PDA

View Full Version : Just Wondering...

Lip Man 1
09-27-2011, 05:20 PM
A manager has been "traded" four times in the past according to the MLBN. Each time the team letting him go got a major league player in return.

I'm curious, given the leverage the Sox had in this situation (since Ozzie had signed a deal for 2012) why they would accept two minor league players? If the Marlins wanted him that badly you'd think they would have to 'pony up' to get him.

Maybe getting back two minor leagers was at the Sox request but it just seems odd to me.

Lip

Daver
09-27-2011, 05:22 PM
It really depends on how much the White Sox wanted this deal to happen.

DirtySox
09-27-2011, 05:26 PM
A manager has been "traded" four times in the past according to the MLBN. Each time the team letting him go got a major league player in return.

I'm curious, given the leverage the Sox had in this situation (since Ozzie had signed a deal for 2012) why they would accept two minor league players? If the Marlins wanted him that badly you'd think they would have to 'pony up' to get him.

Maybe getting back two minor leagers was at the Sox request but it just seems odd to me.

Lip

The Sox had little leverage here. Ozzie wanted out and was being an asshat. The organization couldn't keep him around at this point, especially if JR didn't want Kenny to step down as recently reported. Logan Morrison was always a pipe dream. The two prospects the Sox received were much better than they deserved really.

Mohoney
09-27-2011, 05:26 PM
Maybe payroll concerns?

Dick Allen
09-27-2011, 05:31 PM

LipActually, one was manager for manger. Joe Gordon for Jimmy Dykes, courtesy of Trader Frank Lane.

Lip Man 1
09-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Didn't realize Joe had been retired by then...thought he was still playing.

Lip

Tragg
09-27-2011, 05:49 PM
The Sox had little leverage here. Ozzie wanted out and was being an asshat. The organization couldn't keep him around at this point, especially if JR didn't want Kenny to step down as recently reported. Logan Morrison was always a pipe dream. The two prospects the Sox received were much better than they deserved really.

Who did we get?
Edit- the two we got were numbers 4 and 7 on Kevin Goldstein's Marlins prospect list. Not a bad return, even if the Marlins' upper minors are weak.

DirtySox
09-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Who did we get?
Edit- the two we got were numbers 4 and 7 on Kevin Goldstein's Marlins prospect list. Not a bad return, even if the Marlins' upper minors are weak.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/majors/trade-central/2011/2612403.html

Decent assessment there. A live arm prospect with closer stuff but control issues, and a SS/2B that could possibly become a regular or a utilityman. All while getting out of having to pay a manager that clearly wouldn't be returning.