PDA

View Full Version : Fan survey from the Sox today

DumpJerry
09-22-2011, 01:51 PM
I got an email today from the Sox with a fan survey. This is not the season ticket holder survey. Among the questions it asked was what would it take to get me to attend more Sox games next year, I responded "winning." It then asked what else would get me there more often to which I said "warmer weather in April" to see if they can do something about that.

Since it had me indicate early on if I was a season ticket holder and what plan I had, I thought it was silly it asked me what it would take to get me out there more often. It also asked if I was given two free tickets for the Upper Deck, would I accept them. I said I would not. It then asked why and I pointed out (again) that I was a full season ticket holder, I already have tickets.

Milw
09-22-2011, 02:08 PM
I answered that I'd go to more games if the atmosphere was less like an NBA game. Not that it's that big a deal, but there have been days where I've had crappy seats in conjunction with bad weather and decided that the irritation of not being able to talk to the person sitting next to me just isn't worth the time/effort. I realize that sounds curmudgeonly, but it's the truth.

kittle42
09-22-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm salivating to get my season ticket holder survey.

LITTLE NELL
09-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Just filled out mine also, a lot of the questions I had to answer as if I still lived in the Chicago area.
Seems to me as If they are trying to address the premium pricing issue.
Good for them.

DumpJerry
09-22-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm salivating to get my season ticket holder survey.
That came out about two months ago. Get a towel.

kittle42
09-22-2011, 03:12 PM
That came out about two months ago. Get a towel.

How the hell did I miss it? Ohhhhh, wait, I *did* respond to that one. Never mind. My brain is fried from lawyering and marathon training and alcohol.

russ99
09-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Awesome survey.

It's good that the Sox are reaching out to their fans like this.

My #1 reason top go to more games:
Less kinds of ticket pricing. It would be far better if there was one fair ticket price for every game.

#2 - Team performance, likeable players.

Johnny Mostil
09-22-2011, 04:14 PM
I got one, tried filling it out, but couldn't get past the second page. I wasn't sure if it was my browser or something else causing the problem.

roylestillman
09-22-2011, 04:31 PM
I wish I had checked here before I filled mine out. I would have given them the what for about dynamic pricing.

Did anybody else hear that the Hawks dropped their premium pricing? Of course they just bumped them all upmto the higher price, but I heard they got rid of it.

KenBerryGrab
09-22-2011, 04:39 PM
I happily filled mine out, and I'd happily take the two free upper-deck seats.

DumpJerry
09-22-2011, 04:46 PM
I wish I had checked here before I filled mine out. I would have given them the what for about dynamic pricing.
Do it again. If it blocks you because you did it already, do it from anther computer (different ISP address).

GlassSox
09-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Just completed submitting mine, that was fun. We can only hope that maybe our input will be taken seriously.

amsteel
09-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Interesting to see them do this, but I have my doubts that we will see any major changes in pricing

Vernam
09-22-2011, 07:39 PM
I answered that I'd go to more games if the atmosphere was less like an NBA game. Not that it's that big a deal, but there have been days where I've had crappy seats in conjunction with bad weather and decided that the irritation of not being able to talk to the person sitting next to me just isn't worth the time/effort. I realize that sounds curmudgeonly, but it's the truth.

I totally agree. Brought a group of five friends in August and was excited to find three seats near mine, which are in the front row of the upper deck. The music was so loud that we went to sit at the top of the upper deck. Of course, the Yanks had scored six runs in the first, so . . .

Number one feedback I gave the Sox recently is to get rid of Ozzie. I'm not making a decision to renew my tix until they decide about him.

Vernam

Hitmen77
09-22-2011, 07:46 PM
Who did they send the survey to? I'm pretty sure I get e-mails from the Sox, but I didn't see this one.

chisoxfanatic
09-22-2011, 07:58 PM

Did anybody else hear that the Hawks dropped their premium pricing? Of course they just bumped them all up to the higher price, but I heard they got rid of it.
The Hawks did not get rid of the premium pricing.

I've filled out these surveys before, and it seemed as if the stuff they asked us about weren't even addressed. It's nice to have surveys, but hopefully it will actually cause changes, and especially for dumb ideas like dynamic pricing.

A friend told me that she heard that the Sox might start charging different amounts based on the pitching match-up. I don't know who or what her source was, though. Has anyone else heard of this?

Vernam
09-22-2011, 09:09 PM
A friend told me that she heard that the Sox might start charging different amounts based on the pitching match-up. I don't know who or what her source was, though. Has anyone else heard of this?

Unconfirmed, but they ought to consider giving us free beer when Peavy pitches.

Vernam

Johnny Mostil
09-22-2011, 09:24 PM

I haven't heard anything about this, but I was surprised to see questions about how pitching matchups figure into my decision to attend games. That would seem to be a question aimed at the walk-up market. I have considered pitching matchups in deciding whether to attend, but only when my schedule was more flexible than it is today.

amsteel
09-22-2011, 09:28 PM

I can't find a source, but I think SF does this. If I remember correctly, they consider a bunch of factors for their dynamic pricing: pitching, weather, day of week, etc.

DSpivack
09-22-2011, 09:30 PM
I haven't heard anything about this, but I was surprised to see questions about how pitching matchups figure into my decision to attend games. That would seem to be a question aimed at the walk-up market. I have considered pitching matchups in deciding whether to attend, but only when my schedule was more flexible than it is today.

Not necessarily walk-up IMHO, but with those just buying tickets in the few days leading up to a game, sure. Also, if there is a good pitching match-up they'll charge more if they hear positive feedback.

Brian26
09-22-2011, 10:04 PM
I just took the survey. My take based on the questions being asked is that the Sox are trying to gauge how affordable their tickets and concessions are based on the current economy.

It's a very telling question to ask if you would accept free upper deck tickets if it worked within your schedule.

So, even though the SportsService concessions are third-world quality and the music is too loud, I don't think they care.

BainesHOF
09-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Number one feedback I gave the Sox recently is to get rid of Ozzie. I'm not making a decision to renew my tix until they decide about him.

Vernam

I responded the same way.

The survey asked questions in a convoluted way. Typical of the organization these days.

Whitesox029
09-22-2011, 10:57 PM
My #1 response was "A legitimate contender. To that end, a DH who is actually better at hitting than most pitchers would be nice"
In the section for my #2 answer, I sort of let them have it for constantly marketing to the casual fan/lowest common denominator and thus destroying the ballpark atmosphere. I just feel empty these days when after a Sox HR I hear that incredibly lame song they've been playing for a couple years now. How hard is it to record "Na Na Hey Hey" on the organ and play it after HRs. Same thing goes double for "Sweet Home Chicago" after the Sox win a game.

Not that they'll pay attention to that.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2011, 11:00 PM
I'm curious about this survey and who got it.

Was it simply random fans and how did the Sox get your e-mail address in the first place? Or was this for season ticket holders?

Lip

sullythered
09-22-2011, 11:19 PM
How the hell did I miss it? Ohhhhh, wait, I *did* respond to that one. Never mind. My brain is fried from lawyering and marathon training and alcohol.

How in the **** do you pull those off in conjunction? We're pretty much the same age, and I can barely get my few-mile nightly bike ride in when I had a few the day before.

tebman
09-22-2011, 11:21 PM
I just sent mine in. I've got an Ozzie Plan ticket package, so I assume that's why I was on the list.

I said too that an energetic, winning team would get me to more games. I explained that I meant this club's lack of focus and plain baseball savvy, such as the way situational hitting has been abandoned except by Konerko and Pierre. No amount of annoying canned music can make up for a lackluster team.

Here's hoping they take these responses seriously.

chisoxfanatic
09-22-2011, 11:38 PM

Was it simply random fans and how did the Sox get your e-mail address in the first place? Or was this for season ticket holders?

Lip

Online sales is a big way for them to get that information.

DSpivack
09-22-2011, 11:54 PM

Lip

Online sales is a big way for them to get that information.

I went to one game this season, and that was because my cousin's friend had free tickets. But I have bought tickets online in prior years.

ChiSoxGal85
09-22-2011, 11:58 PM

Lip
I got one and I am not a season ticket holder. I am on the Sox's email list though; I get emails about promotions and merchandise every other day or so.

LITTLE NELL
09-23-2011, 05:18 AM

Lip

I bought tickets through the Sox Website this summer so thats how they have my E-mail address.

Dan H
09-23-2011, 05:25 AM
I haven't seen this survey but I remember some fan surveys of the late '90's. Those were useless. The main message I would want to send is the team has to make significant changes. That will be difficult considering the contracts they are obligated to now. But the team needs to make whatever changes it can, and it can start with the manager.

Lundind1
09-23-2011, 07:11 AM
I hope all of you asked for much lower ticket pricing. The dynamic pricing is a bad idea, and one that is based largely off the SF model factoring team performance, day of the week, game time, pitching matchup, etc. So they are already doing this. It is not like it has yielded any lower or significantly higher pricing though, as the team has been pretty bad.

But $100 each for a Cubs/Sox Series game, in the middle of the week no less, what are your finance people smoking...especially in this economy. The company that I work for would die if we raised prices this drastically. I just believe that the economic break point is much lower than they are estimating. The economic break point being where the prices for the item are so low that they generate no profit benefit for the company. Look at it this way: If they charged a significantly less price for tickets, would you be more inclined to go to a game? I say yes, but there is a point where the price is too low and they wouldn't benefit from this revenue stream. Also, they could reach their concession commission tiers faster and generate more revenue from concession and merchandise sales.

I was looking at some old tickets from 5 years ago and was shocked at just how high the pricing has gotten. I am just shocked at how out of hand you could let your pricing get before you have the perfect business storm of too high pricing, a bunch of pretty bad weather this year, a bad ballclub, a bad economy, less corporate advertising partners, and bad contracts. All of this has to give at some point or another, and it is time to really listen to the customers who are leaving and not coming back. I also understand that ticketing is a small component of a much larger, complex financial system but if you lose fans to other entertainment avenues now, you are also losing potential dollars later, which will equate to more.

I for one, am taking the roughly $175 a game and spending it on 4-5 fantastic rounds of golf these days. Same amount of time, same level of enjoyment (frustrations and all), beer and hot dogs also sometimes.

Sorry, just some musings from what has been a very disappointing year all around...

Hitmen77
09-23-2011, 07:41 AM
I got one and I am not a season ticket holder. I am on the Sox's email list though; I get emails about promotions and merchandise every other day or so.

They do have my e-mail address because I have bought tickets online for certain promotions. I have received e-mails from the team on other things such as Ladies Night and Legacy Brick night.....but I did not get this survey.

LITTLE NELL
09-23-2011, 07:41 AM
The Sox better look at this survey and not sluff it off.
I think there was something wrong from the beginning of the year weather it being the economy or high ticket and parking prices to go along with premium pricing, I don't know. When you look at the signing of Dunn and bringing back PK and AJ and a payroll of 127,000,000 bucks there should have been much more excitement and a higher season ticket base. For some reason the fans just did not believe in this team enough to line up and buy season tickets. Then another horrible start which doomed any more advance ticket sales. For the Sox who are in the 3rd largest market to be 20th in 2011 attendance stinks.

Hitmen77
09-23-2011, 08:11 AM
The "duh" answer about getting more fans to come out is "winning". The Sox, though, need to understand what that means. It means not being satisfied with keeping people like Ozzie and Greg Walker just because they're like family and have been loyal to JR for decades. When your team underperforms for 5 years, you can't keep thinking everyone is doing a great job.

Commitment to winning also doesn't mean just throwing money at washed up players like Manny, inconsistent over paid players like Jackson, and .250 strikeout machines that saw their numbers ominously decline late last season. Commitment means commitment to putting enough resources into our farm system so that we turn out more than bust after bust. You don't get there my spending near the bottom on player drafting/development. The reality is that it's tough to win when you try to constantly do so on the backs of reclamation projects. In the end, they will only get you so far more often than not. Oh and commitment to winning does NOT mean just trying to be good enough to win in a weak division.

As far as off-the-field stuff. I agree that the team needs to take a good look at their pricing structure.

The Sox better look at this survey and not sluff it off.
I think there was something wrong from the beginning of the year weather it being the economy or high ticket and parking prices to go along with premium pricing, I don't know. When you look at the signing of Dunn and bringing back PK and AJ and a payroll of 127,000,000 bucks there should have been much more excitement and a higher season ticket base. For some reason the fans just did not believe in this team enough to line up and buy season tickets. Then another horrible start which doomed any more advance ticket sales. For the Sox who are in the 3rd largest market to be 20th in 2011 attendance stinks.

I think that part is just reality. Most teams are not going to suddenly find bad weather/school night/etc. April tickets in hot demand because of a beefed up roster. The reality is that, until fans feel pressure to grab early season tickets while they can (because tickets over all are hard to come by), they're not going to rush and by those tickets online in February. When you have the luxury of waiting to get good tickets at the last minute on stubhub or waiting to get tickets for a bunch of games during the summer, people are going to choose those options even if they're excited about the team.

Rocky Soprano
09-23-2011, 09:12 AM

That was my number one feedback as well.

kittle42
09-23-2011, 09:45 AM
But $100 each for a Cubs/Sox Series game, in the middle of the week no less, what are your finance people smoking...especially in this economy.

Yet they still had 36,000 for one game and 35,000 each for the other two...seems like it's still a good idea financially.

Johnny Mostil
09-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Not necessarily walk-up IMHO, but with those just buying tickets in the few days leading up to a game, sure. Also, if there is a good pitching match-up they'll charge more if they hear positive feedback.

Fair point, but are pitching matchups too variable for basing ticket prices? If I pay premium prices several days beforehand to see, say, Verlander or Sabathia, will the Sox refund part of my money if they're moved back a day because of, say, a rainout?

JB98
09-23-2011, 01:16 PM
I hope all of you asked for much lower ticket pricing. The dynamic pricing is a bad idea, and one that is based largely off the SF model factoring team performance, day of the week, game time, pitching matchup, etc. So they are already doing this. It is not like it has yielded any lower or significantly higher pricing though, as the team has been pretty bad.

But $100 each for a Cubs/Sox Series game, in the middle of the week no less, what are your finance people smoking...especially in this economy. The company that I work for would die if we raised prices this drastically. I just believe that the economic break point is much lower than they are estimating. The economic break point being where the prices for the item are so low that they generate no profit benefit for the company. Look at it this way: If they charged a significantly less price for tickets, would you be more inclined to go to a game? I say yes, but there is a point where the price is too low and they wouldn't benefit from this revenue stream. Also, they could reach their concession commission tiers faster and generate more revenue from concession and merchandise sales.

I was looking at some old tickets from 5 years ago and was shocked at just how high the pricing has gotten. I am just shocked at how out of hand you could let your pricing get before you have the perfect business storm of too high pricing, a bunch of pretty bad weather this year, a bad ballclub, a bad economy, less corporate advertising partners, and bad contracts. All of this has to give at some point or another, and it is time to really listen to the customers who are leaving and not coming back. I also understand that ticketing is a small component of a much larger, complex financial system but if you lose fans to other entertainment avenues now, you are also losing potential dollars later, which will equate to more.

I for one, am taking the roughly $175 a game and spending it on 4-5 fantastic rounds of golf these days. Same amount of time, same level of enjoyment (frustrations and all), beer and hot dogs also sometimes.

Sorry, just some musings from what has been a very disappointing year all around...

I did. When asked what would get me out to more games, I said cheaper tickets. I've been a 27-game plan holder since 2006 and I had an Ozzie plan before that. But they are getting dangerously close to pricing me out.

My No. 2 answer was, of course, winning. We all prefer to win, but if the organization decided a rebuilding plan was necessary, I would still support it if the ticket prices fit my budget.

Jerko
09-23-2011, 01:36 PM
Is there a link to this survey so I can take it?

cheezheadsoxfan
09-23-2011, 04:57 PM
I got the feeling they might consider lowering some prices. Particularly for the outfield bleachers which would make this old White Sox fan very happy.

First year I didn't go to a game. It took losing my job to do it.

We'll see. :shrug:

chisoxfanatic
09-23-2011, 05:03 PM
I got the feeling they might consider lowering some prices. Particularly for the outfield bleachers which would make this old White Sox fan very happy.

First year I didn't go to a game. It took losing my job to do it.

We'll see. :shrug:
I'm sorry you lost your job! :(:

I do agree, the bleacher seats are priced way too high! They are just a few dollars less than seats between the bases and the foul pole!

ilsox7
09-23-2011, 06:33 PM

I hope not. It would make no sense to make this survey available to the public.

Jerko
09-23-2011, 08:40 PM

I agree but I am a season ticket holder/group leader/stadium club member and they have at least 2 of my email addresses. I want in!

ilsox7
09-23-2011, 08:41 PM
I agree but I am a season ticket holder/group leader/stadium club member and they have at least 2 of my email addresses. I want in!

I would just call them up, tell them you spend a large amount of money on the organization, and you'd like to give some constructive feedback!

Brian26
09-23-2011, 08:49 PM

whitesox.com/survey

ilsox7
09-23-2011, 08:51 PM
whitesox.com/survey

Wow. Horribly pathetic move by the organization making this available for anyone. Talk about screwing up any data actually collected.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Thank you for posting that. I was able to participate in it.

Lip

StillMissOzzie
09-24-2011, 12:57 AM

Wow. Horribly pathetic move by the organization making this available for anyone. Talk about screwing up any data actually collected.

So only the ST holder's opinions carry any weight? You don't think that they should hear from the riff raff? Seems to me that they have already convinced the ST holders, and that it is the discretionary game attender whose opinion might carry more sway. They don't need to convince ST holders to go to more games - they already have your dough anyhow!

SMO
:o:

ilsox7
09-24-2011, 01:15 AM
So only the ST holder's opinions carry any weight? You don't think that they should hear from the riff raff? Seems to me that they have already convinced the ST holders, and that it is the discretionary game attender whose opinion might carry more sway. They don't need to convince ST holders to go to more games - they already have your dough anyhow!

SMO
:o:

That's not what I said at all. Only those who actually got an email should be able to fill out the survey. The Sox have thousands of email addresses of people who they know have bought tickets and expressed interest in the team historically. Those are the people you want filling this survey out. Allowing it to be open to anyone who types in the URL is just plain stupid. We live in the type of world where people will go complete the survey multiple times, with poo intentions, etc, rendering the data they actually do collect moot.

EDIT: I'm not even close to a season ticker holder. Also did not get the email, but did do the survey, even though it really won't matter.

kittle42
09-24-2011, 01:26 AM
Only those who actually got an email should be able to fill out the survey.

Also did not get the email, but did do the survey, even though it really won't matter.

Something.

ilsox7
09-24-2011, 01:33 AM
Something.

I was bored and wanted to vent about Ozzie. Like I said, it really does not matter b/c the data is shot anyways. They have my email address, the fact that they are not hitting all of their folks who buy single game tickets is just ridiculous. They really are clueless when it comes to some things.

Lundind1
09-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Yet they still had 36,000 for one game and 35,000 each for the other two...seems like it's still a good idea financially.

See, I understand that the "paid" attendance numbers look like that, but I know better. I am not going to get into the whole attendance/blame/complaints area. What I am going to say is that there were a ton of empty seats there for that series (in comparison to recent years) and people were dumping tickets for less than face. I was also able to get in for very cheap from the secondary market.

So yes, it may have seemed like a good idea to do it this year, but something has been lost in this series and pricing it that high is unwarranted or will be in future years.

Just my two cents...

dickallen15
09-24-2011, 08:32 AM
See, I understand that the "paid" attendance numbers look like that, but I know better. I am not going to get into the whole attendance/blame/complaints area. What I am going to say is that there were a ton of empty seats there for that series (in comparison to recent years) and people were dumping tickets for less than face. I was also able to get in for very cheap from the secondary market.

So yes, it may have seemed like a good idea to do it this year, but something has been lost in this series and pricing it that high is unwarranted or will be in future years.

Just my two cents...
The thing that was lost in the series this year was both teams were boring and bad. That said, I was able to sell my Cubs tickets on stubhub for a lot more than any other series this year.

The cheap stubhub tickets may be a problem in the future if the Sox don't straighten out a few things. The lower the season ticket base, the fewer seats will be on there. The box office will be back into play so the pricing will become more important. Hopefully they do away with "dynamic" pricing. Trying to squeeze every last penny out of someone to watch many meaningless games can really haunt you down the road when the people who decided to spend their money elsewhere figure out they really liked what they did and would rather do that than go to a ballgame in the future.

russ99
09-24-2011, 08:06 PM
The thing that was lost in the series this year was both teams were boring and bad. That said, I was able to sell my Cubs tickets on stubhub for a lot more than any other series this year.

The cheap stubhub tickets may be a problem in the future if the Sox don't straighten out a few things. The lower the season ticket base, the fewer seats will be on there. The box office will be back into play so the pricing will become more important. Hopefully they do away with "dynamic" pricing. Trying to squeeze every last penny out of someone to watch many meaningless games can really haunt you down the road when the people who decided to spend their money elsewhere figure out they really liked what they did and would rather do that than go to a ballgame in the future.

I added this in my comment on the survey. It's easier to get tickets for an expected price on StubHub than to get a ticket from the Sox. Especially when me and my friends make an impulse decision to go to a game.

ChiSoxGal85
09-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Btw, I believe the Sox advertised the survey during tonight's game. I didn't hear exactly what Hawk said about it, but I looked up to see the survey address on the screen.

Max Power
09-26-2011, 03:51 PM
I just finished the survey. The instrument wasn't great, but it was better than I expected. The one thing that really bothered me is they grouped the entire upper deck together. There's a huge difference between the upper deck on the infield and the UP out by the foul poles.