PDA

View Full Version : Additional Wild Card teams coming

thomas35forever
09-25-2011, 01:58 PM
If not next year, definitely the year after.

Zakath
09-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Selig may decide to move it up to this year, just to save the Red Sox.

Whitesox029
09-25-2011, 05:00 PM
If not next year, definitely the year after.
I sort of assumed there'd be a link associated with this thread...everyone with half an eye open knows this is probably going to happen, but is there a new development which says it's definitive?

soxinem1
09-25-2011, 05:13 PM
I am all for this idea, however they should make this at least a best of three format.

Hitmen77
09-29-2011, 10:58 AM
If we had Selig's plan in place this year, there would have been no excitement last night.

PaleHoser
09-29-2011, 11:12 AM
I hope someone comes to their senses and re-thinks this.

With 10 teams in the playoffs, 1/3 of all teams qualify. This isn't the NHL, and last night (which was absolutely amazing, and a reminder that the baseball season is a marathon and not a sprint) doesn't mean anything.

When your team wins the second Wild Card, do you chant "We're #5"?

kittle42
09-29-2011, 11:15 AM
I hope someone comes to their senses and re-thinks this.

With 10 teams in the playoffs, 1/3 of all teams qualify. This isn't the NHL, and last night (which was absolutely amazing, and a reminder that the baseball season is a marathon and not a sprint) doesn't mean anything.

When your team wins the second Wild Card, do you chant "We're #5"?

Plus, baseball is unique in that a 162-game season should separate the wheat from the chaff much more so than any other sport - to reduce that to a group of 3 or 5 game series is silliness.

doublem23
09-29-2011, 11:17 AM
If we had Selig's plan in place this year, there would have been no excitement last night.

No, but you'd end up with the Sawx and Rays playing head-to-head for the right to advance, right? Doesn't that kind of guarantee you get last night's drama every single year? That's the way it was explained to me, WC1 vs. WC2 in a 3-game series or whatever.

hawkjt
09-29-2011, 11:23 AM
I like it. There is a limit,and it probably is 12,but some fans balked at going to divisions in each league and having anything more than just the World Series at the end.
At every change,some fans balk. Last nite was unique, and so was 1967 AL pennant race. It might not occur again for a decade or more...but it also might occur in two years with the additional wildcard.

Having more teams alive in September is a good thing,imo. Even this year,with the most improbable september runs by the Cards and Rays occurring,baseball was on low heat,back burner,with no real races until the last week. This move increases the possibility that more teams will play meaningful baseball in Sept.

kaufsox
09-29-2011, 11:31 AM
I kind of like it, but if they go to five playoff teams, I'd rather see them go to a single league table and take the top five. Bottom two play the first round, league winner gets a bye, middle two play a series for a berth in the LCS v. the winner of #1 v. 4/5. That isn't going to happen, so the additional wildcard would be ok.

asindc
09-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Right now, approximately 25% of MLB teams make the playoffs each year, less than the percentage in the other three major team sports. In no other sport does a team celebrate just for making the playoffs, and with good reason. It's damn hard to do so in MLB, as it should be. Expansion of the playoffs is just a money grab that will result in 83-86 win teams making the playoffs. I vote an emphatic no.

Hitmen77
09-29-2011, 11:45 AM
No, but you'd end up with the Sawx and Rays playing head-to-head for the right to advance, right? Doesn't that kind of guarantee you get last night's drama every single year? That's the way it was explained to me, WC1 vs. WC2 in a 3-game series or whatever.

Yes, that's the argument for it. You'd have a sudden death or something close to it for the WC teams every year.

To me, though, the excitement of the regular season coming down to the wire is far greater than merely just another round of playoffs. This year, what was on the line was the Braves and Red Sox both going home with no playoff appearance after choking away huge leads in the standings. That won't exactly be the case with another round of playoffs

Oh, I'm sure MLB will make a ton of money with the extra playoff games and telecasts, but it will feel more diluted rather than exciting every year.

That's my opinion. Maybe others like more rounds of playoffs like they have in other sports. :shrug:

hawkjt
09-29-2011, 11:57 AM
I understand both side of the debate. Every time you add playoff layers,it dilutes the regular season a bit more...I get that. I am on the other side of this arguement in college football,which I am admantly against because th regular season is the greatest,and it would reduce it.

The NBA playoffs are flat out great,imo.
For fans who are not into an NBA team,like I am with the Bulls,the regular season is a long and dreary prelude to the real season,the playoffs.

It is a difficult balance to strike,I admit,but I think baseball can handle two more playoff teams,with 3 game series immediately after the regular season to determine the true wildcard.

WhiteSox5187
09-29-2011, 01:36 PM

I think the drama of that wouldn't come anywhere near as close to the drama of last night. If that were the case both teams would have known by Sunday that they had both wild cards locked up and would have started setting up their starters for that. The excitement of last night might still be there but the excitement of this whole week would be lost. This is a bad idea and pretty much negates the point of a 162 game schedule, namely that the cream rises to the top. But hey, the owners make money and it ensures that Boston and the Yankees make the playoffs every year so it MUST be a good thing, right?!

thomas35forever
09-29-2011, 01:47 PM
Last night's events are exactly why expanding the playoff pool would be a bad idea. Everyone else has already said this, but it's worth repeating that under the proposed format, there's no drama last night. As long as there has been a postseason in Major League Baseball, there has always been one representative for each area (league, division, Wild Card). A second Wild Card team in each league would ruin it. No question about it. I just hope Bud was taking notes on what he saw. I know he probably wasn't and there's been too much talk about expanding the playoffs for it not to happen now, but it's definitely worth reconsideration.

sox1970
09-29-2011, 01:47 PM
They should eliminate divisions and play a balanced schedule. This is the only way it's going to work.

Top 3 make the playoffs, so MLB gets their best teams in the playoffs.

4 and 5 play a best-of-3 to get in.

If there are ties with 3 and 4 and/or 5 and 6, they play a one game on the day after the season.

Win totals don't matter to me as long as I know the top 5 teams in each league qualify in the right order. If 4 and 5 have 85 and 86 wins, who cares? The drama is there, and that would be good for baseball.

What I don't want is the potential 2nd best team being penalized for being located in a certain part of the country. With five teams qualifying, there really is no good reason for divisions.