PDA

View Full Version : Another Day At The Circus...

Lip Man 1
09-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Words absolutely fail me right now after reading this:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-guillens-status-remains-unresolved-after-35minute-meeting-with-reinsdorf-20110926,0,2751619.story

I'll give Ozzie credit, after the past few years, he's got some stones. I can't read this any other way than he's daring JR to either give him what he wants or fire him...it doesn't seem like if he's "forced" to return in 2012 and honor his contract that he'll make any real effort to try, and that's a shameful thing to think. (Although his actions leave open that possibility.)

Lip

Brian26
09-26-2011, 07:26 PM
"With the same contract I have for next year. I think I earned a little bit more than that," Guillen said.

I seriously think he's delusional at this point.

AZChiSoxFan
09-26-2011, 07:27 PM
What a joke. JR should just go ahead and fire the other coaches that he and KW want to fire. Tell Ozzie to deal with it.

Beyond that, if I was JR, I would wait until the Marlins hire a new manager, and then I would fire Ozzie.

kevingrt
09-26-2011, 07:31 PM
How can he say I should be fired and in that same interview say he wants a higher paying contract? Really Ozzie? You make no sense.

all*star quentin
09-26-2011, 07:32 PM
I completely understand, Mr. Guillen wanting a bigger piece of the pie. He's just going about it, in an offensive way. I can only imagine how that meeting went.

FYI...OG, the White Sox are in third place. :redface:

ilsox7
09-26-2011, 07:32 PM

It is sad he is doing this to JR, who he claims to hold in such high regard. Taking all of this public is just pathetic. The upside for the Sox is that no one will actually be upset that Ozzie is gone. In fact, this may help at the gate next year.

kevingrt
09-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Padilla did a good job summarizing today's pregame media visit from Ozzie: http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/7867/if-this-is-the-end-ozzie-guillen-kept-it-colorful?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

thomas35forever
09-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Ozzie just wants to live out the American Dream! Wouldn't you want more money given the opportunity?!

blandman
09-26-2011, 07:42 PM
I was thinking about posting something about how only people here would think this is ludicrous, blah blah Guillen's still one of the ten best managers and baseball, blah blah.

But instead I'm going to just mention that it's pretty telling that Guillen walked into his bosses' office and demanded and extension and a raise and was not fired on the spot. Leaving the team for somewhere else? Also not discussed. That, if anything, shows the disconnect between the vocal Ozzie haters and the reality of the situation. JR is NOT going to let angry fans force him to lose a good manager. By doing nothing, it shows that he's already negotiating with Guillen.

Goose
09-26-2011, 07:43 PM
It is sad he is doing this to JR, who he claims to hold in such high regard. Taking all of this public is just pathetic. The upside for the Sox is that no one will actually be upset that Ozzie is gone. In fact, this may help at the gate next year.

Yeah, a couple of weeks ago I made a strong comment about Ozzie and his character. I got blasted for it, but I think this reaffirms my position.

As much as it hurts me to say (Ozzie was always one of my top 5 favorite Soz of all time), he is a piece of ****.

Brian26
09-26-2011, 07:45 PM
But instead I'm going to just mention that it's pretty telling that Guillen walked into his bosses' office and demanded and extension and a raise and was not fired on the spot.

You think its telling that Ozzie couldn't outsmart Jerry Reinsdorf? Raise your expectations.

blandman
09-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Also, I feel the need to remind people that baseball is a part of the entertainment industry. Talking to the media about contract negotiations is, well, the norm.

blandman
09-26-2011, 07:46 PM
You think its telling that Ozzie couldn't outsmart Jerry Reinsdorf? Raise your expectations.

If Jerry was going to fire him, this was when it was going to happen. Doesn't mean they come to terms, but it's obvious Jerry's first choice is Ozzie.

ilsox7
09-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Yeah, a couple of weeks ago I made a strong comment about Ozzie and his character. I got blasted for it, but I think this reaffirms my position.

As much as it hurts me to say (Ozzie was always one of my top 5 favorite Soz of all time), he is a piece of ****.

In general, I've always liked Ozzie. I've thought for the last couple of years he should no longer be the manager of the White Sox. My hope, that I am still holding out, is that he leaves now, somewhat quietly, and the wounds heal by the 10 year celebration in 2015. He'll get his statue then.

But yea, Ozzie knows he will make bank with the Marlins, so in his mind, his best bet is to get fired here.

Brian26
09-26-2011, 07:50 PM
If Jerry was going to fire him, this was when it was going to happen. Doesn't mean they come to terms, but it's obvious Jerry's first choice is Ozzie.

The correct answer would be: Jerry's not going to fire him, pay him for next year and NOT get compensation back from the idiot Marlins.

Ozzie has no leverage here, and he's not exactly endearing himself to Sox fans in the process. Yeah, Ozzie, I hope your kids stop drinking and your wife stops shopping.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Got a text from the Score saying that sources say that tonight's game may be Ozzie's last as White Sox manager.

:praying:

Goose
09-26-2011, 07:51 PM

Or he's trying to get something for him where he would otherwise get nothing. You're wrong. If JR wanted Ozzie, he would have given him an extension.

blandman
09-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Or he's trying to get something for him where he would otherwise get nothing. You're wrong. If JR wanted Ozzie, he would have given him an extension.

Maybe JR wants to keep Ozzie, but doesn't want to give him an extension right now for fear of public reaction?

Remember Ozzie's last extension? Happened under the table after an even worse season. Nobody knew about until halfway through the next season.

Goose
09-26-2011, 07:56 PM
Got a text from the Score saying that sources say that tonight's game may be Ozzie's last as White Sox manager.

:praying:

Hmmmm...interesting. Why not just wait 3 or so more games? Maybe JR has had enough too, but I don't see it happening without at least trying to get something from Miami

ilsox7
09-26-2011, 07:59 PM
The correct answer would be: Jerry's not going to fire him, pay him for next year and NOT get compensation back from the idiot Marlins.

Ozzie has no leverage here, and he's not exactly endearing himself to Sox fans in the process. Yeah, Ozzie, I hope your kids stop drinking and your wife stops shopping.

If he does get traded and we get anything more than Billy the Marlin, it is a steal for the Sox.

blandman
09-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Trading with the Marlins seems to be off the table.

Ozzie obviously wants to be here. Doubt he gives the okay for a Marlins deal. Why have the team you're going to give up something when he could just force his current employer, that he prefers, to keep him or fire him? Getting something from the Marlins is a pipe dream that needs to be dropped. Not gonna happen. Made more sense with multiple years left on Ozzie's deal.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-26-2011, 08:07 PM

Ozzie obviously wants to be here. Doubt he gives the okay for a Marlins deal. Why have the team you're going to give up something when he could just force his current employer, that he prefers, to keep him or fire him? Getting something from the Marlins is a pipe dream that needs to be dropped. Not gonna happen. Made more sense with multiple years left on Ozzie's deal.

Wait, Ozzie has a no-trade clause? Since when?

If he doesn't, he has no say in where he goes.

soltrain21
09-26-2011, 08:10 PM

So all of these reports going on right now aren't true? Okay, Munch.

blandman
09-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Wait, Ozzie has a no-trade clause? Since when?

If he doesn't, he has no say in where he goes.

Manager contracts are not trade-able without permission, they are not players.

Rocky Soprano
09-26-2011, 09:35 PM

Look who is wrong again!
Shocked I tell you, shocked.

Tragg
09-26-2011, 10:34 PM

One of the articles I read quoted him going on and on about the need to feed his family....well he does have a couple of sons who don't seem to have (nor seem to want) gainful employment.

Because he's getting a new contract at double the pay. He deserves more than 2 Mill, you know that. That is why.

voodoochile
09-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Ozzies is done so this thread is too.