PDA

View Full Version : Moneyball and Ozzie

pudge
09-30-2011, 12:47 AM
For anyone who saw the movie (I also read the book and thought the movie was a pretty good interpretation) the dynamic between Billy Beane and Art Howe (as portrayed in the film) was fascinating and really made me wonder if Ozzie and Kenny didn't have a similar dynamic this season. What shocked me was that Howe was so amazingly defiant to his boss. I get that a manager wants to run the team his way, but in the end the GM is your boss. At some point we all must buy into the philosophy of our leadership. It strikes me that you probably shouldn't work for Billy Beane if you don't buy into what he's trying to do. I wonder what the "Carlos Pena" arguments were in the White Sox clubhouse this season. And in the end, whatever the heck Ozzie has been doing has not worked well, regardless of what you want to say about the GM, so I am all for getting a manager who will be on the same page as the guy who put together the team.

SI1020
09-30-2011, 12:53 AM
For anyone who saw the movie (I also read the book and thought the movie was a pretty good interpretation) the dynamic between Billy Beane and Art Howe (as portrayed in the film) was fascinating and really made me wonder if Ozzie and Kenny didn't have a similar dynamic this season. What shocked me was that Howe was so amazingly defiant to his boss. I get that a manager wants to run the team his way, but in the end the GM is your boss. At some point we all must buy into the philosophy of our leadership. It strikes me that you probably shouldn't work for Billy Beane if you don't buy into what he's trying to do. I wonder what the "Carlos Pena" arguments were in the White Sox clubhouse this season. And in the end, whatever the heck Ozzie has been doing has not worked well, regardless of what you want to say about the GM, so I am all for getting a manager who will be on the same page as the guy who put together the team. So you believe the movie accurately portrays what really happened?

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2011/09/28/art-howe-livid-over-his-portrayal-in-moneyball/

Noneck
09-30-2011, 01:06 AM
I get that a manager wants to run the team his way, but in the end the GM is your boss. At some point we all must buy into the philosophy of our leadership.

Yes thats the way I always thought things should be but here the GM and manager both ultimately reported to ownership, not a good situation.