PDA

View Full Version : Sox: Please re-sign Buerhle

LITTLE NELL
09-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Its becoming very clear that we need to keep MB.
Humber looks like the best we can count on for him is as a 5th starter. He has been mediocre since the All-Star break.
Stewart had one great game and thats it, the Royals are pounding him tonight. His ERA is now .588.
Throw in the iffy status of Peavy and we can't let MB go to another team.

PS. Still say it was a mistake to get rid of Edwin Jackson.

Noneck
09-23-2011, 09:39 PM

No way they were going to be able to sign Jackson.

Brian26
09-23-2011, 09:44 PM

The bigger mistake, of course, was acquiring him in the first place, but that ship has sailed.

Thigpen "57"
09-23-2011, 09:44 PM
I second that emotion!

Like most others, I too have looked at the payroll scenario our beloved Palehose face this off-season. Buehrle is an "easy" subtraction to make in terms of pure cost, but I feel that the most tragic loss this organization and fan base will experience in 2011 will be if Mark does indeed move on.

What makes it even more frustrating, as has been hashed out on this site in every possible way, is the disgusting performance and cost of the two blackholes in the lineup, that I refuse to name in this post. If the loss of Mark becomes reality due to cost, then this organization will really alienate a disheartened and loyal group of fans even more so.

Peavey has one year left, then it's $13 mill off the books after the buyout. Can the Sox get creative or actually even Go All-in for real by stepping up and keeping Mark? I certainly hope so. An aging veteran, yes. But a workhouse who will always go out and give his best, look to the next game, and impart his demeanor and genuine humility in a sport that has too many overpaid, immature, but talented athletes.

DirtySox
09-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Meh.

While I respect and appreciate Mark, I'm kind of indifferent on re-signing him. It's hard to envision the White Sox being all that competitive next year even if they bring back Buehrle. He recently stated he was intrigued at the thought of pitching in the NL against new opponents, and as a baseball fan this would be entertaining to me. I'd love to see him with a perennial NL contender, though I haven't given much thought to a good fit. It will be an interesting off-season for sure.

doublem23
09-24-2011, 01:27 AM
If we're going to rag on Humber for his 2nd half, it also should be noted that Buehrle's splits have all declined the 2nd half, too. 6-4, 4.12 ERA, 90 H in 77.1 IP, 1.397 WHIP.

Buehrle looked best this year when the 6-man rotation was in full swing and he had a little extra rest. I don't know how the Sox can afford 6 SP next season, I'm not sure if 33-year-old Mark Buehrle is what they need, unless he's willing to give a significant hometown discount.

We will see.

Daver
09-24-2011, 01:31 AM
If we're going to rag on Humber for his 2nd half, it also should be noted that Buehrle's splits have all declined the 2nd half, too. 6-4, 4.12 ERA, 90 H in 77.1 IP, 1.397 WHIP.

Buehrle looked best this year when the 6-man rotation was in full swing and he had a little extra rest. I don't know how the Sox can afford 6 SP next season, I'm not sure if 33-year-old Mark Buehrle is what they need, unless he's willing to give a significant hometown discount.

We will see.

Yeah, lefties that pitch 200 innings a season and can pitch till they're well into their 40's just grow on trees.

doublem23
09-24-2011, 01:38 AM
Yeah, lefties that pitch 200 innings a season and can pitch till they're well into their 40's just grow on trees.

Guys who give up 14 baserunners and strike out fewer than 3 every nine innings just might.

I would love for the Sox to bring Buehrle back but, you're right, he is a dependable innings-eater, but A) he woud likely have to come way down from his current salary which is about in line with what Tim Lincecum makes with the Giants and B) this is my own little assumption, since we won't have much cash to play with, it's likely going to take some creativity, i.e. dumping Quentin, Danks, and/or Alexei. Not sure what kind of directional movement that is related to any of those.

We'll see, probably the only guy in the world that has any sort of understanding of the Sox's plan for this off-season is KW and I don't even know if he knows what he wants to do yet.

Boondock Saint
09-24-2011, 01:43 AM

That doesn't amount to much when roughly half of those innings aren't any good anymore. This is the 3rd year in a row where he's fallen off the planet in the 2nd half. So he goes for 200 innings still, cool. We need someone who will throw 200 good innings.

Daver
09-24-2011, 01:46 AM
That doesn't amount to much when roughly half of those innings aren't any good anymore. This is the 3rd year in a row where he's fallen off the planet in the 2nd half. So he goes for 200 innings still, cool. We need someone who will throw 200 good innings.

Is it the pitching or the defense behind the pitching? Or a combination of both?

Boondock Saint
09-24-2011, 01:49 AM
Is it the pitching or the defense behind the pitching? Or a combination of both?

I know the defense doesn't help him out as much as it used to, but the defense in the 2nd half of the season has been roughly the same as it's been in the 1st half. Like I said, this is a three year trend now. Isn't it more likely that he's just wearing down more easily than he used to?

thomas35forever
09-24-2011, 02:02 AM
Regardless of whether Mark wins 12 or 20 games, he's still one of the most reliable left-handers in all of baseball. He's had some tough luck, but I'm still confident in his abilities. Re-signing Mark should be our top priority in the offseason.

PalehosePlanet
09-24-2011, 02:05 AM
Its becoming very clear that we need to keep MB.
Humber looks like the best we can count on for him is as a 5th starter. He has been mediocre since the All-Star break.
Stewart had one great game and thats it, the Royals are pounding him tonight. His ERA is now .588.
Throw in the iffy status of Peavy and we can't let MB go to another team.

Before you get too down on Humber and Stewart keep in mind that these two are well above their career highs in innings pitched (especially Stewart) and are simply out of gas at this point.

I don't ever put too much stake in garbage time, playing out the string, September stats, be they good or bad, when it comes to young players.

As far as Buehrle coming back, I love the guy, but in all honesty it would be a good career move for him to go to the NL. He owns the best inter-league record (25-6?) which his agent could use as a bargaining tactic from an NL team for a better contract.

ShooterMcGavin
09-24-2011, 03:38 AM
It would be hard for me to imagine this team with Buehrle. I hope the Sox re-sign him.

soxfan1965
09-24-2011, 07:47 AM
Mark would be the ideal player to help bridge the team through the rebuilding process. But I would be surprised if they did resign him as he is the unfortunate consequence of the three bad contracts on the books, even with one expiring after 2012. Besides, maybe Mark wants to end his career in the Show-Me state with J Rooney and the NL. If the Sox had Brad Pitt as the GM since 2005, they probably wouldn't have the 3 bad contracts and could have the resources to resign him.

russ99
09-24-2011, 09:17 AM
The only way we're going to be able to re-sign Mark is to get rid of one of the dead weight contracts.

Mark may not get the $14M I suspect he can get on the open market (especially in the NL) from the Sox, but even $12M is going to be a tough sell with where the payroll is now, and where I suspect Jerry is going to cut it down to.

So if Kenny can get creative in November and dump one of Peavy, Dunn or Rios, then there's a chance.