PDA

View Full Version : Free Wifi coming to USCF

keloms
09-23-2011, 06:52 PM
Just got this email...

Dear Season Ticket Holder,

We are pleased to announce free Wi-Fi will be available in your section of U.S. Cellular Field for the remainder of the 2011 season. As part of this trial offer, we encourage you to test it throughout the final homestand and provide us with your feedback. We hope this will enhance your ballpark experience, as we are constantly striving to create the best possible environment to enjoy White Sox Baseball.

To access free Wi-Fi, select the wireless network "Boingo Hotspot" and open your internet browser.

We look forward to and appreciate your input.

Sincerely,

The Chicago White Sox

Boondock Saint
09-23-2011, 07:00 PM
Way to be way late to the party, Sox.

The last few years when I needed it, they didn't have it. Now that everybody and their dog has 3G and 4G phones/wireless hotspots, they're providing Wi-Fi.

ilsox7
09-23-2011, 07:05 PM

The last few years when I needed it, they didn't have it. Now that everybody and their dog has 3G and 4G phones/wireless hotspots, they're providing Wi-Fi.

Still a good thing they are adding it. There are times when the park you cannot get decent phone service b/c of the amount of people in the location. Also, for wifi only devices this will be cool.

captain54
09-23-2011, 07:22 PM
The only thing that would enhance my ballpark experience is to put a winner on the field.

voodoochile
09-23-2011, 07:45 PM

I see, so they do something to enhance fan experience, but since you personally don't need it, it sucks...:?:

kittle42
09-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Good. Better than watching the game.

GlassSox
09-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Usually a trial offer means that later it will cost $.

Fenway
09-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Usually a trial offer means that later it will cost $.

Both the Yankees and Red Sox have offered free wifi for several years.

On the other hand O'Hare is one of only a few airports that still charge for it...

DSpivack
09-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Both the Yankees and Red Sox have offered free wifi for several years.

On the other hand O'Hare is one of only a few airports that still charge for it...

Midway, too, no?

Fenway
09-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Midway, too, no?

Yes MDW as well

MOST airports now have a free option where you have to look at a 30 second video of some company and then you get a free hour.

dakuda
09-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Yes MDW as well

MOST airports now have a free option where you have to look at a 30 second video of some company and then you get a free hour.

CDG has 15 free minutes that you can use at least. I didn't see anything at TXL, but that is a weird airport.

DrCrawdad
09-24-2011, 08:42 AM
I'm no fan of "Boingo Hotspot" either. Can't the Sox just have free Wi-Fi without it being a "Boingo Hotspot"?

ktssox
09-24-2011, 09:00 AM
I used it at the park last night. It was a pretty quick three-step process to get to the internet. However, it was moving a lot slower than my mobile network (U.S. Cellular) usually does, so I ended up switching back. However, I know some AT&T customers who rarely have service at the park, so for them, I'm sure slow would be better than none.

DSpivack
09-24-2011, 10:03 AM
I'm no fan of "Boingo Hotspot" either. Can't the Sox just have free Wi-Fi without it being a "Boingo Hotspot"?

I just assume it won't be free for long.

http://www.boingo.com/

GoGoCrede
09-24-2011, 12:13 PM

I was at the airport last January and desperately needed to email a paper to my professor, and they charged me. Whaddaya mean it's free?? :o:

voodoochile
09-24-2011, 12:20 PM

Or that it will remain free with Boingo as the provider in exchange for the recognition that will come from being associated with the Sox and having their name plastered all over the park for millions to see.

AnkleSox
09-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Good. Now I can get real time updates of the scores of real sports teams.

DSpivack
09-24-2011, 03:07 PM
I was at the airport last January and desperately needed to email a paper to my professor, and they charged me. Whaddaya mean it's free?? :o:

I meant that Boingo wifi at USCF might not be free for long, although certainly Voodoo's point could be right.

Fenway
09-24-2011, 03:14 PM
This is how Boston Logan does it

http://airportwifi.com/BOS/internet.aspx

whtsox13
09-24-2011, 03:20 PM
I tried it at the game last night. I got on and it worked ok. I got knocked off and was never able to get back on. I tried several times.

Nellie_Fox
09-25-2011, 01:00 AM
At the risk of sounding like a codger :geezer: why does anyone need the internet at the ballgame? I like the internet as much as the next person, I guess, but when I go to a ballgame, that's the last thing on my mind. I already see people at games being more concerned with texting and talking on the phone than they are with the game, now I suppose people will be staring at their iPads, looking up when there is a cheer to say "what happened?"

Or will they be streaming the game and watching it online while the actual game is going on in front of them?

Fenway
09-25-2011, 01:18 AM
At the risk of sounding like a codger :geezer: why does anyone need the internet at the ballgame? I like the internet as much as the next person, I guess, but when I go to a ballgame, that's the last thing on my mind. I already see people at games being more concerned with texting and talking on the phone than they are with the game, now I suppose people will be staring at their iPads, looking up when there is a cheer to say "what happened?"

Or will they be streaming the game and watching it online while the actual game is going on in front of them?

:tongue:

voodoochile
09-25-2011, 02:35 AM

Well I could see that it could serve a purpose to let a busy parent take their kids to the game while being able to work from the park and not have to disappoint the kids or even entertain those kids with something else if they get bored with the game. Also people want to be able to check stats on their fantasy leagues or even follow a second game through MLB.TV.

Even if it's just the crappy reasons you mention, that's their choice too and anything that makes going to the game more attractive is a good thing. Even if the attraction isn't necessarily for the game itself. It might give people the ability to come earlier to the park and spend more money that's cool too. Heck if it's nothing but more advertising revenue from Boingo that's just fine.

LITTLE NELL
09-25-2011, 06:42 AM

I'm an old codger and I agree with you 100%.

tick53
09-25-2011, 08:31 AM
The only thing that would enhance my ballpark experience is to put a winner on the field.

My sentiments exactly. Besides, why spend money on a baseball ticket and sit there on the Internet while the game is being played. I've had enough technology to last me a lifetime. We've become a nation of self-important texters, Googlers and continuous cell phone users. Not to mention push-button Rock Stars. We need to get back to some of the basics of life before it's too late but that's my opinion and I could be wrong.

LITTLE NELL
09-25-2011, 08:49 AM
My sentiments exactly. Besides, why spend money on a baseball ticket and sit there on the Internet while the game is being played. I've had enough technology to last me a lifetime. We've become a nation of self-important texters, Googlers and continuous cell phone users. Not to mention push-button Rock Stars. We need to get back to some of the basics of life before it's too late but that's my opinion and I could be wrong.

You are not wrong.

DumpJerry
09-25-2011, 09:12 AM
My Verizon Blackberry detected it, but could not connect.

My friend's AT&T iPhone did not connect, too.

Fenway
09-25-2011, 09:14 AM
When I was young it was common to bring a radio to the park to listen to what you were watching.

I use my cell at ballparks to check out of town scores.

What the Red Sox have found is wifi helps with the overload of cell phone data as you have so many people uploading photos at once and 3 of the major cell companies (AT&T, Sprint and Verizon) have cell phone antennas on the light towers.

gregoriop
09-25-2011, 11:54 AM

My phone's battery is terrible. It lasts much longer if it's connected to wifi. I don't really use my phone at the park, but not having a dead phone at the end of the night would be nice!

soxfanatlanta
09-25-2011, 08:21 PM
We need to get back to some of the basics of life before it's too late but that's my opinion and I could be wrong.

Seriously, the universe will not implode if Wifi is available at the Cell.

kittle42
09-25-2011, 10:36 PM
Seriously, the universe will not implode if Wifi is available at the Cell.

It'll be OK if we get rid of concession stands and make fans grow their own food.

Brian26
09-25-2011, 11:17 PM
It'll be OK if we get rid of concession stands and make fans grow their own food.

:rolling:

Brian26
09-25-2011, 11:23 PM
At the risk of sounding like a codger :geezer: why does anyone need the internet at the ballgame?

-When I've gone to games this summer by myself, I've usually kept score. It's a terrific tool to be able to look at my phone if I miss a play and fill in the correct call.

-It's a great way to check scores or stats for other teams/players for fantasy baseball since the out of town board is impossible to read at the Cell from any distance.

-I can talk to Brent Ballantini, Jim Margalus or Garfein on Twitter during the game, as those two guys more than any other writers actually make intelligent comments on actual plays during the game.

- I can log into WSI and check the game thread and post pictures.

All that being said, I appreciate what a baseball game is supposed to be. There is, however, enough down-time with commercial breaks and pitching changes to use the internet at the park to enhance the game experience and not to lose it.

DSpivack
09-25-2011, 11:39 PM
-When I've gone to games this summer by myself, I've usually kept score. It's a terrific tool to be able to look at my phone if I miss a play and fill in the correct call.

-It's a great way to check scores or stats for other teams/players for fantasy baseball since the out of town board is impossible to read at the Cell from any distance.

-I can talk to Brent Ballantini, Jim Margalus or Garfein on Twitter during the game, as those two guys more than any other writers actually make intelligent comments on actual plays during the game.

- I can log into WSI and check the game thread and post pictures.

All that being said, I appreciate what a baseball game is supposed to be. There is, however, enough down-time with commercial breaks and pitching changes to use the internet at the park to enhance the game experience and not to lose it.

I'm already following Garfein, but those are two new people for me to follow. Thanks! :cool:

Nellie_Fox
09-26-2011, 01:00 AM
-It's a great way to check scores or stats for other teams/players for fantasy baseballI should have known.