PDA

View Full Version : MLB Memorable Moments

HawkDJ
07-14-2002, 06:13 PM
What are your top MLB moments out of the 30 possible to vote for? If you don't know what I'm talking about go here...
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/events/memorable_moments/mlb_memorable_moments.jsp

There are so many, it was hard for me to vote for 5 but I did it. Here they are (in chronoligcal order)
1939 Lou Gehrig
1941 Joe DiMaggio
1947 Jackie Robinson
1951 Bobby Thomson
1954 Willie Mays

oldcomiskey
07-14-2002, 06:19 PM
to me a memorable moment is something you seen happen live

Fisk hitting the pole in 75---Fisk tagging out two runners at home plate--anybody know who hit the ball and who the runners are?and for extra credit which Sox outfielder misplayed the ball to begin with
Buckner in 86----people tend to forget that Bob Stanley threw a wild pitch to put Ray Knight on second
there was Dick Allens homer on a cold Minnesota day--and that was in Metropoitan stadium
so many memories.....

Spiff
07-14-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey

Fisk hitting the pole in 75---Fisk tagging out two runners at home plate--anybody know who hit the ball and who the runners are?and for extra credit which Sox outfielder misplayed the ball to begin with
Buckner in 86----people tend to forget that Bob Stanley threw a wild pitch to put Ray Knight on second
there was Dick Allens homer on a cold Minnesota day--and that was in Metropoitan stadium
so many memories.....

i only remember as far back as joe carter against the phillies, so i'd say....

#1- d-backs over yankees
#2- carter's home run
#3- bonds breaks the record
#4- the ichiro invasion
#5- ripken 2131

re: fisk- wasn't it against the yankees? i thought mattingly was one of the runners...

oldcomiskey
07-14-2002, 06:25 PM
it was NY and Mattingly was not a baserunner

HawkDJ
07-14-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Spiff

i only remember as far back as joe carter against the phillies, so i'd say....

#1- d-backs over yankees
#2- carter's home run
#3- bonds breaks the record
#4- the ichiro invasion
#5- ripken 2131

re: fisk- wasn't it against the yankees? i thought mattingly was one of the runners...

I don't think memorable moments should be ones you've seen yourself. Rather I think they should be ones you haven't seen but you know about, showing how memorable they are. Some of those are nice but I can't help but argue the first black player, the unbreakable DiMaggio record and the most famous catch are more memorable than Ichiro.

Spiff
07-14-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2

I don't think memorable moments should be ones you've seen yourself. Rather I think they should be ones you haven't seen but you know about, showing how memorable they are. Some of those are nice but I can't help but argue the first black player, the unbreakable DiMaggio record and the most famous catch are more memorable than Ichiro.

not if you dont remember them lol. what am i going to say, "oh when mays made that catch i got goosebumps all over" sure it's a great thing to see a clip of but it's different live. those are the ones that are memorable because i was around to see them.

Soxheads
07-14-2002, 07:30 PM
Gibson's homer has to be right up there.

DVG
07-14-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey

---Fisk tagging out two runners at home plate--anybody know who hit the ball and who the runners are?and for extra credit which Sox outfielder misplayed the ball to begin with

I remember that. The hitter was Rickey Henderson, the runners
were Bobby Meacham (I think) and Dale Berra. The outfielder
who misplayed it I believe was Luis Salazar. I know the final
score was 6-5 Sox in eleven innings. It was a wild-arse game.
I didn't see the actual play, just a replay of it later that night,
which is why I'm fuzzed on a couple of details. I do remember
the game itself, though.

Incidentally, my vote for most memorable moment would be
Jackie Robinson's debut in 1947. That is certainly the most
significant moment in the history of baseball, certainly more
important than Fisk flailing his arms like a penguin and Kirk
Gibson rounding the bases pumping his arms and screaming
like a psycho.

ISUSoxfan
07-15-2002, 01:56 AM
I picked Joe D, Ted Williams, Jackie Robinson, Bill Buckner, and Kirk Gibson. I only saw the most recent 2 live, but that 56 game hitting streak is the toughest of all the records to break, and no one has batted .400 in the last 60 years. I hesitated to vote for these 2 only because they happened during segregation. I put them on my list because all the players can do is play against the competition on the field. They had no power to change the rules. However, there is a very strong case to be made for those records being invalid. Jackie Robinson is my next choice because he was the begining of the movement that gave legitimacy to MLB. I picked Bill Buckner only because Leon Durham was not on the list. Buckner learned that play from Durham. Tommy Lasorda sending a disabled batter to make the last out of a World Series game against Eck seemed like a terrible move. Kirk Gibson could not have made it to first on a base hit to right, but he didn't have to because he hit it over the right fielder and the fence to win the game.

ISUSoxfan
07-15-2002, 02:33 AM
There are a few choices on that ballot that don't belong.

Fisk's homerun was dramitic, but irrelevant. His team lost game 7. If we're including teams that lost the World Series, the 1984 Padres have to be on that list for overcoming a 0-2 game deficit to win the 5-game NLCS.

And while we're on the topic of the Cubs choking, how the heck did the 1969 Mets get left off the list? What they accomplished was much better than Cal Ripken.

Ripken hurt his team bad by playing every day through mild injuries and terrible slumps. His team never made it back to the World Series after 1983, partially because he was not well rested enough to be 100% productive. A good manager would have benched him during several of his slumps and would have forced him to take days off to stay fresh and help the team, rather than make the record books.

Ichiro is a great player, and he deserved the ROY and MVP awards last year, but his arrival is not one of the top 30 moments in baseball history. Game 7 of the 1997 World Series was much more deserving of the list, and I'm sure older people can think of several more events that are far more memorable than Ichiro.

Paulwny
07-15-2002, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by DVG

I remember that. The hitter was Rickey Henderson, the runners
were Bobby Meacham (I think) and Dale Berra. The outfielder
who misplayed it I believe was Luis Salazar. I know the final
score was 6-5 Sox in eleven innings. It was a wild-arse game.
I didn't see the actual play, just a replay of it later that night,
which is why I'm fuzzed on a couple of details. I do remember
the game itself, though.

This looks right. I remember Dale Berra came off as the "idiot" after this play.

raul12
07-15-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
What are your top MLB moments out of the 30 possible to vote for? If you don't know what I'm talking about go here...
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/events/memorable_moments/mlb_memorable_moments.jsp

There are so many, it was hard for me to vote for 5 but I did it. Here they are (in chronoligcal order)
1939 Lou Gehrig
1941 Joe DiMaggio
1947 Jackie Robinson
1951 Bobby Thomson
1954 Willie Mays

i heard the mastercard commercial yesterday which was saying that they will announce baseball's most memorable moment at the '02 WS....ironic that there won't be one. sort of the same irony as the ted williams MVP award going to no one.

re: the discussion between having seen the moment to call it memorable--i'm not sure about that. the last thing i want is ichiro being the most memorable moment just b/c a bunch of kids didn't see some of the greatest hitters/pitchers/moments of all time.

Moses_Scurry
07-15-2002, 03:44 PM
My personal most memorable moments were Harold's sac fly to clinch the division in '83 (I was there, but I was only 10!)

and

Wilson Alvarez's no-hitter (saw it on TV)

oldcomiskey
07-15-2002, 06:08 PM
that is correct on the trivia--and who says a team had to win for it to be memorable---I will always remember a limping Bill Buckner after the Mets won game 6 in 1986