PDA

View Full Version : Jose Reyes/Mets tries to back into Batting Title

ComiskeyBrewer
09-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Leading by .0013 going into today, Reyes leads off with a bunt single and then is pulled out of the game. In order for Braun to win the Batting Title, he now needs to go 3-4 to pass him tonight. IMO, it's a bush move on the Mets part. It reminds me of when the Red Sox wanted to pull Ted Williams(70 years ago today, actually) so he could stay above .400, but he wouldn't let them. Twitter has blown up over this. I hope Braun goes 4-4, just to rub it in their noses.

http://bloguin.com/theoutsidecorner/2011-articles/september/the-mets-pulled-jose-reyes-in-the-first-inning-to-help-him-win-a-batting-title-universe-self-destructs.html

EDIT: Can this be moved to talking baseball? I messed up.

doublem23
09-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Who the hell cares, Reyes hit .337 this season, nothing bush league about that. If Braun goes 4-4 then he deserves the batting title. If not, he doesn't.

asindc
09-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Who the hell cares, Reyes hit .337 this season, nothing bush league about that. If Braun goes 4-4 then he deserves the batting title. If not, he doesn't.

It is a bush league move, no less than when Anthony Bowie of the Orlando Magic purposely missed a layup so he could rebound it and get a triple double. A record doesn't mean anything unless it is achieved in the normal course of play.

soltrain21
09-28-2011, 04:15 PM
It is a bush league move, no less than when Anthony Bowie of the Orlando Magic purposely missed a layup so he could rebound it and get a triple double. A record doesn't mean anything unless it is achieved in the normal course of play.

Please, elaborate. How does Jose Reyes hitting .337 over an entire year not qualify as a "normal course of play?"

asindc
09-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Please, elaborate. How does Jose Reyes hitting .337 over an entire year not qualify as a "normal course of play?"

Just as Ted Williams noted that sitting out that last game would be a departure from how he would normally approach that game, Reyes having just one plate appearance and then being pulled is a departure from how he would normally play a game. Neither departure takes place if a record of some sort was not being considered.

blandman
09-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Leading by .0013 going into today, Reyes leads off with a bunt single and then is pulled out of the game. In order for Braun to win the Batting Title, he now needs to go 3-4 to pass him tonight. IMO, it's a bush move on the Mets part. It reminds me of when the Red Sox wanted to pull Ted Williams(70 years ago today, actually) so he could stay above .400, but he wouldn't let them. Twitter has blown up over this. I hope Braun goes 4-4, just to rub it in their noses.

http://bloguin.com/theoutsidecorner/2011-articles/september/the-mets-pulled-jose-reyes-in-the-first-inning-to-help-him-win-a-batting-title-universe-self-destructs.html

EDIT: Can this be moved to talking baseball? I messed up.

This would be easily correctable if Braun had hit for a higher average.

I don't like it either, but Reyes did hit higher in his at bats than Braun did. The bat is in Braun's hands.

Lip Man 1
09-28-2011, 04:51 PM
This has happened before regarding Ty Cobb and Nap Lajoie.

Lip

DSpivack
09-28-2011, 04:53 PM

Didn't Brett Favre lay down on purpose late in a blowout to let Michael Strahan get a sack and thus set a new record?

mzh
09-28-2011, 05:03 PM
This has happened before regarding Ty Cobb and Nap Lajoie.

Lip
I can't remember where, but I once read a fascinating article about a batting title chase between those two, the winner of which would receive a car. Lots of dirty play on both sides, defenses throwing it, etc.

Chez
09-28-2011, 05:06 PM
Konerko sat out the last three games of the season -- presumably to maintain his .300 average. Stuff like this happens all the time at the end of the year.

DSpivack
09-28-2011, 05:12 PM
I can't remember where, but I once read a fascinating article about a batting title chase between those two, the winner of which would receive a car. Lots of dirty play on both sides, defenses throwing it, etc.

On the other end of the spectrum, there was the battle for the 1978 NBA scoring title. David Thompson scored 73 on the last day of the season to go ahead in the scoring race, then George Gervin put up 63 later that day to win it.

soxinem1
09-28-2011, 07:33 PM
I remember when the NYM held Gregg Jefferies out of the lineup towards the end of the year in 1988 because they wanted to preserve his eligibility for the ROY Award the following season.

That worked out well too.

DeadMoney
09-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Konerko sat out the last three games of the season -- presumably to maintain his .300 average. Stuff like this happens all the time at the end of the year.

That has to be the reason he sat out the 3 games. Otherwise, he would've been in the lineup today when we were forced to play 3 catchers. I'm actually curious if he had a bonus for .300/30/100 numbers...

tstrike2000
09-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Bush league? IIRC, pulling guys from games early at the end of the season to preserve their numbers has been happening for a long time.

asindc
09-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Bush league? IIRC, pulling guys from games early at the end of the season to preserve their numbers has been happening for a long time.

You are absolutely right. And it has been bush league for a long time.

HomeFish
09-28-2011, 07:41 PM
If Braun doesn't like it he should go 3-for-4 tonight.

doublem23
09-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Braun 0-3 on the day. Looks like it doesn't matter.

Mohoney
09-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Did Reyes have any kind of bonus in his contract for winning a batting title? If he did, I probably would have done the exact same thing he did. I would have went out there and gambled on getting a hit in my first two plate appearances.

happydude
09-28-2011, 10:47 PM
I don't have a problem with it. The Mets weren't playing for anything and neither Reyes nor the franchise, if memory serves me correctly, can claim a previous batting title. Its a nice feather in both their caps. Sure Ted Williams played both ends of a DH to close out the season in the year he hit .406. Good for Williams and congrats to Reyes.

ComiskeyBrewer
09-28-2011, 11:53 PM
Braun 0-3 on the day. Looks like it doesn't matter.

Too many variables to say for sure(had reyes gone 1-5, Braun might have felt less pressure, as he wouldn't have had to been near perfect, and in actuality got the title).

Either way, I'm sure an MVP would help relieve this situation.:D:

asindc
09-29-2011, 09:20 AM
Did Reyes have any kind of bonus in his contract for winning a batting title? If he did, I probably would have done the exact same thing he did. I would have went out there and gambled on getting a hit in my first two plate appearances.

No, he does not.

StillMissOzzie
09-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Braun will have to console himself enjoying post-season baseball while Reyes enjoys his title watching them on TV.

SMO
:gulp:

cub killer
09-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Congrats to Joe Kings.

PeteWard
09-30-2011, 03:13 AM
I like Deadspin's take on this because it hits Yankee righteousness:

http://deadspin.com/5844948/jose-reyes-is-a-selfish-gutless-stat+padding-quitter-just-like-derek-jeter