PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle wants to pitch 2-3 more years

doublem23
09-27-2011, 12:11 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0927-white-sox-bits--20110927,0,2472951.story

Take a break from all this exciting Ozzie talk!!!

thomas35forever
09-27-2011, 12:12 AM
Hope those years are with us!

DSpivack
09-27-2011, 12:16 AM
Hope those years are with us!

Unfortunately I doubt it.

Wish I could get to tomorrow's game to send him off.

Mohoney
09-27-2011, 12:16 AM
We have $2 million more as a starting point.

Paulie got 3 years, $37.5 million, and he deserved it. I would say that Mark Buehrle deserves the same 3 years at $30 million, and I would trim payroll to make it happen.

John Danks and Carlos Quentin both getting flipped can pay for 2012, and AJ is off the books to help defray 2013. It feasibly could happen, and I really hope it does.

ilsox7
09-27-2011, 12:17 AM
Unfortunately I doubt it.

Wish I could get to tomorrow's game to send him off.

Dirt cheap Scout Seats available for tomorrow. Almost bought them, but decided against it.

doublem23
09-27-2011, 12:18 AM
Dirt cheap Scout Seats available for tomorrow. Almost bought them, but decided against it.

Also, per an old friend of mine who works at Bacardi @ the Park, 1/2 price food and drinks there tomorrow and Wednesday, too

hi im skot
09-27-2011, 12:19 AM

Paulie got 3 years, $37.5 million, and he deserved it. I would say that Mark Buehrle deserves the same 3 years at $30 million, and I would trim payroll to make it happen.

John Danks and Carlos Quentin both getting flipped can pay for 2012, and AJ is off the books to help defray 2013. It feasibly could happen, and I really hope it does.

Sounds like a ****ty team.

ilsox7
09-27-2011, 12:19 AM
Per an old friend of mine who works at Bacardi @ the Park, 1/2 price tomorrow and Wednesday, too

If I felt like a Tuesday night of drinking, I'd be there. 99 bucks to see MB and eat and drink some crappy beer is not a bad deal.

Mohoney
09-27-2011, 12:30 AM
Sounds like a ****ty team.

Chris Sale replaces John Danks and Dayan Viciedo replaces Carlos Quentin.

You need to sink or swim with the only young talent on the team next year if you're in Kenny Williams' shoes. Plus, with the ultra-thin pitching class in free agency next year, John Danks will command a haul.

There is NO WAY that John Danks is with this team in 2013 and beyond. He's not even listening to offers by this team. Would you rather just keep him and take the compensation pick when he signs a $60+ million contract, or would you rather give the farm system a shot in the arm by moving him?

Carlos Quentin is in the same boat. He's going to command money that we won't have to give him, and he will bring back some value if he's moved.

amsteel
09-27-2011, 12:45 AM
Per an old friend of mine who works at Bacardi @ the Park, 1/2 price tomorrow and Wednesday, too

Through what channel? I don't think you can buy them via ticketmaster.

doublem23
09-27-2011, 12:50 AM
Through what channel? I don't think you can buy them via ticketmaster.

Oh ****, yes, I see how that is confusing... I meant 1/2 price food and drinks at Bacardi. I will edit the original post. Whoops. :redface:

WhiteSox5187
09-27-2011, 01:33 AM
I hope we can somehow find a way to keep Buerhle around. I went to the final game last year and was near tears when Paulie and AJ walked off the field (which resulted in my then girlfriend giving me an interesting look), I am going to the game tomorrow and might be near tears again.

Tragg
09-27-2011, 01:34 AM
MB is the man. Hope we keep him.
probably take some legerdemain to dump Rios.

asindc
09-27-2011, 09:28 AM

Actually, we will have $2 million minus whatever the next manager's annual salary will be.

As for MB, he is one of my top five Sox players of the last 20 years, but I don't think he is worth 3-$30 million at this point. It's just too coincidental that he pitched well in the last year of his contract when the past three years he barely pitched like a #3 starter. Just like with Pauly, he has remarked after the disappointing 2009 season that he has to get in better shape in the offseason, which I read to mean that he has to find a way to get fired up for the season once again. Pauly has managed to break out of his malaise, but I'm not sold that MB will break out of his, this solid season notwithstanding.

blandman
09-27-2011, 09:57 AM
I predict Buehrle follows Guillen to the Marlins. He liked playing for Guillen more than most realize, and the Marlins are going to be spenders this offseason.

hi im skot
09-27-2011, 09:59 AM
I predict Buehrle follows Guillen to the Marlins. He liked playing for Guillen more than most realize, and the Marlins are going to be spenders this offseason.

Not a chance.

blandman
09-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Not a chance.

Pretty good chance, actually. Buehrle wants an NL team, and they're one of the few willing to spend this offseason.

"Not a chance" is what you should be saying to resigning here. Brooks is on record saying Mr. Reinsdorf has been told he has to lower payroll to get out of the red next year. Can't do that if you resign Buehrle, unless you do something stupid like trade all of Danks, Floyd, and Quentin in order to keep him.

DirtySox
09-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Can't do that if you resign Buehrle, unless you do something stupid like trade all of Danks, Floyd, and Quentin in order to keep him.

I wouldn't put it past the Sox. 2 of the 3 being traded is certainly feasible.

hi im skot
09-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Pretty good chance, actually. Buehrle wants an NL team, and they're one of the few willing to spend this offseason.

"Not a chance" is what you should be saying to resigning here. Brooks is on record saying Mr. Reinsdorf has been told he has to lower payroll to get out of the red next year. Can't do that if you resign Buehrle, unless you do something stupid like trade all of Danks, Floyd, and Quentin in order to keep him.

I realize that Buehrle likely won't be back with the Sox, but I can't see him going to Miami, be it because of Ozzie or anything else.

I'm willing to bet that Buehrle will end up in the midwest, or maybe out west. He'll be back with the Sox before he goes to Florida.

sox1970
09-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Gut feeling....they trade Quentin, Danks and Floyd to get young pitching, and sign Buehrle to a 2-year deal.

Rotation--Buehrle, Peavy, Humber, Sale, Young Pitcher

October26
09-27-2011, 11:46 AM

I was thinking the exact same thing last night when CSN showed Ozzie hugging Buerhle, his wife, Jaime, and their kids after the game.

Why wouldn't Buerhle consider going to the Marlins? The Marlins are a wealthy organization, they are increasing payroll for next year, and they are in the NL, against which Buerhle has had tremendous success in his career.

As a White Sox fan, it breaks my heart to even think about this.

Hitmen77
09-27-2011, 12:10 PM
I think Buehrle is likely gone and we can blame KW's payroll moves over the past 2 years.

$43M owed to Peavy/Dunn/Rios, ~$10M for one year of a mediocre Edwin Jackson, ~$4M for about one month of a horrid Manny.

That coupled with 3 straight years of lousy starts and crappy finishes to the season that have killed attendance means we'll probably see nothing but payroll slashing this offseason.

Part of this comes back to the continued failure to have a decent farm system. Since we don't have much talent of our own, KW went for broke by overpaying for over-rated players.....and now we're at the "broke" part of that plan.

chisox12
09-27-2011, 12:24 PM
I think Buehrle is likely gone and we can blame KW's payroll moves over the past 2 years.

$43M owed to Peavy/Dunn/Rios, ~$10M for one year of a mediocre Edwin Jackson, ~$4M for about one month of a horrid Manny.

Exactly. It's a shame that some ****ty moves by Kenny are most likely going to cause the Sox to lose one of the most productive and popular players this organization has ever had.

I wish I could make it to the game tonight.

blandman
09-27-2011, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't put it past the Sox. 2 of the 3 being traded is certainly feasible.

You'll probably see at least one go, probably two. But all three would be necessary to keep Buehrle. And if you're doing that, you might as well not bother at all.

I realize that Buehrle likely won't be back with the Sox, but I can't see him going to Miami, be it because of Ozzie or anything else.

I'm willing to bet that Buehrle will end up in the midwest, or maybe out west. He'll be back with the Sox before he goes to Florida.

I'm having a hard time coming up with a Midwest team looking for a pitcher like Buehrle with the money on hand. Cincinatti doesn't need to spend on another starter. Milwaukee needs to spend what money it has replacing Fielder. St. Louis has a full rotation and the Pujols situation. The Cubs are really the only N.L. midwest team looking to add a starter. Is that likely?

The A.L. Central really only has the Royals and Cleveland looking to spend on pitching in the offseason. Don't see him staying in the A.L. outside of Chicago, especially not for those clubs.

asindc
09-27-2011, 02:01 PM
You'll probably see at least one go, probably two. But all three would be necessary to keep Buehrle. And if you're doing that, you might as well not bother at all.

I'm having a hard time coming up with a Midwest team looking for a pitcher like Buehrle with the money on hand. Cincinatti doesn't need to spend on another starter. Milwaukee needs to spend what money it has replacing Fielder. St. Louis has a full rotation and the Pujols situation. The Cubs are really the only N.L. midwest team looking to add a starter. Is that likely?

The A.L. Central really only has the Royals and Cleveland looking to spend on pitching in the offseason. Don't see him staying in the A.L. outside of Chicago, especially not for those clubs.

I don't think it's a given that Fister will stay in Detroit, so they might be looking for a starter.

PalehosePlanet
09-27-2011, 02:09 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing last night when CSN showed Ozzie hugging Buerhle, his wife, Jaime, and their kids after the game.

Why wouldn't Buerhle consider going to the Marlins? The Marlins are a wealthy organization, they are increasing payroll for next year, and they are in the NL, against which Buerhle has had tremendous success in his career.

As a White Sox fan, it breaks my heart to even think about this.

The Marlins have money because of revenue sharing, they are basically welfare recipients. They pocket the money and do not spend on payroll.

Jeffrey Lorria has never spent money on free agents. I realize that they have a new stadium, but I'll believe they're increasing payroll only when I see it.

gobears1987
09-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Sadly it won't be for the Sox because Kenny ****ed up this team's payroll.

blandman
09-27-2011, 02:26 PM
I don't think it's a given that Fister will stay in Detroit, so they might be looking for a starter.

They're pretty close to tapped out financially, don't see it.

blandman
09-27-2011, 02:26 PM
The Marlins have money because of revenue sharing, they are basically welfare recipients. They pocket the money and do not spend on payroll.

Jeffrey Lorria has never spent money on free agents. I realize that they have a new stadium, but I'll believe they're increasing payroll only when I see it.

Ivan Rodriguez and Carlos Delgado disagree with you.

tstrike2000
09-27-2011, 02:54 PM

Yeah....no.

sox1970
09-27-2011, 02:57 PM
It's at the Sox advantage that the Cardinals and Brewers have full rotations set for 2012. If they didn't, I think both teams would be a good fit.

We'll get him back short-term.

Aesero
09-27-2011, 03:00 PM

Thank you for predicting this! I was hoping Buehrle would resign with the Sox, and I think this pretty much seals the deal.

Paulwny
09-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Buehrle probably doesn't want to play for an east coast team but, the Yanks may offer him big $$$.

Mohoney
09-27-2011, 03:30 PM
You'll probably see at least one go, probably two. But all three would be necessary to keep Buehrle.

Why would all 3 be necessary? Quentin made $5 million, Danks made $6 million, and I highly doubt that Buehrle makes $14 million per season again on his next deal.

blandman
09-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Why would all 3 be necessary? Quentin made $5 million, Danks made $6 million, and I highly doubt that Buehrle makes $14 million per season again on his next deal.

Brooks did an interview a few days ago with Crains where he said he told Reinsdorf payroll had to drop next year to get out of the red. Danks and Quentin are already due raises through arbitration. One of those three, probably two, are going without even considering Buehrle. To resign him, we'd essentially have to dump all three. Which makes sense only if you don't plan on winning much next year.

blandman
09-27-2011, 03:43 PM
It's at the Sox advantage that the Cardinals and Brewers have full rotations set for 2012. If they didn't, I think both teams would be a good fit.

We'll get him back short-term.

Except our financial situation is also not a fit.

KenBerryGrab
09-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Buehrle probably doesn't want to play for an east coast team but, the Yanks may offer him big $$$.

The Yankees and their fans don't think much of Mark. Probably because they have lighted him up.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-27-2011, 04:12 PM
I found it interesting that the day everyone knew Guillen was going to leave is the day Buehrle came out and definitively said he wanted to pitch two more years.

sox1970
09-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Except our financial situation is also not a fit.

If they trade Quentin, Danks, and Floyd, they'll afford him.

blandman
09-27-2011, 04:39 PM

Yes, that's what I've been saying. But if you do all that...what's the point? Would Buehrle want to be a part of a rebuilding process his last two years?

asindc
09-27-2011, 04:47 PM

Yes, that's what I've been saying. But if you do all that...what's the point? Would Buehrle want to be a part of a rebuilding process his last two years?

Yes, you'll just be robbing Peter to pay Paul at that point.

Nellie_Fox
09-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Yeah....no.On MLB Network last night, they said that before the game, Buehrle walked in and saw Ozzie with the press, rolled his eyes and muttered "oh, shut up." Doesn't sound like a guy who wants to follow Ozzie anywhere to me.

Mohoney
09-27-2011, 04:52 PM

What if you could move Thornton instead of Floyd? That could work.

blandman
09-27-2011, 05:19 PM
What if you could move Thornton instead of Floyd? That could work.

And then there's no shut down late inning lefty in the pen.

The team can survive losing Buehrle's salary and compete. It couldn't keep enough to compete if they retained him.

blandman
09-27-2011, 05:21 PM
On MLB Network last night, they said that before the game, Buehrle walked in and saw Ozzie with the press, rolled his eyes and muttered "oh, shut up." Doesn't sound like a guy who wants to follow Ozzie anywhere to me.

Could have been razzing him, could be he didn't know what Ozzie did.

You don't hug someone you don't like. Well, outside of family at least.

Hitmen77
09-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Yes, you'll just be robbing Peter to pay Paul at that point.

I'm not saying I support trading Quentin, Danks, and/or Floyd to keep Buehrle, but at least trading some of those guys **should** give us a decent haul of talent in return. If the Sox want to get anything for Danks and they think they don't have much of a chance to re-sign him after '12, now would be the time to trade him.

Like I said, I'm not a big fan of trading these guys. I just wonder what the Sox are going to do now that they've painted themselves into a corner by being saddled with bad contracts and having little in the way of talent in the farm system.

Tragg
09-27-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm not saying I support trading Quentin, Danks, and/or Floyd to keep Buehrle, but at least trading some of those guys **should** give us a decent haul of talent in return. If the Sox want to get anything for Danks and they think they don't have much of a chance to re-sign him after '12, now would be the time to trade him.

Like I said, I'm not a big fan of trading these guys. I just wonder what the Sox are going to do now that they've painted themselves into a corner by being saddled with bad contracts and having little in the way of talent in the farm system.
The Sox should trade Danks - can't re-sign him. Quentin's a possibility if the haul is right. Don't see much point in trading Floyd - he's a solid 3/4, you won't get a ton for him and he's not easy to replace.

PalehosePlanet
09-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Ivan Rodriguez and Carlos Delgado disagree with you.

Rodriguez was a one year deal back in '03, and Delgado was traded after only one very successful year in '06 as a typical salary dump by Loria. That's a total of 2 years and 14 million spent in free agency. WOOWEEE Munch, you sure proved me wrong!

He's the worst and cheapest owner in baseball and is despised by their fans. Throw in his incompetent midget stepson running the show and you have the worst ownership group/front office in baseball.

Oh, but by all means, tell me how a new stadium is going to turn an evil troll into a lovable prince.

If I had to rate Mark's chances of which teams he would sign a contract with, The Marlins would be #30 on the possible list.

soltrain21
09-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Could have been razzing him, could be he didn't know what Ozzie did.

You don't hug someone you don't like. Well, outside of family at least.

I've hugged plenty of people that were leaving a job or whatever and told them "good luck, we will keep in touch!" and I never liked them at all.

Domeshot17
09-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Is it just me, or does it feel different with Mark this time around? Back in 2007, fans were chanting every game, making signs to bring him back. I remember being at what I thought was his last start in 07 before the deadline and hearing 30,000 plus chant resign Buehrle.This year, I can't remember anything significant like that. Hell, I would not have expected the park to be empty tonight.

CWSpalehoseCWS
09-27-2011, 09:25 PM

Got to remember that the $2 Mil has got to pay for next years manager as well. But I agree with you. Trade Danks/Q to get some youth in the system and re-sign the face of the pitching staff. It would be nice to have him retire as a Sox player. Seems like no player really spends their entire career anymore on one team.

Frater Perdurabo
09-27-2011, 10:02 PM
KW was ready to move on from AJ and sign Olivo, when JR personally intervened to re-sign AJ.

Even if KW doesn't plan/want/think he can afford to bring back Buehrle, I think JR will intervene to make sure Buehrle stays.

Domeshot17
09-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Well, Buehrle surely didn't just act like a man who expects to return, that wasn't a thanks for coming out tip, that was a thanks for the career tip.

Frater Perdurabo
09-27-2011, 10:13 PM
This doesn't make up all the money, but I can see payroll space being cleared to help re-sign Buehrle through any combination of these moves:

1. Trade Quentin for prospects and put Viciedo in LF

2. Let Pierre go and put DeAza in RF

3. Replace Vizquel with Escobar as utility IF

4. Replace Castro with Flowers as backup C

5. Trade Thornton for prospects and replace with Reed

6. Replace Pena with Axelrod

7. Not pick up Frasor's option and replace with Lindsey/Infante/etc.

8. Trade Ohman for prospects and replace with young reliever

Even if we must go young with the entire middle relief corps, we still have six starters (Buehrle, Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Humber, Stewart) and a solid late inning trio (Santos, Crain, Sale).

soxinem1
09-27-2011, 10:37 PM
This doesn't make up all the money, but I can see payroll space being cleared to help re-sign Buehrle through any combination of these moves:

1. Trade Quentin for prospects and put Viciedo in LF

2. Let Pierre go and put DeAza in RF

3. Replace Vizquel with Escobar as utility IF

4. Replace Castro with Flowers as backup C

5. Trade Thornton for prospects and replace with Reed

6. Replace Pena with Axelrod

7. Not pick up Frasor's option and replace with Lindsey/Infante/etc.

8. Trade Ohman for prospects and replace with young reliever

Even if we must go young with the entire middle relief corps, we still have six starters (Buehrle, Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Humber, Stewart) and a solid late inning trio (Santos, Crain, Sale).

1. Yes to the trade, but see #2.
2. Yes, but LF might be better for D'Aza. Even at his best, his HR/RBI numbers might be better served in LF, with Tank in RF.
3. Yes, however utility players are a dime a dozen. We may not have to settle for Escobar.
4. Yes, time to see what Flowers has. In fact, it might be platoon time.
5. Reed is a righty, however he may replace Frasor/Pena.
6. You can replace Pena with anyone and get a better result.
7. Maybe.
8. Ohman for prospects in a walk year? What young lefty will replace him?

I believe Floyd will be the first one to go via trade, and Danks second. And I have real doubts about Stewart making 30-32 starts. I just do not see him having the stuff to win as a starter.

And with that lineup, would Buehrle really want to come back?

2012 could be ugly, as in 1988 ugly.

jdm2662
09-27-2011, 11:07 PM
Does anyone think Mark simply wants a change? He's been here and in the AL for 12 years. That's quite a long time. I suspected he wanted to go to the NL should he decide to pitch again.

DSpivack
09-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Does anyone think Mark simply wants a change? He's been here and in the AL for 12 years. That's quite a long time. I suspected he wanted to go to the NL should he decide to pitch again.

Not really, if the Sox had the resources to re-sign him I don't doubt he would love to stay.