PDA

View Full Version : Joey Cora told not to come to the park by Kenny Williams

illini81887
09-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Don Cooper to be interim manager for final 2 games

per WSCR

kittle42
09-27-2011, 02:10 PM
He should stay out of White Sox business!

dwitt76
09-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Cooooooooooooooooooooop!

DirtySox
09-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Neat.

GoGoCrede
09-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Yikes....

Nellie_Fox
09-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Yikes....My reaction exactly. I didn't think Joey would be back next year, but didn't think he had pissed anybody off.

ChiSoxGal85
09-27-2011, 02:19 PM
My reaction exactly. I didn't think Joey would be back next year, but didn't think he had pissed anybody off.
Wow. I saw on Twitter that Coop was gonna manage those last 2 games, and figured Joey got on the plane with Ozzie.

kobo
Interesting. Very interesting.

gobears1987
I wish someone would tell Kenny Williams not to come to the park.

DeadMoney
09-27-2011, 02:23 PM
My reaction exactly. I didn't think Joey would be back next year, but didn't think he had pissed anybody off.

Seems... Fishy. :redneck

kittle42
09-27-2011, 02:24 PM

I'm on board with that.

Nellie_Fox
09-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Seems... Fishy. :redneckWe may never know if Cora did something in the last couple of days to deserve this, or if it's simply Williams being petty, but banning a coach from the park is pretty bizarre.

#1swisher
09-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Harold Baines will assist Cooper.

Gonzales article.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-cooper-to-manage-soxs-final-two-games-20110927,0,5958628.story

kittle42
09-27-2011, 02:27 PM
If Cooper goes 2-0, can I have a whole winter of being subjected to idiots citing a 2-0 record as a reason Cooper should be permanent manager?

Irishsox1
09-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Kenny Williams = Jerry Krause

SoxFan89
09-27-2011, 02:29 PM
If Cooper goes 2-0, can I have a whole winter of being subjected to idiots citing a 2-0 record as a reason Cooper should be permanent manager?

That's Cubs logic right there! And thats worked out so well for them...

DirtySox
09-27-2011, 02:38 PM
Cora Fired by Text (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/7907602-419/white-sox-fire-interim-manager-joey-cora-by-text.html)

lol

harwar
09-27-2011, 02:40 PM
seems once they started getting rid of managers they couldn't stop .. kinda like eating chips i guess

kittle42
09-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Cora Fired by Text (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/7907602-419/white-sox-fire-interim-manager-joey-cora-by-text.html)

lol

God, can Kenny please go, too?

oldcomiskey
without all the chamionships

Corlose 15
This is a little weird but I don't really have a problem with it. If Ozzie had been negotiating with the Marlins for some time now I'm sure Cora was aware of it. He's leaving with Ozzie, may as well let him leave now and let someone who is going to be here next year run the last two games.

DeadMoney
09-27-2011, 02:45 PM

lol

What a weird end to this coaching staff's run. If Kenny had any idea that Cora was already in talks with the Marlins/Loria/Guillen/Agent about going to Miami, then this is the right move (which, even if he wasn't, it's probably the right move anyway). I have no opinion on doing it via text. Who knows, maybe that's just how he and Kenny communicated.

ChiSoxGal85
09-27-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm sure you can count on that. :D:

thomas35forever
09-27-2011, 02:48 PM
That's pretty unusual. Walker has to be nervous right now.

Chez
09-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Harold Baines will assist Cooper.

Gonzales article.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-cooper-to-manage-soxs-final-two-games-20110927,0,5958628.story

I'm sure Harold will be a huge help. Vocal leader.

GoGoCrede
09-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Seems like a colossal joke....:?:

tstrike2000
09-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Walker shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the park. Nincompoops!

Harry Chappas
09-27-2011, 02:53 PM
What a weird end to this coaching staff's run. If Kenny had any idea that Cora was already in talks with the Marlins/Loria/Guillen/Agent about going to Miami, then this is the right move (which, even if he wasn't, it's probably the right move anyway). I have no opinion on doing it via text. Who knows, maybe that's just how he and Kenny communicated.

I don't care that they fired Cora but I do have a problem with the gutless way it appears they did it. I can't say that I'm surprised though considering how clownish the organization has been run for the last few seasons. Kenny's super-sized ego will no longer be kept in check by a strong, vocal, manager. I'm sure Kenny will make sure the next manager is a 'yes man' which I'm not sure is in the best interests of the team.

Honestly, if I had to pick, and I couldn't get rid of them both, I would have preferred KW be given his walking papers. I think GMs have more influence on a team's success than a manager. It would have been nice to get someone with fresh ideas in the front office. Someone who could have built our pathetic farm system back up. Alas, we are left with a meglomaniac for a GM.

DumpJerry
09-27-2011, 02:57 PM
On The Score this morning, they were saying it was a lock that Cora would be in Miami with Ozzie. They talked about how he had Camp Cora at his home in Miami every winter for the Sox' infielders (with a comment about how effective it wasn't) and wondered if the Marlins' infielders would attend Camp Cora this winter in the backyard of Ozzie's new home in Bucktown......

sullythered
09-27-2011, 02:58 PM
God, can Kenny please go, too?

I would feel so much better about all this if that would just happen.

VMSNS
09-27-2011, 02:59 PM
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm111/rollo_tomassi7/boomroasted1.gif

Corlose 15
09-27-2011, 03:04 PM
I don't care that they fired Cora but I do have a problem with the gutless way it appears they did it. I can't say that I'm surprised though considering how clownish the organization has been run for the last few seasons. Kenny's super-sized ego will no longer be kept in check by a strong, vocal, manager. I'm sure Kenny will make sure the next manager is a 'yes man' which I'm not sure is in the best interests of the team.

Honestly, if I had to pick, and I couldn't get rid of them both, I would have preferred KW be given his walking papers. I think GMs have more influence on a team's success than a manager. It would have been nice to get someone with fresh ideas in the front office. Someone who could have built our pathetic farm system back up. Alas, we are left with a meglomaniac for a GM.

What do you think would have happened to Ozzie's ego if he got KW forced out and the Sox to cave on his extension demands? Do you think the new GM would be able to keep Ozzie in check? You'd be left with a megalomaniac in the dugout and that would be undercutting any GM they got to replace KW.

Advocating for both of them to be gone is fine, but if only one of them was going it HAD to be Ozzie.

Tragg
09-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Kenny said last night that he didn't want to fire Ozzie and that it really wasn't the time to fire him.

Hee Hee Hee

dickallen15
09-27-2011, 03:17 PM
We may never know if Cora did something in the last couple of days to deserve this, or if it's simply Williams being petty, but banning a coach from the park is pretty bizarre.

From what I have read and heard, Cora and KW get along about as well as Ozzie and KW.

doublem23
09-27-2011, 03:20 PM
From what I have read and heard, Cora and KW get along about as well as Ozzie and KW.

Not surprised. The only problem for me is now I have to find a way to sneak in 2 bottles of bubbly to celebrate this wonderful day instead of just one. If they fire Walker before game time, I don't know what I'm going to do.

Harry Chappas
09-27-2011, 03:22 PM
What do you think would have happened to Ozzie's ego if he got KW forced out and the Sox to cave on his extension demands? Do you think the new GM would be able to keep Ozzie in check? You'd be left with a megalomaniac in the dugout and that would be undercutting any GM they got to replace KW.

Advocating for both of them to be gone is fine, but if only one of them was going it HAD to be Ozzie.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted them both gone in the worst way, but I think the GM has a greater influence on the team's overall success than the manager.

October26
09-27-2011, 03:26 PM
Seems like a colossal joke....:?:

Sure does. Wow.

The Immigrant
09-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Not surprised. The only problem for me is now I have to find a way to sneak in 2 bottles of bubbly to celebrate this wonderful day instead of just one. If they fire Walker before game time, I don't know what I'm going to do.

You're on fire today. :tongue:

Rocky Soprano
09-27-2011, 03:31 PM

You sneak in 2 and I sneak in the other 2.
Problem solved.
:gulp:

Dibbs
09-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Good news to me. Joey and Ozzie are a package deal to me. Glad he's gone.

34 Inch Stick
09-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Maybe they were afraid he'd steal his stapler and pens if they let him come back in.

Rocky Soprano
09-27-2011, 03:38 PM
I would think there is a reason why he is being asked not to come to the park. Could it have been handled better? Sure.

Boondock Saint
09-27-2011, 03:41 PM

Just chug one or two between the car and the gate like the rest of us.

Risk
09-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Even though I don't feel the need to retain Cora, I still don't like the way that this was done.

Risk

CLUBHOUSE KID
09-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Even though I don't feel the need to retain Cora, I still don't like the way that this was done.

Risk

Thank you. I agree.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-27-2011, 04:08 PM

If Krause was Crumbs, then Williams must be Dumbs.

doublem23
09-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Maybe they were afraid he'd steal his stapler and pens if they let him come back in.

He'd steal all the "S," "O," and "X" keys from all the computers.

TheOldRoman
09-27-2011, 04:14 PM
If Krause was Crumbs, then Williams must be Dumbs.Swing and a miss.

I will believe this story when a legitimate news source (i.e. not Cowley) reports it. Still, if it did go down like that, there is more to the story.

JoeyCora28
09-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Awww, man! Now what am I going to do with my vintage 1992 game-worn Joey Cora away jersey that I picked up at the garage sale back in 1993 for like $40? I still wear it from time to time! Don't tell me to burn it!! :smile:

doublem23
09-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Awww, man! Now what am I going to do with my vintage 1992 game-worn Joey Cora away jersey that I picked up at the garage sale back in 1993 for like $40? I still wear it from time to time! Don't tell me to burn it!! :smile:

Pfft, I still wear my Mike Sirotka jersey from 2000 from time to time.

NardiWasHere
09-27-2011, 04:24 PM
I don't see the big deal outside of letting him and everyone know before they announced he would manage.

I assume he did or said some things last night that led to this.

JC456
09-27-2011, 04:25 PM
they used a stapler and pens?

JC456
09-27-2011, 04:28 PM

Risk
So what did Kenny owe him? You have no idea how the discussion with Cora went. Pure speculation and nothing but bitterness on your part. Hey, if he isn't in the plans for the future, is there really a need for him to be at the park tonight? Not in my world. Way to go kenny, please tell me the same message went to Walker!

happydude
09-27-2011, 04:35 PM
So what did Kenny owe him? You have no idea how the discussion with Cora went. Pure speculation and nothing but bitterness on your part. Hey, if he isn't in the plans for the future, is there really a need for him to be at the park tonight? Not in my world. Way to go kenny, please tell me the same message went to Walker!

Agreed. Particularly if he IS in the plans for the Marlins' future along with Ozzie.

Jerko
09-27-2011, 04:36 PM
You sneak in 2 and I sneak in the other 2.
Problem solved.

Leave one under the last row of 163 so I can celebrate tomorrow. I crack under the pressure so I can't sneak one in myself. :o:

Risk
09-27-2011, 05:20 PM

I probably shouldn't take your flame bait but its been that kind of a day. In the midst of that mind-numbing post of your pure rambling, you're right about one thing: speculation--but you know what, you weren't there either so you also have no idea how the discussions with Cora went. Personally, I hope it didn't happen that way and that the media is once again flinging poo, but I digress.

I'm sure the world is relieved to know that you have no problem with yet another potentially embarassing event to this piss poor excuse of a season, but hey, kudos to you. At least we all know that it's all ok with you. Maybe its kosher for you that there may be another potentially clumsily handled situation that may have been avoidable, but I'm not.

Also "nothing but bitterness on your part"--please feel free to lay off the hyperbole or crack pipe, or both. I've never lamented the firing of Ozzie, Cora or Walker, or even KW in the future, since there is plenty of blame for this mess to go around.

Finally, I've highlighted certain portions of my reply just in case your reading and comprehension are a little off today.

Go **** some place else.

Risk

Rocky Soprano
09-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Leave one under the last row of 163 so I can celebrate tomorrow. I crack under the pressure so I can't sneak one in myself. :o:

Done.

gobears1987
09-27-2011, 05:28 PM
How funny that Ozzie has handled this situation with class and Kenny is being the *******.

GoGoCrede
09-27-2011, 05:30 PM

Risk

I would normally agree, but for all we know, Cora was acting like a jerk and that's what prompted this.

Rocky Soprano
How funny that Ozzie has handled this situation with class and Kenny is being the *******.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, Ozzie quit because he has a lot of class.
I will reserve my judgement of this situation until all the details come out.

asindc

Facts, please.

ilsox7
09-27-2011, 05:31 PM

:rolling:

Oh, wait. You were being serious?

:fail:

I mean, I get that people wanted Ozzie to stay. But to say he handled anything over the last few weeks with class is completely asinine.

GoGoCrede
09-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Can we be sure that he actually WAS fired by text? Has it been confirmed by anyone other than Cowley?

CHISOXFAN13
09-27-2011, 05:33 PM

Making an agreement to take another job while under contract is classy? Bitching about wanting more money is classy?

Pretty funny ****!

DirtySox
09-27-2011, 05:33 PM

Brilliant.

kittle42
09-27-2011, 05:34 PM

Completely regardless of whether I felt Ozzie should stay or go or whether he is an awesome manager or an average one or a terrible one...

He did not handle the situation "with class."

Kenny Williams is pretty much an ass, as well.

GoGoCrede
09-27-2011, 05:35 PM
Pretty classy at the press conference, yes (F-bombs withstanding). Before that? Not so much.

kittle42
09-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Pretty classy at the press conference, yes (F-bombs withstanding). Before that? Not so much.

Agreed. Well, and after that, as well (not sure when all that "money" talk came out).

VMSNS
09-27-2011, 05:36 PM

Are you forgetting the part where Ozzie told reporters that life is all about money, that he just wants more money, that he doesn't care about his WS ring, and told Jerry to go **** himself?

Consider the source of this story. It's that dick-bag Cowley, who clearly has an agenda against Ken Williams. Also, we don't know the circumstances behind this. Who knows, maybe Cora got into it with Williams behind closed doors last night, which prompted Kenny to do this.

tsoxman
09-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Actually, if you think about it, Williams is more of an Angelo equivalent. Both GMs:
1. Have an aversion or lack of talent in developing young players
2. Rely on an aging veteran core of players
3. Throw big money at a few guys and hope and pray the rest of it works
4. Have an overall organizational approach that is very unsustainable.

On the good side, both GMs have had some success, but vis-a-vis point 4, you will not see much success from either anytime soon.

DirtySox
09-27-2011, 05:50 PM
ChuckGarfien Chuck Garfien
Clearing up published report, Joey Cora thought he was interim manager because Ozzie told him so. Ozzie just assumed.
1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

ilsox7
09-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Clearing up published report, Joey Cora thought he was interim manager because Ozzie told him so. Ozzie just assumed.

****ing hilarious.

Milw
09-27-2011, 05:54 PM
That sums up the last seven years in a pretty nifty nutshell, I'd say.

kittle42
09-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Ha! The season is a joke right down the the very end.

Really, least enjoyable season ever. At least it ended on a high note.

DickAllen72
09-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Ozzie never could keep his foot out of his mouth or keep from embarassing the organization.

DirtySox
That sums up the last seven years in a pretty nifty nutshell, I'd say.

Exactly my thoughts as well.

Marqhead

Man, Kenny's such a dick.

Boondock Saint
09-27-2011, 06:05 PM
This is gold. I'm going to keep it all in my secret box, and pull it out when I have one of those "down in the dumps" kind of days.

Steelrod
09-27-2011, 06:52 PM
You mean like negotiating with another team while he was under a multiyear contract with his current team?

russ99
09-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Ozzie never could keep his foot out of his mouth or keep from embarassing the organization.

Since when has that any bearing at all on how the man does his job on the field?

russ99
09-27-2011, 06:59 PM
You mean like negotiating with another team while he was under a multiyear contract with his current team?

You mean like the Sox lining up candidates while the man's still the manager and talking to the Marlins about a trade?

Oh but wait! He's still under contract...

ilsox7
09-27-2011, 07:15 PM
You mean like the Sox lining up candidates while the man's still the manager and talking to the Marlins about a trade?

Just curious, Ozzie, when exactly did you start taking with the Marlins?

asindc
09-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Man, Kenny's such a dick.

How is KW a dick for what Ozzie said and Cora assumed?

CHISOXFAN13
09-27-2011, 07:19 PM

You're hilarious.

If you are such an Ozzie backer and Kenny basher, maybe you should delete the blog entry you have talking about how Rios and Peavy are going to lead us to the division crown.

KMcMahon817
09-27-2011, 07:20 PM

Dear Lord, you are unbelievable. I never really had a serious problem with Ozzie, but I was ready for a change. How can you possibly disagree at this point? Just accept what has happened and move on. It is good for the organization that we all dearly love.

DickAllen72
09-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Since when has that any bearing at all on how the man does his job on the field?
It doesn't, and who said it did? His poor performance as a field manager is entirely seperate from his propensity to put his foot in his mouth and embarass the organization.

HaroMaster87
09-27-2011, 07:28 PM

^^^^this^^^^

dickallen15
09-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Because Joe Cowley said so.

Vernam
09-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Consider the source of this story. It's that dick-bag Cowley, who clearly has an agenda against Ken Williams.

Exactly. After all the ****ing crazy stuff that Cowley's former meal ticket's clan tweeted and said, we're supposed to get worked up because Kenny sent a text message to Cora rather than . . . what? Call him into the office first thing in the morning for a face-to-face? Wake him up with a phone call? Give me a ****ing break.

The Ozzie lovers desperate to rationalize their prior rationalizations are going to keep looking for evidence that Kenny has no class, is not a nice guy, secretly roots for the Cubs, or whatever. But the supposed feud is over. Kenny's here, Ozzie is not. I believe Ozzie **** on the fans and organization for the past two years, with the full intention of taking the Marlin's job. Note the absence yesterday, in his farewell speech, of any regrets over not getting it done for the fans. Does he care that people are paying money to see games in the midst of the worst economy in 70 years? No. He cracks wise about needing to make $4M/year instead of $2M so he won't have to fire his boat captain. He's a piece of ****, and I really regret not having recognized it a lot sooner.

Kenny either genuinely cares about the fans or does a reasonable impersonation of someone who does. Watch his interview today with Kraplan. After two years of Ozzie's bull****, even lip service to the fans is preferable.

But it no longer matters which is the nice guy, if either. Kenny's main liabilities are actually that he has taken on some horrendous contracts (to cover up for his inadequate farm system) and deluded himself for far too long about Ozzie's character. Yesterday the latter got addressed, and I'm watching to see how he addresses the former. It's not going to be nearly as easy.

Vernam

CWSpalehoseCWS
09-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Exactly. After all the ****ing crazy stuff that Cowley's former meal ticket's clan tweeted and said, we're supposed to get worked up because Kenny sent a text message to Cora rather than . . . what? Call him into the office first thing in the morning for a face-to-face? Wake him up with a phone call? Give me a ****ing break.

The Ozzie lovers desperate to rationalize their prior rationalizations are going to keep looking for evidence that Kenny has no class, is not a nice guy, secretly roots for the Cubs, or whatever. But the supposed feud is over. Kenny's here, Ozzie is not. I believe Ozzie **** on the fans and organization for the past two years, with the full intention of taking the Marlin's job. Note the absence yesterday, in his farewell speech, of any regrets over not getting it done for the fans. Does he care that people are paying money to see games in the midst of the worst economy in 70 years? No. He cracks wise about needing to make $4M/year instead of $2M so he won't have to fire his boat captain. He's a piece of ****, and I really regret not having recognized it a lot sooner.

Kenny either genuinely cares about the fans or does a reasonable impersonation of someone who does. Watch his interview today with Kraplan. After two years of Ozzie's bull****, even lip service to the fans is preferable.

But it no longer matters which is the nice guy, if either. Kenny's main liabilities are actually that he has taken on some horrendous contracts (to cover up for his inadequate farm system) and deluded himself for far too long about Ozzie's character. Yesterday the latter got addressed, and I'm watching to see how he addresses the former. It's not going to be nearly as easy.

Vernam

+1

Exactly. Not to say KW does not have any blame, but I feel way more comfortable with Ozzie gone, than KW gone. I'd say KW has all next year to right the ship, and get this organization in the right direction, if not, time for him to go.

Marqhead
09-27-2011, 08:11 PM

Your sarcasm detector is malfunctioning. I hate teal.

asindc
09-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Your sarcasm detector is malfunctioning. I hate teal.

I also hate teal.

AZChiSoxFan
09-27-2011, 08:20 PM
I'm on board with that.

ROFL. Classic!!

AZChiSoxFan
09-27-2011, 08:23 PM

Ozzie handled this with class?!?!?!? :?:

I could have sworn I heard a quote to the effect that he only cared about money.

SI1020
09-27-2011, 08:27 PM
How funny that Ozzie has handled this situation with class and Kenny is being the *******. That is so funny. About Ozzie of course. Kenny can be an egotistical jerk I'll grant you that. Sox management has become so unlikeable and that to me is the most depressing thing of all.

Corlose 15
09-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Apparently Kenny offered to step down or be reassigned within the organization. Also, Kenny and Joey exchanged texts and had a phone conversation about him leaving.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/7028479/chicago-white-sox-gm-kenny-williams-says-was-willing-step-down

WhiteSox1989
09-27-2011, 08:47 PM
God, I hate Cowley.

Marqhead
09-27-2011, 08:53 PM
God, I hate Cowley.

What a ****ing hack. I respect Williams for offering to turn the job over to someone else, I just hope he has a plan moving forward. I liked what he said last night and I'm curious to see him work with a new manager.

A. Cavatica
09-27-2011, 09:14 PM
Where's Cora's appreciation thread?

Steelrod
09-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Where's Cora's appreciation thread?
I appreciate that he's leaving!

PeteWard
09-27-2011, 09:32 PM

Vernam

edit

A. Cavatica
09-27-2011, 09:33 PM
I appreciate that he's leaving!

Sucks for Cora. Ozzie got his own thread, and he did far more damage to the franchise than Cora.

pssondacubs
09-27-2011, 09:39 PM
One of worst things about keeping KW is that the Sox might lose the opportunity to move Hahn into the GM spot. He is well respected around the league and is one of the top GM candidates from what I've read.

ilsox7
09-27-2011, 09:41 PM
One of worst things about keeping KW is that the Sox might lose the opportunity to move Hahn into the GM spot. He is well respected around the league and is one of the top GM candidates from what I've read.

Word is he also wants the Cubs job and they may want him. Who is to say he would choose the Sox if given such an option?

ChiSoxGal85
09-27-2011, 09:46 PM
A little more detail about the conversation Williams had with Cora. It really doesn't sound like that big of a deal to me.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/7932/williams-version-of-why-cora-isnt-on-bench

hula
09-27-2011, 09:52 PM

Yeah, and the sooner, the better!

kittle42
09-27-2011, 09:53 PM
ROFL. Classic!!

You have confused me.

central44
09-27-2011, 10:41 PM
After reading those articles...wow. That's despicable of Cowley to distort the story that much to make Kenny look bad.

Also, the reason i've always been in KW's camp (seeing as how many have apparantly been picking sides) is because he obviously cares a lot about winning. His moves haven't all worked but you can't fault the guy for not trying to build a winner. Meanwhile, people have been questioning for months now whether Ozzie intentionally tried to lose games or not.

I hope KW's moves work out in the long run. I like his aggressive style.

NardiWasHere
09-27-2011, 10:43 PM
I don't understand why Cowley doesn't get called out on this type of **** more often. He's like doing a Jay Mariotti impression but he still writes stuff that looks (on the surface) like non-opinion reporting.

He is also incredibly dumb. For instance, when he was on the radio this morning he had difficulty understanding where conversations were going... His responses were often unrelated to what had just been said. It's amazing that he got a job in a market like Chicago.

TheOldRoman
09-27-2011, 11:41 PM
I don't understand why Cowley doesn't get called out on this type of **** more often. He's like doing a Jay Mariotti impression but he still writes stuff that looks (on the surface) like non-opinion reporting.

He is also incredibly dumb. For instance, when he was on the radio this morning he had difficulty understanding where conversations were going... His responses were often unrelated to what had just been said. It's amazing that he got a job in a market like Chicago.
But, but, but... don't you understand? He is the only reporter in Chicago who has the balls to say it!

Vernam
09-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Meanwhile, people have been questioning for months now whether Ozzie intentionally tried to lose games or not.

It's interesting that this keeps coming up. I'm on record that one particular game (August 31) led me to believe that Ozzie did not do his best to win. There were other goofy decisions, but that day is the one I would point to in speculating whether the allegation is true.

But that's all it will ever be: speculation and allegations. If that's what he was up to, he'll never come clean. If the players believed it, I don't think they'd ever say so publicly (though I also hope they wouldn't be saying such kind things about him right now). The players seem sincere in that, and it gives me hope that the guy was just incompetent and not crooked.

But I'd be curious if people have specific examples of his "trying not to win." It's a serious claim, and I'm not talking about having Alexei bunt with Konerko on deck and Dunn in the hole. After I made that claim on August 31, I felt vindicated two days later when Stone said the decision to hit Dunn for Lillibridge against Nathan was "inexplicable." He's a guy who chooses his words very carefully, and I would love to hear his candid, off-the-record assessment of what happened.

Maybe I'm naive, but if that's what was going on, it's sickening and no criticism (or punishment) would be strong enough for my tastes. There's plenty of reasonable doubt about what Ozzie was up to, but the circumstantial evidence is striking. Nothing that's happened since has changed my suspicions, that's for damn sure. Provoking outrage was clearly part of his strategy to get dismissed, and there's nothing much more provocative or outrageous than not doing your best to win a game with your team in contention and paying customers in attendance.

Vernam

central44
09-28-2011, 12:32 AM
After I made that claim on August 31, I felt vindicated two days later when Stone said the decision to hit Dunn for Lillibridge against Nathan was "inexplicable." He's a guy who chooses his words very carefully, and I would love to hear his candid, off-the-record assessment of what happened.

Vernam

Well I don't actually think Ozzie was tanking games, I was referring to the idea from that other thread that at times this year, Ozzie has made decisions that were so baffling that many felt compelled to question it.

But yeah, this instance you mentioned sticks with me. I remember yelling at my TV when it happened and I still don't understand the logic. I'm sure he didn't TRY to cost the Sox the game...but I have no idea what he was thinking.

I'm guessing he was just completely unaware of the situation--aka, more evidence that he spent most of the past season checked out.

MUsoxfan
09-28-2011, 12:40 AM
After reading those articles...wow. That's despicable of Cowley to distort the story that much to make Kenny look bad.

Also, the reason i've always been in KW's camp (seeing as how many have apparantly been picking sides) is because he obviously cares a lot about winning. His moves haven't all worked but you can't fault the guy for not trying to build a winner. Meanwhile, people have been questioning for months now whether Ozzie intentionally tried to lose games or not.

I hope KW's moves work out in the long run. I like his aggressive style.

I agree with this post 100%. We could be doing much worse than having KW as GM. He wants to win and will do everything he thinks he can to make that happen. Bad moves are inevitable. But the guy certainly has brass balls and an uncanny ability to open up JR's wallet

cheezheadsoxfan
09-28-2011, 12:55 AM
As much fun as the "good Ozzie" could be (in a twisted kind of way), I think Kenny has always been the class act of the two.
As another poster said, I like his aggressive style; not all moves will work out.

At any rate, will be an interesting off-season.

SOXYoose
09-28-2011, 12:56 AM
i'm sure harold will be a huge help. Vocal leader.

hilarious!

slavko
09-28-2011, 01:01 AM
A little more detail about the conversation Williams had with Cora. It really doesn't sound like that big of a deal to me.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/7932/williams-version-of-why-cora-isnt-on-bench

Cora, a Vanderbilt guy, the Harvard of the South. Williams, a Stanford guy, the Harvard of the West. Must have been a lot of big words in that conversation.

Cowley reporting only half the story to make Kenny look bad was despicable.

DSpivack
09-28-2011, 01:08 AM
Cora, a Vanderbilt guy, the Harvard of the South. Williams, a Stanford guy, the Harvard of the West. Must have been a lot of big words in that conversation.

Cowley reporting only half the story to make Kenny look bad was despicable.

Cough, my alma mater, cough.

http://communications.emory.edu/images/ecg_images/175-anniversary.jpg

Although Duke is probably better than either of the two. :redneck

pczarapa
09-28-2011, 01:10 AM
Amen, would like to see us start fresh, love what Kenny and Ozzie did to bring a WS championship - but it's time to move on.

thomas35forever
09-28-2011, 01:12 AM
Amen, would like to see us start fresh, love what Kenny and Ozzie did to bring a WS championship - but it's time to move on.
I'll give Kenny a year to clean up the mess he made, then boot his ass out the door after we miss the playoffs again.

BainesHOF
09-28-2011, 02:00 AM
Cowley's such an embarrassment. It's hard to believe someone could be so unaware of how bad they're making themselves look. He's just plain weird on the radio. He sounds like some kind of addict.

Why are some people so gung-ho about Rick Hahn? I have nothing against the guy, but why are you for him? What has he ever done that's been impressive.

I bet our next manager will be Sandy Alomar Jr. I'm all for giving him a try.

hawkjt
09-28-2011, 02:52 AM
Cowley has completely lost any cred he had with this Kenny obsession. It is flat embarrassing,beyond Marriotti even.
He should be writing in the National Enquier or worse,with his half-truths and crappy sourcing. A pure Ozzie mouthpiece. Has there ever been someone so blatantly biased in the chicago press?

As for Cora, I never disliked him,so this kind of crap by Cowley paints him unfairly. Kenny was doing him a favor. And Cowley makes him out to be a bad guy.

As for the new manager...I suspect it will be Sandy Alomar jr. and that is fine by me. Catchers make good managers,and he is smart,embued with baseball DNA and not a loudmouth.

Ozzie really moved toward the Tony Montana stereotype as the years went by...his ego ran amuck, and his basic street smarts were not enough to cover for his lack of basic education....like Montana,he thought he was immortal.

chisoxjtrain
09-28-2011, 08:08 AM
I just heard Kenny Williams' response to this from a sound clip on the Score. "The Joe Cowley report that said I fired him over text? Yeah, that's bull****." :roflmao:

asindc
09-28-2011, 09:09 AM
I'm holding out for the day when some of our fellow WSI posters don't immediately react to something Cowley wrote as if it's absolutely true. Yep, patiently holding out...:whistle:

hawkjt
09-28-2011, 09:33 AM
I just wonder if Cowley will continue his misinformation vendetta campaign against Kenny even now that his BFF, the Guillen boys, are off to Miami?

Is he going to make up even more lies,now that his only access on the inside is gone to Miami? Kenny has cut him off,and the new manager will most likely never give him anything,so now who are his sources? Does he have moles inside the orgranization besides Ozzie and co.?

skobabe8
09-28-2011, 10:00 AM
I just wonder if Cowley will continue his misinformation vendetta campaign against Kenny even now that his BFF, the Guillen boys, are off to Miami?

Is he going to make up even more lies,now that his only access on the inside is gone to Miami? Kenny has cut him off,and the new manager will most likely never give him anything,so now who are his sources? Does he have moles inside the orgranization besides Ozzie and co.?

Answer: Yes.

I followed Cowley on twitter for a couple of days and he's obsessed with KW. He's staying in a hotel on the beach with a beautiful view and talks about racing KW on the beach, ala Rocky.

Just creepy.

Viva Medias B's
09-28-2011, 10:14 AM
I think Cowley should go to The Miami Herald or the South Florida Sun-Sentinel so that he can continue to cover his BFF.

kittle42
09-28-2011, 10:34 AM
I'm holding out for the day when some of our fellow WSI posters don't immediately react to something Cowley wrote as if it's absolutely true. Yep, patiently holding out...:whistle:

Guilty, this time. Regardless, I am hoping the dog and pony show is done.

GoGoCrede
09-28-2011, 10:37 AM

I believed it at first without actually reading the article. :tongue: Then I read it, saw no direct quotes from anyone and Cowley's name on it. Then I was skeptical, to say the least.

wassagstdu
09-28-2011, 10:45 AM
I don't see the big deal outside of letting him and everyone know before they announced he would manage.

I assume he did or said some things last night that led to this.

Or is it that KW is totally lacking in class -- something of a White Sox tradition in situations like this?

asindc
09-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Or is it that KW is totally lacking in class -- something of a White Sox tradition in situations like this?

If you believe Cowley, sure. KW said its bull****, and Cowley has proven enough times just how credible his work is.

spawn
09-28-2011, 11:19 AM

I'm holding out for the day I wim Megamillions or PowerBall, but the odds are about the same.

GoGoCrede
09-28-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm holding out for the day I wim Megamillions or PowerBall, but the odds are about the same.

Ha, true. But how sad is it that we can't trust our own beat reporter to give us the facts?

DirtySox
09-28-2011, 11:24 AM
I'm holding out for the day when some of our fellow WSI posters don't immediately react to something Cowley wrote as if it's absolutely true.

Pssh. WSI is more fun when this happens. :smile:

spawn
09-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Ha, true. But how sad is it that we can't trust our own beat reporter to give us the facts?

Well, he's no longer the Sox beat reporter. And I trust Gonzalez and Padilla a helluva lot more than Cowley, both of whom are actually Sox beat reporters.

JC456
09-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Well it was just as painful listening to Lawrence Holmes on the Score before the game. Lawrence is the expert on etiquette when it comes to letting someone know they are no longer needed on the job. I wonder how many times he's had to do that?

Oh man was it painful to listen to though! The things he was suggesting Kenny was! I think he also owes Kenny an apology. He doesn't get it!

Tragg
09-28-2011, 02:06 PM

Hardly that. We're in a rebuilding phase, he knows the players, and the other choices (save perhaps Martinez) seem less than overwhelming.

DSpivack
09-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Well, he's no longer the Sox beat reporter. And I trust Gonzalez and Padilla a helluva lot more than Cowley, both of whom are actually Sox beat reporters.

I don't read the Sun-Times much, and mostly just read the Tribune online. I like Gonzales.

SI1020
09-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Hardly that. We're in a rebuilding phase, he knows the players, and the other choices (save perhaps Martinez) seem less than overwhelming. That's the way I feel, maybe Martinez. The rest of the names bandied about leave me cold and unenthused. Of course I'm assuming that Terry Francona is not a possibility. I could get a little enthused about hiring him.

kittle42
09-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Hardly that. We're in a rebuilding phase, he knows the players, and the other choices (save perhaps Martinez) seem less than overwhelming.

I agree. I find them merely whelming.

doublem23
09-28-2011, 02:36 PM
That's the way I feel, maybe Martinez. The rest of the names bandied about leave me cold and unenthused. Of course I'm assuming that Terry Francona is not a possibility. I could get a little enthused about hiring him.

Francona, I think, would be the best case scenario but I still really cannot see the Sawx firing him even if they complete their meltdown tonight or tomorrow.

After that, Martinez is highly regarded so he'd be a nice option. I'll throw Sandberg's name into the pile, not just because it would grate the **** out of Cub fans (it would), but he is well-respected in the baseball world and has actually won and found ways to keep players motivated at all levels of the minor leagues. Also Angels bench coach Rob Picciolo is also well regarded as a future manager, but I don't know how much managerial experience he has right now. Finally, the Knights' AAA manager, Joe McEwing is thought to have a future in the Majors.

Those 5 would all excite me in a way, I think, but I really don't know enough about the qualities that make a manager great (especially not at identifying them with guys who I have not really seen manage before) to make a really informed decision on the matter. I just want someone who will work with Williams for as long as he's here.