PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Signed to 4-Year Extension

DSpivack
09-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Steve Stone just announced it on Sox broadcast.

DirtySox
09-28-2011, 01:44 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/DertyFoot/CB.jpg

Nellie_Fox
09-28-2011, 01:45 PM
:bandance:

chisoxfanatic
09-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Hell yes! I love Hawk! :gulp:

Over By There
09-28-2011, 01:52 PM
:gulp:

:popcorn:

AnkleSox
09-28-2011, 01:53 PM
4 more years of mute it is then.

WhiteSox5187
09-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Too bad.

GoGoCrede
09-28-2011, 01:58 PM
4 more years of mute it is then.

Agreed. Although what happens to me a lot is when the volume is low and I hear Hawk yelling excitedly and I look up quickly and it turns out it's nothing. Or it's a warning track shot, usually.

Noneck
09-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Not good.

doublem23
09-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Thank god, all these Carl Yastremzski anecdotes just kill at parties.

Hitmen77
09-28-2011, 02:02 PM
No surprise here. I'm assuming that as long as JR owns the Sox, Hawk has his job for as long as he wants it.

Steve Stone just announced it on Sox broadcast.

I wonder if Stone himself will be back.

Fenway
09-28-2011, 02:04 PM
http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2011/09/sox-harrelson-agree-to-four-ye.html

This just shows how completely the entire White Sox front office is out of touch with the fanbase.

Stone at least makes TV listenable - radio is perhaps the worst in MLB. Sterling and Waldman at least have comic value but Farmer just is not a #1 announcer.

I believe the White Sox are the only team with an all ex-jock announcing crew.

dickallen15
09-28-2011, 02:06 PM
No surprise here. I'm assuming that as long as JR owns the Sox, Hawk has his job for as long as he wants it.

I wonder if Stone himself will be back.
Why wouldn't he be? I think he's signed for 2 or 3 more years himself. I think this Hawk/Stone feud is pretty much people's imagination going wild. They seem to be doing a lot of laughing with each other in between innings.

dickallen15
09-28-2011, 02:07 PM

This just shows how completely the entire White Sox front office is out of touch with the fanbase.

Stone at least makes TV listenable - radio is perhaps the worst in MLB. Sterling and Waldman at least have comic value but Farmer just is not a #1 announcer.

Hawk is fine.

soxnut1018
09-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Dadgummit.

TheOldRoman
09-28-2011, 02:09 PM

I believe the White Sox are the only team with an all ex-jock announcing crew.You wouldn't know, you aren't part of the fanbase. Message boards are not a true indication of what the fanbase as a whole feels. There's an inordinate amount of hatred for Hawk on all message boards (the majority of which comes from the "I hate the White Sox because I'm smarter than them/they don't do things my way/they don't use stats, etc." crowd). From my experience, most Sox fans either like Hawk or are indifferent.

asindc
09-28-2011, 02:11 PM

Winning cures all.

sox1970
09-28-2011, 02:14 PM
He'll keep going until he's in the Hall. That's the only reason why he's still going. It's all about him.

TommyGavinFloyd
09-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Finally, some good news.

GoGoCrede
09-28-2011, 02:15 PM
He'll keep going until he's in the Hall. That's the only reason why he's still going. It's all about him.

I don't like Hawk, but where do you base this assertion?

downstairs
09-28-2011, 02:17 PM

His keeping going is keeping him out of the hall. He gets worse every year.

sox1970
09-28-2011, 02:20 PM
I don't like Hawk, but where do you base this assertion?

Just my perception of how he has deteriorated over the last 10 years to a cartoon of himself, leaning on his catchphrases more and more each year, and how he plays to the MLB Network to get national exposure. He wants the longevity and the noteriety to get in the Hall.

Crestani
09-28-2011, 02:24 PM
His keeping going is keeping him out of the hall. He gets worse every year.

His "Hawkism's may be getting a little stale, but he still is the best "Homer" announcer on the air....Now i'll grab me some bench while i put it on the board...!!!:bandance:

Fenway
09-28-2011, 02:29 PM
You wouldn't know, you aren't part of the fanbase. Message boards are not a true indication of what the fanbase as a whole feels. There's an inordinate amount of hatred for Hawk on all message boards (the majority of which comes from the "I hate the White Sox because I'm smarter than them/they don't do things my way/they don't use stats, etc." crowd). From my experience, most Sox fans either like Hawk or are indifferent.

Most of my White Sox friends in Chicago don't even know message boards exist - 90% can't stand him anymore.

Keep in mind I remember Hawk from his days with Boston where he was candid and objective. (which got him fired )

soltrain21
09-28-2011, 02:30 PM
That's terribly unfortunate.

hoosiersoxfan
09-28-2011, 02:31 PM

Not saying this isn't partly true but its quite obvious he loves the Sox just as much as anybody. Hawk may get annoying but he lives and breathes White Sox, at least during the broadcast and on his radio interviews.

TheOldRoman
09-28-2011, 02:34 PM
He'll keep going until he's in the Hall. That's the only reason why he's still going. It's all about him.Hawk is certainly full of himself, but I have never heard him shamelessly whine about deserving to be in the hall of fame like Santo did.

Milw
09-28-2011, 02:36 PM

Actually, it doesn't. Hawk has a large number of detractors, to be sure, but he's liked far more than he's disliked.

DSpivack
09-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Most of my White Sox friends in Chicago don't even know message boards exist - 90% can't stand him anymore.

Keep in mind I remember Hawk from his days with Boston where he was candid and objective. (which got him fired )

In that regard he reminds me of Harry Caray, although I'm too young to remember as anything more than a caricature.

doublem23
09-28-2011, 02:39 PM

Super

Goose
09-28-2011, 02:40 PM
****ing ridiculous! I am not even sure what to say here. Hawk is brutal. The person who said that the longer Hawk is on the air the worse he comes is spot on. His decline in listenability is steeper each year.

What is the JR-Hawk relationship like anyway? Why is he loyal to HIM? He sucked as a GM, and sucks just as much as an announcer. Does anyone have the inside as to what caused this loyalty?

I have said many times that Hawk has become a cartoon of himself many times, and I fear what he will become in the next few years.

This is another example of why...oh, I'll just stop.

Goose
09-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Actually, it doesn't. Hawk has a large number of detractors, to be sure, but he's liked far more than he's disliked.

Prove it.

tstrike2000
09-28-2011, 02:43 PM
I've always liked Hawk. His ego has always tended to make him a little too argumentative with whoever his with him in the booth. Besides that, and his overwhelming man-love for certain people, at least he brings some personality to the booth that could really be lacking with someone else in there. Plus, he truly loves the organization.

Foulke You
09-28-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm glad Hawk is returning. He isn't the most polished announcer but he is damn entertaining to me.

thomas35forever
09-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Nice. If they have to pry Hawk's dead body out of the booth like he wants them to, so be it.

Goose
09-28-2011, 02:49 PM
In that regard he reminds me of Harry Caray, although I'm too young to remember as anything more than a caricature.

Hawk is very much like Harry. Once an outspoken (critical) person of stupid club/player/front office moves, then a cheerleader of whatever it is that the club/player/front office does.

The Sox, in this extension, "just missed it".

doublem23
09-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Prove it.

Can you disprove it?

Goose
09-28-2011, 02:52 PM
Can you disprove it?

I didn't make the claim.

doublem23
09-28-2011, 03:00 PM
I didn't make the claim.

So that's a no.

chisoxfanatic
09-28-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm glad Hawk is returning. He isn't the most polished announcer but he is damn entertaining to me.
That's one of the main reasons why I like Hawk. The other main reason is his homerism.

To me Hawk IS White Sox baseball. I haven't known anything else and don't want to have to know anyone else anytime soon.

ShooterMcGavin
09-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Hawk certainly has a lot of history with the White Sox, and he has been a professional ambassador to the the organization, so it'd be poor form to cut all ties with him. That said, I'd like a replacement in the booth for Hawk, and shift Hawk to another public role within the organization.

A 4-year deal for a 70-year-old broadcaster with declining eyesight is not who I want to hear call a game.

Goose
09-28-2011, 03:07 PM
So that's a no.

I can disprove it. I polled the people around me and 100% say that he sucks.

With that said, his interview with Mark's dad just now was actually nice to listen to.

beasly213
09-28-2011, 03:08 PM
I like Hawk, I can't imagine White Sox baseball without him shouting "YES!" or "HE GONE!" I get that some people don't like him being the ultimate homer or his stories of Yaz but I love his homerism and on a lazy Sunday Summer afternoon during a blow out or a boring game I enjoy Hawk's stories from when he played.

You want to hear some bad bland announcing take a listen around MLB broadcasts around the league on MLB.TV These guys sound like robots with little to no personality.

I don't need my home teams play by play announcer to call guys out.. that's not his job so I don't get whey people are upset when Hawk doesn't call out people for being lazy or not playing the game right.

asindc
09-28-2011, 03:10 PM
I can disprove it. I polled the people around me and 100% say that he sucks.

With that said, his interview with Mark's dad just now was actually nice to listen to.

I polled all the Sox family and friends of mine and 100% like his homerism.

Goose
09-28-2011, 03:13 PM
I don't need my home teams play by play announcer to call guys out.. that's not his job so I don't get whey people are upset when Hawk doesn't call out people for being lazy or not playing the game right.

Maybe I am on the outside for this, but to me, doing what you mention would be TRUE homerism. That would be (likely) what a real fan would be doing/saying if the playe rwas actually dogging it. In fact, that is what Harry did in the early days of his stay with the Sox. THAT is what was endearing to the fans.

what you have now is a corporate Yes-Man. Early Hawk = good. Late Hawk = Very, Very Bad.

SOXPHILE
09-28-2011, 03:13 PM
I like Hawk, I can't imagine White Sox baseball without him shouting "YES!" or "HE GONE!" I get that some people don't like him being the ultimate homer or his stories of Yaz but I love his homerism and on a lazy Sunday Summer afternoon during a blow out or a boring game I enjoy Hawk's stories from when he played.

You want to hear some bad bland announcing take a listen around MLB broadcasts around the league on MLB.TV These guys sound like robots with little to no personality.

I agree. Hawk my not be my favorite, and he's not the best, but take a listen to broadcasts for teams like the Royals, Braves, Astros, etc. Pure, boring, milquetoast. I've known Sox broadcasts with him for so long, it's hard to imagine anything else. As bad as he can be sometimes, I'll take him, his Yaz stories, his blaming the umpires and his "he just missed it"'s on routine flyballs any day over some of those other announcers. That's not to say the broadcasts could be better thogh.

Goose
09-28-2011, 03:14 PM
I polled all the Sox family and friends of mine and 100% like his homerism.

So it's 50/50 split at this point!

spawn
09-28-2011, 03:15 PM
So it's 50/50 split at this point!

Depends on the number of friends you each have.

SI1020
09-28-2011, 03:16 PM
First of all I have nothing against an announcer being a "homer". Jack Brickhouse and Bob Prince (Pirates) were homers. Harry Caray, when he did PBP for the Cardinals on KMOX was very much a homer. The modern day blow dried *******s announcing these days on sports networks are for the most part beyond awful. As for Hawk, I liked him a lot for a long time. As I know I've said frequently here and elsewhere, I really enjoyed the Hawk and Wimpy team. They kept me interested and engaged in some tough seasons, like Harry and Jimmy did decades ago. Sadly, I feel Hawk has deteriorated in recent years. Sometimes his predictability is painful to listen to. At least he is not predictably banal, like those in the ESPN mode.

Goose
09-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Sadly, I feel Hawk has deteriorated in recent years. Sometimes his predictability is painful to listen to. At least he is not predictably banal, like those in the ESPN mode.

Very well stated! This is all I am trying to say. Sometimes, you need to know when to hang them up. In my opinion, it is past due for Hawk.

I liked Hawk too for a lot of years. The last few, not so much. Do I mute the TV when watching the game? NO. But I think the Sox can do better is all I am saying.

24thStFan
09-28-2011, 03:21 PM
I no longer live in Chicago, so I only get to hear Hawk on WGN broadcasts. It certainly is different than hearing him 150+ times a year, but I like him.

He is passionate about my Sox and he reminds me of home. Just my opinion.

kittle42
09-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Stretch.

harwar
09-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Hawk can get annoying but he still has a passion for the game and lives and dies with each game .. people ridicule his phrases but i hear more and more guys on MLB network and espn using them .. as long as he stays away from talking golf i'm ok ..

Goose
09-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Hawk can get annoying but he still has a passion for the game and lives and dies with each game .. people ridicule his phrases but i hear more and more guys on MLB network and espn using them .. as long as he stays away from talking golf i'm ok ..

I think they are making fun of him, not tipping their hats to him.

AnkleSox
09-28-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm of the opinion that Hawk does more to embarass the Sox than he does to endear them potential new fans. I can't stand him. Oh well.

Marqhead
09-28-2011, 04:05 PM
I love that he loves the Sox. I hate that his catch phrases have turned from a small entertaining portion of the broadcast to 50% of the words out of his mouth.

Hawk often has some good things to say, and he often shuts down and mails it in when he's pissed off. His love for the team detracts more from his broadcasting than it adds, at least that's been the case recently.

I'm a Hawk supporter, but I'm close to being ready for a new announcer.

As for radio, keep Farmer on color but bring in a real PBP guy.

Nellie_Fox
09-28-2011, 04:05 PM
I think they are making fun of him, not tipping their hats to him.That opinion is filtered through your personal bias.

Goose
09-28-2011, 04:08 PM
That opinion is filtered through your personal bias.

You know, you may be right. I may be reading it wrong, but that is the way I have always taken it. When I have heard "hawkisms" from national broadcasters, it was always "tongue-in-cheek". Maybe I am too jaded.

DSpivack
09-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Many love Hawk. Many hate him.

I'm in between, sometimes I find him to be unprofessional and annoying, other times I like him.

asindc
09-28-2011, 04:12 PM

No, they just find him entertaining, period.

Goose
09-28-2011, 04:23 PM
No, they just find him entertaining, period.

Again...this is your opinion. Mine is different. No one can say for sure though. Unless you work in at those places and can confirm.

asindc
09-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Again...this is your opinion. Mine is different. No one can say for sure though. Unless you work in at those places and can confirm.

I wrote my post in the same spirit that you wrote yours. By the way, I work and live among fans of Baltimore, the Nats, NYY, NYM, Boston, and Philly. The only fans I've heard complain about Hawk are NNY, Boston, and Detroit fans. We could add those findings to the 'survey.'

16th&State
09-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Having grown up with Hawk announcing a small part of me is happy. That said, the time for change came a while ago... Love ya Hawk, but its beyond time...

amsteel
09-28-2011, 05:34 PM
People expressing outrage toward Hawk is alone worth listening him for 4 more years

JB98
09-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Many love Hawk. Many hate him.

I'm in between, sometimes I find him to be unprofessional and annoying, other times I like him.

Me too. He has a great deal of enthusiasm for the organization, and for me, it makes him an enjoyable listen when the Sox are doing well. However, I hate his excuse-making and his pouting when the Sox are doing poorly.

LITTLE NELL
09-28-2011, 06:08 PM
I'm an old timer and enjoy the Hawk and some of his old stories as I remember a lot of them. Glad he was extended.

CLR01
09-28-2011, 06:09 PM
The good news streak had to end sometime.

GoGoCrede
09-28-2011, 06:09 PM
The good news streak had to end sometime.
Heh. We got too greedy, I guess. :tongue:

KMcMahon817
09-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Great. I love Hawk. He can be annoying at times, but I will always associate watching SOX games with Hawk. He's basically all I've known.

Glad to have you on board, Hawk!

Daver
09-28-2011, 06:16 PM
I've gotten used to watching Sox games and listening to music at the same time.

Zisk77
09-28-2011, 06:48 PM

Fenway this is absurd statement. I've been a sox fan since 77', and I love the Hawk. Inferring I'm not part of the sox fanbase base is tantamount to blasphemy. What Hawk is is a polarizing figure. You either hate him or love him. Very few people are ambivalent towards him.

So, whether you love him or hate him, "your right either way".:wink:

Daver
09-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Fenway this is absurd statement. I've been a sox fan since 77', and I love the Hawk. Inferring I'm not part of the sox fanbase base is tantamount to blasphemy. What Hawk is is a polarizing figure. You either hate him or love him. Very few people are ambivalent towards him.

Hate is a very strong term, I can't think of many things I actually hate.

I prefer not to listen to Ken Harrellson or Ed Farmer, but it has nothing to do with hate.

Zakath
09-28-2011, 07:16 PM
First of all I have nothing against an announcer being a "homer". Jack Brickhouse and Bob Prince (Pirates) were homers. Harry Caray, when he did PBP for the Cardinals on KMOX was very much a homer. The modern day blow dried *******s announcing these days on sports networks are for the most part beyond awful. As for Hawk, I liked him a lot for a long time. As I know I've said frequently here and elsewhere, I really enjoyed the Hawk and Wimpy team. They kept me interested and engaged in some tough seasons, like Harry and Jimmy did decades ago. Sadly, I feel Hawk has deteriorated in recent years. Sometimes his predictability is painful to listen to. At least he is not predictably banal, like those in the ESPN mode.

I lived in Pittsburgh during the end of the Bob Prince era. Now that guy was a homer beyond compare.

No question that Hawk can be irritating at times, but I'd rather have him than not. Especially when he's paired with what is one of the best (if not the best) color guys in baseball.

WhiteSox5187
09-28-2011, 07:24 PM
I lived in Pittsburgh during the end of the Bob Prince era. Now that guy was a homer beyond compare.

No question that Hawk can be irritating at times, but I'd rather have him than not. Especially when he's paired with what is one of the best (if not the best) color guys in baseball.

The problem is Hawk never gives Stone a chance to talk. If Stone is trying to make a point Hawk will cut him off with one of his "THAT'S WHY I SAID..."

Noneck
09-28-2011, 08:23 PM

I respect peoples views on liking or disliking Harrelsons announcing style. I personally cant stand it but others like it. I see some of the people here that like it, live outside of Chicago. I wonder how many games they have actually heard Harrelson announce in the past say 10 years. I am also curious if he may wear on them over time or if I didnt listen to him for so long that he is now like nails on a blackboard to me. I know it is an answer that cant be answered but just a thought in my mind.

Soxman219
09-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Don't care who calls the game, just as long as the White Sox win.

TaylorStSox
09-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Maybe I am on the outside for this, but to me, doing what you mention would be TRUE homerism. That would be (likely) what a real fan would be doing/saying if the playe rwas actually dogging it. In fact, that is what Harry did in the early days of his stay with the Sox. THAT is what was endearing to the fans.

what you have now is a corporate Yes-Man. Early Hawk = good. Late Hawk = Very, Very Bad.

At least we don't have to listen both Hawk and Ozzie kiss the Twins ass next year. He really makes watching a game less pleasant but whatever.

cards press box
09-28-2011, 08:55 PM

To paraphrase from the film Ghostworld, Sterling and Waldman have gone beyond being funny bad to just being really bad. I do agree that Ed Farmer is not a #1 announcer and the combination of Farmer and Darrin Jackson constantly squabbling is absolutely awful radio.

fram40
09-28-2011, 09:10 PM

I often wonder if they are making fun of him or paying tribute. I'll bet som eare paying tribute because they fond him entertaining and others are mocking him.

I wonder which side Dan Plesac falls on

Parrothead
09-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Very disappointed that the hawk is back. The guy is way past entertaining and embarrasing. Too bad the Sox did not give him a job as an ambassador or something. I am tired of listening to silence when the Sox are getting thier ass kicked, the guy just leaves. And to hear every loss on the umps is maddening. Looks like radio for me.

Lamp81
09-28-2011, 10:47 PM

Howard Cosell would be furious with the "Jockocracy" that has taken over the Sox broadcast booth.:angry:

A. Cavatica
09-28-2011, 10:49 PM
I think he's an embarrassment, but if JR needs an outlet for his loyalty then I'd rather he give a stupid extension to the announcer than to the manager or GM.

Lamp81
09-28-2011, 10:50 PM
I believe that was Ron Santo's strategy, that somehow his broadcasting career would help him in the eyes of the Veteran's Committee.

The differerance is that Hawk would go for his announcing and not as a player, while Santo was trying to get in as a player.

Lamp81
09-28-2011, 10:56 PM
I really feel the Sox broadcasts would really improve if Stoney and DJ would switch jobs again. Of course, removing Farmio from PBP, would be the best possible option.

SOXYoose
09-28-2011, 11:40 PM
Love the Hawk.

Nellie_Fox
09-29-2011, 12:11 AM
I respect peoples views on liking or disliking Harrelsons announcing style. I personally cant stand it but others like it. I see some of the people here that like it, live outside of Chicago. I wonder how many games they have actually heard Harrelson announce in the past say 10 years.I get the Extra Innings package. They don't always carry the Sox' feed, but more often than not they have either the Sox feed or both feeds, plus the WGN games, so probably about 80-100 a year.

Howard Cosell would be furious with the "Jockocracy" that has taken over the Sox broadcast booth.:angry:Howard Cosell was absolutely horrible at baseball. He didn't like baseball and wasn't good at hiding his contempt for the game. He was mediocre at football. The one sport he was actually good at broadcasting was the one he decided he was too good for, and quit, and that was boxing.

In other words, what Howard Cosell would think of it would mean less than nothing to me.

hawkjt
09-29-2011, 12:59 AM
I like Hawk. Sure, he aint perfect but I like his non-vanilla style.

I thought this year,that with the advent of using the strike zone box, it was a big improvement because it pretty much totally shut down Hawk's bitching about the umps. If fans did not notice that,they were not watching the games closely. It was a big relief,as he simply dropped the complaining about the umps out of his routine. Now, with the box,when an ump would refuse to call a curve ball a strike,like today, it was obvious to everyone watching how bad the guy was...and even Stoney piled on.

I also thought that Hawk was very critical of the team,and even bigger,of Ozzie the last month of so. I know he is totally a Jerry guy, but he loved Ozzie so much,it had to pain him to come out and openly criticize him.

I thought today was a very good listen as they summed up the season,talked of the future,and really got into the nitty gritty of problems.
One thing about Hawk..he is an incurable optimist, but I do not mind that in my ''entertainment leisure time'' activity. It is an escape,after all,not life and death.

I have no problem with Hawk and Stoney returning next year.
I have a problem with no Sox game tomorrow.
The happy season is over,and the cold drudgery is coming...yuck.

PKalltheway
09-29-2011, 01:32 AM
"Sit back, relax, and strap it down!" I love it. Glad to hear he'll be sticking around for four more years!

Nelson Foxtrot
09-29-2011, 02:23 AM
How many former players were actually good play-by-play men? Drysdale is the only one I can think of at the moment, so I give Harrelson some leeway for that. I've found Hawk much more listenable in recent weeks. As long as he cuts back on the umpire complaints, repeating stories way too often, and the overuse of catchphrases, I'm fine with him. I'd also like more interesting original nicknames. Sure, he's getting up in years, but it's not noticeable in his broadcasting.

I think Hawk's probably the most disliked broadcaster in sports among fans, but part of that is because of WGN. Whenever the subject comes up in conversation or online, he wins easily, even on non-baseball sites, but how many out-of-market broadcast teams have most fans heard? With the Braves no longer getting TBS exposure and WWOR long removed from superstation status, I think the Cubs and Sox are the only ones most people are regularly exposed to. I know most people don't like his shtick, but there are others out there who just arent's good at what they do.

Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but listening to the sleep-inducing (sorry Fenway) Don Orsillo a bit lately (thanks to anti-ESPN MLB Network showing the NESN feed of a Red Sox game every time I've turned on their channel this month) had made me appreciate Hawk more. Also, how many annoucers have ridden a mule in Yankee Stadium? That deserves bonus points in every facet of life.

tick53
09-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Resigning Hawk Harrellson the day after we lose Ozzie Guillen is like adding insult to injury. Just another Reinsdorf lackey...God I'm sick of this ass backwards organization.

Rocky Soprano
09-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Resigning Hawk Harrellson the day after we lose Ozzie Guillen is like adding insult to injury. Just another Reinsdorf lackey...God I'm sick of this ass backwards organization.

I completely agree. When will the organization learn that the Sox suck because of Hawk! Bring back Ozzie and fire Hawk and World Series here we come baby!

:bandance::dtroll::gulp:

GoGoCrede
09-29-2011, 12:13 PM
I really feel the Sox broadcasts would really improve if Stoney and DJ would switch jobs again. Of course, removing Farmio from PBP, would be the best possible option.

I feel like I'm one of five people who really enjoyed Hawk and DJ in the booth. Nothing against Stone.

shingo10
09-29-2011, 12:20 PM
I feel like I'm one of five people who really enjoyed Hawk and DJ in the booth. Nothing against Stone.

Count me in. I much prefer DJ to Stone.

rdwj
09-29-2011, 01:06 PM
Great news! While Hawk isn't what he used to be, he's still fun to listen to. I'm glad to have him for another 4 years.

:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Haters are gonna hate, but I think the majority of the fan base is extremely happy with this development.

Hitmen77
09-29-2011, 01:15 PM

I disagree. I'm not a big fan of Hawk myself, but I'd hazard to guess that more Sox fans than not like him.

I am more likely to believe that there's be more of an uproar from fan if it was announced that the Sox were letting Hawk go. This is not a comment on the quality of Hawk's broadcast. I may think he's dreadful, but I also don't doubt that he's quite popular with the average fan.

Losing Ozzie, Buehrle (probably), and Hawk all in one offseason. I may think the Sox are tone-deaf on some things, but they're not as stupid as we might think.

Hitmen77
09-29-2011, 01:27 PM

This reminds me somewhat of the Harry situation too.

When Harry was with the Sox, all I ever heard from Cubs fans was how he was an embarrassing joke of an announcer. He was perfect for low-class, white trash Sox fans while the Cubs and other teams had more respectable announcers. I was a kid at the time, so I can't say for sure, but my recollection is that was what the national media thought of him too.

Of course, then he left the Sox to join the Cubs and PRESTO!!!! He's suddenly a Cubs legend and a nationally loved treasure. Now, I'm not saying the same thing could happen to Hawk if he left the Sox. But my point is that I don't put too much stock in using the "other teams' fans hate him" argument.

Oh, and if people think Hawk's career is almost over because he's 70, remember that Harry Caray was 67 when he left the Sox and jumped to the Cubs.

So, is Hawk getting old, "senile, a caricature, etc? Yeah, in that case, let's send him to the Cubs to work there for 15 years until he drops while they make him a "legend" and build a statue in his honor. Is there room under "Hey Hey" on that one foul pole for "You Can Put It On the Board, Yes!"?:redneck

Zisk77
09-29-2011, 03:10 PM
I respect peoples views on liking or disliking Harrelsons announcing style. I personally cant stand it but others like it. I see some of the people here that like it, live outside of Chicago. I wonder how many games they have actually heard Harrelson announce in the past say 10 years. I am also curious if he may wear on them over time or if I didnt listen to him for so long that he is now like nails on a blackboard to me. I know it is an answer that cant be answered but just a thought in my mind.

I currently live outside of Chicago (grew up there though) but I have MLB extra innings so I get Hawk and Stoney almost every game (except when its only on wciu). My bro lives in ATL and loves Hawk. Good question though.

Vernam
09-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Hawk can help make a bad season intolerable, but at least he got the message (thanks, Brooks) that incessant whining about umpires is unprofessional. When the Sox are playing well, I might even enjoy Hawk. To the best of my recollection, that is.

I wonder how long Jack Drees would have lasted if there had been an Internet during his tenure. My old man despised every announcer the Sox ever hired, probably Bob Elston most of all. The old man would've had a field day on the damn Internet.

Vernam

BainesHOF
09-29-2011, 09:31 PM
This is unfortunate for everyone's sake, most of all Hawk's. Whatever you think of Hawk as an announcer, it's clear that he's gone downhill quickly. The rants at umpires that last for innings are embarrassing. The "Stretch!" calls on balls that don't even come close to the warning track are not that of someone on top of their game. The rude way he regularly ignores or casually dismisses what Stone says is irritating.

There's no reason for a baseball broadcast to be filled with tension, but it's present in spades on every Sox TV telecast thanks to Hawk, who has grown weirder as he ages. I just hope that Hawk doesn't have a Woody Hayes moment, but I fear he will.

The Sox should have made Hawk an ambassador, though I doubt he would go for it. It would be very difficult to remove him from the booth. The organization has chosen not to. I think the alternative would be to pair him with a partner that he would perform better with.

Brian26
09-29-2011, 10:05 PM
The rants at umpires that last for innings are embarrassing.

The Sox put the stop to that this year. Hawk very rarely whined about tea-cup time or Joe West.

As for Stone, he should spend more time preparing material for the Sox broadcast and worry less about his gig on the Mully & Hanley show or what's happening with the Cubs. Stone mailed it in this year. He was the master of the obvious ("Wow, and that had to hurt, right off the shin") with little to add to the broadcast to sell the team. Part of the job of the announcers is to attempt to sell the team to the casual fans at home to get them to come to the park, and Stone has yet to fill DJ's shoes on the tv side in that respect.

I'm not saying DJ is a better announcer than Stone. However, the weekend with Paciorek in Oakland was like a Sox game broadcast from a different planet. It was actually fun to listen to, no matter what the product on the field.

WhiteSox5187
09-29-2011, 10:16 PM
The Sox put the stop to that this year. Hawk very rarely whined about tea-cup time or Joe West.

As for Stone, he should spend more time preparing material for the Sox broadcast and worry less about his gig on the Mully & Hanley show or what's happening with the Cubs. Stone mailed it in this year. He was the master of the obvious ("Wow, and that had to hurt, right off the shin") with little to add to the broadcast to sell the team. Part of the job of the announcers is to attempt to sell the team to the casual fans at home to get them to come to the park, and Stone has yet to fill DJ's shoes on the tv side in that respect.

I'm not saying DJ is a better announcer than Stone. However, the weekend with Paciorek in Oakland was like a Sox game broadcast from a different planet. It was actually fun to listen to, no matter what the product on the field.

When Stone would try to add something over the past few years Hawk would just cut him off. At one point Stone was trying to make a point about pitching, something he knows quite a bit about, and Hawk stopped him mid-sentence and said "That's why I said..." and proceeded to tell his story about when he went golfing with Greg Maddux. Hawk won't let Stone much in besides "That has to hurt..."

guillensdisciple
09-29-2011, 10:49 PM
I think Hawk is good, have never been turned off by his broadcasts and for the most part I like the fact that he doesn't just talk about current baseball events because the majority of announcers drone and that's annoying.
Don't really need to have the game spiced up for me either way but, for what it's worth, he makes it that little bit more entertaining to me.

BainesHOF
09-30-2011, 12:14 AM

It was amazing how different those broadcasts with Paciorek sounded. Hawk was a completely different announcer. They were a great listen, and provided a reminding contrast to the dreary work provided by the Hawk-Stone combo.

You're so right about Stone's contributions this season. For whatever reason, Stone just gave up...when he wasn't taking any number of his days off. He's coasting on his reputation, one which was fairly easily earned as an expert on the Score. His year as an announcer was comparable to Rios' on the field.

jdm2662
09-30-2011, 09:36 AM
When Stone would try to add something over the past few years Hawk would just cut him off. At one point Stone was trying to make a point about pitching, something he knows quite a bit about, and Hawk stopped him mid-sentence and said "That's why I said..." and proceeded to tell his story about when he went golfing with Greg Maddux. Hawk won't let Stone much in besides "That has to hurt..."

Yes, as long as Hawk is in the booth, he has to be the show. Have you all ever been in a situation where you give it all your effort, but you get nothing to show for it? I have many times at multiple jobs. Eventually, you get the attitude, what's the point? You just do the minimum to what's acceptable. Whenever Stone tries to talk about something, Hawk usually cuts him off. So, why should he even bother if the Hawkster is just going to intervene?

I said this when they got hired. There is no way two egos are going to work in the booth. Farmer and Stone acutally worked very well together. I also agree when Paciorek was in the booth with Hawk, it was an enjoyable broadcast. It's obvious Stone and Hawk isn't going to work, and it's a shame. But, hey, as long as Hawk is the voice, he's happy. That's all it matters, right?

VMSNS
09-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Yeah, you definitely get the feeling that Stoney almost isn't trying because he knows that everything he says will just be challenged by Hawk. There were numerous times this season (and last) where Stoney would make a point, and then Hawk would follow it up with some "Well...that's not entirely true" bull****.

I used to be fine with Hawk, but the past two seasons I've really soured on him. His act has gotten stale, and it just irritates me. Some guy in the studio could make a Hawk soundboard with 10-20 of Hawk's "catch-phrases", play it over the broadcast, and no one would ever know the difference. He hasn't quite reached the level of badness where I have to mute the TV, but it's definitely been getting worse and worse.

I'm not surprised that the Sox gave him another deal. 4 years, though, seems a bit excessive to me.

Jollyroger2
09-30-2011, 12:14 PM
This is unfortunate for everyone's sake, most of all Hawk's. Whatever you think of Hawk as an announcer, it's clear that he's gone downhill quickly. The rants at umpires that last for innings are embarrassing. The "Stretch!" calls on balls that don't even come close to the warning track are not that of someone on top of their game. The rude way he regularly ignores or casually dismisses what Stone says is irritating.

There's no reason for a baseball broadcast to be filled with tension, but it's present in spades on every Sox TV telecast thanks to Hawk, who has grown weirder as he ages. I just hope that Hawk doesn't have a Woody Hayes moment, but I fear he will.

The Sox should have made Hawk an ambassador, though I doubt he would go for it. It would be very difficult to remove him from the booth. The organization has chosen not to. I think the alternative would be to pair him with a partner that he would perform better with.

I agree with this. This organization has been a clusterflop in every way since 05, why should the broadcaster situation be any different?

Can't wait for the first of many more buffoonish "Stretch" calls screamed at the top of his lungs on a ball hit to short center with the Sox losing 9-1.

Twin Killing
09-30-2011, 01:24 PM
I agree Hawk has gone downhill over the years on air as Harry Caray and others have as they aged. In 1993 about a month after the Sox were eliminated from the playoffs, my brother passed away from a quick but brutal battle with cancer. Earlier that year while he was considered to be in remission, his wife threw a party for him. As he was a lifelong Sox fan, she reached out (unbeknownst to my brother) to various people in the Sox organization and asked if they could send well wishes. I donít remember exactly how or who she contacted as this was before email, etc was commonplace, but she knew it was a long shot. Hawk was the only one who replied. He didnít end up getting her message until after my brother had passed but wasnít aware of that. He called my sister-in-law directly, only to be told my brother had passed away. Not an easy phone call to end up in. He talked to her on the phone for about an hour about life, family, baseball, etc. Itís a call my sister-in-law will never forget having just lost her husband. Furthermore, he invited her and their two daughters (age five and one at that time) up to the booth the following season. Hawk will always be good in my books!

kaufsox
09-30-2011, 04:54 PM
four years seems like a lot, for anybody, let alone Hawk. When the Sox are going good, he is tolerable, even fun sometimes, but when they suck, it is just brutal. Also the series with Wimpy really made it apparent that Hawk and Stoney just don't have chemistry. Even after all this time, Hawk and Wimpy were better than Hawk and Stone. For some reason when Wimpy makes fun of Hawk, or cracks a joke about something he says, Hawk just laughs. Either way, this contract seems to be too much.

Dan H
09-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Hawk will say anything to defend the baseball establishment. and that is one big reason he is in the booth. It isn't that he is a good announcer; he never was a good announcer and now he is getting worse. I use the mute button more and more.

Parrothead
09-30-2011, 10:33 PM
For all those who liked Hawk and Wimpy this year or those who know, wasn't the Hawk the guy who got Wimpy fired in the first place ? I guess time away helps.

Nellie_Fox
10-01-2011, 12:24 AM
For all those who liked Hawk and Wimpy this year or those who know, wasn't the Hawk the guy who got Wimpy fired in the first place ? I guess time away helps.So goes the unproven internet rumor that's been repeated on here so often that it's now regarded as fact.

HaroMaster87
10-01-2011, 03:27 AM
Like alot of people here, hes all I know... he IS White Sox baseball - to me. I just feel comfortable when I hear him. And Im now in SoCal so i dont always get the Chicago feed...and to be honest sometimes on those days I skip the games...or do alot of fast forwarding. Almost all of the other announcers are soo bland.

I like Stone but Id like it even more if Wimpy came back...those two together just crack me up...

doublem23
10-01-2011, 10:21 AM
I like Stone but Id like it even more if Wimpy came back...those two together just crack me up...

Hawk and Wimpy did a few games together this year when Stone was MIA. They were real good together.

kaufsox
10-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Hawk and Wimpy did a few games together this year when Stone was MIA. They were real good together.

I agree and if the Police and Steely Dan can get back together, why not Hawk and Wimpy?

Foulke You
10-05-2011, 06:11 PM
So goes the unproven internet rumor that's been repeated on here so often that it's now regarded as fact.
It's amazing how that Sox urban legend refuses to die.

TomBradley72
10-06-2011, 08:21 AM
I'm not sure if it's changed- but when I lived outside of the Chicago area and had MLB Extra Innings- I'd sample all the other team's broadcasts- and Hawk was still way better then the other local broadcast teams.

Even with the bad chemistry of Hawk/Stone- the radio broadcast (for me) is unlistenable- and that pisses me off alot more- I can enjoy a TV broadcast regardless of the announcers- that's not an option with radio. I could tolerate Farmer when he was paired with Rooney. DJ seems completely incompetent and annoying to me.("We have some WORK to do", calling Lillibridge "The Crusher", his constant/failed attempts at humor- he's like an annoying 7th grader).

The two of them together destroy one of my favorite things about baseball- listening to a game on the radio.

Lip Man 1
10-06-2011, 11:13 AM
This is from Tom's interview:

ML: In 1990 the TV crew was you, Jim Durham and “Hawk” Harrelson. Then in 1991 it was you and Hawk and that remained the TV team until the end of the 1999 season. Tom, I’ve heard a lot of talk and rumors about why you left the Sox. Can you give us the straight truth about why after 12 years you were gone?

TP: “I always looked at a broadcasting team exactly the same way I did when I was playing. It had to be a team effort to get the job done. It was a situation where Hawk and I were losing it from a chemistry standpoint the last few years. There were also some personal issues pending in the Atlanta area and it was difficult to take care of them when I was traveling around all the time. I was glad that I decided to make the move although I regretted leaving a lot of great people that I worked with.”

“I don’t like to watch or listen to myself but when I decided to try for the Nationals TV job I had to put together a tape so I watched some of the games from when Hawk and I were working together and I’ve got to tell you we were really good.”

-------------------------------------------

Now I can also tell you that I've been told by others that Hawk made some unfortunate comments (which may have been made in the playful, teasing vein common to players) that came at a particularly bad time in Tom's life and they hurt him badly which strained the relationship. As many of you know since it's public, Tom went through some very difficult personal times with some issues.

I'm guessing that time has helped heal some of the wounds. Next time I talk with Tom I'll ask him about it.

Lip

SI1020
10-06-2011, 01:47 PM
I don't think this thing qualifies as an "urban legend." Time does tend to heal some wounds and it would be nice to see these two back together in the booth. They did well together I think, in the games they worked together this year. The Sox apparently want Hawk as long as he's physically able, so pair him up with someone he's more compatible with. Hawk and Stone (and I like Stone) obviously are not a match made in heaven.

rockinrobin23
10-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Like alot of people here, hes all I know... he IS White Sox baseball - to me. I just feel comfortable when I hear him. And Im now in SoCal so i dont always get the Chicago feed...and to be honest sometimes on those days I skip the games...or do alot of fast forwarding. Almost all of the other announcers are soo bland.

i agree 100% my feeling right on the money...