PDA

View Full Version : Cue the Greg Walker Appreciation Thread!

DirtySox
09-28-2011, 12:10 PM
MDGonzales Mark Gonzales
Walker stepping down after today, said he decided 1 month ago to make decision
1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Chez
09-28-2011, 12:27 PM
By all accounts, Greg Walker is a good man. I hope he finds another job.

Milw
09-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Thank you Mr. Walker for your commitment to the White Sox organization. Best of luck in the future.

asindc
09-28-2011, 12:37 PM
It's an appreciation thread, folks. Mr. Walker, whatever contributions you have made as a player and coach for the Sox, I truly appreciate. Best wishes in your next endeavor.

dickallen15
09-28-2011, 01:09 PM
He was proud to be a White Sox and was a lot better than most gave him credit. A classy individual. For some reason I don't think the Sox offensive problems have been solved at the end of today's game.

SI1020
09-28-2011, 01:18 PM
I felt bad about wanting Walker canned as he was a favorite of mine in his playing days. There was no great joy in wanting him gone, just frustration at seeing the same old same old for so long. I wish him well for the rest of his life, and he handled adversity and criticism better than most of us would have. Better than I would have for sure.

DVsoxfan
09-28-2011, 01:34 PM
By all accounts, Greg Walker is a good man. I hope he finds another job.

This is accurate. While the players were warming up before a spring training practice in 2010, I spent about a half hour before talking to Greg Walker about the likes of Morel, Flowers, and the professional hitting of Mark Kotsay.

Procol Harum
09-28-2011, 01:49 PM
I pretty much stayed out of this mess this season and last. By empirical baseball criteria (i.e. you can't fire the players so Walker was destined to be fired) this decision was probably warranted.

But, seriously, I can't believe that Greg Walker was the ultimate reason why so many guys on the Sox flat-out sucked with a bat in their hands. If so, then I guess we can expect Sox batting averages, obp, and hitting with men in scoring position to skyrocket next season. Of course, if Dunn merely hits .200 next year there will be a huge statistical anomaly. We shall see if the Golden Era of White Sox Hitting will arrive in 2012....

kufram
09-28-2011, 01:53 PM
I appreciate Greg Walker for carrying himself with dignity when faced with abuse on a daily basis from people who admit to not knowing what his job is. I'm sure he is dismayed that he couldn't do more because, if nothing else, he is a White Sox man. That is under appreciated these days.

SoxSpeed22
09-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Now who are we going to blame if the offense stinks next year?
Regardless, this was long overdue, Walker did some good and some bad. Maybe we can hire somebody who can get hitters to hit a soft tossing lefty.

asindc
09-28-2011, 02:05 PM
I appreciate Greg Walker for carrying himself with dignity when faced with abuse on a daily basis from people who admit to not knowing what his job is. I'm sure he is dismayed that he couldn't do more because, if nothing else, he is a White Sox man. That is under appreciated these days.

Truth.

kittle42
09-28-2011, 02:18 PM
I'm sure he is dismayed that he couldn't do more because, if nothing else, he is a White Sox man. That is under appreciated these days.

In this organization, it's actually appreciated to a fault.

asindc
09-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Can anyone think of a reason to keep this "appreciation" thread open, when all it's just a bunch of people dancing around the fire, celebrating? There's very little appreciating going on, and I think the Walker dislike has been made clear enough in hundreds of other threads.

Just a suggestion: Just as it was announced in the Ozzie appreciation thread, perhaps it could be announced in this thread that posters should limit their comments to actually expressing appreciation to Mr. Walker.

asindc
09-28-2011, 02:34 PM

I believe he was speaking of Sox fans.

Nellie_Fox
09-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Just a suggestion: Just as it was announced in the Ozzie appreciation thread, perhaps it could be announced in this thread that posters should limit their comments to actually expressing appreciation to Mr. Walker.I just didn't have the energy to split out all the negatives into their own thread and roadhouse it. But that's kind of what I was hinting at; if it keeps going in the current vein, I think it's best to just close it.

Nellie_Fox
09-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Okay, I went ahead and split the "dancing around the fire" posts into a "dump on Walker" thread in the Roadhouse. From here on, refrain from negatives in this thread. Go celebrate in the split-off thread.

kufram
09-28-2011, 03:00 PM

The bleeding obvious needs explaining yet again?

GoGoCrede
09-28-2011, 03:02 PM
The bleeding obvious needs explaining yet again?

This is why teal is a beautiful thing. I didn't know you were joking either.

kufram
09-28-2011, 03:21 PM
This is why teal is a beautiful thing. I didn't know you were joking either.

I wasn't joking. I didn't mean the organization. I meant the fans, particularly here. That required explanation?

TommyJohn
09-28-2011, 03:24 PM
Okay, I went ahead and split the "dancing around the fire" posts into a "dump on Walker" thread in the Roadhouse. From here on, refrain from negatives in this thread. Go celebrate in the split-off thread.

Wha ja do that for, Nel? Dancing on graves is such fun!!!!

Steelrod
09-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Gonna miss him. One of the classiest guys ever to wear the White Sox unifom.

kittle42
09-28-2011, 05:43 PM
I wasn't joking. I didn't mean the organization. I meant the fans, particularly here. That required explanation?

I knew what you were talking about. You said the fans don't appreciate that someone is a "White Sox guy." I said the organization overappreciates it to a fault. I was not disagreeing with your assessment of the fans, but pointing out that overappreciation can sometimes be a negative, and that I believe it is with this organization.

Man, this seems like an unnecessary few posts.

slavko
09-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Now who are we going to blame if the offense stinks next year?
Regardless, this was long overdue, Walker did some good and some bad. Maybe we can hire somebody who can get hitters to hit a soft tossing lefty.

Duh...the hitting coach? AKA Scapegoat-in-waiting.

soxfanreggie
09-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Give him credit for being loyal to the Sox. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

tstrike2000
09-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Best of luck to Greg, just as long as it isn't teaching hitting in our organization.

russ99
09-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Greg's been a very loyal White Sox player and coach, and has taken some of the toughest criticism of anyone in the organization in relative stride.

Even though it's past time for a new approach for the hitters, he has my respect and appreciation.

I hope Jerry can find a place for him in the organization.

soxinem1
09-28-2011, 07:42 PM
Much like Ozzie, Greg Walker has been a large part of my White Sox Fan life, nearly 30 years in Walk's case.

I never felt he deserved the criticism reaped on him here or anywhere, and felt if anything, Ozzie did one thing right when he shielded his coaches for all this time.

Walk was always a fan-friendly guy as a player and a coach, who gave it his best, and I will always remember him fondly.

And for all of those Walker detractors, remember Von Joshua, Ron Jackson, and all the other hitting coaches of the past decade who were changed out and had the same problems dealing with White Sox hitters inconsistencies.

Maybe it is time to hold them accountable. As Walker had said repeatedly, they are professionals.

Daver
09-28-2011, 07:48 PM
And for all of those Walker detractors, remember Von Joshua, Ron Jackson, and all the other hitting coaches of the past decade who were changed out and had the same problems dealing with White Sox hitters inconsistencies.

Von Joshua had tremendous results with a very young 2000 team that was expected to be a bottom feeder, it was through no fault of his own that Jerry Manuel threw him under the bus.

Frater Perdurabo
09-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks for helping Paulie recover from 2003.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-28-2011, 09:18 PM
A sweet left-handed swing while on the White Sox, a known-to-be good guy and father whose daughter went to school with my niece, a coach who was unequal to the task of helping to solve this squad's problems. Best of luck, Walk.

Soxman219
09-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Good Luck Walker!:gulp:

Saracen
09-28-2011, 09:44 PM
It was time to go, but thanks for being a White Sox guy through and through. Always enjoyed Greg as a player and a good person.

soxfanatlanta
09-28-2011, 11:42 PM
I hope your next job yields much success.

Unless you face the Sox :smile:

kufram
09-29-2011, 02:11 AM
I knew what you were talking about. You said the fans don't appreciate that someone is a "White Sox guy." I said the organization overappreciates it to a fault. I was not disagreeing with your assessment of the fans, but pointing out that overappreciation can sometimes be a negative, and that I believe it is with this organization.

Man, this seems like an unnecessary few posts.

Well, I guess that's what happens when you quote someone to make a point they didn't bring up making their post confused. You seem to do it a lot with me for some reason and it makes me not want to post here sometimes. I wish I could push your ignore button for my profile for you. You say a lot of things I disagree with but I don't feel the need to constantly quote and refute you. Live and let live.