PDA

View Full Version : The Marlins Bidding Goodbye to Joe Robbie Today

Viva Medias B's
09-28-2011, 10:54 AM
In addition to the "other news" the Marlins are making today, it's the last game for the Florida Marlins. Joe Robbie Stadium/Pro Player Park/Pro Player Stadium/Dolphin Stadium/Dolphins Stadium/Land Shark Stadium/Sun Life Stadium hosts its last baseball game today, and the Marlins will move to a new stadium in Little Havana on the site of the Orange Bowl. Having been to Fort Lauderdale a number of times in the '90s and early 2000s, I have been to several Marlins games.

My most memorable one was the 1999 home opener in which the Marlins were hosting the Mets. Alex Fernandez was the starter, and it was also Robin Ventura's first game as a Met after being with us all those years before. It was a wild game that the Fighting Fish won, and most of the excitment was in the first or second inning. I think Robin made one or two critical errors in that game, Bobby Bonilla and Jim Leyland got ejected arguing balls and strikes, and Craig Counsell hit a grand slam to deep right center. Another memorable game was 2003 when the Marlins were hosting the St. Louis Cardinals. We sat behind the third base coaches box wearing our Sox gear. Guess who kept waving to us.

dwitt76
09-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Wonder how many people will be at the game today? Will Ozzie create a buzz and increase ticket sales for today? Expected to be announced mgr a couple hrs before the game. I assume he will make an appearance at the stadium.

TheOldRoman
09-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Loria and Sampson are such pieces of garbage, and they make it hard to root for the Marlins. However, I believe this will be the beginning of a Marlins revival. They will do better attendance wise. You just cant overstate the impact of people not wanting to drive an hour to watch a game in 95 degree weather with 90 percent humidity, sit in a cavernous football stadium with your neck cranked because the field is on a 35 degree angle from your seat. I also think Ozzie will have a very positive impact the first few years in Miami. There will be a lot of talk about the Marlins, and I think they will become the "in" thing in Miami (especially if there is no NBA season). If the Marlins decide to have an MLB payroll, they can be a very dangerous team.

And this means the only teams playing in horse**** stadiums are now the Rays, Athletics and Blue Jays. I long for the day when I don't see baseball games with torn-up outfields with yardlines painted green and football games where a baseball infield runs through the field.

DSpivack
09-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Wonder how many people will be at the game today? Will Ozzie create a buzz and increase ticket sales for today? Expected to be announced mgr a couple hrs before the game. I assume he will make an appearance at the stadium.

He'll be introduced at a 1PM (ET) press conference there.

GoSox2K3
09-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Several ex-Sox players included in the group of ex-Marlins who gathered to say goodbye to the old stadium:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/hough-other-marlins-old-timers-gather-to-say-goodbye-to-teams-ballpark/2011/09/27/gIQAzml82K_story.html

I remember Charlie Hough pitching for the White Sox in the early 1990s. He was the opening day pitcher for the Marlins when the franchise started in 1993.

thomas35forever
09-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Several ex-Sox players included in the group of ex-Marlins who gathered to say goodbye to the old stadium:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/hough-other-marlins-old-timers-gather-to-say-goodbye-to-teams-ballpark/2011/09/27/gIQAzml82K_story.html

I remember Charlie Hough pitching for the White Sox in the early 1990s. He was the opening day pitcher for the Marlins when the franchise started in 1993.
I find it funny that they're being labeled "Marlins old-timers" considering the franchise hasn't even been around 20 years.

LITTLE NELL
09-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Saw games 6 and 7 of the 1997 WS and a few other regular season games at what was then Pro Player. Nice Football stadium, lousy for Baseball.

Mohoney
09-28-2011, 10:41 PM
And this means the only teams playing in horse**** stadiums are now the Rays, Athletics and Blue Jays.

I would probably put Dodger Stadium on that list, too.

Hendu
09-28-2011, 11:29 PM
I would probably put Dodger Stadium on that list, too.

No way, Dodger Stadium is great. Could use a Kauffman Stadium-type renovation, but even in its current state, one of the better stadiums imo. I love climbing up the side of a mountain to get to the top deck, then entering down into the stadium. So much more interesting than ramps and escalators.

Lamp81
09-29-2011, 12:15 AM
My most memorable one was the 1999 home opener in which the Marlins were hosting the Mets. Alex Fernandez was the starter, and it was also Robin Ventura's first game as a Met after being with us all those years before. It was a wild game that the Fighting Fish won, and most of the excitment was in the first or second inning. I think Robin made one or two critical errors in that game, Bobby Bonilla and Jim Leyland got ejected arguing balls and strikes, and Craig Counsell hit a grand slam to deep right center. Another memorable game was 2003 when the Marlins were hosting the St. Louis Cardinals. We sat behind the third base coaches box wearing our Sox gear. Guess who kept waving to us.

While Bobby Bonilla would have been at that game, it would have been as a member of the Mets, but that doesn't mean he didn't get ejected.

Jim Leyland, OTOH, was managing the Colorado Rockies in 1999, maybe you were thinking of John Boles.

According to Baseball Reference, Counsell didn't hit any home runs in 1999.http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/counscr01.shtml

I am not trying to be a jerk, I just read your post, and a few things didn't seem quite right, so I investigated further. I am simply reporting what I found.

Viva Medias B's
09-29-2011, 12:16 AM
While Bobby Bonilla would have been at that game, it would have been as a member of the Mets, but that doesn't mean he didn't get ejected.

Jim Leyland, OTOH, was managing the Colorado Rockies in 1999, maybe you were thinking of John Boles.

Maybe it was 1998, then.

Nelson Foxtrot
09-29-2011, 02:29 AM

Charlie Hough is 63? He looked older than that when he was pitching. He was my favorite Sox starter. When I'd play ball with my friends, we all started throwing knuckleballs when he was here. That didn't work out very well. I remember watching the expansion draft live on televison and being disappointed that we lost Greg Hibbard. Florida immediately traded him to the Cubs for next to nothing. Between the teal, the fish logo, and a collection of my favorite mediocre players, the Marlins were one of my favorite teams.

Viva, Fernandez vs. NY was Opening Day 1999, but the wild 1st inning with the Counsell grand slam and Bonilla/Leyland ejections was 4/16/98 vs. the Phillies. Rough start for Tyler Green, who I'll always remember for the ridiculous number of his rookie cards I seemed to get every time I opened a pack. Since he was a can't miss 1st round pick, I was happy since I knew those cards would be worth big money some day.

Fenway
09-29-2011, 03:36 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/de/fullj.64bf300464f9c4a110b92c4876cebdbf/64bf300464f9c4a110b92c4876cebdbf-getty-127526062.jpg

Viva Medias B's
09-29-2011, 08:41 AM
Charlie Hough is 63? He looked older than that when he was pitching. He was my favorite Sox starter. When I'd play ball with my friends, we all started throwing knuckleballs when he was here. That didn't work out very well. I remember watching the expansion draft live on televison and being disappointed that we lost Greg Hibbard. Florida immediately traded him to the Cubs for next to nothing. Between the teal, the fish logo, and a collection of my favorite mediocre players, the Marlins were one of my favorite teams.

Viva, Fernandez vs. NY was Opening Day 1999, but the wild 1st inning with the Counsell grand slam and Bonilla/Leyland ejections was 4/16/98 vs. the Phillies. Rough start for Tyler Green, who I'll always remember for the ridiculous number of his rookie cards I seemed to get every time I opened a pack. Since he was a can't miss 1st round pick, I was happy since I knew those cards would be worth big money some day.

Thanks for cleaning that up for me. My memories of those years are starting to get a little fuzzy. Both of those were tough years for our Sox.

hdog1017
09-29-2011, 11:13 AM
What a joke of a baseball stadium. Now that this place is gone, I can't wait for the Athletics to get out of their place.

Lamp81
09-29-2011, 02:52 PM
I always like strategy moments in sports. So on the football side of this, I am going to miss the baseball dirt in the football field. When the ball is in the dirt, the team have to make adjustments in their play.

The Raiders will be unique in this situation until they:
A. Return to Los Angeles
B. The Athletics move to San Jose

Of course both A&B could happen, and Oakland will just be left with the NBA Warriors, and they refuse to use the Oakland name.

Hitmen77
09-29-2011, 05:23 PM
What a joke of a baseball stadium. Now that this place is gone, I can't wait for the Athletics to get out of their place.

Bud Selig has a committee that has taken more than 2 years and counting to decide on the San Jose issue.

http://swinginas.com/2011/09/27/bud-selig-continues-to-play-guessing-game-with-as/

Viva Medias B's
09-29-2011, 10:05 PM
I always like strategy moments in sports. So on the football side of this, I am going to miss the baseball dirt in the football field. When the ball is in the dirt, the team have to make adjustments in their play.

The Raiders will be unique in this situation until they:
A. Return to Los Angeles
B. The Athletics move to San Jose

Of course both A&B could happen, and Oakland will just be left with the NBA Warriors, and they refuse to use the Oakland name.

I don't see the Raiders moving, but I think the construction of Mt. Davis sowed the seeds of the A's eventual move. Of course, if that happens, wouldn't it make sense to tear down the horseshoe portion of the Coliseum and build another Mt. Davis on that side of it?