PDA

View Full Version : Haugh: Jerry should let Ozzie walk

Vernam
09-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Is there a columnist left in this town who isn't a master of the obvious (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0923-haugh-ozzie-guillen-white-sox-chicago--20110923,0,305893.column)? Haugh is not even really coherent here. It's dated September 23, so maybe they posted this before he was done writing it.

He tells Ozzie not to let the door hit him in the ass, then says they should give him a statue. Hell, let's just retire his number while we're at it.

Vernam

Lip Man 1
09-22-2011, 10:09 PM
I think the column summed up the situation pretty well and outlined the points that most fans feel are the issues surrounding Ozzie and his tenure as least in the past few years.

Sometimes there's nothing wrong with "stating the obvious" especially when a lot of folks are reading it. (Me thinks maybe even Jerry??)

The Tribune still has a good numbers of readers remember.

Lip

Brian26
09-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Is there a columnist left in this town who isn't a master of the obvious (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0923-haugh-ozzie-guillen-white-sox-chicago--20110923,0,305893.column)? Haugh is not even really coherent here. It's dated September 23, so maybe they posted this before he was done writing it.

He tells Ozzie not to let the door hit him in the ass, then says they should give him a statue. Hell, let's just retire his number while we're at it.

Vernam

Fans need something to piss on. Very prophetic, that Ozzie.

doublem23
09-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Haugh is just awful. It's too bad there is no newspaper competition left in this town, the Trib can run out their lineup of morons; Haugh, Rosenbloom, Rogers... and there's nothing anyone can do because what's the alternative? The Sun-Times?

Harry Potter
09-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Haugh is just awful. It's too bad there is no newspaper competition left in this town, the Trib can run out their lineup of morons; Haugh, Rosenbloom, Rogers... and there's nothing anyone can do because what's the alternative? The Sun-Times?

Sadly both newspapers are a joke. I was reading the Sun-Times last Sunday and noted a handful of errors in the first few pages of the sports section. The best was the MLB standings column that said the Sox were on a 7-game losing streak but were 0-10 in their last 10 games :scratch:

doublem23
09-22-2011, 10:49 PM
Sadly both newspapers are a joke. I was reading the Sun-Times last Sunday and noted a handful of errors in the first few pages of the sports section. The best was the MLB standings column that said the Sox were on a 7-game losing streak but were 0-10 in their last 10 games :scratch:

The Tribune Sports Section is bruuuuuuuuuutal no doubt, but I like most of the rest of the paper, good news section, coherent editorials, good special sections. I picked up a Sun-Times a few weeks ago and wow, they're not even trying.

Vernam
09-23-2011, 06:06 AM
The Tribune Sports Section is bruuuuuuuuuutal no doubt, but I like most of the rest of the paper, good news section, coherent editorials, good special sections. I picked up a Sun-Times a few weeks ago and wow, they're not even trying.

The Trib really stepped up its news reporting several months ago. You can see signs that the transportation reporters, for example, have more time and support to focus on relatively in-depth stories. The improved quality has not made its way to the sports desk, however, which is putting it kindly.

And the Sun-Times staff seems to be permanently demoralized. I'll only read that if someone leaves a copy on the train.

Vernam

jdm2662
09-23-2011, 08:45 AM
I think the column summed up the situation pretty well and outlined the points that most fans feel are the issues surrounding Ozzie and his tenure as least in the past few years.

Sometimes there's nothing wrong with "stating the obvious" especially when a lot of folks are reading it. (Me thinks maybe even Jerry??)

The Tribune still has a good numbers of readers remember.

Lip

Haugh is nothing but a front runner. Anyone can write like that. I said in 2006 on this very board if the Sox start to lose, Ozzie's cute and funny act will get old quick. As for myself, I was willing look past him acting like an assphat if he continued to be a good manager. I felt he was a good manager until this season. He's had his worse season by far. It's time for a new regime, and most people will agree with this. I still think he can be a good manager elsewhere, but his time has expired here. Happens all the time in sports. A person can be the right hire at the right time, but eventually, things change, and so a change in regime is in order.

Haugh was a Bears writer until about two years ago. Let me see if I can remember some examples:

After a solid first half, Haugh felt the Bears have to give Orton a 6/60 contract just like the Packers did with Aaron Rogers a few days ago. Nevermind the fact Rogers was a UFA at the end of the season and Orton still had one year remaining. Those talks cooled once Orton hurt his ankle and had a rather meh second half.

After buring the Bears secondary on a play, Haugh writes should the Bears have kept Bernard Berrian. Of course, he failed to mention that Berrian was always a deep threat, and not much else. Nevermind the fact Berrian signed an outragous contract that the Vikings were already regreting by year two.

After Olin Kreutz walked, Haugh said it was a huge mistake. Nevermind just two years ago after a spat with the team, it was time for the agiing and washed up C and the Bears to move on.

Those are just a few examples, and I'm sure Doub has more.

tick53
09-25-2011, 07:11 AM
What the hell does pantload David Haugh know???

24thStFan
09-25-2011, 07:41 AM

Nothing...he's a hack who writes stream of consciousness sensationalism. It's sad that a Chicago newspaper would employ someone with such little regard for quality.

DrCrawdad
09-25-2011, 07:46 AM

Certainly not baseball. Late March 2010 Haugh wrote this column (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-03-31/sports/ct-spt-0401-haugh--20100331_1_ryan-theriot-tyler-colvin-cubs-gm-jim-hendry) about the Cubbies, he had a few "ifs" in their but it was a fluffer piece, worthy of "VineLine" or some fanzine. To close his column, Haugh mocked those who as he said, "predicted doom" for the 2010 Cubbies.

The 2010 Cubbies finished 70-88, 23 games out of first. Of course, IF they had won their record would have been much better...

SI1020
09-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Certainly not baseball. Late March 2010 Haugh wrote this column (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-03-31/sports/ct-spt-0401-haugh--20100331_1_ryan-theriot-tyler-colvin-cubs-gm-jim-hendry) about the Cubbies, he had a few "ifs" in their but it was a fluffer piece, worthy of "VineLine" or some fanzine. To close his column, Haugh mocked those who as he said, "predicted doom" for the 2010 Cubbies.

The 2010 Cubbies finished 70-88, 23 games out of first. Of course, IF they had won their record would have been much better... I didn't realize what a terrible year it's been for Colvin. He's got a very Dunn like line, but at least he can play a little defense.

Vernam
09-25-2011, 01:39 PM

That question is so irresistible, it deserves a thread all its own. Judging by today's massive front-page dump (w.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0925-haugh-bears-packers-chicago--20110924,0,4885993.column), Haugh sure knows how to lay a big wet kiss on Joe Buck's pruney ass.

Someone will probably chide me, but for decades the Trib's use of "In the Wake of the News" for their showcase sports columnists has been kind of sad and dated. Yes, I know about its illustrious history, and the current seat holders only suffer in comparison. Even the "wake" metaphor makes it sound like they're lackeys who aren't really in the swim of things -- fit for the Bard's Room. I guess we could be thankful for them in this age of people like Cowley and his moronic role model, but can't there be a happy medium between the pit bulls and the suck-ups?

Vernam