PDA

View Full Version : Tobacco ban coming?

vinny
09-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Selig wants to put a tobacco ban in the new CBA.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-ap-bbo-baseball-tobacco,0,4195803.story

Mod Edit: Just a reminder, this is NOT a political debate or site. This is about a private company bargaining with their union employees. Don't let this devolve into the politics of regulation and intrusion. You won't get a warning.

Domeshot17
09-24-2011, 01:27 PM
This is just absolutely moronic. I grew up on baseball, played through college, and I never dipped because the pro's did. The only time I have ever heard that excuse is in the Sandlot. It is a parents job to educate and parent their child. What is next, players can't swear?

Brian26
09-24-2011, 01:35 PM
This is just absolutely moronic. I grew up on baseball, played through college, and I never dipped because the pro's did. The only time I have ever heard that excuse is in the Sandlot. It is a parents job to educate and parent their child. What is next, players can't swear?

Don't disagree with you, but it's completely disturbing to see Peavy walking off the mound with chaw on both sides.

Nellie_Fox
09-25-2011, 12:20 AM
Don't disagree with you, but it's completely disturbing to see Peavy walking off the mound with chaw on both sides.Why? What do you care? It's his health.

My hero as a kid was (obviously) Nellie Fox. He had the biggest chaw in the history of the game. I used to stuff Tootsie Rolls in my cheek so I could have the bulge and spit brown juice. But I never tried actual chew until I was in Viet Nam, and a country boy in my unit offered me some Beech Nut. I tried it for about a half hour (the country boy told me I had to give it time,) hated it, spit it out and never did it again.

WSox597
09-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Nellie, I'm with you on the chewing tobacco. I tried it once during my apprenticeship, and ran for the nearest water fountain.

At the time, I was smoking Lucky Strike non-filters, and I only tried the Skoal Bandits. Right for the water fountain.

I never tried any form of chewing tobacco again, and finally quit smoking in 1986.

I'm not an anti-smoking zealot, other than in my car or home, but after so long without, it looks strange to see somebody smoking.

To each his own.

Brian26
09-25-2011, 12:16 PM
Why? What do you care? It's his health.

I don't care.

Its only disturbing from the standpoint of how much education and information on the subject is available now than there was 35 or 40 years ago. It is similar to the feeling I have seeing some parents smoking in their car with the windows up and kids in the backseat. Really? It is not 1970 anymore.

Nellie_Fox
09-26-2011, 12:30 AM
I don't care.

Its only disturbing from the standpoint of how much education and information on the subject is available now than there was 35 or 40 years ago. It is similar to the feeling I have seeing some parents smoking in their car with the windows up and kids in the backseat. Really? It is not 1970 anymore.That is appalling behavior, but not at all similar to an adult choosing to use chew outdoors. I've never heard of the threat from "second-hand dip."