PDA

View Full Version : Sandy Alomar Jr,Indians bench coach

#1swisher
09-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Sandy Alomar Jr, replaces Tim Tolman (due to health reasons) as the new bench coach for the Cleveland Indians,

PalehosePlanet
09-28-2011, 02:58 PM
That's one name deducted from the list.

I still hope it's Dave Martinez.

doublem23
09-28-2011, 03:02 PM

I still hope it's Dave Martinez.

Not neccessarily, becoming a manager would still be a promotion.

blandman
09-28-2011, 03:25 PM

The Indians just hired him for a position. I'm pretty sure they're not going to let their division rival talk to him.

dickallen15
09-28-2011, 03:42 PM
The Indians just hired him for a position. I'm pretty sure they're not going to let their division rival talk to him.

I'm sure he has an out.

DirtySox
09-28-2011, 03:43 PM

This.

scotgregor Scot Gregor
Sandy Alomar Jr. will be Indians' new bench coach in 2012 ... unless he is new #WhiteSox manager
1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

blandman
09-28-2011, 04:00 PM
This.

scotgregor Scot Gregor
Sandy Alomar Jr. will be Indians' new bench coach in 2012 ... unless he is new #WhiteSox manager
1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

I'm sure Scot's got a bead on the Indians front office.

I like Sandy, and I'd love for him to be the next manager. But it's unrealistic to think the Indians are going to let the future manager they're grooming go to their division rival.

asindc
09-28-2011, 04:14 PM

I like Sandy, and I'd love for him to be the next manager. But it's unrealistic to think the Indians are going to let the future manager they're grooming go to their division rival.

The point being made is that Alomar might have insisted on an out clause knowing that he is being talked about as a candidate for a manager's job. From what I've read over the years, such a clause would be rather typical.

dickallen15
09-28-2011, 04:21 PM

Why would he agree to a bench coach job and lock himself out of being a manager?

If the Indians wouldn't allow Sandy to move to a managerial position, they would have a hard time hiring coaches who had any aspiration of advancing. In other words, most of the good ones.

DumpJerry
09-28-2011, 10:18 PM

Not true.

Not true. Teams allow other teams to talk to their guy if the position being considered is a promotion. It's a courtesy they extend to all teams so they can benefit from it.

Also, would the Indians want a Bench Coach who is pissed off at not being allowed to interview for a Manager spot? Nope.

doublem23
09-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Not true. Teams allow other teams to talk to their guy if the position being considered is a promotion. It's a courtesy they extend to all teams so they can benefit from it.

Also, would the Indians want a Bench Coach who is pissed off at not being allowed to interview for a Manager spot? Nope.

I don't think anyone can really say what is true definitely except for probably Sandy Alomar and some guys in the Indians front office. While it is true that most teams generally allow coaches to interview for promotions with other organizations, I don't believe it's unprecedented that a team would block a highly valued coach. Also, Sandy and the Indians might have a handshake agreement that he's the manager in waiting for the Tribe. I doubt it's coincidence this promotion was announced two days after the Sox job opened up, a job Sandy's was considered a favorite for.

We'll see what happens.

dickallen15
09-29-2011, 10:52 AM
I don't think anyone can really say what is true definitely except for probably Sandy Alomar and some guys in the Indians front office. While it is true that most teams generally allow coaches to interview for promotions with other organizations, I don't believe it's unprecedented that a team would block a highly valued coach. Also, Sandy and the Indians might have a handshake agreement that he's the manager in waiting for the Tribe. I doubt it's coincidence this promotion was announced two days after the Sox job opened up, a job Sandy's was considered a favorite for.

We'll see what happens.
Maybe if Acta was a 65 year old guy, but Sandy is still interested in interviewing with the White Sox and will be able to do so if the White Sox chose to interview hi.

ohiosoxfan
09-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Plus, Indians have a guy at Triple-A, Mike Sarbaugh who has won the last two Triple-A National Championships and has won championships at every level of the minors. . . he could slip in the bench role and may actually be the next guy being groomed for the Tribe job.

hawkjt
09-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Exactly. Acta could be the Indians manager for 15 years...he is young.
Sandy will be allowed to interview for the Sox job, I would guess.
This move just gives him a good fallback option if he does not get a managers job. He interviewed for the Jays job last year. He wants to be a manager.

I still think he is odds on favorite to get the Sox job,with Davey Martinez as a co-favorite.

DumpJerry
09-29-2011, 11:38 AM
You can't keep a good man down. He'll be allowed to interview for Manager and GM (if one comes along) positions.

34 Inch Stick
09-29-2011, 01:21 PM

Let? If he had any interest in being a manager at the MLB level his agent would be committing malpractice if he didn't include an out in the contract.

Lamp81
09-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Plus, Indians have a guy at Triple-A, Mike Sarbaugh who has won the last two Triple-A National Championships and has won championships at every level of the minors. . . he could slip in the bench role and may actually be the next guy being groomed for the Tribe job.

The Sox should at least give this guy an interview. What's the harm.

If Alomar gets the Sox job, maybe Sarbaugh comes with him as a bench coach or a 3B coach.