an outstanding manager who speaks highly of Martinez.

I would be OK with Alomar and Sandberg, but based on everything I have read so far, Martinez is my first choice.

DSpivack
10-02-2011, 09:09 PM
If the Sox are going to hire a manager who has not had previous managerial experience, I would prefer that he have spent time coaching in a successful organization under the direction of a top-notch manager, and comes highly regarded by his manager and players. Martinez fits the bill in this regard; the Rays have been very successful in baseball's toughest division with a much smaller payroll than their rivals; and Maddon is by all accounts an outstanding manager who speaks highly of Martinez.

I would be OK with Alomar and Sandberg, but based on everything I have read so far, Martinez is my first choice.

Yeah, from the little I've read I really like Martinez. Maybe Alomar can be hired to be groomed as a manager in the minors, or maybe Martinez might hire him as bench coach (though of course it's up to him to hire whomever he wants).

Daver
10-02-2011, 09:09 PM
If the Sox are going to hire a manager who has not had previous managerial experience, I would prefer that he have spent time coaching in a successful organization under the direction of a top-notch manager

You just described Ozzie Guillen.

palehozenychicty
10-02-2011, 09:14 PM
xiwtXHPwGPE

doublem23
10-02-2011, 09:18 PM

LOL, what? Ozzie spent two years in Montreal (cumulative record 151-173) and then spend one year waving guys in from third in Florida. Martinez has been the Rays bench coach since 2008.

Also, my gut tells me Martinez isn't a moron.

ChiSoxGal85
10-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Well, that's a pretty glowing review from Maddon. Based on that, I'd be satisfied if the Sox hired Martinez.

jdm2662
10-02-2011, 09:40 PM
LOL, what? Ozzie spent two years in Montreal (cumulative record 151-173) and then spend one year waving guys in from third in Florida. Martinez has been the Rays bench coach since 2008.

Ozzie was the third base coach for Jack McKeon for a year. I think that was Daver was referring to. McKeon was a pretty damn good manager himself, just like Joe Maddon is.

Frater Perdurabo
10-02-2011, 09:40 PM

And he turned out OK for five seasons, before he got full of himself.

WhiteSox5187
10-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Ozzie was the third base coach for Jack McKeon for a year. I think that was Daver was referring to. McKeon was a pretty damn good manager himself, just like Joe Maddon is.

And before that he worked with Torborg who had a good reputation.

DSpivack
10-02-2011, 09:48 PM
And before that he worked with Torborg who had a good reputation.

As well as Felipe Alou (and Frank Robinson).

gosox41
10-02-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm even more sold than I was before. Hire this man!

I'd rather hire Maddon. Of course I realize that isn't happening.

Bob

SoxandtheCityTee
10-02-2011, 09:54 PM
I was in favor of this even before Maddon signed on. :crossfingers:

It has me worried -- will how far the Rays go affect this because KW cannot talk to Martinez until they are out of the playoffs?

A. Cavatica
10-02-2011, 10:09 PM

Add one criterion: Must not have fallen for hidden ball trick more than once in career. (Proves he can learn from mistakes.)

DumpJerry
10-02-2011, 10:13 PM

There was also Ozzie's stint on the coaching staff of his mentor, Bobby Cox.

WhiteSox5187
10-02-2011, 10:14 PM
There was also Ozzie's stint on the coaching staff of his mentor, Bobby Cox.

I don' think Ozzie ever coached for Atlanta he just played with them for a couple of years.

samurai_sox
10-02-2011, 10:16 PM
I was in favor of this even before Maddon signed on. :crossfingers:

It has me worried -- will how far the Rays go affect this because KW cannot talk to Martinez until they are out of the playoffs?

I guess we're going to have to start rooting for the Rays to lose to the Rangers then.

DumpJerry
10-02-2011, 10:16 PM
I don' think Ozzie ever coached for Atlanta he just played with them for a couple of years.
:redface: You're right.

HaroMaster87
10-02-2011, 11:16 PM

Your sig always makes me throw up in my mouth a little...

Dave Martinez gets my vote...we just got done with the ranting and raving type manager with this group...lets try this type...he's seems to be even-keeled and calm. Maybe that will rub off on all the head cases this roster currently has.

soxfanreggie
10-03-2011, 12:43 AM
Dave Martinez gets my vote...we just got done with the ranting and raving type manager with this group...lets try this type...he's seems to be even-keeled and calm. Maybe that will rub off on all the head cases this roster currently has.

I don't know what our other options are, but I wouldn't be upset to hear that Dave is announced as our next manager.

Frater Perdurabo
10-03-2011, 06:09 AM
Add one criterion: Must not have fallen for hidden ball trick more than once in career. (Proves he can learn from mistakes.)

Well put

mahagga73
10-03-2011, 08:26 AM

He was a pretty good ballplayer.Came up with Cubs in late 80's about same time as Mark Grace and Palmeiro.Little bit better than average hitter.

blandman
10-03-2011, 08:28 AM

Not much. FWIW, I've heard the same rumor about Ryne Sandberg and lots of people think he's ready to manage.

Do you have any useful information about him?

Whoa hey....I was responding to someone who said he hadn't heard of him.

mahagga73
10-03-2011, 08:29 AM

His first wife was before he became a big leaguer,if I remember right she wasn't all that great looking.Ryne ended up hooking up with one of his son's little league teammates Mom if I remember right.

LITTLE NELL
10-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Since I watch the Rays probably more than 99% of WSI members I think that Martinez is our guy. If he has learned only 75% from Maddon, thats enough. he never leaves Maddons side and in the games that Maddon has been ejected, Martinez has done a very good job.
He seems like he has a very even disposition much like Al Lopez who I consider the best Sox manager of all time.
I would love for the Rays to go all the way but there is a little man inside me that wants the Rays eliminated so we can sign Martinez and start the work that needs to be done for 2012.

hawkjt
10-03-2011, 09:44 AM
I like both Alomar and Martinez,but I do think that Davey might be more ready for the job. I hope they get him. As for waiting for the Rays to lose...I can be patient. Nothing really happens til after the World Series anyway,and if he is the right guy,then the wait is worth it.
When you think about it, most of the roster moves are not going to be a new managers call anyway. They will be dictated by salary constraints,for the most part.

I am not rooting for the Yankees to beat the Rays,if that is the matchup. If the Rays make the World Series, I am an AL guy.

October26
10-03-2011, 10:06 AM
I remember Dave Martinez (he's in the last row of my 1997 Sox team photo below). Yes, he and Ozzie were teammates along Harold, Frank, and Robin. And also Tony Peņa.

From all reports, it sounds like Dave's had a lot of preparation to become a manager working under Joe Maddon. And Maddon's endorsement is great.
I'm happy to hear that Dave does not do Twitter (a good thing in my opinion), that he's been in charge of managing all of the different personalities in the Rays clubhouse (also a good thing), and that he's had an opportunity to manage the Rays in Maddon's absence.

hawkjt
10-03-2011, 10:25 AM
I admit that I liked hearing that Davey's son is at Northwestern on a soccer scholly. No baseball playing sons works for me. The Sox will not be expected to draft a soccer prospect,I presume. Somehow I suspect that we would not be dealing with Davey's family ....hopefully.

AZChiSoxFan
10-03-2011, 10:48 AM
IIRC, Martinez was playing 1B the day Terry Bevington called for Keith Foulke from the bullpen although Foulke hadn't warmed up.

A truly classic moment in Sox history.

VeeckAsInWreck
10-03-2011, 10:52 AM
A truly classic moment in Sox history.

Yeah, I believe that was the same game when the Sox retired #72. I remember Bevington shouting "FOULKE" as we walked out because he had no one warming in the pen.

ElevenUp
10-03-2011, 11:05 AM
I admit that I liked hearing that Davey's son is at Northwestern on a soccer scholly. No baseball playing sons works for me. The Sox will not be expected to draft a soccer prospect,I presume. Somehow I suspect that we would not be dealing with Davey's family ....hopefully.

Does he have a Twitter account?

Daver
10-03-2011, 11:07 AM
I admit that I liked hearing that Davey's son is at Northwestern on a soccer scholly. No baseball playing sons works for me. The Sox will not be expected to draft a soccer prospect,I presume.

You are talking about an organization that used a draft pick on a girl softball player.

Gammons Peter
10-03-2011, 11:36 AM

Anyone know the origin of these rumors. I'm not doubting it, I'm just wondering how the names got out.

Madvora
10-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Not that this has anything to do with his ability to manage, and nothing can or will happen now, but Dave Martinez was named in Jose Canseco's book for steroids. I know that's not enough to do anything, but I have a question. Is a manager, still being an employee of the MLB, subject to any kind of fines or suspensions for having done something as a player?
Let's say Manny Ramirez, for example, wanted to manage right now, when he has a pending suspension. Can he?

spongyfungy
10-03-2011, 12:21 PM
One thing I remember about Dave Martinez was that brutal collision he had with Lyle Mouton chasing a foul ball. iirc

HaroMaster87
10-03-2011, 05:31 PM
I remember Dave Martinez (he's in the last row of my 1997 Sox team photo below). Yes, he and Ozzie were teammates along Harold, Frank, and Robin. And also Tony Peņa.

From all reports, it sounds like Dave's had a lot of preparation to become a manager working under Joe Maddon. And Maddon's endorsement is great.
I'm happy to hear that Dave does not do Twitter (a good thing in my opinion), that he's been in charge of managing all of the different personalities in the Rays clubhouse (also a good thing), and that he's had an opportunity to manage the Rays in Maddon's absence.

Doesn't Joe Maddon have a twitter account? Im not sure but i thought so...

blandman
10-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Not that this has anything to do with his ability to manage, and nothing can or will happen now, but Dave Martinez was named in Jose Canseco's book for steroids. I know that's not enough to do anything, but I have a question. Is a manager, still being an employee of the MLB, subject to any kind of fines or suspensions for having done something as a player?
Let's say Manny Ramirez, for example, wanted to manage right now, when he has a pending suspension. Can he?

Even if it were the case, Canseco's book was about a time when using steroids did not come with suspension.

Madvora
10-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Even if it were the case, Canseco's book was about a time when using steroids did not come with suspension.
Yeah, that's right. That's just led me to think about a case like Manny Ramirez though. How would that work?

ChiSoxGirl
10-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Awesome! :thumbsup: After reading that article, I'd be more than OK with Martinez as the new Sox manager.

October26
10-04-2011, 05:57 AM
Doesn't Joe Maddon have a twitter account? Im not sure but i thought so...

I'm not sure if Maddon has an account or not. I have nothing against Twitter accounts; I was just commenting on the link/article which said that Martinez does not tweet. I'm thinking that Dave will have much to learn if he is selected to become the next Sox manager and so the less distractions he has, the better.