PDA

View Full Version : Coop on XM

ohiosoxfan
09-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Coop was just on XM Radio talking about the recent goings on and about he being selected to manage the final 2 games. Said he was going to have as much fun as possible while trying to win. He was then asked if he ever had any desire to manage in the big leagues and I was kind of surprised to hear that he sounded like he sincerely does. Said he managed in Venezuela but also said he felt if he could have a serious interview he would do well in convincing the team that he was qualified and could do the job. I wonder if he is indeed a candidate for the Sox job and wondering what people on this site think about the possibility.

When asked about the other coaches, he said that he has been given every indication that he would be back; they asked about the Williams/Walker situation and he said he kind of evaded the question and didn't know where that one stood. Of course, he mentioned that Ozzie and Cora were a team and wasn't surprised that they were both on the way to Miami.

One interesting comment - he talked of how he hopes that Buehrle is NOT making his final WS start tonight; but when he was asked about Chris Sale and the 2012 pitching staff as to who were the most important members of the staff, he talked about "all the starters" and proceeded to talk about everybody BUT Buehrle. Hope he is wrong.

DSpivack
09-27-2011, 03:31 PM
I think he's definitely a candidate for manager.

PorkChopExpress
09-27-2011, 03:38 PM
I think he's definitely a candidate for manager.

Not sure if I like that. If you're going to do this right, and I think getting rid of Ozzie was the first step, you have to bring in new blood. I fear some of the same stale atmosphere will stay if your just going to fill the position with someone who was here while things weren't working.

Foulke You
09-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Cooper is so good at what he does as pitching coach that I'd be afraid to pull him off that duty. Also, doesn't he have a short fuse with the media? He has been very testy with the sports talk guys in the past and it makes me wonder whether he can handle the every day grilling that comes with being a manager in Chicago.

Boondock Saint
09-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Cooper is so good at what he does as pitching coach that I'd be afraid to pull him off that duty. Also, doesn't he have a short fuse with the media? He has been very testy with the sports talk guys in the past and it makes me wonder whether he can handle the every day grilling that comes with being a manager in Chicago.

This was my first thought. He'd have less time with the pitchers than I'd like.

Nellie_Fox
09-27-2011, 03:49 PM
This was my first thought. He'd have less time with the pitchers than I'd like.But he'd probably be pretty good at selecting a new pitching coach.

Lip Man 1
09-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Tribune now reporting that Cooper and Baines have signed multi year extensions.

Lip

Daver
09-27-2011, 03:50 PM
But he'd probably be pretty good at selecting a new pitching coach.

It would be Kirk Champion.

Boondock Saint
09-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Tribune now reporting that Cooper and Baines have signed multi year extensions.

Lip

Woo!

PorkChopExpress
09-27-2011, 03:51 PM

Resembles the Matt Thornton debacle earlier this year.

And now I hear the Sox have given multi-year extensions to Coop and Baines. I just don't understand this. Unless they already know who the new manager is, and that manager has agreed to use them as coaches. Otherwise, why limit what a new manager can do by telling him who two of his coaches are before he is even in the door.

Nellie_Fox
09-27-2011, 03:53 PM
It would be Kirk Champion.Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Boondock Saint
09-27-2011, 03:54 PM

And now I hear the Sox have given multi-year extensions to Coop and Baines. I just don't understand this. Unless they already know who the new manager is, and that manager has agreed to use them as coaches. Otherwise, why limit what a new manager can do by telling him who two of his coaches are before he is even in the door.

I don't seem to recall Coop ever crashing and burning as a pitching coach.

Milw
09-27-2011, 03:54 PM

I think you probably just answered your own question. They must have a guy in mind.

DeadMoney
09-27-2011, 03:56 PM
I think you probably just answered your own question. They must have a guy in mind.

I would agree. With this move, it makes me think they probably have more than just a name (or 'a few names') in mind.

Boondock Saint
09-27-2011, 03:57 PM
I would agree. With this move, it makes me think they probably have more than just a name (or 'a few names') in mind.

Didn't KW send out a couple feelers to some guys during the season to gauge interest in the Sox job?

Noneck
Cooper and Baines signed to extensions. Shouldnt a manager pick his own coaching staff?

asindc

Nah, it more resembles the Contreras, Danks, Floyd, Garland, Jenks, and Santos successes. Chances are that the new manager will not bring in another pitching coach who would work better with our pitchers than Cooper. As far as Baines is concerned, there is no certainty that he will continue as a coach.

ilsox7
09-27-2011, 03:58 PM

KW flat-out said last night they have narrowed the list down to a few names (at most). He just would not talk more about it b/c he wanted the focus to be Ozzie, not the next manager.

DeadMoney
09-27-2011, 04:01 PM
KW flat-out said last night they have narrowed the list down to a few names (at most). He just would not talk more about it b/c he wanted the focus to be Ozzie, not the next manager.

Right. I'm saying that I think there's at least a verbal agreement that has to be in place with someone. If not, it's awful brazen to think/assume that a new manager would be happy to accept two stayovers from the previous coaching staff. Then again, that sounds a lot like our GM...

ilsox7
09-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Right. I'm saying that I think there's at least a verbal agreement that has to be in place with someone. If not, it's awful brazen to think/assume that a new manager would be happy to accept two stayovers from the previous coaching staff. Then again, that sounds a lot like our GM...

Yea, I think they pretty much know who it is. And if that is the case, it points directly at someone not with a current MLB team.

mmmmmbeeer
09-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Harold and Martinez were in Sox uniforms at the same time....just sayin'.

Daver
09-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Good thing, he learned under Cooper until Don stepped up to the major league team, and he replaced Don as minor league pitching director.

PorkChopExpress
09-27-2011, 04:15 PM
I don't seem to recall Coop ever crashing and burning as a pitching coach.

I was referring to Matt Thornton's success as a set-up man, yet utter failure as a closer, which I thought could resemble Coop's success as a pitching coach, yet potential failure as manager, were that to happen.

Milw
09-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Any reason to believe that Coop's "extension" isn't actually a promotion?

Boondock Saint
09-27-2011, 04:54 PM
I was referring to Matt Thornton's success as a set-up man, yet utter failure as a closer, which I thought could resemble Coop's success as a pitching coach, yet potential failure as manager, were that to happen.

Well, that would be two completely separate, completely different situations, with the only parallel between the two being that they both got promoted, then failed. Tornton's failure as a closer has no connection to Cooper's potential as a manager.

DickAllen72
09-27-2011, 05:05 PM
If not, it's awful brazen to think/assume that a new manager would be happy to accept two stayovers from the previous coaching staff. Then again, that sounds a lot like our GM...
Sounds a lot more like JR.

Lip Man 1
09-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Boon:

Yes, supposedly one of those asked wound up telling Ozzie about it.

Lip

CLR01
09-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Any reason to believe that Coop's "extension" isn't actually a promotion?

Why not just make that announcement if that were the case?