PDA

View Full Version : Sox, Santos agree to deal

SoxFan89
09-30-2011, 04:02 PM
3 years, 8.25M (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/09/white-sox-sergio-santos-agree-to-multiyear-deal.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

EDIT: Deal includes three years, plus three option years.

eriqjaffe
09-30-2011, 04:04 PM
I see they're already spending that Buehrle money.

Seriously, for a team in a quasi-payroll-cutting, rebuilding mode, it's a strange move. Santos was slated to make darn near league minimum next year.

I'm not upset, really, because of the 3 option years, and it's a good price for a closer. But still, a little strange.

Noneck
09-30-2011, 04:10 PM
This move is strange to me also, it seems as though it would lower his worth. I dont understand this, it kind of reminds me of extending Teahen.

veeter
09-30-2011, 04:10 PM
I think the Sox think it's going to be a good value deal. I happen to agree with them. Sergio's the real deal.

DirtySox
09-30-2011, 04:16 PM
Nice. Could be a steal even if Sergio regresses a bit.

The Immigrant
09-30-2011, 04:32 PM
I'm a big fan of this deal. For those who have not read it, here's the archived NY Times article on Sergio: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/25/sports/baseball/25santos.html?pagewanted=all

(Maybe now he'll finally make more money than his brother Gabe :tongue:)

CWSpalehoseCWS
09-30-2011, 05:23 PM
This is a pretty good deal if you ask me. Cheap for a closer, and 3 option years? That's pretty nice.

thomas35forever
09-30-2011, 05:29 PM
:clap:

ChiSoxGal85
09-30-2011, 05:35 PM
I'm a big fan of this deal. For those who have not read it, here's the archived NY Times article on Sergio: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/25/sports/baseball/25santos.html?pagewanted=all

(Maybe now he'll finally make more money than his brother Gabe :tongue:)
That's a terrific article. Santos' story always moves me. He seems like a nice kid with a strong belief in his talent. With perserverance, he was rewarded. I'm still sorry I decided not go to an autograph session he was at his first year of pitching...

Lip Man 1
09-30-2011, 05:44 PM
I think this is a good deal. Reasonable salary for the next two years, after that, should the Sox not be doing well or if they decide to go "all out," he'd be easy to move in a deal.

Kenny's getting started early...I like it.

Lip

Tragg
09-30-2011, 05:45 PM
This move is strange to me also, it seems as though it would lower his worth. I dont understand this, it kind of reminds me of extending Teahen.

Santos is a much better player and is signed for the same years at 60% of Teahen's money. I don't see the comparison.

kevingrt
09-30-2011, 06:21 PM
This is a pretty good deal if you ask me. Cheap for a closer, and 3 option years? That's pretty nice.

And the kid has ridiculous stuff. If he can be our closer for 162 games next year and does as well as he did this year that would be outstanding. Remember this was only his third full year as a pitcher. Not just a major league pitcher, a pitcher in general! That is crazy to think of. Kid still has potential I think.

(I know he is not a kid.)

HaroMaster87
09-30-2011, 06:43 PM
what was his status before this deal? Was he arbitration eligible yet?

I like it too either way...The more seasons he has like last season and this one, his price just keeps going up. Better to lock him up now...

SoxSpeed22
09-30-2011, 06:52 PM
Nice deal. His second half was discouraging, but he can still be a good closer going forward.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-30-2011, 07:23 PM
That's a pretty good deal for the Sox. He is cheap next year, when they really need the, uh, relief, and escalates dramatically after that to Santos' benefit. Even at $2.75 in year 2, if he is as good as we hope, that will be cheap for a top reliever.

blandman
09-30-2011, 07:55 PM
This is a great signing. He's cheap in the short term even if we rebuild, and then he's affordable when we're set to compete again. If we don't, his contract would be highly trade-able.

sullythered
09-30-2011, 08:00 PM
Love the move, but it might signify that the Sox aren't going into total break down/rebuild mode. I'm not a fan of "blowing it up" in modern baseball, anyway.

Noneck
09-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Santos is a much better player and is signed for the same years at 60% of Teahen's money. I don't see the comparison.

The example is both are under the Sox control and no need to extend until they have to. How long would Santos be under the Sox control until he would be a FA?

Vernam
09-30-2011, 09:38 PM
Love the move, but it might signify that the Sox aren't going into total break down/rebuild mode. I'm not a fan of "blowing it up" in modern baseball, anyway.

Agree. If they do decide to blow it up, though, this contract only increases Sergio's trade value IMO.

Vernam

sullythered
09-30-2011, 10:44 PM
Agree. If they do decide to blow it up, though, this contract only increases Sergio's trade value IMO.

Vernam

I thought you couldn't trade a player within one year of new paper.

Noneck
09-30-2011, 10:55 PM

If thats the case it makes this deal even more baffling to me.

Daver
09-30-2011, 10:57 PM

There are all sorts of variables involved with that, and most of them involve FA signings, not a re-signing of a player that is already under contract, as it could be considered a contract extension as opposed to a new contract.

doublem23
10-01-2011, 11:29 AM
The example is both are under the Sox control and no need to extend until they have to. How long would Santos be under the Sox control until he would be a FA?

Yeah but you're missing a key ingredient here and that is Mark Teahen was "bad" while Sergio Santos is "good."

Anyways, the Sox only bought out his remaining pre-arb year (2012) and his first two arb years (2013) and (2014). Throw in the three years of club option and it's good stuff. This is a good deal, very cost effective, and good for the Sox because even if they're cutting costs, now they can better set their payroll in upcoming years. Unlike Danks and Quentin, who are going through the arb process and we have no idea what they'll be making in 2012, with Sergio, the Sox have a definite number they can bank on for the next three seasons while they try and reorganize their payroll situation.

doublem23
10-01-2011, 11:31 AM
There are all sorts of variables involved with that, and most of them involve FA signings, not a re-signing of a player that is already under contract, as it could be considered a contract extension as opposed to a new contract.

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the trade restriction on new signs lifts somewhere in May, so I think this is all a moot argument as I doubt the Sox would have seriously been interested in trading Sergio within the 1st month of the 2012 season anyway, new contract or not.

TaylorStSox
10-01-2011, 08:09 PM
This deal is so Sox friendly I almost feel bad for Sergio.

palehozenychicty
10-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Good team deal. His performance stock is going up, but they are protected on the balance sheet. People who are hating must have forgot in April when Matt Thornton tried to close. We got a blessing from Sergio this year.

doublem23
10-02-2011, 08:52 AM
This deal is so Sox friendly I almost feel bad for Sergio.

Sergio gets pretty good security in this deal, they guy was on the brink of falling out of baseball altogether, and I'm sure he's aware how volatile bullpen arms can be. FWIW, Joakim Soria signed a similar deal with the Royals after his brilliant 2008 season (63 G, 67.1 IP, 42 Sv, 8.8 K/9, 0.861 WHIP).

fusillirob1983
10-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Good team deal. His performance stock is going up, but they are protected on the balance sheet. People who are hating must have forgot in April when Matt Thornton tried to close. We got a blessing from Sergio this year.

I agree. What did Thornton get earlier in the year? $6 million or so to "potentially" close? He's a fine set up man, but overpaid for that spot. Sergio's making half that for closing. I like it.

soxfanreggie
10-03-2011, 01:46 AM
I see they're already spending that Buehrle money.

Seriously, for a team in a quasi-payroll-cutting, rebuilding mode, it's a strange move. Santos was slated to make darn near league minimum next year.

I'm not upset, really, because of the 3 option years, and it's a good price for a closer. But still, a little strange.

It's not really strange when you think about wanting to lock up a guy who can be your closer for the next five years and is willing to give up a lot more money in the future (assuming he stays on track with his progress). We get him relatively cheap and then have options, albeit at more money, for even more time.

It is tough to see the Sox spend more money when we want to re-sign Burls, but we have to think of the future as well.

SoxSpeed22
10-03-2011, 02:26 AM
It's not really strange when you think about wanting to lock up a guy who can be your closer for the next five years and is willing to give up a lot more money in the future (assuming he stays on track with his progress). We get him relatively cheap and then have options, albeit at more money, for even more time.

It is tough to see the Sox spend more money when we want to re-sign Burls, but we have to think of the future as well.The more I think about it, if the Sox are really going to rebuild, they will probably end up trading Santos by 2013 or 2014. If Santos improves and maybe makes an All-Star appearance or two, they might be able to get a lot out of him. This deal also makes it so that contending lower market teams can also afford him in a trade.

soxinem1
10-03-2011, 10:38 PM
I think the Sox think it's going to be a good value deal. I happen to agree with them. Sergio's the real deal.

Hmm, for a guy who folded two Septembers in a row it seems like a big investment.

ktssox
10-04-2011, 11:30 AM

I'm not hating on it. I like the move for the most part, but Sergio still makes me extremely nervous. Maybe they're paying him so little so that they can pay someone else to close at home. He is so much shakier at home than he is on the road.