PDA

View Full Version : Rays dismayed by attendance at final games

Fenway
09-28-2011, 10:48 AM
The economy in Tampa Bay is horrific...the Bucs can't even sell out.

but still....

http://www.tampabay.com/multimedia/archive/00193/A4S_rays092811b_193045c.jpg

http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/article1193989.ece

Viva Medias B's
09-28-2011, 11:05 AM
I was listening to Jim Memelo and Rob Dibble a little bit on MLB Network Radio, and Memelo pointed out that the population of Tampa/St. Pete is only in the 600K range. He also said that Orlando's population is much better.

Fenway
09-28-2011, 11:37 AM
I was listening to Jim Memelo and Rob Dibble a little bit on MLB Network Radio, and Memelo pointed out that the population of Tampa/St. Pete is only in the 600K range. He also said that Orlando's population is much better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Ar eas

Tampa Bay metro is ranked 19th in the US
19 Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL MSA 2,783,243

Orlando is 26th
26 Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL MSA 2,134,411

Orlando has something Tampa doesn't - a central core.

skobabe8
09-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Florida doesnt care about pro sports outside of the Dolphins.

SOXPHILE
09-28-2011, 12:16 PM
What will the attendance be at Fenway tomorrow if the Rays win and the Red Sox lose today ?

Fenway
09-28-2011, 12:41 PM
What will the attendance be at Fenway tomorrow if the Rays win and the Red Sox lose today ?

huge
http://www.alexross.com/moviemob.jpg

GoSox2K3
09-28-2011, 02:40 PM
IMO the whole Tampa Bay has bad attendance issue is like beating a dead horse at this point.

After 1 pennant and another division title followed by more small crowds, this is no longer newsworthy. What really needs to be done is for MLB to find a way to relocate the Rays. Too bad the team signed a lease for the Trop through 2027 (:o:). At least the bonds for the stadium are to be paid off by 2016. After that, maybe it'll be easier for the Rays to break their lease.

Same with Oakland, they're simply not going to draw bigger crowds until Selig lets them move to San Jose.

Foulke You
09-28-2011, 04:25 PM
huge
http://www.alexross.com/moviemob.jpg
Nicely done!

TheVulture
09-28-2011, 04:41 PM
The economy in Tampa Bay is horrific...the Bucs can't even sell out.

but still....

Yes, how will the Rays ever be able to compete with teams like the Red Sox with that kind of attendance?

Thank you by the way for post #642 re: the Ray's attendance.

Fenway
09-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Yes, how will the Rays ever be able to compete with teams like the Red Sox with that kind of attendance?

Thank you by the way for post #642 re: the Ray's attendance.

If the fans are not showing up now...THEY NEVER WILL

What kind of a crowd would they get tomorrow for a playin game?

CHISOXFAN13
09-28-2011, 04:49 PM

What kind of a crowd would they get tomorrow for a playin game?

The playoff games against the Sox in 2008 were sold out. I assume the same will be true tomorrow and next week.

TheVulture
09-28-2011, 04:55 PM

They never will?!? Last I checked the Rays are tied with the Red Sox on the last day of the season. You've been posting that Tampa can't support a team for years, yet the Rays are once again in a position to take a a playoff spot from your Red Sox for the third time in the last four years.

Fenway
09-28-2011, 05:05 PM
They never will?!? Last I checked the Rays are tied with the Red Sox on the last day of the season. You've been posting that Tampa can't support a team for years, yet the Rays are once again in a position to take a a playoff spot from your Red Sox for the third time in the last four years.

AND THE TROP IS HALF FULL

If fans are not turning out for a team that has a chance to win everytime they take the field - THEY NEVER WILL.

Even the Mayor of St. Petersburg for the first time is admitting something is wrong.

WhiteSox5187
09-28-2011, 05:07 PM

I think what Fenway means is that if they can not draw in an exciting race like this the Rays won't ever draw. The team can compete but that doesn't mean the fan base will support them at the gate which in turn means that the Rays are going to have let their good young players leave once they become free agents.

Fenway
09-28-2011, 05:21 PM
I think what Fenway means is that if they can not draw in an exciting race like this the Rays won't ever draw. The team can compete but that doesn't mean the fan base will support them at the gate which in turn means that the Rays are going to have let their good young players leave once they become free agents.

Exactly what I meant.

BTW you have to think JR must wonder how a team with a $40M payroll is far better than what he has now.

We know the answer - it is called a farm system which is not a strong point for Chicago. Not drafting clients of Boras only hurt the White Sox - it didn't cause Scott a nano-second of lost sleep.

mrfourni
09-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Florida doesnt care about pro sports outside of the Dolphins.

And the Hurricanes

CHISOXFAN13
09-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Exactly what I meant.

BTW you have to think JR must wonder how a team with a $40M payroll is far better than what he has now.

We know the answer - it is called a farm system which is not a strong point for Chicago. Not drafting clients of Boras only hurt the White Sox - it didn't cause Scott a nano-second of lost sleep.

The Sox also haven't had a top 10 pick in a long time. The Rays drafted no worse than eighth for a period of ten seasons.

Among them, Upton, Price and Longoria.

DSpivack
09-28-2011, 05:32 PM
And the Hurricanes

They're not a pro-

I see what you did there. :tongue:

asindc
09-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Exactly what I meant.

I imagine JR sleeps well despite the 2005 World Series ring weighing down his finger. (I wonder if Mike Illitch (whom I like, btw) has slept any better the JR in recent years.) If JR does lose sleep, it ain't over not drafting Boras clients.

Hitmen77
09-28-2011, 06:02 PM
The Sox also haven't had a top 10 pick in a long time. The Rays drafted no worse than eighth for a period of ten seasons.

Among them, Upton, Price and Longoria.

Gordon Beckham begs to differ.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Major_League_Baseball_Draft

bridgeportcopper
09-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Gordon Beckham begs to differ.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Major_League_Baseball_Draft

His hitting certainly doesn't show it.....

SCCWS
09-28-2011, 07:19 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Ar eas

Tampa Bay metro is ranked 19th in the US
19 Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL MSA 2,783,243

Orlando is 26th
26 Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL MSA 2,134,411

Orlando has something Tampa doesn't - a central core.

Tampa's population numbers are mis-leading due to several factors:

1. 25 % of Tampa residents are over 65 years old. That is one of the highest % in the country.
2. Snowbirds who claim Florida as their residence for tax puposes but live in the north during the summer/fall inflate the population numbers.
3. Florida residents who have relocated from the North will still be loyal to their hometown team as opposed to the Rays especially w the games on cable television. That is why games against the Red Sox and Yankees have so many of their fans.
4. I hear a lot of people complain about the indoor stadium. I think it works great based on the weather. But traditionalists don't like it.

Lamp81
09-29-2011, 12:27 AM

That name takes me back. I remember him on the morning show of the Score back in the 90s. He co-hosted with Tom Shaer, who usually fills in for Gene Honda, as Sox PA, when Gene is away.

TheVulture
09-29-2011, 03:15 PM

The Rays have let their good young free agents go for the last ten years, yet they are making their third playoff appearance in the last four years while well attended teams that sign those free agents such as the Red Sox are on vacation.

I would think if there should be an obsession over a team being non-viable, perhaps it should be directed towards an organization that is actually non-viable. Call me silly. But to keep opening threads stating a team is incapable of being competitive while they continually win seems silly to me when there are multiple teams out there that haven't won squat for decades.

A. Cavatica
09-29-2011, 03:38 PM
They have a good team and need fans, we have a fan base starved for a good team.

If KW doesn't turn this thing around by spring training, let's all move to West Florida. Who's with me?

soxfanatlanta
09-30-2011, 08:38 AM
But to keep opening threads stating a team is incapable of being competitive while they continually win seems silly to me when there are multiple teams out there that haven't won squat for decades.

Fenway was not stating that this team cannot compete, he was pointing out that attendance sucks for a very competitive team in a tough division. The fans are just not showing up to games regardless of circumstances.

If the White Sox played as well as the Rays, you could bet that the Cell would be packed for a game like Wednesday.

cards press box
10-01-2011, 03:28 AM
AND THE TROP IS HALF FULL

If fans are not turning out for a team that has a chance to win everytime they take the field - THEY NEVER WILL.

Even the Mayor of St. Petersburg for the first time is admitting something is wrong.

The problem here is not with the Rays but with MLB. The top money teams like the Yanks and Bosox want the freedom to spend the vast sums they collect from local media revenue however they wish. Fair enough. But these same teams will only embrace economic freedom so far. If MLB were a true capitalist system, then the Rays could move to Jersey City, build a stadium facing the waterfront and see whether Jersey City Rays could pack them in. I have no doubt that they could. But MLB won't allow that because the teams in New York have territorial rights.

To be fair, the economic system for the have nots in MLB has gotten better under Bud Selig, mainly due to the three division alignment in each league. As a whole, though, MLB's economics still stink. And the Rays pay as big a price for the current economic system as anybody.