PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 9-22 CLE 11 SOX 2 Postgame Thread

Frater Perdurabo
09-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Not much to see here.

slavko
09-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Caught a break on the ground rule double and the god of baseball made them suffer for the rest of the game.

tstrike2000
09-22-2011, 10:39 PM
At least three of our guys didn't get drilled by Cleveland pitching tonight resulting in our manager doing his usual nothing about it.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2011, 11:03 PM
74th time this season the Sox scored three runs or less in a game.

Six games left and they have to win em' all for a "winning" season.

Lip

A. Cavatica
09-22-2011, 11:05 PM
They'll hit when the weather warms up.

BainesHOF
09-22-2011, 11:07 PM
At least three of our guys didn't get drilled by Cleveland pitching tonight resulting in our manager doing his usual nothing about it.

Guillen and Cooper should be fired for the lack of retaliation. It's been going on for years.

The silence from the players on Guillen's status is deafening.

Brian26
09-22-2011, 11:10 PM
I didn't realize Judy is the guy that broke Lillibridge's hand.

What a bunch of pansies. This is a completely unlikeable group of guys minus PK and MB56. Alexei's lost me too. He had a chance to slide hard into 2nd base the other night after he got hit, and he went in softer than Carlos Lee in 2004 right before he was shipped out of town.

tstrike2000
09-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Guillen and Cooper should be fired for the lack of retaliation. It's been going on for years.

The silence from the players on Guillen's status is deafening.

I read yesterday the Sox lead MLB in hit batsmen and we were second in the league last year. Would be really nice to have a manager that sticks up for his players instead of just sitting in the dugout dumbfounded. But that's Ozzie.

Falstaff
09-23-2011, 12:30 AM
I read yesterday the Sox lead MLB in hit batsmen and we were second in the league last year. Would be really nice to have a manager that sticks up for his players instead of just sitting in the dugout dumbfounded. But that's Ozzie.

That is a very telling statistic. It explains a bit of why the offense has sukd, and particularly gets cold instead of clutch. The opposing pitchers are able to
back our guys off the plate and thus own the outside corner plus garbage just beyond it. Our guys can't step up and own the plate because.... see above.
When RISP, this dynamic really lcomes into play. If I can see that why can't the great Oz? Doesn't know or doesn't care?

Nelson Foxtrot
09-23-2011, 01:18 AM
74th time this season the Sox scored three runs or less in a game.

That stat lines up very well with overall offensive futility. There is more variation among the good offenses, but the bottom five are in the same order in both of two categories.

Fewest runs per game (AL):
Mariners, Twins, A's, Sox, Angels

Most games with 3 runs or less scored (AL):
Mariners, Twins, A's, Sox, Angels

wassagstdu
09-23-2011, 07:56 AM
That is a very telling statistic. It explains a bit of why the offense has sukd, and particularly gets cold instead of clutch. The opposing pitchers are able to
back our guys off the plate and thus own the outside corner plus garbage just beyond it. Our guys can't step up and own the plate because.... see above.
When RISP, this dynamic really lcomes into play. If I can see that why can't the great Oz? Doesn't know or doesn't care?

Do you really think that the threat of retaliation prevents pitchers from backing other teams' hitters off the plate? In the American League? Is that what prevents Sox pitchers from hitting batters? I doubt it.

I have another theory. Sox hitters go up to the plate so focused on looking for a particular pitch and putting in in the seats that they have trouble reacting to hit anything other than that pitch. Basically they are mechanical zombies, which is exactly what they look like to me a lot of the time. The same attitude that makes situational hitting so rare also makes it more difficult for Sox hitters to react to the inside pitch by getting out of the way. How many times have we seen them dive into an inside pitch?

hawkjt
09-23-2011, 10:30 AM
I am not sure that the HBP stat is really just two guys (Carlos-23,Gordo-13) being especially prone to being hit,or a significant stat indicating something about our staff or our hitting approach?

Between Carlos and Gordo there is 36 of our total of 82 right there.
Everyone knows that Carlos dives in,and with his big upper body, he cannot get out of the way. Teams do not want him to get his arms extended and so pitch him inside. He is a true HBP magnet,who leads the league consistently,I believe.

Gordo is also someone that seems to commit very early and get his hands out over the plate and draws hbp. He is lucky not to have had his hands or wrist broken already.
Both of these guys have to adjust or risk chronic injury.