PDA

View Full Version : SoxFest 2012

Pages : [1] 2

We Treat'em
09-29-2011, 07:20 PM
With the recent price increase and changes of late, my question is ....Anyone going ? My two cents : I've gone every year, but I'm really on the fence this year. I love my team, the seminars and interacting with current and former players. Someone please talk me into/out of this.

all*star quentin
09-29-2011, 08:19 PM
Joe Crede, Frank Thomas, Paul Konerko, for starters, will be there. :cool:

kittle42
09-29-2011, 08:25 PM
I haven't gone since the first year they moved it to the crappy Palmer House. Hyatt was much, much better.

Domeshot17
09-29-2011, 08:30 PM

Frank Thomas is hardly there though, unless you want to pay 300 bucks for him to sign some generic 8 x 10. We are on the fence, I haven't missed one in a long time, but my son will only be 3-4 months old, so I don't know if (a) I want to make him endure that weekend or (b) I want to leave him for a weekend. Part of me thinks it would be cool for him to see pictures of himself with a bunch of players when he was a baby, but part of me thinks he would be miserable.

Nelfox02
09-29-2011, 11:24 PM

Source on Big Frank? Hoping that he is there again and hoping they get rid of the awful Big Hurt pricing. Yeah, Konerko is a lock if he is still with the team.......

I will be going. It is a fun weekend still, despite the move to Palmer and the pricing getting near the outrageous level........its a fun few days in the city, get to see a lot of people I see each year only at S-Fest, get some autographs, and its sorta the offical start of the baseball year for me. Its dead of winter, but you start talking baseball at S-Fest and before you know it ST is starting.

Milw
09-30-2011, 09:33 AM
My wife and I have been priced out of SoxFest. We look at it like this: For the price of three days of standing in line for autographs and sitting in banquet halls listening to people talk, we could buy decent tickets to about 12-15 games. The value proposition there is ridiculously inequitable.

Last time I went to SoxFest was around 2001, when it cost something like $20 a day, and hotel packages were strictly optional add-ons instead of the pseudo requirement it has become. I don't begrudge the Sox at all for charging what the market will bear, but unless they revise their pricing scheme, I don't see myself back at SoxFest.

amsteel
09-30-2011, 09:41 AM
I've never been, but the hotel pricing seems way out of line. The GF and I have stayed at the Palmer House on weekends several times for 100$/night via Priceline.

What stops people from just buying passes and staying somewhere else, or at home?

Milw
09-30-2011, 10:02 AM
I've never been, but the hotel pricing seems way out of line. The GF and I have stayed at the Palmer House on weekends several times for 100$/night via Priceline.

What stops people from just buying passes and staying somewhere else, or at home?
You can't buy weekend passes without buying the (way overpriced) hotel packages. For two people, that comes out to $466, "plus fees." That's insanity.

Yes, "a limited number of individual day SoxFest passes will be made available for sale at a later date." They haven't disclosed what the pricing will be on those yet.

salty99
09-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Here is my guess on who will end up attending:
New Manager
New Coaches
Konerko
AJ
Danks - if he is signed in time
Sale
Beckham
Morel
Flowers
Thornton
Dunn probably not
Frasor - if he's signed
Santos
Ohman
Crain
Buehrle - 1 day if he's signed
Peavy ?
Humber
Alexei

The usual alumni plus two or three different guys like Crede.

amsteel
09-30-2011, 11:02 AM
You can't buy weekend passes without buying the (way overpriced) hotel packages. For two people, that comes out to $466, "plus fees." That's insanity.

Yes, "a limited number of individual day SoxFest passes will be made available for sale at a later date." They haven't disclosed what the pricing will be on those yet.

What a scam, at least it's not dynamically priced. Yet.

all*star quentin
09-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Source on Big Frank? Hoping that he is there again and hoping they get rid of the awful Big Hurt pricing. Yeah, Konerko is a lock if he is still with the team.......

I will be going. It is a fun weekend still, despite the move to Palmer and the pricing getting near the outrageous level........its a fun few days in the city, get to see a lot of people I see each year only at S-Fest, get some autographs, and its sorta the offical start of the baseball year for me. Its dead of winter, but you start talking baseball at S-Fest and before you know it ST is starting.

Hawk mentioned that Frank would be at Soxfest on the last televised game:cool:

skobabe8
09-30-2011, 12:23 PM
What a scam, at least it's not dynamically priced. Yet.

It's been like that for years.

I haven't gone in years.

Foulke You
09-30-2011, 03:50 PM
I haven't gone since the first year they moved it to the crappy Palmer House. Hyatt was much, much better.
Same here. Waaaaaay too expensive now since moving to Palmer House. A one day pass used to be $15.00-$20 at the Hyatt. I liked to shop at the dealer room, go to the town hall meeting, sit in on a seminar, and go to the garage sale, and head home. It's just not worth the $50+ for a one person, one day pass to me. Also, the packages are way out of my price range. Can't even entertain spending that. It's a shame because I really used to enjoy the event.

Milw
09-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Same here. Waaaaaay too expensive now since moving to Palmer House. A one day pass used to be $15.00-$20 at the Hyatt. I liked to shop at the dealer room, go to the town hall meeting, sit in on a seminar, and go to the garage sale, and head home. It's just not worth the $50+ for a one person, one day pass to me. Also, the packages are way out of my price range. Can't even entertain spending that. It's a shame because I really used to enjoy the event.
Ditto to all that.

salty99
11-01-2011, 06:10 PM
New Names announced:
Frank Thomas
Pablo Ozuna,
Neal Cotts
Cliff Politte
Paul Konerko
Robin Ventura
Steve Stone
Hawk Harrelson
Kevin Hickey
Moose Skowron
Minnie Minoso
Bill Melton

Brian26
11-01-2011, 06:24 PM
I'm only going if the lovable Jed and Theo are there.

KMcMahon817
11-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Pablo Ozuna....oh boy, I gotta be there. I am only half kidding.

Domeshot17
11-01-2011, 07:35 PM
New Names announced:
Frank Thomas
Pablo Ozuna,
Neal Cotts
Cliff Politte
Paul Konerko
Robin Ventura
Steve Stone
Hawk Harrelson
Kevin Hickey
Moose Skowron
Minnie Minoso
Bill Melton

Wow, with this lineup, they must have sold double digit rooms already!

Is it still 300 bucks to get a pre selected Frank Thomas autograph?

ChiSoxGirl
11-01-2011, 09:59 PM
New Names announced:
Frank Thomas
Pablo Ozuna,
Neal Cotts
Cliff Politte
Paul Konerko
Robin Ventura
Steve Stone
Hawk Harrelson
Kevin Hickey
Moose Skowron
Minnie Minoso
Bill Melton

These guys, in addition to Joe Crede? Must be a seven-year reunion of the 2005 team.

guillensdisciple
11-01-2011, 10:38 PM
I really wanted to go to one of these before I left Chicago.

With this costing basically 600 for 3 people, I am very very straight off of this.

soxfanreggie
11-01-2011, 11:03 PM
These guys, in addition to Joe Crede? Must be a seven-year reunion of the 2005 team.

Some are guys who don't have much else to do at that part of the year and will enjoy being treated to a very nice weekend where all their amenities are taken care of.

Lip Man 1
11-01-2011, 11:24 PM
I wish the Sox would "expand" the player base for this.

I know they have brought in from time to time some players from the 60's / 70's and 80's but it does seem like the same members of the team who work for the Sox as P.R. / goodwill ambassadors are used over and over.

In my interviews I know a few of the former players have said they'd love to come back for these but somehow aren't asked.

Especially for some of the older guys I think they'd really appreciate being remembered for a weekend.

Lip

StillMissOzzie
11-01-2011, 11:36 PM
I'm with the folks who realized that a weekend of SoxFest costs the same as a dozen games or so for the family. Between the snug fit at the Palmer House and the mandatory hotel stay to get in Friday, they have pretty much priced me out of the market.

As an oldtimer, I remember when passes were half the price they are now, and weekend passes came WITH the room, not as a separate purchase.

SMO
:gulp:

ChiSoxGirl
11-02-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm with the folks who realized that a weekend of SoxFest costs the same as a dozen games or so for the family. Between the snug fit at the Palmer House and the mandatory hotel stay to get in Friday, they have pretty much priced me out of the market.

As an oldtimer, I remember when passes were half the price they are now, and weekend passes came WITH the room, not as a separate purchase.

SMO
:gulp:

Also known as the good old days of SoxFest!

all*star quentin
11-02-2011, 11:47 PM
New Names announced:
Frank Thomas
Pablo Ozuna,
Neal Cotts
Cliff Politte
Paul Konerko
Robin Ventura
Steve Stone
Hawk Harrelson
Kevin Hickey
Moose Skowron
Minnie Minoso
Bill Melton

I like that line up! :smile:

salty99
12-01-2011, 04:25 PM
More names:
Dunn
Flowers
Floyd
Humber
Lillibridge
Santos
Ramirez
Morel
Thornton
Viciedo

Baines
Parent
McEwing
Manto

Widger

Wsoxmike59
12-01-2011, 05:46 PM
I wish the Sox would "expand" the player base for this.

I know they have brought in from time to time some players from the 60's / 70's and 80's but it does seem like the same members of the team who work for the Sox as P.R. / goodwill ambassadors are used over and over.

In my interviews I know a few of the former players have said they'd love to come back for these but somehow aren't asked.

Especially for some of the older guys I think they'd really appreciate being remembered for a weekend.

Lip

I agree Lip. I would love to see players like Gary Peters, Joel Horlen, Walt Williams, Ed Herrmann, Luis Aparicio and players from the days of my youth.

Wsoxmike59
12-01-2011, 05:48 PM
More names:
Dunn
Flowers
Floyd
Humber
Lillibridge
Santos
Ramirez
Morel
Thornton
Viciedo

Baines
Parent
McEwing
Manto

Widger

Adam Dunn should have to pay everyone $20 who stands in his autograph line! That's the least he could do after the year he had in 2011.

Nelfox02
12-01-2011, 11:22 PM
More names:
Dunn
Flowers
Floyd
Humber
Lillibridge
Santos
Ramirez
Morel
Thornton
Viciedo

Baines
Parent
McEwing
Manto

Widger

a little surprised to see Viciedo will be there.......did you get this list from the sox site? I cant find it anywhere on there

Vernam
12-01-2011, 11:57 PM
More names:
Dunn
Flowers
Floyd
Humber
Lillibridge
Santos
Ramirez
Morel
Thornton
Viciedo

Baines
Parent
McEwing
Manto

Widger

You had me at "Humber."

On the obscure old-timers front, I'd vote for Britt Burns. Might be tough for him to relive a certain 1983 game, but I'd like to think fans would realize/remember that's one of the great pitching performances in franchise history. While we're at it, how about Hoyt, Dotson, and Bannister, too?

Vernam

TommyGavinFloyd
12-02-2011, 12:43 AM
Adam Dunn should have to pay everyone $20 who stands in his autograph line! That's the least he could do after the year he had in 2011.

Also, he must sit in the corner on a stool, wearing once of those "Dunce" caps, except it says "Dunn". And if anyone yells at him he must look down in shame and promise to start working on his swing as soon as he gets home.

salty99
12-02-2011, 10:41 AM
a little surprised to see Viciedo will be there.......did you get this list from the sox site? I cant find it anywhere on there

I overheard Kenny telling someone on the phone at the airport.

doublem23
12-02-2011, 10:44 AM

The list was posted on the Sox's Facebook account yesterday

russ99
12-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Also, he must sit in the corner on a stool, wearing once of those "Dunce" caps, except it says "Dunn". And if anyone yells at him he must look down in shame and promise to start working on his swing as soon as he gets home.

I have to admit I'm pretty impressed that Dunn is going to SoxFest. He could have easily passed after such a bad season.

Hopefully the encouraging Sox fans outnumber the Sox fans who want to vent their spleens...

salty99
12-02-2011, 11:45 AM
I overheard Kenny telling someone on the phone at the airport.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111201&content_id=26076082&vkey=pr_cws&c_id=cws

SI1020
12-02-2011, 01:02 PM
You had me at "Humber."

On the obscure old-timers front, I'd vote for Britt Burns. Might be tough for him to relive a certain 1983 game, but I'd like to think fans would realize/remember that's one of the great pitching performances in franchise history. While we're at it, how about Hoyt, Dotson, and Bannister, too?

Vernam I thought that staff would lead them to glory for many years.

DirtySox
12-02-2011, 01:04 PM
I have to admit I'm pretty impressed that Dunn is going to SoxFest.

As am I. Good on him for that. Though I fear it could be very ugly.

salty99
12-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Another added perk for hotel guests is a Joe Crede bobblehead one per weekend pass.

Domeshot17
12-02-2011, 03:34 PM
have they said yet if Frank Thomas is going to require that stupid Big Hurt package again, and will he again only be signing pre selected photos?

TomBradley72
12-02-2011, 03:55 PM
You had me at "Humber."

Vernam

How about Baumgarten, Wortham, Kravec and Burns?

Throw in Chris Knapp and Lerrin LaGrow-

PaleHoser
12-02-2011, 05:41 PM

Seems wrong to invite those four and not include Steve Trout too. Five lefties in the starting rotation...those were the days.

Baseball Digest, July 1980 (http://books.google.com/books?id=rjQDAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false).

soxinem1
12-02-2011, 06:03 PM
My wife and I have been priced out of SoxFest. We look at it like this: For the price of three days of standing in line for autographs and sitting in banquet halls listening to people talk, we could buy decent tickets to about 12-15 games. The value proposition there is ridiculously inequitable.

Last time I went to SoxFest was around 2001, when it cost something like $20 a day, and hotel packages were strictly optional add-ons instead of the pseudo requirement it has become. I don't begrudge the Sox at all for charging what the market will bear, but unless they revise their pricing scheme, I don't see myself back at SoxFest.

I totally agree with you. The last time my family and I went was in 2005, right after they signed Iguchi and AJ.

Hyatt is a much better location, and buying tickets just for SoxFest was still an option without having to wait until it was about to start to buy them.

With Chicago's ridiculous hotel tax and the fact staying in Downtown hotels isn't exactly a road trip, I would rather spend that near $500 on either regular season tickets or an extended weekend in Holland or South Haven, Michigan.

Unfortunately, it is just a sense of value. I cannot justify these ridiculous prices just to walk in the door of these events.

Brian26
12-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Seems wrong to invite those four and not include Steve Trout too. Five lefties in the starting rotation...those were the days.

Baseball Digest, July 1980 (http://books.google.com/books?id=rjQDAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false).

The great thing about this photo - not only is Baumgarten wearing the terrible Sox jersey with the pre-sewn collar, but he's wearing one of those plastic 1970's raincoats underneath, which also has a collar, so he's got a double collar thing going. Have to love 1980 fashion.

Brian26
12-02-2011, 09:06 PM
I agree Lip. I would love to see players like Gary Peters, Joel Horlen, Walt Williams, Ed Herrmann, Luis Aparicio and players from the days of my youth.

Peters and Horlen were there two years ago.

Brian26
12-02-2011, 09:08 PM

Vernam

Burns, Hoyt, Dotson and Bannister have all been there in recent years. The Sox don't have 50 previous players there every year like the Cubs do, but Soxfest is run a bit differently (better) than the Cubs convention. The Cubs bring in tons of guys, but all of them don't speak multiple times at the seminars, and the autographs are done by random lottery. I like the way the Sox do business.

Tragg
12-02-2011, 11:05 PM
I just got reminded why I don't like Joe Cowley. We traded my favorite pitcher of the era - Britt Burns - for him.
Britt got hurt as I recall and didn't pitch much at all after that.

Woofer
12-03-2011, 12:14 PM
The great thing about this photo - not only is Baumgarten wearing the terrible Sox jersey with the pre-sewn collar, but he's wearing one of those plastic 1970's raincoats underneath, which also has a collar, so he's got a double collar thing going. Have to love 1980 fashion.

I just bought the Fisk jersey like that during the big Mitchell and Ness sale last weekend. I've always had a soft spot for them, though I really want all the all Navy road jersey.

Falstaff
12-03-2011, 04:41 PM

Throw in Chris Knapp and Lerrin LaGrow-

Ya I say lets see Cy Acosta so then I can revisit my childhood hero.

34 Inch Stick
12-05-2011, 04:23 PM
I've never understood the logic behind paying to go to something that is a promotional vehicle for the team. They should be paying us to attend. Somehow things got reversed.

I realize this is not the typical viewpoint.

BainesHOF
12-05-2011, 06:49 PM
I've never understood the logic behind paying to go to something that is a promotional vehicle for the team. They should be paying us to attend. Somehow things got reversed.

You're exactly right. Soxfest used to be a way to attract media attraction for a weekend during the middle of the winter and generate some ticket sales. Now it's a money-making event itself.

What's been interesting in recent years is the price has gone up, but the number of autographs signed has gone down. Gone are the days when the Big Hurt would crank out 550 autographs each day. It's unfortunate when a parent decides to take his kid on a Saturday or Sunday only to run into closed autograph lines at every turn. It takes what should be a positive experience for fans and turns it into a negative.

salty99
12-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Premium package announced: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111219&content_id=26195974&vkey=pr_cws&c_id=cws

Also added Crain, Sale, AJ, Peavy, and Beckham

Milw
12-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Premium package announced: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111219&content_id=26195974&vkey=pr_cws&c_id=cws

There's some neat perks in there.

After you buy your hotel package and then do the premium package upgrade, you're only in for what, $500? I mean, I'm sure there's a half dozen or so people who think that's a good value.

#1swisher
12-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Private autograph session with Robin Ventura. Will he sign the rookie card, I have? Also, what would it's value be? :cool:

EDIT: an unsigned Ventura rc in mintcondition is $0.75

We Treat'em
12-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Private autograph session with Robin Ventura. Will he sign the rookie card, I have? Also, what would it's value be? :cool:

EDIT: an unsigned Ventura rc in mintcondition is $0.75

He will most certainly sign your card, and with that sig attached to Ventura's rookie card I see no problem with you getting at least $1.00 maybe as high as $1.50

A signed Ventura rookie, graded PSA/DNA and slabbed is going for $29.95 on ebay, It's all about what someone will pay

BainesHOF
12-20-2011, 01:25 AM
After you buy your hotel package and then do the premium package upgrade, you're only in for what, $500?

A ball signed by the entire 2012 team will not be worth half that.

Nelfox02
12-20-2011, 10:16 PM

So I guess the Big Hurt will be signing for the public?

salty99
12-21-2011, 11:51 AM
So I guess the Big Hurt will be signing for the public?

That was my guess, but he signed for a ton of people who weren't with the premium package last year too.

Milw
12-22-2011, 03:54 PM
A ball signed by the entire 2012 team will not be worth half that.
That's what I get for leaving off the teal.

yazz32
01-03-2012, 04:31 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/community/sf_day.jsp

SoxFest Two-Day and Sunday-Only Passes will be available for purchase on Monday, January 9 at 10:00 a.m. on whitesox.com only.

Two-Day Passes (good for admission to Saturday and Sunday of SoxFest) are $70.
Sunday-Only Passes are $35.

Golden Sox
01-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Does this mean we can't buy individual tickets for Saturday at Soxfest?

BainesHOF
01-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Does this mean we can't buy individual tickets for Saturday at Soxfest?

Yes. That's the organization trying to gouge you if you just want to attend Saturday, which has always been the most popular day of the three.

I heard today that only 43 rooms have sold for the three-day pass/weekend package. Each room can buy up to four passes so that means Friday attendance is up to a maximum of 172.

TaylorStSox
01-06-2012, 08:14 PM

I realize this is not the typical viewpoint.

The whole thing kind of weird me out. I see Konerko and say, "Hi. I'm Tim." He's goes, " Hi. I'm Paul Konerko." I respond, "I know. You're a good player." "Thanks." Awkward silence ensues.

It's great for kids. But, adults? I also think wearing Jerseys is weird too. Don't mind me.

Nelfox02
01-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Yes. That's the organization trying to gouge you if you just want to attend Saturday, which has always been the most popular day of the three.

I heard today that only 43 rooms have sold for the three-day pass/weekend package. Each room can buy up to four passes so that means Friday attendance is up to a maximum of 172.

I dont remember a sox fest really ever having what you would call light attendance, I wonder if Friday will really be down this year.......

yazz32
01-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Was wondering too..Seems Sox are pushing Soxfest promotion more than before and trying to use Crede bobblehead as extra incentive for hotel package which they never did before. Friday attendance will be interesting....

Golden Sox
01-07-2012, 09:49 AM
I noticed on the Arizona Diamondsback site that there fanfest is held at Chase Field and they don't charge admission to get in. Its bad enough we have to pay to get in, but now you can't even buy a one day pass for Saturday. You have to buy a 2 day pass for the weekend in order to get into Soxfest on Saturday. I called my season ticket agent at the park, and he said thats the new policy for Soxfest. Unless this is changed, this will be the first Soxfest I will not attend.

Brian26
01-07-2012, 10:27 AM
I noticed on the Arizona Diamondsback site that there fanfest is held at Chase Field and they don't charge admission to get in.

If the Sox didn't charge admission, there would be ten times the amount of people there, making it a bad experience for everybody.

Logistically, with selling tickets, the Sox are assured of knowing how many people will be there and how to coordinate the activities accordingly.

Steelrod
01-07-2012, 07:54 PM
I noticed on the Arizona Diamondsback site that there fanfest is held at Chase Field and they don't charge admission to get in. Its bad enough we have to pay to get in, but now you can't even buy a one day pass for Saturday. You have to buy a 2 day pass for the weekend in order to get into Soxfest on Saturday. I called my season ticket agent at the park, and he said thats the new policy for Soxfest. Unless this is changed, this will be the first Soxfest I will not attend.
The Arizona Diamondbacks had trouble selling out the World Series. Phoenix is a college town. Wanna buy a hockey team?

salty99
01-09-2012, 12:11 PM

Wow that is sad.

Milw
01-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Wow that is sad.
I think it's great, actually. The Sox priced me out of SoxFest several years ago. I've got no problem with them charging what the market will bear, but clearly they've gone above and beyond that and will pay the price with pathetic attendance numbers. Hopefully that means a more fan-friendly and market-realistic pricing system for SoxFest 2013, one that will allow me to actually attend for the first time since 2005.

kittle42
01-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Hopefully that means a more fan-friendly and market-realistic pricing system for SoxFest 2013, one that will allow me to actually attend for the first time since 2005.

It's been a mess ever since they moved out of the Hyatt.

tacosalbarojas
01-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Agree that it hasn't been the same since leaving the Hyatt. Too cramped, way too expensive IMO. I missed last year for the first time since 1998, and I didn't miss it at all. Not an autograph guy, so the sessions have always been the main attraction for me. If you allow me to go to one session, any one session of the three for a reasonable price, I'll come back. Otherwise, money goes back in the pocket for an extra game later in the season.

ChiSoxFann
01-09-2012, 02:42 PM
I think it's great, actually. The Sox priced me out of SoxFest several years ago. I've got no problem with them charging what the market will bear, but clearly they've gone above and beyond that and will pay the price with pathetic attendance numbers. Hopefully that means a more fan-friendly and market-realistic pricing system for SoxFest 2013, one that will allow me to actually attend for the first time since 2005.

I haven't been since '05 either, but it seems like the event's been a mess since leaving the Hyatt (from everything I've heard). I was hoping to make it this year, but $35 to go on Sunday is still too pricey for me. I thought it would be cheaper to attend since they're supposedly cutting game ticket prices, but I'll just keep the cash.

SoxandtheCityTee
01-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Add me to the list of people who regularly attended at the Hyatt but don't go now. Why would I pay for a hotel room when I live nearby? Why should I have to go all weekend to make the pass worthwhile when I have other things to do that weekend? Why should I be shoehorned into this inadequate space for huge money for a daily pass if it's even available? I don't want a whole weekend herded into a box; I want a fest I can drop in on as convenient.

How they don't get the economy's effect on this whole idea is just beyond me.

DumpJerry
01-09-2012, 04:37 PM
I've never gone (except at night to have drinks with friends at the bar). Why? I'm not an autograph hound and if anything noteworthy happens, the media covers it.

kittle42
01-09-2012, 06:09 PM
I've never gone (except at night to have drinks with friends at the bar). Why? I'm not an autograph hound and if anything noteworthy happens, the media covers it.

That was the other great thing about the Hyatt - the Atrium bar ruled for that purpose.

Nelfox02
01-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Wow that is sad.

for the FWIW file, got the normal email from the Palmer House event coordinator confirming the reservation and dealing with some FAQ's, but this year he did not BCC the list so you could see everyone on the distribution.......I only counted about 30 addresses. Now I realize its extremely possible he did not have all the emails of everyone who purchased a room on this particular email, but if he did.......wow

in any event, very curious to see what the attendance is throughout the weekend....I actually cant wait for Sox Fest......despite the price and issues of the palmer, I still have a great time

Nelfox02
01-09-2012, 06:55 PM

wonder how the premium upgrade pass is selling this year?

ChiSoxGirl
01-09-2012, 08:49 PM
It's been a mess ever since they moved out of the Hyatt.

Agree that it hasn't been the same since leaving the Hyatt. Too cramped, way too expensive IMO. I missed last year for the first time since 1998, and I didn't miss it at all. Not an autograph guy, so the sessions have always been the main attraction for me. If you allow me to go to one session, any one session of the three for a reasonable price, I'll come back. Otherwise, money goes back in the pocket for an extra game later in the season.

Absolutely.

The Sox are EXTREMELY close to pricing me out of the event I've attended every year since 1993. This will be my 19th consecutive SoxFest and while I'm looking forward to that little weekend getaway, I'm also stressing about how it's going to effect my checking account once I pay my friend who booked our hotel package.

That was the other great thing about the Hyatt - the Atrium bar ruled for that purpose.

It totally did. The atmosphere in the Atrium Bar during SoxFest was like none other. I miss having that. While Miller's Pub is cool and has excellent food, the ambiance is nowhere near that of the Atrium Bar.

wonder how the premium upgrade pass is selling this year?

For an extra $225 per person? Probably not too well.

salty99
01-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Bug Selig is attending Friday night, sales are sure to skyrocket!!!

yazz32
01-10-2012, 04:24 PM

More info on Selig attending Soxfest..

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/whitesox-talk/post/Selig-to-attend-SoxFest?blockID=628430&feedID=661&awid=4960472840173665781-915

eriqjaffe
01-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Heh

I think they're only bringing him in so that there is someone who gets booed louder than Williams.

tstrike2000
01-10-2012, 06:04 PM

Is he announcing that MLB is adopting the NBA's amnesty rule that will allow us to get rid of Adam Dunn?

chisoxfanatic
01-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Is he announcing that MLB is adopting the NBA's amnesty rule that will allow us to get rid of Adam Dunn?
I don't follow the NBA. Does the amnesty rule allow a team to back out of a contract when they realize it was a bad idea?

CLUBHOUSE KID
01-11-2012, 10:24 AM
I don't follow the NBA. Does the amnesty rule allow a team to back out of a contract when they realize it was a bad idea?

No, I think it's something like you have a player on your team but he is not on your "payroll". So, he is on the team and you pay him but does not count on your official payroll.

kittle42
01-11-2012, 10:26 AM
No, I think it's something like you have a player on your team but he is not on your "payroll". So, he is on the team and you pay him but does not count on your official payroll.

Meaning he doesn't count toward the cap?

doublem23
01-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Meaning he doesn't count toward the cap?

Essentially; teams wouldn't have to pay luxury taxes on those salaries.

Fenway
01-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Oh the first roundtable should be a doozy

Hawk and Selig will take questions from Sox fans :tongue:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120110&content_id=26300994&vkey=pr_cws&c_id=cws&partnerId=ed-5511360-243148200

BainesHOF
01-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Oh the first roundtable should be a doozy

Hawk and Selig will take questions from Sox fans :tongue:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120110&content_id=26300994&vkey=pr_cws&c_id=cws&partnerId=ed-5511360-243148200

Perhaps. A majority of people head straight to the autograph lines. With less than 200 fans committed to attend Soxfest on Friday at this point, there won't be a big crowd anywhere. The turnout for the commissioner's session could be embarrassing.

Fenway
01-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Perhaps. A majority of people head straight to the autograph lines. With less than 200 fans committed to attend Soxfest on Friday at this point, there won't be a big crowd anywhere. The turnout for the commissioner's session could be embarrassing.

Maybe the concept of having it at an expensive downtown hotel is the wrong approach right now.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/community/sf_splash.jsp

I would assume between the Stadium Club, Conference & Learning Center and club area that are sheltered from the elements you could host SoxFest at the Cell and whatever they charged for tickets could be used to buy tickets in 2012.

The Red Sox do it for Christmas at Fenway.

Now I see they are offering a 7 game package that includes either Opening Day or a Cubs game. That is not a good sign.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/ticketing/ticket_plans.jsp?loc=pick7&partnerId=ed-5511360-243148200

doublem23
01-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Now I see they are offering a 7 game package that includes either Opening Day or a Cubs game. That is not a good sign.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/ticketing/ticket_plans.jsp?loc=pick7&partnerId=ed-5511360-243148200

Oh no, they're offering a flexible, affordable ticket package. Damn those White Sox

Nelfox02
01-11-2012, 10:37 PM

I just find it hard to believe the Friday crowd will be that sparse......I am thinking it ends up like Friday last year, down, but still a decent volume......curious to see how it ends up

shenk16
01-12-2012, 08:32 AM
Also keep in mind that the White Sox organization distributes Friday only passes to sponsors and friends/family of their front office workers. Maybe they'll distribute more of these to ensure that they aren't embarrassed with low attendance in front of the commish?

palehosepub
01-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Also keep in mind that the White Sox organization distributes Friday only passes to sponsors and friends/family of their front office workers. Maybe they'll distribute more of these to ensure that they aren't embarrassed with low attendance in front of the commish?

They used to give free passes and a private autograph signing to season ticket holders, that stopped around 2005. It really made Sox fest enjoyable that you didnt have to wait in long lines for autographs which were usually big name current players and a former Sox star. Got photos & autographs from Buehrle, Ordonez, Rowand, Hoyt, McDowell, etc and then we got to use our time more effectively than standing in lines.

Its a nice perk they should re-instate, at least for the full season ticketholders -that should not be that large of a group.

Golden Sox
01-12-2012, 10:58 AM
I contacted my season ticket agent and told him that buying a 2 day pass is for the birds. He got back to me and said they still might sell one day passes for Saturday. He said he will contact me if that is the case by email.

shenk16
01-12-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm assuming they'll end up doing this if numbers end up looking as terrible as everyone is projecting.

salty99
01-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Yeah I figured they limited sales because Sunday is usually the worst day and most people would just buy the Saturday pass leaving Sunday a ghost town.

yazz32
01-12-2012, 01:16 PM
I just the email this morning from the Palmer House event coordinator confirming my reservation too and again he did not BCC the list. I counted 25 addresses on my email.

I think there has to be more than 30 confirmed hotel reservations..

Lip Man 1
01-13-2012, 12:33 PM
I see where Comcast Sports Chicago is televising the first hour of the Cubs Convention on Friday afternoon. (4PM MST start according to the DirecTV schedule).

I'll be curious if they are going to do the same thing for the Sox. I hope so I'd like to see what it looks like given the reports of very poor potential attendence.

Lip

ChiSoxGirl
01-13-2012, 11:59 PM
I see where Comcast Sports Chicago is televising the first hour of the Cubs Convention on Friday afternoon. (4PM MST start according to the DirecTV schedule).

I'll be curious if they are going to do the same thing for the Sox. I hope so I'd like to see what it looks like given the reports of very poor potential attendence.

Lip

I had both the WGN 9:00 news and the NBC 5 news at 10:00 on tonight and both lead with the Cubs Convention. :rolleyes: Must be a slow news night. Me thinks those same newscasts won't be leading with SoxFest two weeks from tonight!

Fenway
01-14-2012, 12:02 AM

Lip

It is scheduled for 4 PM Chicago time on the 27th

4:00 pm Sox Fest Opening Ceremonies (LIVE)

http://www.csnchicago.com/tvlisting

chisoxfanatic
01-14-2012, 11:15 PM
It is scheduled for 4 PM Chicago time on the 27th

4:00 pm Sox Fest Opening Ceremonies (LIVE)

http://www.csnchicago.com/tvlisting
Does it always start at 4 pm? If so, then ouch! That's not the greatest time to hold it on a Friday!

doublem23
01-14-2012, 11:49 PM
I had both the WGN 9:00 news and the NBC 5 news at 10:00 on tonight and both lead with the Cubs Convention. :rolleyes: Must be a slow news night. Me thinks those same newscasts won't be leading with SoxFest two weeks from tonight!

Well, the Cubs off-season front office shake-up is probably the biggest sports-related story aside from the Bears' crash and burn in the past few months.

DSpivack
01-15-2012, 12:15 AM
Well, the Cubs off-season front office shake-up is probably the biggest sports-related story aside from the Bears' crash and burn in the past few months.

Except for two great teams currently playing. :cool:

doublem23
01-15-2012, 12:36 AM
Except for two great teams currently playing. :cool:

Yeah but the Bulls and the Hawks are just machines right now, you expect them to play as well as they have been. Not much newsworthy there.

For whatever it's worth, just about every Cub fan friend I have has commented on how they feel like they have hope again for the first time in the last few years.

DSpivack
01-15-2012, 12:41 AM
Yeah but the Bulls and the Hawks are just machines right now, you expect them to play as well as they have been. Not much newsworthy there.

For whatever it's worth, just about every Cub fan friend I have has commented on how they feel like they have hope again for the first time in the last few years.

Yeah, I know, I'm just relishing in there being two good sports teams during the winter for once. It doesn't seem so long ago that the only thing to look forward to was pitchers and catchers reporting. Now, that can wait.

We Treat'em
01-15-2012, 10:43 AM
With the recent price increase and changes of late, my question is ....Anyone going ? My two cents : I've gone every year, but I'm really on the fence this year. I love my team, the seminars and interacting with current and former players. Someone please talk me into/out of this.

Well I'm going, I think it will be as fun as previous years. I just couldn't say no. Really looking foward to it, a nice event to get primed for spring.

ChiSoxGirl
01-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Well I'm going, I think it will be as fun as previous years. I just couldn't say no. Really looking foward to it, a nice event to get primed for spring.

This is one of the main reasons I go every year. I love SoxFest and am looking forward to my annual weekend spent with fellow Sox fans.

tebman
01-15-2012, 09:11 PM
This is one of the main reasons I go every year. I love SoxFest and am looking forward to my annual weekend spent with fellow Sox fans.

I agree. So much so, in fact, that I ordered my tickets today. :cool:

salty99
01-17-2012, 01:47 PM
1 night hotel stays are now being offered:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120110&content_id=26300994&vkey=pr_cws&c_id=cws

ChiSoxGirl
01-17-2012, 09:45 PM

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120110&content_id=26300994&vkey=pr_cws&c_id=cws

Interesting. I don't think they've done this since SoxFest 2006 when it was last at the Hyatt. The Sox are charging $181 for a one-night hotel stay and forbidding access to Friday evening's events to guests who stay at the hotel that night. I think our two-night stay is somewhere around $300 before taxes, so I guess we're getting a discount....

yazz32
01-17-2012, 10:00 PM

If they are doing this now, it would make sense to sell Saturday only passes instead of the two day (Sat/Sun) passes also.

Maybe SoxFest attendance really is going to be down this year..

ChiSoxGirl
01-17-2012, 10:05 PM
If they are doing this now, it would make sense to sell Saturday only passes instead of the two day (Sat/Sun) passes also.

Maybe SoxFest attendance really is going to be down this year.

If true, this would be good for the people who will be attending.

GoGoCrede
01-17-2012, 10:07 PM
I really like the Palmer House Hilton, was surprised to hear that many did not like it as the new location. Was the previous location better?

Nelfox02
01-17-2012, 11:08 PM
I really like the Palmer House Hilton, was surprised to hear that many did not like it as the new location. Was the previous location better?

Just my opinion-----but the previous hotel (Hyatt) was a much better fit for an event like Sox Fest. the convention area/rooms were much larger, so other than the grand ball room which typically housed an autograph starge, all of Sox Fest was in one one large open area on the lower level.

the palmer house has grown on me over the years, but I still prefer the Hyatt

Milw
01-18-2012, 05:48 PM
As someone who really likes Palmer House generally, the Hyatt Regency was absolutely better. (To be fair, I haven't gone to SoxFest since the first year at Palmer, so I'm speaking based off that, but it doesn't sound like it's changed much.)

I'm (admittedly selfishly) hoping SoxFest attendance is way down this year. I miss it, but they really ruined a good thing, in my personal opinion, when they switched sites and jacked up the prices. I'd love to be able to take my kids to it someday, but they have to return to a sensible pricing structure.

russ99
01-18-2012, 06:53 PM
A little over a week to go. I wonder if Kenny will spring one of his pre-SoxFest deals to add to the buzz a bit.

CSN is saying that the Sox were close on Kerry Wood - thank goodness that didn't happen... So at least Kenny is out there looking for something.

yazz32
01-19-2012, 05:40 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120119&content_id=26393694&vkey=pr_cws&c_id=cws

Looks like Sat only passes will become available now too..

The Chicago White Sox will have a limited number of Saturday-only passes to SoxFest 2012 available for purchase only at whitesox.com beginning tomorrow at 10:00 a.m.

Saturday passes are $50, while Two-day passes (good for admission on both Saturday and Sunday) are available for $70 and Sunday-only passes are $35.

soltrain21
01-19-2012, 05:52 PM
A little over a week to go. I wonder if Kenny will spring one of his pre-SoxFest deals to add to the buzz a bit.

CSN is saying that the Sox were close on Kerry Wood - thank goodness that didn't happen... So at least Kenny is out there looking for something.

They need to do something to create some buzz. There is zero in this city right now.

salty99
01-19-2012, 06:50 PM
They need to do something to create some buzz. There is zero in this city right now.

Appreciate The Game!!!

StillMissOzzie
01-19-2012, 09:04 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120119&content_id=26393694&vkey=pr_cws&c_id=cws

Looks like Sat only passes will become available now too..

The Chicago White Sox will have a limited number of Saturday-only passes to SoxFest 2012 available for purchase only at whitesox.com beginning tomorrow at 10:00 a.m.

Saturday passes are $50, while Two-day passes (good for admission on both Saturday and Sunday) are available for $70 and Sunday-only passes are $35.

AM I aging myself by saying that I remember when a pass for the entire weekend was under $50?

SMO
:mad:

GoGoCrede
01-19-2012, 09:05 PM

Free nacho helmets.

chisoxfanatic
01-19-2012, 09:41 PM
I can't understand why the Sox are charging this much. Blackhawks Convention WEEKEND passes will cost $70 this year...And, the past couple years, I've been able to get mine for half price since a friend booked a hotel package and purchased extra weekend passes! Do the Sox allow hotel package guests the opportunity to purchase more passes at a significant discount? If not, it really sounds like the Sox are gouging you guys!

ChiSoxGirl
01-19-2012, 10:02 PM
AM I aging myself by saying that I remember when a pass for the entire weekend was under $50?

SMO
:mad:

If you're dating yourself, then so am I because I remember when four weekend passes were INCLUDED with the price of the hotel package! Ah, the memories of the Hyatt.

I can't understand why the Sox are charging this much. Blackhawks Convention WEEKEND passes will cost $70 this year...And, the past couple years, I've been able to get mine for half price since a friend booked a hotel package and purchased extra weekend passes! Do the Sox allow hotel package guests the opportunity to purchase more passes at a significant discount? If not, it really sounds like the Sox are gouging you guys!

No. The only "discount" we got on the whole deal was $15 off the weekend passes because my friend who booked it is a season ticket holder. She was contacted by her rep. in early September about the savings, but in order to qualify for the "discount," we had to book in mid-September, which I wasn't thrilled about. Our original plan was to wait 'til after Christmas to book, since I had a feeling hotel packages wouldn't be sold out, but we couldn't pass up the "discount," even if it was minimal.

Foulke You
01-19-2012, 11:13 PM
I can't understand why the Sox are charging this much. Blackhawks Convention WEEKEND passes will cost $70 this year...
It really boggles the mind. I used to love going when it was at the Hyatt but I just can't afford this. It should not cost $35-50 per person to enter a fan convention. $70-100 for my wife and I to go and that is before we even buy anything. I could buy an authentic Sox jersey for that price or two lower level seats to a Sox vs. Yankees game next season. It sucks because I used to love going to the fest.:(:

Viva Medias B's
01-20-2012, 10:03 AM
It really boggles the mind. I used to love going when it was at the Hyatt but I just can't afford this. It should not cost $35-50 per person to enter a fan convention. $70-100 for my wife and I to go and that is before we even buy anything. I could buy an authentic Sox jersey for that price or two lower level seats to a Sox vs. Yankees game next season. It sucks because I used to love going to the fest.:(:

I used to stay at the Hyatt every year when SoxFest was there. However, the experience at the Palmer House is just too expensive for me. I don't mind dropping $50 for the Saturday session, which I cannot do this year because I'm busy this weekend. However, my staying days at the hotel are over.

salty99
01-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Early schedule: http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/

soxfanreggie
01-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Free nacho helmets.

Spot on GoGo, that would be GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAATT TTTTTTTT! (best Tony the Tiger voice there).

chisox12
01-20-2012, 02:58 PM

Yeah, its pretty surprising how expensive these tickets are. Especially with the state of this team right now....no interest at all in going to this.

chisoxfanatic
01-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Early schedule: http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/
Saw that posted on Facebook. It looks like they're going to be milking that 2005 World Series for a long time...just trying to get minds off of the state of the current team, which doesn't look like it will be pretty for a very long time. I hope it doesn't take them another 88 years to win another title.

Foulke You
01-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Yeah, its pretty surprising how expensive these tickets are. Especially with the state of this team right now....no interest at all in going to this.
I almost forgot about the TM convenience fees too. Tack on another $5.50 per ticket on top of the face value. In reality, it is $40.50 per person to attend on Sunday and $55.50 per person to attend on Saturday.

Viva Medias B's
01-20-2012, 09:12 PM
One of the biggest things I miss about SoxFest not being at the Hyatt is the atrium bar. Back then, the fans got to mingle (and party) with players and other White Sox personnel there. Now, at the Palmer House, there is no atrium bar where fans and players mingle.

Meanwhile, I wonder if KW got lit up at the seminar tonight.

DirtySox
01-20-2012, 09:20 PM
One of the biggest things I miss about SoxFest not being at the Hyatt is the atrium bar. Back then, the fans got to mingle (and party) with players and other White Sox personnel there. Now, at the Palmer House, there is no atrium bar where fans and players mingle.

Meanwhile, I wonder if KW got lit up at the seminar tonight.

Soxfest is next week.

I wonder if it will be a ghost town.

Viva Medias B's
01-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Soxfest is next week.

I wonder if it will be a ghost town.

Oops. My bad.

sachin
01-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Do Sox players go to anyplace after SoxFest, like Miller's Pub, etc.?

DumpJerry
01-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Do Sox players go to anyplace after SoxFest, like Miller's Pub, etc.?
Nope. They beam back up to the Mothership.

DSpivack
01-20-2012, 10:09 PM
Nope. They beam back up to the Mothership.

http://www.gbposters.com/images/gbposters-com/lightbox/b7f7/20430/FP2449-TOY-STORY-3-aliens.jpg

Appreciate the Game?

beasly213
01-21-2012, 02:54 PM
I'm considering going on Sunday. I'd like to get Joe Crede to sign my World series photo...

BainesHOF
01-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Williams is only appearing at a seminar on the state of the team on Friday. In the past, he's also appeared at one Saturday. It's cool that he meets with the fans at all, but it would be nice if he also took questions from the Saturday crowd this year. I view this as a semi-dodge on his part.

The "From the Draft to the Big Leagues" seminar with Rick Hahn, Buddy Bell and Doug Laumann on Sunday has come to be meaningless considering the sorry state of the minor league system. The B.S. should be flying at this one. Williams should appear at this one to explain why the organization has been so horrible in this department. I'd be curious to know how draft day goes down and who has what influence on our selections.

CLUBHOUSE KID
01-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Williams is only appearing at a seminar on the state of the team on Friday. In the past, he's also appeared at one Saturday. It's cool that he meets with the fans at all, but it would be nice if he also took questions from the Saturday crowd this year. I view this as a semi-dodge on his part.

The "From the Draft to the Big Leagues" seminar with Rick Hahn, Buddy Bell and Doug Laumann on Sunday has come to be meaningless considering the sorry state of the minor league system. The B.S. should be flying at this one. Williams should appear at this one to explain why the organization has been so horrible in this department. I'd be curious to know how draft day goes down and who has what influence on our selections.

Agreed with all of this. Generally, most of the Baseball Operations Department sit down and discuss all of the options for the draft. Guess the White Sox either needs BETTER scouts/people in that department or MORE of them. Maybe even both.

DirtySox
01-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Agreed with all of this. Generally, most of the Baseball Operations Department sit down and discuss all of the options for the draft. Guess the White Sox either needs BETTER scouts/people in that department or MORE of them. Maybe even both.

Both. And the whole you know, not spending any money at all on the draft. Thanks Jerry.

Milw
01-21-2012, 04:33 PM
Both. And the whole you know, not spending any money at all on the draft. Thanks Jerry.
If there's indeed a finite budget for total baseball operations--which is a totally reasonable thing--I'd much prefer the Sox to spend overwhelmingly on the MLB payroll than on the minors and the draft. But I know that's a minority opinion, since so many on here wish we were the Royals.

DirtySox
01-21-2012, 05:02 PM
If there's indeed a finite budget for total baseball operations--which is a totally reasonable thing--I'd much prefer the Sox to spend overwhelmingly on the MLB payroll than on the minors and the draft. But I know that's a minority opinion, since so many on here wish we were the Royals.

Hyperbole is great isn't it? I don't think people realize how much difference an extra $3 to $5 million spent on the draft would have done every year. It's hardly breaking the bank. If it must have been subtracted from the payroll every year, so be it. It's nothing. It's the cost of a middling reliever. Ones that could be easily replaced internally at a savings by spending on the draft and player development. Imagine that!

Golden Sox
01-21-2012, 05:23 PM
At least he's showing up for one night. After the White Sox made the White Flag trade, Ron Schueler didn't show up at the next Soxfest.

CLUBHOUSE KID
01-21-2012, 06:23 PM

This is my take. IF you spend properly on the MLB payroll, you can get away with not drafting as well as other teams. To an extent, you can't because worse teams get higher picks and if you spend wisely, bigger payroll teams will play better.

With that said, it is a good idea to spend a good amount of money on scouting/baseball ops because you can't rely on FA all the time either because nobody is on the market or held hostage for awful contracts (WSox know about this from the past 2 seasons). Even A-Rod who I would take over Dunn/Rios is still a crazy contract.

The best thing to do is find the right mix between payroll on the ML roster and scouting to get those young guys found and developed. Since it's usually one or the other, I would still pick payroll BUT spent wisely. Remember, teams scout ML talent too.

Golden Sox
01-24-2012, 09:14 AM
I just read that the new ownership in Houston has decided to lower the ticket prices for the upcoming 2012 season in Houston. Last years $46 ticket is now going for $35 and you get a credit for $15 worth of food and souvenirs with the ticket. The worse seat in the house will cost $5 and $1 for kids. Perhaps somebody will suggest this at Soxfest at one of the seminars. Lowering ticket prices would certainly be a popular move on behalf of the White Sox. I take it the White Sox don't have much of an advance sale for the upcoming year. I know the White Sox have lowered some of there ticket prices to some degree, but lowering them radically like Houston has done would get more people in the park this year.

russ99
01-24-2012, 09:39 AM
I just read that the new ownership in Houston has decided to lower the ticket prices for the upcoming 2012 season in Houston. Last years $46 ticket is now going for $35 and you get a credit for $15 worth of food and souvenirs with the ticket. The worse seat in the house will cost $5 and $1 for kids. Perhaps somebody will suggest this at Soxfest at one of the seminars. Lowering ticket prices would certainly be a popular move on behalf of the White Sox. I take it the White Sox don't have much of an advance sale for the upcoming year. I know the White Sox have lowered some of there ticket prices to some degree, but lowering them radically like Houston has done would get more people in the park this year.

Well that has more to do with owner Jim Crane playing nice with the fans who are angry with him for accepting Bud's forced move to the AL West than anything else, though it can't hurt in this economy.

Also, if Dunn can show up all weekend and face the music, then Kenny could be more available too...

chisoxfanatic
01-24-2012, 09:40 AM
That should also include parking. Since I live just a 10-minute walk from the ballpark, it doesn't impact me. But, I really feel for the people who must park for the games, as it basically adds the price of a game ticket to their night!

russ99
01-24-2012, 09:45 AM
That should also include parking. Since I live just a 10-minute walk from the ballpark, it doesn't impact me. But, I really feel for the people who must park for the games, as it basically adds the price of a game ticket to their night!

Interesting point. Do the Sox control the parking prices or does the facility?

However, parking is expensive everywhere, such as the garages downtown and places like the Museum of Science and Industry. Not sure if the Sox are really that much more expensive.

Domeshot17
01-24-2012, 09:52 AM
I am really glad I am not going now. Just looked at the schedule and only Crede and Thomas from the 05 team are signing.

salty99
01-24-2012, 10:10 AM
I am really glad I am not going now. Just looked at the schedule and only Crede and Thomas from the 05 team are signing.

The final schedule isn't even out yet.

#1swisher
01-24-2012, 02:06 PM
CST_soxvan

Comcast Sports Net and CSNChicago.com to carry live opening
ceremonies coverage of "SoxFest2012" friday 4pm

Brian26
01-24-2012, 08:35 PM

The final schedule isn't even out yet.

Correct. You think the Sox are going to fly Politte and Cotts in for one seminar and not have them sign any autographs? They'll probably sign Sat & Sunday.

yazz32
01-24-2012, 09:45 PM
Final Schedule is out

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/community/sf_schedule.jsp

Brian26
01-24-2012, 10:04 PM
I'm going to try to get Farmer to sign an Al Cowens photo on Sunday.

:farmer
"I won't sign that or wear socks."

BainesHOF
01-24-2012, 11:30 PM
Final Schedule is out

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/community/sf_schedule.jsp

And the number of autographs continues to dwindle.

Brian26
01-24-2012, 11:32 PM

Peavy not even signing.

Konerko and AJ gone by Sunday. Although, Konerko's paid his dues over the past decade. He used to show up early on Sunday morning for the 9am session where he'd sign 300 autographs. He's probably signed 5,000 autographs at Soxfest in the past 12 years, so I think he's earned his right to leave a day early.

BainesHOF
01-24-2012, 11:52 PM
Peavy not even signing.

FYI, Peavy is signing in a Saturday session with Crain.

ChiSoxGirl
01-25-2012, 10:55 AM

Tell me about it. Back in the day, big-name players like Thomas, Ventura, Konerko, etc. used to sign at least 350 autographs and actually, that number was usually closer to or surpassed 400.

Truthfully, I'm very unimpressed by this year's lineup. Maybe that's because it's missing fan favorites and SoxFest regulars like Buehrls and Quentin, but I just feel very 'meh' about this year's schedule. Additionally, I'm extremely disappointed that Robin only has ONE signing for those of us who aren't paying an additional $225 (or whatever it is) for the MVP pass. Why is your new manager and a fan-favorite like Ventura only on the schedule once during the whole weekend? And as for his slot on the schedule, it's on Sunday -- the day I have to leave early, due to a mandatory school function.

I'm glad there's going to be a seminar with Brooks Boyer. I'm strongly considering airing my frustrations about SoxFest and how we're still paying championship prices for a team that will not be championship-caliber. I get why they jacked the prices up for SoxFest 2006, but the fact that we're paying the same, if not more, six years later is ridiculous. I think I may also consider asking if they've entertained the idea of switching the venue back to the Hyatt or elsewhere altogether. Wasn't their contract with the Palmer House through 2012?

tstrike2000
01-25-2012, 10:58 AM
Tell me about it. Back in the day, big-name players like Thomas, Ventura, Konerko, etc. used to sign at least 350 autographs and actually, that number was usually closer to or surpassed 400.

Truthfully, I'm very unimpressed by this year's lineup. Maybe that's because it's missing fan favorites and SoxFest regulars like Buehrls and Quentin, but I just feel very 'meh' about this year's schedule. Additionally, I'm extremely disappointed that Robin only has ONE signing for those of us who aren't paying an additional $225 (or whatever it is) for the MVP pass. Why is your new manager and a fan-favorite like Ventura only on the schedule once during the whole weekend? And as for his slot on the schedule, it's on Sunday -- the day I have to leave early, due to a mandatory school function.

I'm glad there's going to be a seminar with Brooks Boyer. I'm strongly considering airing my frustrations about SoxFest and how we're still paying championship prices for a team that will not be championship-caliber. I get why they jacked the prices up for SoxFest 2006, but the fact that we're paying the same, if not more, six years later is ridiculous. I think I may also consider asking if they've entertained the idea of switching the venue back to the Hyatt or elsewhere altogether. Wasn't their contract with the Palmer House through 2012?

That's right! I want to see you up at the microphone cracking some skulls!

CLUBHOUSE KID
01-25-2012, 01:40 PM
I will be working the Comcast SportsNet booth Saturday and Sunday if anybody wants to stop by. I believe that is an autograph booth.

hi im skot
01-25-2012, 01:42 PM
I will be working the Comcast SportsNet booth Saturday and Sunday if anybody wants to stop by. I believe that is an autograph booth.

Will you be signing?

CLUBHOUSE KID
01-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Will you be signing?

I can if you want me to.

Golden Sox
01-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Why not have Soxfest at the Cell in the future? If my memory serves me correct, the year of the strike, they had it at the Cell and called it Winterfest. Its more convenient having it at the Cell plus you have the parking there. The more I'm thinking about this, the more sense it makes to me. Have Soxfest at the Cell on Saturday and Sunday only. Enough people have complained about the hotel costs at the Palmer House this year. I take it not many people have signed up for the hotel package this year, so why even have it in the future? The hard core fans would come to the Cell like myself. It would be more convenient and cheaper for the fans.

Brian26
01-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Why not have Soxfest at the Cell in the future? If my memory serves me correct, the year of the strike, they had it at the Cell and called it Winterfest. Its more convenient having it at the Cell plus you have the parking there. The more I'm thinking about this, the more sense it makes to me. Have Soxfest at the Cell on Saturday and Sunday only. Enough people have complained about the hotel costs at the Palmer House this year. I take it not many people have signed up for the hotel package this year, so why even have it in the future? The hard core fans would come to the Cell like myself. It would be more convenient and cheaper for the fans.

You're all over the map here.

The hardcore fans already go to Soxfest...at the Palmer House. If your idea is to make it "cheaper", then you're trying to bring in more casual fans. If that's the case, if Soxfest attendance were to increase, the last place you would want to have it is at the Cell.

What's your idea? To have it on the cold concourses in the middle of January? Or crammed into the Club Level? That would be an unmitigated disaster since the Club Level is nothing more than a 20-ft wide hallway. There's a bit more room underneath the stands along the main tunnel near the Clubhouses, but its cold and uninviting and certainly nowhere I'd want to stand (on concrete floors) for several hours, and there are no large meeting rooms to hold hundreds of people for the seminars and town hall meetings.

Soxfest, in its current form, is one of the best fan conventions in all of sports. It is not free, but part of the cost of going guarantees an intimate atmosphere and guaranteed interaction with the team. I think its a fair trade-off if you're interested in this kind of stuff.

Vernam
01-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Will you be signing?

:redneck

I'm not interested in much about the fest, but I'd be curious about how it goes for Dunn. Wouldn't blame people for razzing him, but I respect his not making excuses for such a pathetic season. I'm doubtful he can bounce back, but it would be great to see.

Vernam

Brian26
01-25-2012, 08:41 PM
Why not have Soxfest at the Cell in the future? If my memory serves me correct, the year of the strike, they had it at the Cell and called it Winterfest.

What did this consist of? It's not part of Soxfest history (they skipped from 94 to 96 with the pins they made). I'm assuming no players were there, but is that correct? In the 1995 Sox yearbook, no players are featured, as at the time they printed, they didnt know if the season would be played, and, if so, if scab players would be on the teams.

Vernam
01-25-2012, 09:42 PM
What did this consist of? It's not part of Soxfest history (they skipped from 94 to 96 with the pins they made). I'm assuming no players were there, but is that correct? In the 1995 Sox yearbook, no players are featured, as at the time they printed, they didnt know if the season would be played, and, if so, if scab players would be on the teams.

ScabFest has a nice ring to it. I'd go see that, if it didn't involve crossing a picket line.

Vernam

We Treat'em
01-25-2012, 10:31 PM
So knowing what we know about the SoxFest schedule, what was my reason for getting my week-end pass and hotel room? The fact that Thomas, Ventura or even Dunn is not signing on Friday or is it the super sweet Crede bobblehead ? :angry:

ChiSoxGirl
01-26-2012, 10:51 AM
So knowing what we know about the SoxFest schedule, what was my reason for getting my week-end pass and hotel room? The fact that Thomas, Ventura or even Dunn is not signing on Friday or is it the super sweet Crede bobblehead ? :angry:

That's how they get us. Even though I've gone to SoxFest since 1993, I wouldn't have committed to it as soon as I did this year, had I known what the schedule was going to look like. As I said in a previous post, I'm very uninspired by this weekend's lineup.

tstrike2000
01-26-2012, 11:04 AM
That's how they get us. Even though I've gone to SoxFest since 1993, I wouldn't have committed to it as soon as I did this year, had I known what the schedule was going to look like. As I said in a previous post, I'm very uninspired by this weekend's lineup.

Guess I'll just have to talk to you and that Brian guy a little more at this year's Soxfest.

CLUBHOUSE KID
01-26-2012, 12:17 PM
My booth will have the older guys like Baines and Melton and such.

ohiosoxfan
01-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but on the Sox Facebook page, you can now purchase Saturday only passes for $50. Sorry if this has already been pointed out.

October26
01-26-2012, 08:43 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but on the Sox Facebook page, you can now purchase Saturday only passes for $50. Sorry if this has already been pointed out.

Great-thanks! I saw this on the Sox Facebook page earlier today and purchased the Saturday pass. This will be my 3rd Soxfest (2003, 2006, & 2012) and I'm glad to be able to go for at least one day.

Golden Sox
01-27-2012, 02:19 PM
I was hoping Ken Williams would announce some sort of trade or signing right before Soxfest 2012. Anything to help create some buzz about the team and upcoming season. But so far, nothing.

DirtySox
01-27-2012, 02:26 PM
I was hoping Ken Williams would announce some sort of trade or signing right before Soxfest 2012. Anything to help create some buzz about the team and upcoming season. But so far, nothing.

I think any trade will come afterwards. Especially since Kenny is looking for prospects in a Gavin Floyd trade. No need to potentially upset the crowd by subtracting more pieces from the MLB roster.

Though I suppose a Gerardo Concepcion signing might happen but that's not something that will create much buzz.

#1swisher
01-27-2012, 05:00 PM
CST_soxvan

Comcast Sports Net and CSNChicago.com to carry live opening
ceremonies coverage of "SoxFest2012" friday 4pm

Here's the online link

Live feed (http://www.csnchicago.com/live_whitesox?awid=6461637114772940046-914)

EDIT: Selig is stuck in traffic

ChiSoxGal85
01-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Lots of tweeting going on from various sources. Doug Padilla says more people at the opening ceremonies than last year.

As much as I feel kinda ho-hum about this season...I'd kinda like to be there.

kufram
01-27-2012, 05:24 PM

This will be unpopular but I hope to God that KW doesn't make a trade just to create a "buzz" at Soxfest.

#1swisher
01-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Joe Crede only one to get a standing O! :gulp:

EDIT: and Robin Ventura

ChiSoxGal85
01-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Joe Crede only one to get a standing O! :gulp:

Robin got a BIG ovation.

Edit: and KW got some boos

palehosepub
01-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Robin, Joe Crede, and Harold all got strong ovations- besides being good to very good ballplayers what do they have in common - all three are class acts that always represented the White Sox well.

hi im skot
01-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Edit: and KW got some boos

That'll show him!

DirtySox
01-27-2012, 06:37 PM
ESPNChiSox Doug Padilla
Kenny says no money left, not even to add a utility guy. This is your team Sox fans.
1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

mzh
01-27-2012, 06:43 PM
ESPNChiSox Doug Padilla
Kenny says no money left, not even to add a utility guy. This is your team Sox fans.
1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply
I guess this means we're safely out of the Cespedes running.

Brian26
01-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Unbelievable, Joe Cowley just sat down next to me. Wearing an Ed Hardy shirt.

Brian26
01-27-2012, 06:48 PM
I asked Cowley if he was surprised they let him in the hotel. He said Kenny won't talk to him or Phil Rogers.

DirtySox
01-27-2012, 06:50 PM
I guess this means we're safely out of the Cespedes running.

He played coy on the Cubans. I'd wager Concepcion, and maybe Soler. They aren't favorites for Cespedes according to most. Cubs are in the lead for him.

Brian26
01-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Beckham and Alexei signing earlier.

ilsox7
01-27-2012, 07:03 PM
I asked Cowley if he was surprised they let him in the hotel. He said Kenny won't talk to him or Phil Rogers.

Good for Kenny! Glad he refuses to talk to some of the idiots in town.

Foulke You
01-27-2012, 07:05 PM
I can't say I blame KW. Those two would find a way to savage him in a column if he helped an old lady across the street. Cowley is becoming increasingly comical in his daily KW pinata article. It is so obviously personal between the two of them now.

ChiSoxGal85
01-27-2012, 07:11 PM
Good. Who could take Cowley seriously? He's in Ozzie's pocket.

Saufley
01-27-2012, 07:15 PM
I wouldn't even talk to Phil Rogers. Who would?

Saufley
01-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Cubs in the running for Cespedes. Just like they were touted for Pujols and Fielder. More garbage out of Wrigley to get their free publicity.

Tannerfan
01-27-2012, 07:19 PM
Being in Los Angeles, it's great to get Fest updates from all of you who are there. Please keep them coming!

KMcMahon817
01-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Any sighting of Adam Dunn yet?

DirtySox
01-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Any sighting of Adam Dunn yet?

He was delayed and isn't showing up until tomorrow I believe.

KMcMahon817
01-27-2012, 07:41 PM
He was delayed and isn't showing up until tomorrow I believe.

Gracias, Dirty. Wish I could be there.

DirtySox
01-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Gracias, Dirty. Wish I could be there.

I'm not there. Just twitter updates while I wait for the Bulls game. The beat guys do a decent job covering it.

anewman35
01-27-2012, 08:18 PM

It was called the Winter Warm-Up. I recall really liking it, since there were tours of things like the Clubhouses and Dugouts that normally you'd never have access to. Searching "White Sox Winter Warm-Up 1995" gets you a few quotes from the Tribune about it. Apparently tickets cost $5 (which I remembered), Minnie Minoso and other former players signed autographs, and it was a Saturday/Sunday event with 5000+ tickets that was sold out.

EDIT: I found some more quotes. Other people who were there (or scheduled to be, at least): Gene Lamont, Bill Melton and Carlos May, and they also had a garage sale of equipment and promotional items.

WhiteSox5187
01-27-2012, 08:44 PM

I can appreciate that Kenny might not like these guys and I can't say I blame him but part of Kenny's job is to talk to the press and if he is not going to talk to people because he thinks they are being too critical or whatever, then he might not talk to too many people soon. Kenny can be just as childish and immature as Ozzie, Kenny just doesn't use social media as much as Ozzie does.

Brian26
01-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Konerko's a class act, as usual. Asked me where to sign on the ball.

Lillibridge is awesome. Super cool guy - I told him the catches in NY were probably the highlight of the season. He said, "yeah, shows you how bad a season it was!"

Danks is sick. Dunn is late. Widger supposedly cancelled.

Brian26
01-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Seminar with Konerko, Alexei and Beckham.

Alexei says the team is hungry and young and ready to win.

Beckham says Jeter was his idol growing up and also gets a laugh because he was five years old when Konerko started.

Brian26
01-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Konerko says Mattingly was his idol growing up.

Frontman
01-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Konerko says Mattingly was his idol growing up.

One classy player trying to be like another classy player. Certainly couldn't go wrong looking up to Mattingly.

DSpivack
01-27-2012, 09:59 PM
One classy player trying to be like another classy player. Certainly couldn't go wrong looking up to Mattingly.

Was Mattingly a relatively quiet guy, a la Paulie?

WhiteSox5187
01-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Seminar with Konerko, Alexei and Beckham.

Alexei says the team is hungry and young and ready to win.

Beckham says Jeter was his idol growing up and also gets a laugh because he was five years old when Konerko started.

Not to sound more ignorant than I already am, but does Alexei speak English?

Frontman
01-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Was Mattingly a relatively quiet guy, a la Paulie?

Don't know. But how Mattingly went about his business as a ballplayer always struck me as a professional.

ChiSoxGal85
01-27-2012, 10:05 PM
Not to sound more ignorant than I already am, but does Alexei speak English?
Then I'm ignorant too because I was gonna ask the same thing. :redface: Did he use an interpreter?

mzh
01-27-2012, 10:09 PM
Then I'm ignorant too because I was gonna ask the same thing. :redface: Did he use an interpreter?
I've met him a couple times and he usually has an interpreter with him. I don't think he speaks much.

Brian26
01-27-2012, 10:42 PM
There was an interpreter on stage with him. A little awkward, but it worked.

WhiteSox5187
01-27-2012, 10:51 PM
I've met him a couple times and he usually has an interpreter with him. I don't think he speaks much.

I heard him once in a commercial with Ed Farmer, it didn't sound great.

Viva Medias B's
01-27-2012, 10:53 PM
This is the exact time I really miss about SoxFest, after hours. Back in the earlier days of SoxFest, we'd all be at the atrium bar hanging out with the players. Ditto for Saturday night after the family pizza party.

Lamp81
01-28-2012, 12:58 AM
It was called the Winter Warm-Up. I recall really liking it, since there were tours of things like the Clubhouses and Dugouts that normally you'd never have access to. Searching "White Sox Winter Warm-Up 1995" gets you a few quotes from the Tribune about it. Apparently tickets cost $5 (which I remembered), Minnie Minoso and other former players signed autographs, and it was a Saturday/Sunday event with 5000+ tickets that was sold out.

EDIT: I found some more quotes. Other people who were there (or scheduled to be, at least): Gene Lamont, Bill Melton and Carlos May, and they also had a garage sale of equipment and promotional items.

I remember visiting the Clubhouses and equipment rooms. In the Bullpen Sports Bar, my wife got picked to be in a Sox trivia contest with Bill Melton as her partner. With help from me, she lip-read answers and won a Purple Miller Lite Sox hat.

Got to meet: Melton, Kittle, Hawk, Farmer, Lamont, and Bevington. Nice experience.

gobears1987
01-28-2012, 06:36 AM

I don't know about that. Mattingly had those sideburns...

Brian26
01-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Celebrity sighting at Soxfest.

DumpJerry
01-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Got to meet: and Bevington. Nice experience.
Did he call for the rightly warming up?

palehosepub
01-28-2012, 11:06 AM
any reports from the game used garage sale?

October26
01-28-2012, 11:20 AM
Here at SoxFest, attending the: "Your 2012 White Sox" seminar with Hawk, Robin, Coop, Manto, & Parent. It is so good to see Robin back with the Sox and he received another warm welcome (applause & standing ovation). :D:

yazz32
01-28-2012, 11:33 AM
So far seems attendance is down for years past...

Brian26
01-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Widger and Politte were there in the morning. AJ in rare form. Thornton said Putz still bugs him via text all the time.

ChiSoxGal85
01-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Here at SoxFest, attending the: "Your 2012 White Sox" seminar with Hawk, Robin, Coop, Manto, & Parent. It is so good to see Robin back with the Sox and he received another warm welcome (applause & standing ovation). :D:
Awesome! Keep us posted. Do you plan to get any signatures?

I'm started to get antsy for White Sox baseball. I'm watching Zach Stewart's near no-hitter from last year. Partly because I gotta clean off the DVR!

Brian26
01-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Sale said he thinks he can pitch 200 innings, but his highest ever is 140.

Stone thinks Peavy will have a good year and a #1 (contract year). Stone likes major league staff but won't comment on farm system.

Brian26
01-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Stone is such an ass.

"A lot of you don't know that Juan Pierre was the highest run producer with runners in scoring position, by fifty points. And, a lot of you don't know..."

sox1970
01-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Sale said he thinks he can pitch 200 innings, but his highest ever is 140.

Stone thinks Peavy will have a good year and a #1 (contract year). Stone likes major league staff but won't comment on farm system.

I'm glad he has that confidence, but there's no way he'll be given that opportunity. If they skip him a few times in the first half, and pull him early in the few games where he doesn't have it, they should be able to get him to about 160-170 innings, in 28-30 starts.

DirtySox
01-28-2012, 12:40 PM
Stone likes major league staff but won't comment on farm system.

Nice.

Stone is awesome.

Brian26
01-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Will Ohman is surprisingly funny and elloquent. Guy is fun to listen to.

tstrike2000
01-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Stone is such an ass.

"A lot of you don't know that Juan Pierre was the highest run producer with runners in scoring position, by fifty points. And, a lot of you don't know..."

Yikes, must've just missed Stone saying after being in the 2012 White Sox seminar with the coaching staff.

DirtySox
01-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Dunn does look thinner. And we have a winner between the conflicting sources.

Brian26
01-28-2012, 12:58 PM
Dunn looks like he's dropped 20 pounds.

Lip Man 1
01-28-2012, 01:17 PM
According to Gonzo, Cooper said the only open positions on the staff are three bullpen spots.

Lip

DirtySox
01-28-2012, 01:18 PM
According to Gonzo, Cooper said the only open positions on the staff are three bullpen spots.

Lip

He also pretty much said Reed was a lock for the pen. Though most people might have assumed that already.

sox1970
01-28-2012, 01:28 PM
He also pretty much said Reed was a lock for the pen. Though most people might have assumed that already.

By the time they get to the off day in spring training, Reed will be the closer. That's my hope at least.

DirtySox
01-28-2012, 01:31 PM
By the time they get to the off day in spring training, Reed will be the closer. That's my hope at least.

I'd rather them try to increase Thornton or Crain's trade value via the closer role while Reed gets some seasoning. If he takes over at some point in the season, that's cool too. Though I have a feeling the closer spot will largely be irrelevant in what should be a rebuilding year.

October26
01-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Awesome! Keep us posted. Do you plan to get any signatures?

I'm started to get antsy for White Sox baseball. I'm watching Zach Stewart's near no-hitter from last year. Partly because I gotta clean off the DVR!

Thanks. I'm in White Sox Paradise! It is so great to see the players, coaches & just be here with all of these wonderful Sox fans for one day. I've been in the seminars this morning and am going to try & get autographs this afternoon. And I know what you mean - I'm also getting antsy for White Sox baseball.

That's great that you're watching the Stewart near no hitter right now. :smile:

Brian26
01-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Peavy and Crain. I told Peavy he was going to win the Cy Young this year. Trying to build his confidence. He responsed with his glassy eyed-half stoner stare, "thanks man...I appreciate that.". Super Joe in the house too.

DirtySox
01-28-2012, 01:43 PM
One of the best tweets I've read this Soxfest.

Doug Padilla
Fan: How do you deal with struggling high salary players? Robin: Invite him to the bench.
2 hours ago via Echofon Favorite Retweet Reply

JB98
01-28-2012, 01:56 PM
I'd rather them try to increase Thornton or Crain's trade value via the closer role while Reed gets some seasoning. If he takes over at some point in the season, that's cool too. Though I have a feeling the closer spot will largely be irrelevant in what should be a rebuilding year.

I agree 100 percent. I know a lot of fans are still stung by Thornton's failure in the closer's role last year, but we all need to change our mindsets a little bit. We haven't had a "rebuilding year" around here for a long time. For basically the last decade, we've been in "win now" mode. Not so this year, and we have to stop thinking in those terms.

This year is more about building for a better tomorrow. To me, this season is not about Dunn, Peavy and Rios. It's not about who is going to close for a team that is expected to finish up the track. It's more about Beckham, Morel, Viciedo, Sale, Flowers and Reed. Are these guys going to be cornerstones for the organization moving forward? Or are they just the latest round of underachieving youngsters? That's the big storyline for the 2012 White Sox, IMO.

If the Tigers have misfortune, and all of our veterans rebound and have good years, and we happen to contend this season, that's a bonus.

tstrike2000
01-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Boo to whomever is allowing the Soxfest MVP participants to cut in line for Frank Thomas in front of everyone that's waited a large portion of the day. They already have several other perks.

Brian26
01-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Awesome seminar with the 05 guys talking about the Oakland game when Widger had to play 3B and Crede played shortstop.

DumpJerry
01-28-2012, 02:32 PM
Peavy and Crain. I told Peavy he was going to win the Cy Young this year. Trying to build his confidence. He responsed with his glassy eyed-half stoner stare, "thanks man...I appreciate that.". Super Joe in the house too.
If I was a player at one of these things, I'd be a zombie, too, with the non-stop line of fans coming up to me.

October26
01-28-2012, 06:15 PM
If I was a player at one of these things, I'd be a zombie, too, with the non-stop line of fans coming up to me.

Funny you should mention that. I'm on my way home with a smile on my face after spending a terrific day at SoxFest. It was really great to meet & speak with some of the WSI'ers who were there. I was only able to get 1 Sox player autograph today (Dayan Viciedo) but it made my day. When it was my turn to get his autograph, I walked up on the stage, introduced myself and as I started speaking to him in spanish, Dayan said to me: You have a Cuban accent! Sure do, I said. We had a short conversation and he told me he was glad to be at SoxFest and meet & greet the fans (he also had a translator). I found Dayan to be personable and friendly. As I left, I wished him "Mucha Suerte" (Good Luck) for the upcoming season.

GoGoCrede
01-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Funny you should mention that. I'm on my way home with a smile on my face after spending a terrific day at SoxFest. It was really great to meet & speak with some of the WSI'ers who were there. I was only able to get 1 Sox player autograph today (Dayan Viciedo) but it made my day. When it was my turn to get his autograph, I walked up on the stage, introduced myself and as I started speaking to him in spanish, Dayan said to me: You have a Cuban accent! Sure do, I said. We had a short conversation and he told me he was glad to be at SoxFest and meet & greet the fans (he also had a translator). I found Dayan to be personable and friendly. As I left, I wished him "Mucha Suerte" (Good Luck) for the upcoming season.

That is very sweet. I bet it made him happy to be able to converse with you without his translator.

CLUBHOUSE KID
01-28-2012, 07:42 PM
Had a great time working with the coaching staff today. The new guys have a great attitude. A bit shy though lol.

BTW, Roland Hemond is one of the nicest person I can think of.

SCCWS
01-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Had a great time working with the coaching staff today. The new guys have a great attitude. A bit shy though lol.

BTW, Roland Hemond is one of the nicest person I can think of.

Obviously, Roland is from Rhode Island, same state as Konerko. Everyone fro RI is nice.

Golden Sox
01-28-2012, 09:08 PM
I don't think I misread the situation, but today at Soxfest it looked to me like it was jam packed with people. The only seminar that really wasn't crowded was the last one at 3PM. Considering they didn't sell Saturday one day tickets until this past week. I was surprised how big the turnout was today.

KMcMahon817
01-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Anyone get any photos of Dunn?

all*star quentin
01-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Anyone get any photos of Dunn?

http://twitpic.com/8csyge

slavko
01-28-2012, 11:15 PM
http://twitpic.com/8csyge

Does that face look thinner?

ChiSoxGal85
01-29-2012, 12:02 AM
Does that face look thinner?
There were a couple of Dunn pix tweeted in which I thought he looked thinner - like this one from Daryl Van Schouwen. (http://t.co/SaNlNHPq)

soltrain21
01-29-2012, 12:17 AM
I'll never boo a man with a beard like that.