PDA

View Full Version : Report: Red Sox to Decline Option on Francona

Boondock Saint
09-30-2011, 12:16 AM
Brilliant. (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/manager-terry-francona-expected-to-part-ways-with-red-sox-092911)

I guess that's what happens when your manager has an ERA over 7 in September and blows a save with two outs in the 9th of a season-saving game 162. I mean, when you do that, it's just the obvious call.

Vernam
09-30-2011, 12:21 AM
Now that's loyalty. We couldn't get this lucky, could we?

Vernam

Soxman219
09-30-2011, 12:24 AM
:praying::praying::praying::praying::praying::pray ing:

Noneck
09-30-2011, 12:31 AM
I was wondering if Manny came back as manager, would he 1st have to fulfill his suspension?

DeadMoney
09-30-2011, 12:42 AM
WEEI is reporting that Francona asked that the team NOT pick up the option.

WBZ-FM believes he has an agreement with JR to manage the White Sox.

:o: That would be... :bandance:

cards press box
09-30-2011, 12:46 AM

That would be very good news. Did the source from WBZ explain why he or she believes that Terry Francona has an agreement to manage the White Sox?

DeadMoney
09-30-2011, 12:53 AM

I'm still trying to figure out the logic here. For the past hour I was trying to figure out the story behind the Rosenthal article. Now, I have this to comprehend. I suppose if he went in and pulled an Ozzie, this would make some sense (playing both option years guaranteed versus leaving).

Noneck
09-30-2011, 01:05 AM
Bob Neumeier who also works for CSN-NE and NBC says Francona was contacted by the White Sox on Thursday in a non tampering way. Salary is NOT an issue.

Holy crap, if this comes true, I will be eating a HUGE piece of humble pie.

GoGoCrede
09-30-2011, 01:05 AM
I dearly hope I'm online and logged into WSI if he signs with us, because the celebration/trepidation threads will be epic.

Boondock Saint
09-30-2011, 01:07 AM
Bob Neumeier who also works for CSN-NE and NBC says Francona was contacted by the White Sox on Thursday in a non tampering way. Salary is NOT an issue.

The heat in Boston right now is on ownership. Fans are screaming for Epstein's scalp, not Francona and my guess is Tito has told ownership that he is gone unless there are changes in upper management.

This situation will soon explode.

http://www.myvintagegeneration.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/d2jQOgBnMKGrHgoOKkYEjlLmbkuBKPdiVcW_1.JPG.jpeg

ChiSoxGal85
09-30-2011, 01:20 AM
I dearly hope I'm online and logged into WSI if he signs with us, because the celebration/trepidation threads will be epic.
Definitely!!

I wondered if there was some of bad blood between Francona and the White Sox, because so few seemed to think he'd manage here. I think it would be great to have him. He's got one more ring than Ozzie (as a manager), anyway. :D:

I was a fan of the way Francona told Bobby Jenks to shut up after the Twittergate thing between Jenks and Oney Guillen over the winter... :D:

October26
09-30-2011, 05:41 AM

Interesting. You predicted for weeks that Ozzie was going to Miami and you were right.

And now this. Guess I'll have to stay glued to WSI all day again today!

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-30-2011, 05:48 AM
Interesting. You predicted for weeks that Ozzie was going to Miami and you were right.

And now this. Guess I'll have to stay glued to WSI again all day today!

Ozzie going to the Marlins was the MLB's worst-kept secret. I think pretty much everyone here had him pegged to go to Miami the moment he left.

soxfanatlanta
09-30-2011, 07:11 AM
This would be a very good thing.

Now, if they could just get rid of Rios...

Moses_Scurry
09-30-2011, 07:44 AM
I have to think that a hiring of Francona would mean no rebuilding. It's hard to imagine Francona going to a team about to tear everything down.

Madvora
09-30-2011, 07:51 AM
I'm starting to like the White Sox again.

asindc
09-30-2011, 07:52 AM
That would be very good news. Did the source from WBZ explain why he or she believes that Terry Francona has an agreement to manage the White Sox?

While I wouldn't be upset if the Sox hired Francona, I'm not excited about the prospect. Despite Ozzie's bombastic nature, I think the biggest need for our clubhouse is to have someone instill more passionate spirit into the team, particularly the veterans with big paychecks. Ozzie pretty much admitted that he wasn't into it this season. The word out of Boston is that one of the lingering criticisms of Francona, even before this season, was that he was too laid back to kick ass and get into a player's face when needed (a lot of their clubhouse issues seem quite similar to ours). I'd rather have the Sox hire a young up-and-coming type, such as Dave Martinez, to instIll some enthusiasm and energy in the clubhouse again.

jaguiar2
09-30-2011, 07:55 AM
Ozzie going to the Marlins was the MLB's worst-kept secret. I think pretty much everyone here had him pegged to go to Miami the moment he left.

Looking back I find it pretty funny that Ozzie wore a Marlins hat at his roast about a year ago.

Rocky Soprano
09-30-2011, 07:55 AM
That would be freaking awesome!
Pleaset let it happen!

Rocky Soprano
09-30-2011, 07:57 AM
Looking back I find it pretty funny that Ozzie wore a Marlins hat at his roast about a year ago.

I find it telling not funny.
Ozzie admitted in his Miami press conference that this was something his family and he had talked about for years.

tstrike2000
09-30-2011, 08:00 AM

Fens, if all of the above comes to fruition, big blow for those of you in Boston, especially since I've heard you mention how you feel about Francona. Obviously would cap off a disastrous week for the Sawx.

The Immigrant
09-30-2011, 08:03 AM
Gammons was on The Score this morning and pretty much poo-pooed the idea that Francona would be coming to the White Sox. We shall see.

Boondock Saint
09-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Gammons was on The Score this morning and pretty much poo-pooed the idea that Francona would be coming to the White Sox. We shall see.

That's because it's Peter Gammons.

Rocky Soprano
09-30-2011, 08:26 AM

Which means the opposite will happen.
:D:

cards press box
09-30-2011, 10:58 AM
While I wouldn't be upset if the Sox hired Francona, I'm not excited about the prospect. Despite Ozzie's bombastic nature, I think the biggest need for our clubhouse is to have someone instill more passionate spirit into the team, particularly the veterans with big paychecks. Ozzie pretty much admitted that he wasn't into it this season. The word out of Boston is that one of the lingering criticisms of Francona, even before this season, was that he was too laid back to kick ass and get into a player's face when needed (a lot of their clubhouse issues seem quite similar to ours). I'd rather have the Sox hire a young up-and-coming type, such as Dave Martinez, to instIll some enthusiasm and energy in the clubhouse again.

Dave Martinez would be a great hire, as would Sandy Alomar or Terry Francona. Ozzie was disinterested and yet brought so much tension to the 2011 team (with the ongoing Ozzie/KW feud) that the players seemed to play tight. It was the worst of all worlds -- Ozzie's mind was somewhere else, the players weren't listening to him and the whole team was under a dark cloud. The 2012 team would respond positively to Martinez, Alomar or Francona and I would be happy with any of them as the next Sox manager.

asindc
09-30-2011, 11:40 AM
It's official:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/baseball/mlb/09/30/red.sox.francona/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a3&eref=sihp

hi im skot
09-30-2011, 11:42 AM
It's official:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/baseball/mlb/09/30/red.sox.francona/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a3&eref=sihp

Sign this man.

MeteorsSox4367
09-30-2011, 11:57 AM
I hope Francona knows that Chicago is a beautiful place in the summer and it's not bad in the spring and fall. There's also a passionate fan base that doesn't get as much publicity as others, but knows the game and loves their team.

I'd be cool with the hiring of Alomar or Martinez, but Francona would be very cool.

Sign the man.

DirtySox
09-30-2011, 11:58 AM
While I'm not against signing Francona, is he really the best fit for this team if they are indeed undergoing some sort of a rebuild? Would he even want to be a part of it? If he is okay with the circumstances, great. I wouldn't be upset if any of Tito, Martinez, or Sandy took over.

WhiteSox5187
09-30-2011, 12:16 PM
While I'm not against signing Francona, is he really the best fit for this team if they are indeed undergoing some sort of a rebuild? Would he even want to be a part of it? If he is okay with the circumstances, great. I wouldn't be upset if any of Tito, Martinez, or Sandy took over.

If the White Sox sign Francona I think it is safe to assume that there will not be a rebuild while he is the manager. That's a big IF though.

Noneck
09-30-2011, 12:27 PM

I agree, I dont see the attraction for Francona if the Sox will rebuild. I also dont see the need for Francona if the Sox will rebuild. Use the extra 10M for the minor league system and hire anyone cheap.

Fenway
09-30-2011, 12:35 PM
The Red Sox are now saying nothing will happen utntil at least Monday.

Ownership is very aware that the media and fans are screaming it is not Francona's fault but Theo's mess.

Francona is beloved here...Theo not as much.

DirtySox
09-30-2011, 12:40 PM
If the White Sox sign Francona I think it is safe to assume that there will not be a rebuild while he is the manager. That's a big IF though.

Rebuild aside, I don't see how it's a very enviable position at the moment. Maybe it's just me, but with the almost assured payroll paring and trading of pieces this coming winter, I don't feel very optimistic about the team's near future. A Martinez or Alomar manager signing just seems to fit better. If Jerry/Kenny want to prove me wrong though, I'd welcome it.

Fenway
09-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Red Sox beat writer notes that Francona has the 'respect' of JR

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/09/francona_red_so.html?p1=News_links

JoeyCora28
09-30-2011, 12:53 PM

:b&b

Hunnnh, Hunnh, he said poo-poo...

JoeyCora28
09-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Red Sox beat writer notes that Francona has the 'respect' of JR

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/09/francona_red_so.html?p1=News_links

The real question is, does JR's checkbook respect Francona?

Fenway
09-30-2011, 01:38 PM
WEEI is reporting that John Henry plans to meet with Joe Torre this weekend.

Bobby Valentine also in the mix...

Noneck
09-30-2011, 01:54 PM
WEEI is reporting that John Henry plans to meet with Joe Torre this weekend.

Forget Torre no way he brings his stock to Suffolk.

samurai_sox
09-30-2011, 02:03 PM
All I know is that the Sox better move quick if they want Francona or Martinez.

Don't forget we have a lot of competition out there in hiring a new manager, Red Sox and Cubs.

FielderJones
09-30-2011, 02:13 PM
It's official:

I wish.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-red-sox-no-decision-yet-on-francona-20110930,0,4923149.story

guillensdisciple
09-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Would take him in a Chicago minute.

Fenway
09-30-2011, 02:14 PM
Mike Lynch the sports anchor at WCVB-TV just bought this brick from the Red Sox....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/317784_10150332984894445_68174059444_7795801_10710 00050_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150332984894445&set=a.102575809444.88706.68174059444&type=1&theater

Ex-Chicagoan
09-30-2011, 03:01 PM
Don't forget we have a lot of competition out there in hiring a new manager, Red Sox and Cubs.

Did I miss the "Quade has been fired" announcement? I only know of one managerial opening (two when Francona is officially out).

soxnut1018
09-30-2011, 04:25 PM
Francona officially gone. Statements out. #RedSox #MLB

http://twitter.com/#!/Ken_Rosenthal/status/119884779448573955

thomas35forever
09-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Barry Rozner was on Mac & Spiegel this morning and said Francona might take a year off just to get away from all the pressures of managing.

That said, hire this man, Jerry.

TheOldRoman
09-30-2011, 04:40 PM
Did I miss the "Quade has been fired" announcement? I only know of one managerial opening (two when Francona is officially out).No, it hasn't happened yet. However, as soon as they pick a GM, that GM will fire Quade and pick a new manager.

Soxman219
09-30-2011, 05:34 PM
JR knows what he MUST DO.

DirtySox
09-30-2011, 05:40 PM
Heyman reporting Francona isn't high on the White Sox managerial list.

Danielgosox38
09-30-2011, 05:54 PM

:(

DirtySox
09-30-2011, 06:13 PM
SBerthiaumeESPN Steve Berthiaume
by Buster_ESPN
Terry Francona on #RedSox players during collapse: "When things go bad your true colors show... and I was bothered by what was showing."
5 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Soxman219
09-30-2011, 06:15 PM

Until Francona is on another team, everything is heresay.

I still hope he'll be here in Chicago.

DirtySox
09-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Until Francona is on another team, everything is heresay.

Of course it is. No one has stated otherwise. Speculation threads are for speculation.

blandman
09-30-2011, 06:25 PM
SBerthiaumeESPN Steve Berthiaume
by Buster_ESPN
Terry Francona on #RedSox players during collapse: "When things go bad your true colors show... and I was bothered by what was showing."
5 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

How dare he talk about his former team that way? I don't want that guy anywhere near this team.

soltrain21
09-30-2011, 06:27 PM
How dare he talk about his former team that way? I don't want that guy anywhere near this team.

Please don't tell me you think that comment resembles anything remotely close to what Ozzie has spewed over the last few days.

DirtySox
09-30-2011, 06:28 PM
Please don't tell me you think that comment resembles anything remotely close to what Ozzie has spewed over the last few days.

**** the ring. It's all about the money.

Zakath
09-30-2011, 07:24 PM

:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

Taking advantage of other teams' stupidity... Priceless.

Lip Man 1
09-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Steve Stone on CTL this afternoon says he doesn't see Francona to the White Sox.

Lip

Daver
09-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Steve Stone on CTL this afternoon says he doesn't see Francona to the White Sox.

I view this as a good thing.

Vernam
09-30-2011, 08:22 PM
The symmetry of this is fascinating. Francona deserves to be pissed. He got ****ed over for real, compared to Ozzie's situation where they basically let him ass-**** the organization for two years and then begged him for a third, yet he left claiming the Sox's "loyalty" is lacking. Francona had his team in position to stroll into the playoffs despite a pair of players (Lackey and Crawford) whose seasons could be said to mirror those of our own albatrosses.

Yet Francona departed with class. The messages I've seen from Red Sox fans indicate they think the wrong guy left. (Also sounds familiar, to some extent.) He won two championships in eight years for a team that hadn't had one in 80. But it's Ozzie who departs with a big **** you to the fans. So bring on Francona, I say. He looks like the anti-Ozzie, including his winning percentage.

Realistically, though, it doesn't make sense unless KW and JR think it can help us at the gate and, secondarily, in the standings. That's the problem: We are a longshot to contend any time soon. Therefore why would Francona come here, and why would the Sox pay him what he deserves to come here? Alomar and Martinez make a lot more sense, though I hate to admit it.

I hope the Sox prove me wrong, but we're probably in denial if we think Francona's coming. And we might regret it if bringing him here fools the Sox into delaying the tough choices they need to make to build the team back up.

And then there's the small matter of Francona's having failed to make the playoffs with a roster that supposedly was the greatest since 1927. I guess you could say I'm conflicted. Seems like an awesome guy, though, and that counts. If the Sox have no intention of going after him -- or intend to but fail -- this will cap off the worst month KW and JR have had in quite a while.

Vernam

Hitmen77
09-30-2011, 09:12 PM

Do they have a legitimate source to base this on? Or is this their guess on what might happen?

To be honest, I'll be very surprised if he ends up as White Sox manager.

Nellie_Fox
10-01-2011, 12:38 AM
It's no longer a rumor that Francona is leaving Boston, and there is plenty of speculating about the next Sox manager in threads in the clubhouse. So, I'm closing this one.