PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Wild Card fact

Whitesox029
09-25-2011, 05:15 PM
For the first time in the entire Wild Card era, it appears that all six division winners will finish with better records than both Wild Cards, meaning the top 6 teams in baseball will all win division titles. 1 win by Texas coupled with 1 win by Arizona or 1 loss by Boston coupled with 1 loss by Atlanta would clinch this.

In 1999, both Wild Cards finished with the 4th-best records in their respective leagues, but the NL Wild Card Mets finished 1.5 games better than the AL West Champion Rangers (1 game better before their 5-0 victory over the Reds in game 163).

This would appear to be an argument in favor of having one more wild card, as it would further minimize the occurrence of teams with better records missing the playoffs while teams with worse records make the playoffs because of their divisional standing.

I think I am still against more wild cards though...cheapens the regular season too much and will assuredly send the WS into November.

downstairs
09-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Wow- first time ever? I'd have thought it would have happened at least once. I guess there's always been at least one division of all stinkers year to year.