PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Sox in the red

#1swisher
09-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Brooks Boyer admits the WS are in the red, doesn't mention exact numbers.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/section/blogs?blogID=business-of-sports&plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&uid=f5555513-c950-4657-a93a-80db16fdf4ad&plckPostId=Blog:f5555513-c950-4657-a93a-80db16fdf4adPost:55721244-7830-4b1a-8541-dc136cb6e30f&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

kittle42
09-26-2011, 11:04 AM
I have some exact numbers for him:

.161, 11, 42.

Lip Man 1
09-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Brooks also hints a little about the dynamic ticket pricing concept being around again. Possibly expanded.

Lip

roylestillman
09-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Brooks also hints a little about the dynamic ticket pricing concept being around again. Possibly expanded.

Lip
Unbelievable. Sure look to the airlines for a model of profitability. Why not eliminate seats or charge more for aisle seats.

This organization needs a housecleaning.

asindc
09-26-2011, 11:38 AM

.161, 11, 42.

Yep, those are the only numbers I need to know to explain why the Sox lost money this season.

Noneck
09-26-2011, 11:40 AM
The way Boyer explains dynamic ticket pricing confuses me. He compares it to the airline industry about buying early before prices increase due to filling up the capacity of the plane. This airline style of pricing has more to do with when you meet capacity rather than when you buy tickets. If tickets are originally sold at 30% below face and available seats remain unoccupied , prices should decrease as I believe what happens in the airline industry. I wonder if he is just trying to get people to buy early.

kittle42
09-26-2011, 11:50 AM
The way Boyer explains dynamic ticket pricing confuses me. He compares it to the airline industry about buying early before prices increase due to filling up the capacity of the plane. This airline style of pricing has more to do with when you meet capacity rather than when you buy tickets. If tickets are originally sold at 30% below face and available seats remain unoccupied , prices should decrease as I believe what happens in the airline industry. I wonder if he is just trying to get people to buy early.

The difference is people want to or have to fly. No one wants to or has to see crappy Sox baseball.

Noneck
09-26-2011, 11:51 AM
The difference is people want to or have to fly. No one wants to or has to see crappy Sox baseball.

Which makes his comparison even more confusing.

Nellie_Fox
09-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Unbelievable. Sure look to the airlines for a model of profitability. Why not eliminate seats or charge more for aisle seats.How about charging for headsets to hear the PA announcer, or build the scoreboard into the seatback in front of you, and you have to pay to turn it on?

The difference is people want to or have to fly. No one wants to or has to see crappy Sox baseball.Some people may HAVE to fly, but flying today is a much more miserable experience than even the worst day at the ballpark.

DSpivack
09-26-2011, 11:57 AM
How about charging for headsets to hear the PA announcer, or build the scoreboard into the seatback in front of you, and you have to pay to turn it on?

Some people may HAVE to fly, but flying today is a much more miserable experience than even the worst day at the ballpark.

Well, the point there is that airlines have a captive audience, so to speak. It's an often necessary form of travel, not entertainment that is always optional as White Sox games are. Thus, their business models would be completely different.

salty99
09-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Unless someone can come up with some compelling arguing for dynamic pricing, I hate it.

Fenway
09-26-2011, 12:49 PM

There is a reason that the low budget buses have gained a strong following.

Megabus is $15 from Boston to NY - Amtrak is close to $100 and airline walkup is $165 or more.

Anything more than 350 miles you have to fly.

Tiered pricing may work at 1060 W Addison but not on 35th St. They still don't get it.

Nellie_Fox
09-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Anything more than 350 miles you have to fly. Nonsense. Not only do I always drive to visit family in the Chicago area (440 miles) but in June I drove to New Orleans rather than deal with the misery that is air travel these days.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-26-2011, 01:17 PM

.161, 11, 42.

.227, 13, 44 as well.

Remember how those two said they were going to "put the team on their shoulders" in the beginning of the season?

:walnuts
"Sure didn't take them long to ask me to do it instead."

TomBradley72
09-26-2011, 01:51 PM

He seems to imply that the standard ticket price doesn't go up- but that the customer gets deeper discounts the longer in advance they purchase- but it sure doesn't feel that way to me.

The White Sox having the 4th highest ticket prices in MLB is riduculous- they are really out of touch with reality-

Noneck
09-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Nonsense. Not only do I always drive to visit family in the Chicago area (440 miles) but in June I drove to New Orleans rather than deal with the misery that is air travel these days.

20 hours of driving compared to a 3hr flight. Granted air travel stinks but the trade off is none too sweet. To each his own.

DSpivack
09-26-2011, 01:59 PM
20 hours of driving compared to a 3hr flight. Granted air travel stinks but the trade off is none too sweet. To each his own.

Also, driving might require an extra day or two off work.

Foulke You
09-26-2011, 01:59 PM
To me, the dynamic pricing thing seems designed to gouge the walk-up ticket buyers which makes no sense when your team is struggling to fill the building in the first place. The "dynamic" strategy likely backfires because someone thinking about going to the game on that day will check on Ticketmaster for pricing only to be stunned to see that a lower level seat for a game against the Red Sox has risen to $59.00 (before fees) and now decides to take a pass on it. I know this happened to me this year.

Noneck
09-26-2011, 02:00 PM
He seems to imply that the standard ticket price doesn't go up- but that the customer gets deeper discounts the longer in advance they purchase- but it sure doesn't feel that way to me.

And he compares it to airlines who adjust their prices based on occupancy rate, not solely on when ticket is purchased.

salty99
09-26-2011, 02:03 PM
To me, the dynamic pricing thing seems designed to gouge the walk-up ticket buyers which makes no sense when your team is struggling to fill the building in the first place. The "dynamic" strategy likely backfires because someone thinking about going to the game on that day will check on Ticketmaster for pricing only to be stunned to see that a lower level seat for a game against the Red Sox has risen to $59.00 (before fees) and now decides to take a pass on it. I know this happened to me this year.

Agree 100%

hi im skot
09-26-2011, 02:11 PM

Agree 100%

I feel like we're talking to a brick wall at this point. The Sox want fan feedback, and seem to essentially ignore it.

I suppose I should sit back and see what they actually do in 2012, but that interview doesn't exactly sound promising.

I'm just glad Stubhub is around.

TommyGavinFloyd
09-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Yeah this dynamic pricing just doesn't work. If they keep this up I will never buy tickets from the Sox again.

Looking at Tuesday's game, they want $68 a ticket for tickets on the first base side. On Stubhub they are going for as low as $9. Even the far corners of the upper deck they want $22, which isn't that bad. But you guys know this stadium, those seats are almost always open. Why not discount them? Stubhub has them for .98 cents!

The dynamic pricing is obviously a way for them to drive up prices and say "that's what the market bears". But it's funny how the "market" never tells them, yeah you guys suck and are lucky to draw 20,000 people right now, maybe prices should be lowered a bit.

kittle42
09-26-2011, 02:32 PM
Yeah this dynamic pricing just doesn't work. If they keep this up I will never buy tickets from the Sox again.

Looking at Tuesday's game, they want $68 a ticket for tickets on the first base side. On Stubhub they are going for as low as $9. Even the far corners of the upper deck they want $22, which isn't that bad. But you guys know this stadium, those seats are almost always open. Why not discount them? Stubhub has them for .98 cents!

The dynamic pricing is obviously a way for them to drive up prices and say "that's what the market bears". But it's funny how the "market" never tells them, yeah you guys suck and are lucky to draw 20,000 people right now, maybe prices should be lowered a bit.

Ha, how funny. The stubhub prices (and lack of demand, there, too) are part of the reason I decided to abandon my participation in our season ticket plan for next year. Just very difficult to get any money back on those games you can't - or don't want to - make.

downstairs
09-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Nonsense. Not only do I always drive to visit family in the Chicago area (440 miles) but in June I drove to New Orleans rather than deal with the misery that is air travel these days.

I used to drive from Chicago to New Orleans all the time, but just can't take the long trip anymore. I do loathe flying.

By the way- how did you enjoy NOLA?

Nellie_Fox
09-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Also, driving might require an extra day or two off work.I'm a professor. School was done for the year.

I used to drive from Chicago to New Orleans all the time, but just can't take the long trip anymore. I do loathe flying.

By the way- how did you enjoy NOLA?I've been there before, but I had a great time. Beignet and coffee for breakfast, shrimp po boy or muffaletta for lunch, red beans and rice with andouille sausage for dinner, how can you go wrong?

34 Inch Stick
09-27-2011, 12:41 PM
I've always thought that the place they are really missing the boat is the entry level price of a ticket. Make those seats in the far corner of the stadium $9 or less and you will get people to buy them on tough nights.

NardiWasHere
09-27-2011, 12:58 PM

Which makes his comparison even more confusing.

Flying and the White Sox are more similar than you think. I need that little vomit bag when I experience both.

chisoxfanatic
09-27-2011, 01:39 PM
I've always thought that the place they are really missing the boat is the entry level price of a ticket. Make those seats in the far corner of the stadium $9 or less and you will get people to buy them on tough nights.
They also need more pricing tiers at least in the upper level. Seats in the last row of the sections in the upper corners (like 507/558) should not cost the same as seats in the first rows of the sections just past the bases.

CLUBHOUSE KID
09-27-2011, 03:01 PM

The White Sox having the 4th highest ticket prices in MLB is riduculous- they are really out of touch with reality-

This season buying early did not help and are we really comparing this to Southwest Airlines?

GoGoCrede
09-28-2011, 06:21 PM

Wait till they allow cell phones. I think I'd rather walk.

HomeFish
09-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Dynamic pricing clearly doesn't work for us the fans, but I thought it was working well for the Sox. It lets them make more money from a smaller crowd.

tstrike2000
09-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Sox are in the red? We have a couple of sorry *******s that can give their contracts back at any time if they wish.

ChicagoG19
09-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Obviously the Sox didn't learn from their errors this year based on how Brooks is talking about next year. Bring back the diamond sock patch!

DeadMoney
09-28-2011, 06:51 PM

You'd think someone on the White Sox marketing team would present this argument to at least play devil's advocate (or something). The entire dynamic pricing idea, especially with the ticket marketplace these days, is an absurd one. In this economy (when there are already a limited amount of ticket buyers to begin with), moving TO a system that prices people out as it gets closer to game just seems really stupid to me.

LITTLE NELL
09-28-2011, 07:09 PM
How about charging for headsets to hear the PA announcer, or build the scoreboard into the seatback in front of you, and you have to pay to turn it on?

Some people may HAVE to fly, but flying today is a much more miserable experience than even the worst day at the ballpark.

Agree, I'd rather have season tickets for the 1970 White Sox than hop on an airplane.

doublem23
09-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Wait till they allow cell phones. I think I'd rather walk.

Lord, I don't even want to think about that, it'll be like being stuck in an L car for 4 hours.

Nellie_Fox
09-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Wait till they allow cell phones. I think I'd rather walk.Think how loud they'll talk because of the background noise on a plane that they'll think they have to talk over. You'll hear every word of their conversations from twenty rows away, unless it gets lost in the cacophony of all the other calls going on at the same time.

Mohoney
09-29-2011, 12:08 AM
Also, driving might require an extra day or two off work.

Perfect. An extra day off work to hit up Graceland on the way down there.

I can't speak for the extra mileage from Mankato, but the road trip from Chicago to New Orleans was great both times I went.

I'm with Nellie on this one. I would much rather drive it than put up with flying.

DSpivack
09-29-2011, 12:23 AM
Perfect. An extra day off work to hit up Graceland on the way down there.

I can't speak for the extra mileage from Mankato, but the road trip from Chicago to New Orleans was great both times I went.

I'm with Nellie on this one. I would much rather drive it than put up with flying.

I don't disagree, I'm just saying it's not possible for everyone to do.

My one visit to New Orleans I drove there (from Atlanta, not that far a drive) with friends during fall break in college. I loved it.

kaufsox
09-29-2011, 10:23 AM
Hate to doubt Brooks, but until baseball teams open their books, I have trouble with anyone from management crying poor.

asindc
09-29-2011, 10:28 AM
hate to doubt brooks, but until baseball teams open their books, i have trouble with anyone from management crying poor.

+1

GoGoCrede
09-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Lord, I don't even want to think about that, it'll be like being stuck in an L car for 4 hours.

And you can't even change seats if the guy next to you is being loud, or get off at the next stop. I suppose you could lock yourself in the bathroom.

Think how loud they'll talk because of the background noise on a plane that they'll think they have to talk over. You'll hear every word of their conversations from twenty rows away, unless it gets lost in the cacophony of all the other calls going on at the same time.

They don't make sleeping pills strong enough for me to block out that nonsense. Please, deity, no cell phones on planes.

CPditka
09-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Ive always wondered why they dont view the ticket itself as a loss leader, and make it very affordable (UD, corners, etc). I have to think that selling extra concessions, memorabilia, and actually making new fans would be worth it.

As for season tickets, the fact they dont get 1/2 price monday is insane. The "dynamic" pricing for teams (Yanks, Red Sox, Cubs) should not effect ST's. It should be the flat rate of a standard game x 81, if not a 10% discount to reward them. It never should be MORE than box office tickets.

kittle42
09-29-2011, 02:35 PM
As for season tickets, the fact they dont get 1/2 price monday is insane. The "dynamic" pricing for teams (Yanks, Red Sox, Cubs) should not effect ST's. It should be the flat rate of a standard game x 81, if not a 10% discount to reward them. It never should be MORE than box office tickets.

Couldn't agree more. I am also a Hawks ticket holder and they do not change the values for premium games for ST holders.

Steelrod
09-29-2011, 02:54 PM
I can't speak for the other plans, but I have full seasons, and all the prices are less than individual game tickets.

kittle42
09-29-2011, 03:19 PM
I can't speak for the other plans, but I have full seasons, and all the prices are less than individual game tickets.

Except the Mondays.

mrfourni
09-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Except the Mondays.

And those are almost double the price of single game tickets, making selling tickets for face value nearly impossible.