PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 9-27 Cooper undefeated as manager, SOX 2 JAYS 1 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
09-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Coop will fix it! :tongue:

KenBerryGrab
09-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Burls!

Nelfox02
09-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Nice job Burls----if that was your last time to the bump as a Chi Sox, good to see you go out with a great performance like that

A. Cavatica
09-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Heck, if we're not bringing him back, let Burls start tomorrow too.

Tragg
09-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Considering we're sort of in an interim/reorganizing situation for the next couple of years anyway, shouldn't Coop get a look here as manager? He's as interesting as Bell or Handy Sandy.

Domeshot17
09-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Thanks for everything Mark. I really hope this isn't goodbye

WhiteSox5187
09-27-2011, 09:31 PM
I left the game as soon as they pulled Buerhle but I got some good pictures of him on my cell before I left. I was near tears. I really hope we can somehow find a way to bring him back.

Bucky F. Dent
09-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Praying that was not the last we see of Mark B. in a Sox uniform.

GlassSox
09-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Good game. Hoping we have Burls next year.

CHISOXFAN13
09-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Boo to the thread title. Buerhle.

October26
09-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Praying that was not the last we see of Mark B. in a Sox uniform.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: I posted this in tonight's gamethread.

Love Sox #56 forever!!

Frater Perdurabo
09-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Boo to the thread title. Buerhle.

Trying to be as positive and lighthearted as possible.

I also think Buehrle will return next year. I think even if KW doesn't want/reach out to/think he can afford Buehrle, that JR will intervene personally to bring back Buehrle, much like he did with AJ last offseason. And then KW will have to find payroll savings elsewhere.

Soxman219
09-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Hope this isn't goodbye with Burls.:(:

1-0 in the post Ozzie era.

tstrike2000
09-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Great finish to the season by Mark. Hopefully, he's here next year and this isn't goodbye.

MeteorsSox4367
09-27-2011, 09:53 PM
If this were Buehrle's last game with the Sox, thanks for everything, Mark.

Class guy who is one of my all-time favorite players. He pitched with his head as much as he did with his arm.

Thanks, Burls. I hope you stay with the Sox.

jdm2662
09-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Mark, if this was your last game, thank you for a great 12 seasons. I've had the pleasure to being able to watch your entire career and see you many times in person. Hope to see you again when your number and picture will be placed on the LF wall.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Mark,

Please, please, please come back. If you can't, best of luck and all my love.

Lip Man 1
09-27-2011, 10:01 PM
Tragg:

Bell is not a candidate for the job according to Kenny.

---------------------------

Great performance and season by Mark considering the crap offense he had supporting him (typical example was tonight...)

Lip

Aesero
09-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Seemed like a typical Buehrle game with bad defense behind him, low run support, and some shakey relief. Buehrle really should have 20-30 more wins.

I really hope this wasn't his last game, but if it is, thanks for all the memories Mark.

Boondock Saint
09-27-2011, 10:06 PM
Mark, if this was your last game, thank you for a great 12 seasons. I've had the pleasure to being able to watch your entire career and see you many times in person. Hope to see you again when your number and picture will be placed on the LF wall.

Amen. One of the greatest to ever take the mound for us.

Brian26
09-27-2011, 10:13 PM
People take Mark Buehrle for granted. It hit me when the team was shaking hands after the game and Kevin Hickey congratulated Mark.

Hickey's the typical injury-prone "can't miss" prospect the Sox were saddled with back in the early 80s. Hickey, all of five career wins with the Sox, less than 150 cumulative innings pitched over three seasons, doesn't deserve to be on the same field as Mark Buehrle, let alone mentioned in the same post.

But, alas, hopefully the Good Guys can scrounge up 33-36 million over three years to keep him where he belongs. MB and Konerko are the face of the franchise, not the clown that just left to go to South Beach. McDowell and Hoyt couldn't hold Buehrle's jock, much like Hickey, Ross Baumgarten and Ken Kravec couldn't hold Hoyt's.

Buehrle should retire in a Sox uniform. What he's done over the past eleven years is something I couldn't even fathom occurring back when Hickey was in a Sox uniform. This is our Steve Carlton or Tom Seaver.

JB98
09-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Buehrle looked immune to the ****storm that's been surrounding the team the last 24-36 hours. He went out and did his job, just as he has hundreds of times before in a Sox uniform.

He had a good season. Offer him a fair contract, and he'll be back.

Lip Man 1
09-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Jack McDowell, Brian, didn't have the longevity that Mark has had but no pitcher in the American League won more games than him from 1990 through 1994.

Jack wasn't exactly chopped liver.

Lip

DSpivack
09-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Jack McDowell, Brian, didn't have the longevity that Mark has had but no pitcher in the American League won more games than him from 1990 through 1994.

Lip

Jack was a better pitcher in his prime, to be sure. But Mark has meant a lot more to the Sox franchise as a whole than Black Jack.

russ99
09-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Pretty uncomfortable game to be at in more ways than one, but I'm real proud of the rousing send off (hopefully only for this season) the fans gave Buehrle.

Also, I can understand the frustration of Sox season ticket holders, but the booing of Dunn is way out of hand. We should have more class than that.

Noneck
09-27-2011, 10:40 PM

Until dr. andrews turned him into chopped liver.

Lip Man 1
09-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Yea that was bizarre, I never asked Jack if he got compensated for the surgical mistake.

Lip

Lip Man 1
09-27-2011, 10:49 PM
Spivack:

Not arguing that, I just disagreed with the way Brian wrote about him.

Lip

Noneck
09-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Yea that was bizarre, I never asked Jack if he got compensated for the surgical mistake.

Lip

I dont think he did, it turned into a cant win situation.

delben91
09-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Quintessential Buehrle in what I hope isn't his last start for the White Sox. It's been a distinct pleasure to watch him over the years.

In Buehrle and Konerko I know I've been lucky to see two class players on this team for such a sustained run. Even when the team was terrible, they were both worth watching.

I hope Mark is back in a Sox uniform next season, but if not, then I look forward to the day when #56 goes up on the wall.

Brian26
09-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Spivack:

Not arguing that, I just disagreed with the way Brian wrote about him.

Lip

I loved McDowell. He had four very good seasons from '90-'93. His 1992 and 1993 seasons were outstanding. McDowell sort of collapsed twice in the '93 playoffs, had a forgettable '94 season and left the franchise in a pout. He was a shooting star. His legacy does not measure up to Buehrle's....not even close.

LongLiveFisk
09-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Pretty uncomfortable game to be at in more ways than one, but I'm real proud of the rousing send off (hopefully only for this season) the fans gave Buehrle.

Also, I can understand the frustration of Sox season ticket holders, but the booing of Dunn is way out of hand. We should have more class than that.

Ditto. I was at the game tonight and for there not being a very large crowd, these people made a lot of noise tonight. Huge applause and cheering for Mark, which was great.

With Dunn, it's gotten to where the fans are not even waiting for him to strike out to boo him. His name is called and he's booed. He's been beyond awful this season. We can only hope he turns this around. It's really scary to think of him being any worse next year.

Tragg
09-27-2011, 11:10 PM
Buehrle looked immune to the ****storm that's been surrounding the team the last 24-36 hours. He went out and did his job, just as he has hundreds of times before in a Sox uniform.

Amen

Foulke You
09-27-2011, 11:17 PM
Find a way to make it happen KW. #56 needs to be here next year.

Boondock Saint
09-27-2011, 11:17 PM

They damn well better.

Foulke You
09-27-2011, 11:19 PM
With Dunn, it's gotten to where the fans are not even waiting for him to strike out to boo him. His name is called and he's booed. He's been beyond awful this season. We can only hope he turns this around. It's really scary to think of him being any worse next year.
Exactly. At this point, why are you booing? The season is over. He is bad. Everyone knows it, especially Dunn. I think the fans have voiced their displeasure. We can only hope he wins comeback player of the year next year at this point. .240avg 25HR and 85RBI would do the trick. It's not what we paid for but it would be a huge improvement.

Noneck
09-27-2011, 11:21 PM
I loved McDowell. He had four very good seasons from '90-'93. His 1992 and 1993 seasons were outstanding. McDowell sort of collapsed twice in the '93 playoffs, had a forgettable '94 season and left the franchise in a pout. He was a shooting star. His legacy does not measure up to Buehrle's....not even close.

His leaving the franchise in a huff seemed justified due to a promise that was broken by management.

Im not disagreeing with you about who has the better legacy but Jacks legacy should not be downgraded because of how he left the club.

hi im skot
09-27-2011, 11:29 PM

Lip

Wins mean dick.

SoxSpeed22
09-28-2011, 12:07 AM
Wins mean dick.I'm sure Black Jack's 22 wins had nothing to do with the 93 team winning 94 games and making the postseason.

slavko
09-28-2011, 12:19 AM
In victory, tragedy. Dunn needs 6 more plate apperances to qualify for the worst batting average in history. Not going to get them. Pray for extra innings tomorrow.

Cooper coming back in 2012. Means no Tony LaRussa. (Dave Duncan, get it?)

sullythered
09-28-2011, 12:32 AM
Mark Buehrle is my favorite baseball player, plain and simple. There are more reasons than I can even begin to list here. It will be tremendously sad if he doesn't come back to retire a White Sox. We have simply never had someone like him before.

Navarro's Talent
09-28-2011, 01:23 AM
I really hope Mark returns for a few more years. Just in case, thanks for all the memories, 56!

hawkjt
09-28-2011, 01:33 AM
I think if the Sox offer 30 for 3 years, MB will take it. He might be able to get more from the Yanks,but NY is not his style. His parents are up all the time for his games in Chicago,and that would not happen in NY.
I suppose the Cards could make a play,and he would go for it,but they need payroll to resign Pujols,and they just re-signed Berkman for big money.

Bring back MB,Kenny!!

Thanks for the memories,Burls! You are a class act!

ShooterMcGavin
09-28-2011, 05:33 AM
11 consecutive seasons of 200+ IP, double-digit wins and 30+ starts; 161 regular season wins; a World Series save; a 2007 no-hitter; a 2009 perfect game; 4 All-Star appearances; 2 Gold Gloves; set an MLB record for number of consecutive batters retired (45); and did all of this while wearing a White Sox jersey.

Mark, thanks for your storied performance with the Sox, and I hope you will be able to continue to add to your brilliant career here in Chicago.

Jerko
09-28-2011, 06:44 AM
People are booing Dunn on sight for 2 reasons imo. 1) his horrendous season obviously, and 2) it's starting to sink in that long time favorites like buehrle might have to leave because of him. We can't boo Williams, so..........

Jerko
09-28-2011, 06:49 AM
In victory, tragedy. Dunn needs 6 more plate apperances to qualify for the worst batting average in history. Not going to get them. Pray for extra innings tomorrow.

Cooper coming back in 2012. Means no Tony LaRussa. (Dave Duncan, get it?)

I'm still giving Dunn the title. After he goes o'fer today just add on a 2 for 2 as best case scenario. I'm sure that would not vault him to the lofty 2nd worst ever average. And I don't think he's going to get any better next year.

tstrike2000
09-28-2011, 07:35 AM
I'm still giving Dunn the title. After he goes o'fer today just add on a 2 for 2 as best case scenario. I'm sure that would not vault him to the lofty 2nd worst ever average. And I don't think he's going to get any better next year.

So I take it no motivational speaking is in your future.

ChiSoxGirl
09-28-2011, 07:45 AM

They damn well better.

No kidding! The biggest insult they could give Buehrle would be to low-ball him. If we're aware of all of Buehrle's accomplishment and successes, you know damn well the organization is, too.

Listening to the tandem of Cooper and Buehrle during last night's postgame show was refreshing. One thing that really stood out to me is that Coop said more than once how much fun he had. He said stuff like, "Today was a neat day. ...I had so much fun out there tonight." Yes, that's right... the manager of the Sox had fun. I don't think we've had a manager have fun doing his job in three years. There were smiles in the dugout last night and laughter in the Conference and Learning Center that I hadn't heard in ages, despite the uncertainty that surrounds our beloved Buehrle.

Something Buehrle said also stood out to me. When asked if he'd accept the Sox offer if they and another team both offer him similar deals, he said he would. "I've spent 13 or 14 years of my life in this organization; it's all I know." If it's all you've known, it's comfortable and safe. Why uproot yourself and your family? Please stay, Buehrls, we all love you.

Chez
09-28-2011, 07:46 AM
People take Mark Buehrle for granted. It hit me when the team was shaking hands after the game and Kevin Hickey congratulated Mark.

Hickey's the typical injury-prone "can't miss" prospect the Sox were saddled with back in the early 80s. Hickey, all of five career wins with the Sox, less than 150 cumulative innings pitched over three seasons, doesn't deserve to be on the same field as Mark Buehrle, let alone mentioned in the same post.

But, alas, hopefully the Good Guys can scrounge up 33-36 million over three years to keep him where he belongs. MB and Konerko are the face of the franchise, not the clown that just left to go to South Beach. McDowell and Hoyt couldn't hold Buehrle's jock, much like Hickey, Ross Baumgarten and Ken Kravec couldn't hold Hoyt's.

Buehrle should retire in a Sox uniform. What he's done over the past eleven years is something I couldn't even fathom occurring back when Hickey was in a Sox uniform. This is our Steve Carlton or Tom Seaver.

Wow. Did Kevin Hickey kick your dog or something? Hickey was far from a "can't miss prospect." Hickey was discovered (I believe by Bill Veeck) playing 16 inch softball in the Chicago area -- I believe he was from Oak Lawn or Evergreen Park -- and signed to a minor league contract. For a couple of seasons, he was the only lefty in the bullpen. Yes, he couldn't hold Hoyt's jock -- he was never supposed to. Let's not confuse him with Jon Rauch!

asindc
09-28-2011, 07:53 AM
People are booing Dunn on sight for 2 reasons imo. 1) his horrendous season obviously, and 2) it's starting to sink in that long time favorites like buehrle might have to leave because of him. We can't boo Williams, so..........

So part of it was pre-emptive booing?

ChiSoxGal85
09-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Does anyone have a link to the postgame interview with Coop & Buehrle? I'd really like to see that.

hi im skot
09-28-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm sure Black Jack's 22 wins had nothing to do with the 93 team winning 94 games and making the postseason.

You could also spin it and say that his offense those years is what enabled him to win so many games.

As we've seen the past few years with the Sox, there have been guys who have put up dominating performances on the mound, but on nights where the offense couldn't be bothered to show up. Danks, Buehrle and Floyd all "deserve" at least a few more wins each this year, but with a brutal offense they were pinned with loses.

Wins for pitchers can be an outrageously misleading statistic, which is why they rarely mean much to me.

asindc
09-28-2011, 09:33 AM
You could also spin it and say that his offense those years is what enabled him to win so many games.

As we've seen the past few years with the Sox, there have been guys who have put up dominating performances on the mound, but on nights where the offense couldn't be bothered to show up. Danks, Buehrle and Floyd all "deserve" at least a few more wins each this year, but with a brutal offense they were pinned with loses.

Wins for pitchers can be an outrageously misleading statistic, which is why they rarely mean much to me.

Normally I would agree with you, but McDowell was a prime example of a pitcher who pitched well enough to win. If the Sox scored five, he would give up three. If the Sox scored one, he would give up none. He was a money pitcher.

The Immigrant
09-28-2011, 09:55 AM
I think if the Sox offer 30 for 3 years, MB will take it.

Sentimentality aside, I'm not sure that's an offer the Sox should even make.

Walker29
09-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Why would Vizquel decline the opportunity to start in Wednesday's game?

LongLiveFisk
09-28-2011, 06:49 PM

Well there we have it. All Dunn has to do is agree to give half of his salary next year to Buehrle and not only can we keep Mark, but the booing will stop.

Solved! :gulp: