PDA

View Full Version : Gonzo With A Look Ahead...

Lip Man 1
10-01-2011, 08:05 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-1002-gonzales-white-sox-chicago--20111002,0,5521763.story

Lip

Nelfox02
10-01-2011, 09:16 PM
I would not mind the idea of a rebuild that much given the circumstances if I had any faith in this organization to properly execute it and make it pay dividends down the line.....but I dont have the faith.

I dont see any reason at this time to ever think the Sox will be able to establish a patter of consistent success (which I define by post season appearances, not winning seasons) as long as the current ownership group is in place.

russ99
10-02-2011, 01:08 PM
I would not mind the idea of a rebuild that much given the circumstances if I had any faith in this organization to properly execute it and make it pay dividends down the line.....but I dont have the faith.

I dont see any reason at this time to ever think the Sox will be able to establish a patter of consistent success (which I define by post season appearances, not winning seasons) as long as the current ownership group is in place.

I tend to agree, but now Williams is firmly in the crosshairs and his job is on the line, so maybe he can keep the ego in check and get back to what he used to do best prior to 2006, find inexpensive talent and piece together a decent club on a budget.

I'm OK with a reloading period as long as the team is fun to watch again and the Sox go back to acting like a big market team at the end of it. No backsliding to where we were before 2000.

Parrothead
10-02-2011, 02:06 PM
to do this the scouts need to do a good job, which they have not been doing since schuler left.

gosox41
10-02-2011, 09:57 PM
to do this the scouts need to do a good job, which they have not been doing since schuler left.

It's all on KW. Every draft pick, free agent signing, trade, international scouting, etc. He in charge of all this and if the people under him aren't doing their job, then get rid of them and fine one's who will.

Of course a lot of this is based on KW's philisophy. How much of the Sox poor success in drafting in the firs round is a result of KW doing one of two things:
1. Drafting players who are close to ML ready but with not the highest of ceilings.
2. Drafting great athletes but not great baseball players (ie Jared Mitchell and the guy from this year.) How about drafting the most talented baseball players?

It's like KW is trying to re-draft himself.

Bob

asindc
10-03-2011, 07:41 AM
It's all on KW. Every draft pick, free agent signing, trade, international scouting, etc. He in charge of all this and if the people under him aren't doing their job, then get rid of them and fine one's who will.

Of course a lot of this is based on KW's philisophy. How much of the Sox poor success in drafting in the firs round is a result of KW doing one of two things:
1. Drafting players who are close to ML ready but with not the highest of ceilings.
2. Drafting great athletes but not great baseball players (ie Jared Mitchell and the guy from this year.) How about drafting the most talented baseball players?

It's like KW is trying to re-draft himself.

Bob

Either that, and/or JR's apparent philosophy of not wanting to pay over slot in the draft and possibly not wanting to invest very much in scouting and development.

Lip Man 1
10-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Kenny certainly deserves his share of the blame but how much is JR getting involved in the drafting / signing process? And what is his "philosophy" when it comes to that??

I heard numerous reports now of how JR is more involved in this than people think going so far as to tell his staff who to draft and how much they are to pay certain prospects.

If this is true it seriously handicaps what the front office may be trying to do no?

Lip

SI1020
10-03-2011, 10:48 AM

I dont see any reason at this time to ever think the Sox will be able to establish a pattern of consistent success (which I define by post season appearances, not winning seasons) as long as the current ownership group is in place. I wish I could disagree with this but I can't.