PDA

View Full Version : Busch Stadium vs. Target Field

MARTINMVP
09-26-2011, 11:08 AM
This past weekend, I was in St. Louis with my Cub fan in-laws for the Cubs/Cardinals game on Saturday. This was my second visit to Busch. The weekend before, I was in Minneapolis and got to see a Twins/Indians game at Target Field (my first time there).

I'm not a ball park expert by any means, so I am more interested in what other WSI'ers who have visited these ball parks think...

- I've read reviews elsewhere about some of the limitations with the upper deck and the narrow concourse size at Target Field. With the Twins long out of it, their ballpark was about a 1/3 empty, if not half. Therefore, the narrow upper deck concourse and lack of ramps/escalators to the upper deck and back down wasn't a problem for us.

- Food at Target was atrocious, per our experience. My buddy who I went with agreed also. The sausage had a weird taste, while my friend's burger was cold and the American cheese slice was just put on after the burger was cooked. I later ordered nachos with meat, and the meat also was cold. I had a vanilla/chocolate ice cream cone which was really good (hard to screw that up).

- I like how you can walk around the concourses and still see the field at Target, unlike Busch.

- Food stands were more plentiful at Target, for sure.

- Both stadiums have a good view the skyline within their parks. St. Louis, I think has the more impressive skyline, overall, and from within Busch, the view of the buildings, capitol building and the arch is just amazing.

- I like how both stadiums are within downtown. Target Field is just right there and all the cool bars and restaurants are so close. St. Louis, in my opinion, is more dense and the cool restaurants/bars are further from Busch. It also seems that there isn't really much around Busch, itself except for the one outdoor patio place right by where the old ballpark was.

- Overall, I liked Target better. Again, I'm not a ballpark expert, but just with the look and feel of the ballpark, and also with my preference of Minneapolis to St. Louis (see below), I have more of a desire to see more games at Target.

- As for the respective cities, I liked Minneapolis better. People there seemed nicer (where as the folks in St. Louis seem no different than Chicagoans) and I liked how the downtown was laid out.

- On a side note, I was at Miller Park earlier this year and really enjoyed that experience. Unfortunately, that game was indoors, though despite that, I really like what they did with the ball park. Would like to go back when the room is open. I suspect I'd like Target Field better, but I'd like to know for sure.

And despite any limitations with our ballpark, the Cell is still my favorite. Definitely some bias with that decision... and I don't care!

DSpivack
09-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Just per your side note, I don't get the love for Miller Park. Seems a sterile as any dome to me.

I have yet to get to Busch III or Target Field. I would love to take trips to see them next summer.

hi im skot
09-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Cardinals fans weird me out.

Nellie_Fox
09-26-2011, 11:57 AM
I haven't been to Busch, but I think Target Field is great. As far as food goes, get the walleye fingers from Hrbek's, right behind home plate. Very tasty, and so hot I couldn't eat them at first.

soxfanatlanta
09-26-2011, 02:40 PM
I had the chance to go to two Cardinals games last year; I really enjoyed the ballpark. I agree that the area is lacking night life by the park; that whole city is on a very steady decline. You walk several blocks away from the park, and you will not see a soul after 5:00PM. It's very sad.

Fenway
09-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Downtown Minneapolis at night is very safe - St. Louis can get dicey.

I hope to make Target next year but I have had several media friends say it is the best of them all or at worst equal to PNC.

The Twins did have the advantage of seeing what worked and what didn't.

MARTINMVP
09-26-2011, 11:43 PM

I hope to make Target next year but I have had several media friends say it is the best of them all or at worst equal to PNC.

I think its fair to say that both neighborhoods have their bad parts.

In both cities, I found myself walking alone after midnight after I had enough night life. In Minneapolis, I was all over on Hennepin, Nicolet Mall Drive, 5th St., 6th St., etc. In STL, I never left Washington Ave.

SOXPHILE
09-27-2011, 08:38 AM
I just went to St.Louis for the first time in over 20 years this past Labor Day weekend. Wound up going to the Cardinals-Reds game on that Saturday. I thought it was a very nice stadium. It was kind of neat walking in off the street right into that outfield patio area, without going through any tunnels or up any ramps. The area and the city itself seemed pretty much the same otherwise. Kind of weird that it's just an empty field across the street where Busch II was. There is a baseball diamond there too, but that's it. Who knows, they may still have other plans for that piece of real estate.

Parrothead
09-27-2011, 09:09 PM

Well, in my opinon, your media friends are 100% wrong. There is PNC and everyone else is a distant second.

Frater Perdurabo
09-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Well, in my opinon, your media friends are 100% wrong. There is PNC and everyone else is a distant second.

AT&T Park in SF is amazing.

Overlooking SF Bay > overlooking a river in Pittsburgh

CHISOXFAN13
09-27-2011, 10:41 PM
AT&T Park in SF is amazing.

Overlooking SF Bay > overlooking a river in Pittsburgh

The bridges are pretty damn cool to look at as well.

I've been to 28 parks and PNC is at the top. I do think AT&T will take over that spot when I get there, but they are both great parks.

And I'm a HUGE fan of Target Field.

Parrothead
09-28-2011, 07:04 AM
The bridges are pretty damn cool to look at as well.

I've been to 28 parks and PNC is at the top. I do think AT&T will take over that spot when I get there, but they are both great parks.

And I'm a HUGE fan of Target Field.

I have been to many parks pasat and present (majors and minors). Only need both New Yorks, Texas, Fla and Az for the currents and PNC is by far the best I have seen. That is my opinion only.